• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch really needs an addictive loot game

Truant

I'm absolutely in love with the Switch as a concept, but I miss a Diablo style game with loot, character building, addictive combat and some sort of addictive progression system.

The closest thing right now is Binding of Isaac, but it doesn't quite scratch that itch. I think this style of game would be perfect for a hybrid console.

rtcn63

Torchlight 2 or maybe even Grim Dawn could work, if they adapted it for controller use. Good loot games are few and far between admittedly.

Oregano

Ahh the early days of a Nintendo console when you think "oh wow, x game/genre would be perfect on this" and then slowly realise it's never going to happen. :(

EDarkness

Ahh the early days of a Nintendo console when you think "oh wow, x game/genre would be perfect on this" and then slowly realise it's never going to happen. :(

Kinda like that lightsaber game everyone wanted, but never happened. Big missed opportunity there. Good thing we did get a Ghostbusters game. Catching ghosts was awesome as hell in the Wii version.

Effect

Nah. Zelda doesn't really fit the mold. You get a lot of loot from fights yeah but not really the same thing as getting tons of different armor and weapons all with various stats, looks, etc. Zelda has some of that but it's extremely limited compared to something like the Diablo series or Torchlight series or loot based games out there.

I would like something like that a lot. A lot of the time it's just fun going from dungeon crawl to crawl with collection tons of look and armor sets over and over again. I'd love a Diablo 3 port to be honest. Would gladly double dip on that so I could play it in front of my TV instead of on my PC while watching shows.

Has Been Heroes is addictive as shit once you beat the first run.

I still need to pick that up.

Might I recommend Disgaea? A game where, even using a 100% guide and luck, it takes literally hundreds of hours to max even a single character's stats. Now do it for your entire party. A decade has passed. Congrats.

I was thinking of replying Binding of Isaac before I finished reading your OP because that scratches my Diablo itch and then some.

But Diablo 3 would be great too. Or Borderlands 2/3?

I think Blizzard is missing out on not porting Diablo as soon as possible. Say what you want about any port not being viable for a dev to move to Switch. But eff off of you think Diablo isn't perfect.

Truant

Might I recommend Disgaea? A game where, even using a 100% guide and luck, it takes literally hundreds of hours to max even a single character's stats. Now do it for your entire party. 9 years have passed. Congrats.

I played the demo. I liked the fact that it had a lot of systems, but I always feel like I'm playing tactics game the wrong way. I don't think it's for me.

rtcn63

I could see them getting Borderlands 3. The Wii u got Aliens Colonial Marines, so Randy supporting it doesn't feel impossible.

Wasn't Borderlands 2 a really demanding game for its time? Remember that Vita port... yikes. (Okay, the Switch isn't as performance limited as the Vita) Still better than nothing I guess.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sad to see everyone bringing up third party game that will never, ever see the light of day on Switch. :( But we can dream.

Come one Heroes of Ruin 2!

Torchlight 2 or maybe even Grim Dawn could work, if they adapted it for controller use. Good loot games are few and far between admittedly.

I actually bought the 360 version of the first in that backwards-compatibility sale.

Couleurs

I know it's probably already been discussed to death elsewhere, but I feel like Zelda is the complete opposite of what the OP is wanting since progression isn't really based on loot due to disposable weapons, limited armor options, and most character progression being based on increasing hearts/stamina.

Not that these design decisions make Zelda bad or anything (even if some dislike these aspects); just that it's not a loot focused game.

Effect

Blizzard going all-in to give us Overwatch/Diablo 3 on Switch is the dream. Sadly I'm not convinced it will ever be reality.

Diablo would be more likely then Overwatch I think since that's not updated as often. Assuming the supporting another product line would be a problem and why Overwatch won't really be getting a Switch version and isn't even considered. Both are ultimately fantasies though and not holding my breath.

If Has Been Heroes has that random loot aspect then I really need to check it out.

Top Bottom