• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

TriAceJP

It's amazing how they can't top a version that was released 13 years ago.

A version I can play on my PC, at that.

Just selling the GCN ISO through Steam and including a link to Dolphin would have been a better experience for everyone involved.

Well, pre-ordering Zesteria was a mistake. Should have just gotten it through GMG and saved $15. It's mindboggling that they couldn't have an Intern run through basic QA on this shit. I am not even talking about the internal 720p resolution crap.

Bamco taught me a lesson, namely don't pre-order their games and get them on the cheap. I liked Zesteria too but heck with this treatment of PC users. Yeah, it's not an expensive port, but somehow freaking Fairy Fencer F came out just fine and that was under $20 on release.

I'm sure they had someone do QA, just like they had someone (lots of people, most likely!) do QA on Arkham Knight for PC or AC:Unity for all platforms. And then the QA reported the problems, the programmers said "we need X time/resources to fix it," and the suits said "LOL FUCK THAT JUST PUSH IT OUT THE DOOR THEY'LL BUY IT ANYWAY."

Honestly, the fact that a lot of people probably got this game via pre-ordering Zestiria- meaning Bamco had essentially already gotten a lot, possibly the majority, of the money they were going to get out of the port- probably had a lot to do with them rushing it out the door like this.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As a French speaker, uh...

3D7BC219164488A14B09CCECC989ED7302BD6E40

Wow. I have no words. xD Amazing UTF-8 fail right there.

And I don't understand the translation either. "Rang de combat"? "Titre saynètes"???

From context it appears that it should be Battle Difficulty ("Difficulté des combats") and Subtitles ("Sous-titres"), not... whatever this is.

At least some people are making it entertaining (via YianGaruga in the Steam thread)

8YAnLPO.jpg
Hmm so the original refers to "Skit titles". I guess a skit is indeed a "saynète" but I don't know what it refers to in the game. Kind of confusing...

Persona7

Banned
The problem with the gamecube version is that you are missing all the extra content.

damn...this sucks though. guess I will stick with the PS3 version.

My condolences to whoever preordered Zestiria for this.

Bamco just has no idea what they're doing with this series anymore.

What the fuck is that DRM? I mean seriously. What the fuck! A bad port is one thing but that's something they purposefully added that makes it objectively worse.

Why?? Are they pissed that people modded Zestiria or something? Argh.

I also just ran the game, and it's single threaded, which is expected, but it pegs one of your cpu cores at 100% usage. Sigh... probably a naive spin loop waiting for their target frame rate. What a waste of CPU cycles.

tuxfool

Banned
Hmm so the original refers to "Skit titles". I guess a skit is indeed a "saynète" but I don't know what it refers to in the game. Kind of confusing...

Never played a Tales game? They are literally skits, small interludes where the characters talk about something random.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Never played a Tales game? They are literally skits, small interludes where the characters talk about something random.
I played some of the old ones on the PS1 way back then and hated them. xD What would be the "titles" then? Subtitles? If so, why not say that, lol.

Tizoc

My condolences to whoever preorder ed Zestiria for this.

Banco just has no idea what they're doing with this series anymore.
Da fuck?
This is the most illogical post ive seen all day
Ur saying people spent $50 to get a copy of symphonia? A copy they got FOR FREE
A copy of a game that was offered with a good port of a game that can run at 60 fps?

Vamphuntr

What the fuck is that DRM? I mean seriously. What the fuck! A bad port is one thing but that's something they purposefully added that makes it objectively worse.

I also just ran the game, and it's single threaded, which is expected, but it pegs one of your cpu cores at 100% usage. Sigh... probably a naive spin loop waiting for their target frame rate. What a waste of CPU cycles.

Namco probably had no direct say in the DRM thing. The developer for this port is probably a very small group of people that had no idea what they were doing. They probably got asked to add a DRM solution and found the cheapest one they could.

This look like a malware site from 2001 or something

It's just sad because it tarnished Namco's previous effort with Zestiria. If this port gets mentioned on big site it will probably be pulled out.

Tizoc

Ahaha, the Japanese publisher Steam revolution everyone has been giving accolades
This is only one poor port smarty pants
Evidently you are unaware of at least 2 good ports that released before it
Inswear threads like this bring out all the silly children @.@

I played some of the old ones on the PS1 way back then and hated them. xD What would be the "titles" then? Subtitles? If so, why not say that, lol.

When there is a skit available a button prompt appears on the screen. The option controls whether or not the title of the skit is included beside the prompt.

Da fuck?
A copy of a game that was offered with a good port of a game that can run at 60 fps?

There are people in the topic that said they did just that, man.

Ayy lmao

I'm laughing at the absurdity of these mistakes but I feel legitimately sorry for anyone who spent money. I suggest you get refunds ASAP if possible

GametimeUK

Just WOW, i cant believe what a read here.

"6. Broken text in French. Wasn't made for France"

Holy shitballs that made me laugh. That guy is obviously an experienced troll. I love it.

As for the port, I don't really care for this game personally, but I want every game and its audience to get treated with respect. It's rather sad these business practices are in use today. Ultimately we decide if we accept such low standards and pull the trigger and don't refund it, but surely we should rather settle for no port at all instead of an extremely lousy one. You shouldn't feel privileged or obliged to get it because it is the only way (Emulators aside) to play it on PC.

Da fuck?
hmm I'm pretty sure this is the most illogical post of today

I personally didn't pre-ordered Zestiria for Symphonia alone, it's just a nice bonus. Zestiria was a good port, and a good game on top of that. It's cheaper than the PS4 version as well. I regret nothing.

FLD

Damn, I was planning on giving the game another shot with this port but looks like I'll pass. Hopefully this is some kind of mistake and they'll be able to fix this mess, or at least patch it up a bit. Have they commented on it yet?

FyreWulff

What is it with every developers inability to base ports off the GameCube version?

I mean, at this point we'd almost have to hope for the Wii U to get Symphonia, and then they'd probably port the PS2 version to that too, just to spite people.

Yawnier

Banned

And I don't understand the translation either. "Rang de combat"? "Titre saynètes"???

From context it appears that it should be Battle Difficulty ("Difficulté des combats") and Subtitles ("Sous-titres"), not... whatever this is.

Lol wow. I wonder if who ever did that translation used Google Translate.

In all seriousness, when using english to french (and vice versa) translations in google translate you sometimes get weird and uncommon words that don't belong, or the words are in the wrong order.

kewlmyc

Maybe. The PC version of Zestiria originally included the JP opening (vocal version) in its files for some odd reason. Considering that every other non JP copy of the game had a vocal-less version of the opening for legal reasons, Namco made sure to get rid of the file quickly. However, many people, myself included, just modded the JP opening back in. So yeah, they might be extra cautious about PC ports from now on.

Thank god Steam has refunds now.

Most people here got this game as a pre-order initiative for a game that came out 4 months ago. Pretty sure refunds won't do much.

Nairume

Banned
It's been a decade since I last played ToS and I could be misremembering things, but is the port also a little more zoomed in than it used to be? At the least, I definitely don't remember the world map giving you so little visibility around you.

It's not really a fair comparison though. As you say it's a port of a game from the PS2/GC era, and I'd imagine games or their engines won't have even been programmed with ports in mind back then.

Not to mention, the said issues are due to the PS2 port being shit. Not because of the PS3 version being shit.

Either they'd have ported the Gamecube version and we'd have missed some content, or they ported the PS2 version and you get worse graphics and frame rate. Regardless people would have been unhappy someway, so they were between a bit of a rock and hard place in that respect.

Hence I say it's just lazy really. They could have put more effort into it. Redone the 2d assets (they look like shit even on PS3 at 720p), ported the gamecube edition and programmed the new content in etc. But they didn't because they didn't want to put that much effort into it.

They could've done something very similar to what Capcom did with the Wii version of Resident Evil 4 by using the GameCube version of the game while including the extra content from the PS2 version. That would've been the definitive version of the game right there.

Xenus

They could've done something very similar to what Capcom did with the Wii version of Resident Evil 4 by using the GameCube version of the game while including the content from the PS2 version. That would've been the definitive version of the game right there.

Yeah but that would have required even more work and signs point to not much work being done on this port.

'

Apparently saynète is the right word.

Rang au combat should have been "niveau de difficulté".

What I don't get is "paramètre volume". If it's just the volume, why a green button with A in it?

Nanashrew

Banned
They could've done what Capcom did with the Wii version of Resident Evil 4 by using the GameCube version of the game while including the content from the PS2 version. That would've been the definitive version of the game right there.

That definitely would have been the best. I just wonder what they were thinking because there is a lot of wiggle room to iron out all the issues and even achieve 60fps on the PS3. It's not like the game is incredibly demanding for a PS3 either.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Wow, glad I stuck with my PS3 version. I didn't see this one coming after the excellent job I heard they did on Zestiria.

Nice little surprise for those who pre-ordered Zestiria. Thanks for your money, now here's the extra we promised. Never said it'd be any good! Enjoy!

Kasumin

I'm all for pointing out the series' issues in a lot of Tales threads, but geez. I don't even know what to say about this.

This sucks for the people who preordered and were looking forward to a decent port of ToS.

I strongly dislike Zestiria, but the PC port seemed to be pretty good. For them to go from that to whatever this crap is is just mind-boggling. Though I agree with other people in the thread who are speculating that Bamco didn't see the need to invest in this port because it was mostly offered to get people to preorder Zestiria.

Tales fans deserve better than this.

shiyrley

Banned
This game is literally worse than just emulating the GC version in every single aspect. (yes you can run the game with proper widescreen on Dolphin)

wow. They HAD to be trying to make the worst port possible.

Top Bottom