• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch really needs an addictive loot game

rtcn63

Come one Heroes of Ruin 2!

I actually bought the 360 version of the first in that backwards-compatibility sale.

Torchlight 2 is a lot better with loot, in a similar vein to Borderlands 1 -> Borderlands 2. Not as good as Diablo 3 post-Loot 2.0, but still a very fun (if relatively somewhat casual) game for people not tethered to spreadsheets.

Oregano

The sad thing about that is I think that even if the Wii U became a success, we STILL wouldn't have gotten a game like that. The realization of that is sad.

Yup even when N-Space was developing literally the exact concept for the other platforms.

Destiny 2 is always online, so no. Even discounting the rest of the reality of Switch development.

Someone better tell the DQX devs.

EDarkness

Thinking about this a bit, you should take a look at Battle Chasers. Looks like it's a loot game, turn based RPG. I'll definitely be picking this one up once it's released.

Ventara

Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2 would be amazing indeed. Wish more developers made dungeon crawler loot games for handhelds. It's such a great fit. Closest we got on Vita was this Gameloft Diablo clone (which I guess wasn't bad for what I wanted).

Luckily, there are platform with addictive loot games...

What's your point? We're talking about the Switch here.

Peltz

I feel like Xenoblade 2 may scratch that itch. The original Xenoblade had a ton of cool armor/weapons to find.

Mupod

I'd play a good looking Monster Hunter if it was properly open world and had less arcane systems. The videos I've seen make the games seem very hard to get into.

Properly open world implies that not being open world makes it deficient somehow, but the game's not really like that. We'll see where they go with MH5 though.

MH is hard to get into but it's more about adjusting to the way it plays. There's certainly a lot of arcane bullshit, I main bowguns trust me I know. But if that stuff is frontloaded in Souls (what do these stats do etc) it's kind of on the back end of MH. You can just pick an armor set + weapon you like the look of and roll with it for a while until you're comfortable. And then hundreds of hours later you're still learning new stuff. It's what I like about the series the most.

Destiny 2 is always online, so no. Even discounting the rest of the reality of Switch development.
can't they at least make the campaign available offline?
No. D1's tools were a fucking nightmare iirc even hardware-aside.
Since they had to scrap everything due to D1 being held back by last gen tech, I'm going to guess the answer is no
There's a much better chance of Destiny 2 coming to my iphone than the Switch.
well, fuck.

Truant

Properly open world implies that not being open world makes it deficient somehow, but the game's not really like that. We'll see where they go with MH5 though.

MH is hard to get into but it's more about adjusting to the way it plays. There's certainly a lot of arcane bullshit, I main bowguns trust me I know. But if that stuff is frontloaded in Souls (what do these stats do etc) it's kind of on the back end of MH. You can just pick an armor set + weapon you like the look of and roll with it for a while until you're comfortable. And then hundreds of hours later you're still learning new stuff. It's what I like about the series the most.

Chasing monsters through loading screens isn't something I want to do.

TheExodu5

Banned
Disgaea 5 is what you want. Disgaea is one of the most in depth games with incremental progression elements amped to the max.

Give it a chance. It's really not all that tactics heavy as you can brute force your way through mostly everything.

EDarkness

can't they at least make the campaign available offline?well, fuck.

The reason they gave about always being online is a bunk reason. If they don't want to port the game, that's fine, but saying it's because their game is always online is just a messed up reason when there is an always online game coming out on the system fairly soon. It would have been better if they just would have said they didn't want to do it, because that's probably the real reason.

It's gonna be Monster Hunter. I'll buy a Switch the moment that a MH game is released for it.

Porting an ARPG wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

Cartho

I would probably put hundreds of hours into Diablo 3 on Switch. Just like I've put well over 600 hours into it on PC and PS4.

Thing is, without Seasons it would be a shadow of it's true self and they're always online. I could still see it though - seasons for when you have a net connection and offline for other times. It's doable. Certainly doable from a graphical power standpoint too. Perfect for the console but it's a question of whether there's a desire at Blizzard to get it done.

I'm absolutely in love with the Switch as a concept, but I miss a Diablo style game with loot, character building, addictive combat and some sort of addictive progression system.

The closest thing right now is Binding of Isaac, but it doesn't quite scratch that itch. I think this style of game would be perfect for a hybrid console.

Oh yea, I would love one. Isometric loot based RPG's are my jam.

Something like Divinity OS would also probably work pretty well on it. Might be too CPU intensive, I don't know.

The reason they gave about always being online is a bunk reason. If they don't want to port the game, that's fine, but saying it's because their game is always online is just a messed up reason when there is an always online game coming out on the system fairly soon. It would have been better if they just would have said they didn't want to do it, because that's probably the real reason.

how you figure that?

LordofPwn

I'd love Diablo 3 or for them to make diablo 4 with Switch in mind. Borderlands 2 would also be awesome on the switch. Just started Disgea 5 last night and I hope it keeps me busy for awhile

arimanius

Disgaea 5?

Disgaea 5 ????

As others have said, maybe try Disgaea 5?

Disgaea baby.

Disgaea 5 is what you want. Disgaea is one of the most in depth games with incremental progression elements amped to the max.

Give it a chance. It's really not all that tactics heavy as you can brute force your way through mostly everything.

I've never played a Disgaea game before. Didn't realize it was a loot type of game. I'm going to have to check it out.

Monster Hunter would be/will be awesome on the Switch, but it doesn't fit that same Murder-Loot-Murder-Loot mechanic as well as Torchlight or Diablo does. It is a fun game in it's own right, but it is a lot more tactical than the power-slinging loot-fests that those other games fit perfectly.

Diablo would be good fun to come over for sure. Or a Torchlight 2 port. But something new and unique would be even better.

mas8705

We hunters are patiently waiting for Capcom to unleash it at this point: Whether if we get it in the form of a MHXX Switch version or MH5 for Switch.

The question is: When are we going to see it? There's a chance that we might see something MH related at E3 (besides Stories), but then it seems more likely that if there was something to be said, it won't be until the Tokyo Game Show where the game gets to truly thrive.

I know the moment it happens, it is going to be checkmate for me since I would have no more free time since I'd be hunting during breaks and hunting in HD when I get home from work. ^_^

I'm back into the MH fray with MH3U again. I NEED one on Switch. Hopefully the dream of MH5 built specifically for Switch in glorious HD will soon be a reality!

SRTtoZ

D3 would be great but i'd be more excited for Dark Souls 1/2/3 (any of them). I really need that addictive portable game which Zelda and Mario Kart doesn't fill for me.

w0s

I'd play a good looking Monster Hunter if it was properly open world and had less arcane systems. The videos I've seen make the games seem very hard to get into.
I thought this too but it isn't nearly as daunting as it seems. Online was super easy also to get groups.

Top Bottom