• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children [OT] Where FTP means 'For The People'

I agree (obviously), but review sites really didn't like it which disappointed me (obviously) and makes it harder to have the confidence to make something as extreme/different again.

The core ideas are a combination of elements from my childhood, growing up in the 70s in England. The cold war was raging, the tv was full of spy thrillers and more abstract shows like The Avengers and The Prisoner (there is a no. 6 sticker available in the game as a homage). Thunderbirds of course. However, a few years back I took an interest in Czech animation and puppetry after seeing an exhibition here in Kyoto which showed their almost real-life sized puppets with deformed/exaggerated features etc and all hand-carved of course. The characters looked so interesting/creepy and intriguing, and seeing as we were working with an eastern european/cold war/iron curtain theme, it seemed a perfect opportunity to try using that style in a game.

I sent our principal artists to the Czech republic to study for a week and after that the course was set!

As for the marxism, that came from the word "share" which was a keyword for all ps4 developers starting new projects back before the ps4 came out. So I took that a step further to "communal".. and wondered what it would be like to play a game about altruism/sharing to others.

Fantastic! I appreciate the response!
I'm very much looking forward to the next Q-Games project, but I hope the team continues to support TTC for a good while to come. This is a very special game.

bitbydeath

Any thought being put into providing a roadmap for some of the major updates being planned?

Could be a good way to advertise it a bit more and give those already playing something to look out for.

HiVision

Any thought being put into providing a roadmap for some of the major updates being planned?

Could be a good way to advertise it a bit more and give those already playing something to look out for.

We can only play by ear, month to month based on the income generated by the game unfortunately. So if we created a big road map (obviously we have one full of ideas and features internally) it would become a promise that might not be fullfillable.

That said, we are trying to do an update with new features and content at least once a month!

We have a pretty big fun new feature for long-term players that we are working on but there isn't a date set yet for when that rolls out, hopefully soon though. It's a feature that hasn't even been hinted at so it should be exciting for everyone.

So I get 300 stamps for a restoration with a 10k toil input and 1250 for a 400k effort, that doesn't seem right. That last town must have been running for ages, had almost 3 complete stars and stumbled upon it recently and expected to cash out big time but.. :p

andylsun

So I get 300 stamps for a restoration with a 10k toil input and 1250 for a 400k effort, that doesn't seem right. That last town must have been running for ages, had almost 3 complete stars and stumbled upon it recently and expected to cash out big time but.. :p

What rank/position were you with 400k toil?

bitbydeath

Must have been second or third, there is always that (japanese :p) guy or girl. They don't mess around!

I managed to get first once... and only once. Towns are much busier than they used to be, most are completed in 3 days lately. After I join them anyway, no idea how long before then but I typically only join either deserted or new towns.

Drencrom

We can only play by ear, month to month based on the income generated by the game unfortunately. So if we created a big road map (obviously we have one full of ideas and features internally) it would become a promise that might not be fullfillable.

That said, we are trying to do an update with new features and content at least once a month!

We have a pretty big fun new feature for long-term players that we are working on but there isn't a date set yet for when that rolls out, hopefully soon though. It's a feature that hasn't even been hinted at so it should be exciting for everyone.

Okay that's nice to hear, I'm personally waiting for a major update until jumping back in.

HiVision

http://www.jp.playstation.com/op/thetomorrowchildren/playersinfo/2017/01/update020.html

Patch notes are up for this week's update - we reduced the prices across the board in the blackmarket, and sped up the other tools too.

We also opened up that final inventory slot to everyone who has bourgoisie (residentzy) papers as a free bonus and added a "relocator" tool which allows you to move buildings around freely without having to destroy/rebuild. Great for OCD players who want to layout their town properly!

Uh oh, someone pressed the f2p button. ;)
Always managed to keep my coupons around 10k after filling up my inventory, now it's going down fast (already at 6k) after the comrade tools nerf. Especially the jetpacks are worthless now.

HiVision

Uh oh, someone pressed the f2p button. ;)
Always managed to keep my coupons around 10k after filling up my inventory, now it's going down fast (already at 6k) after the comrade tools nerf. Especially the jetpacks are worthless now.

Actually we lowered the costs of all the black market items considerably to match this change in durability so it isn't an "f2p" grab as such and you should be able to use the freeman dollars you pick up from the ground to top up. The changes have been made to increase the core cycle of the game and have people utilizing the various ways to get more coupons (stats and perks). It is actually working quite well and we are seeing much more activity in the game but we are still monitoring it so expect some tweaks.

melkier33

Started to play again for the past few days after a long break. Forgot how hard it is to just stop playing sometimes. Glad to see a decent amount of be islands since I last played. I like the events (sadly missed the first 2) but have no idea where I stand point wise in the events, would be nice if we could get another information board we can craft for event info/standings. Can't find the relocation tool that was added and I checked a bunch of the shops. Do the perks for mining extra resources get nerfed a bit? Seems like I have been creating less resources then before, but that's fine it was getting kinda god like when I was playing before.

Also just going to throw this out there, a design and island contest would be something I would like to see in the future.

HiVision

The Tomorrow Children just had a pretty massive update, dive in and try out all the new stuff!

Especially the administrator tower!

bitbydeath

Not liking this new update, monsters galore and they are much harder than usual, i had two bankrotz wonder through destroying all but one tree, then about 5 spiders came in and insta-destroyed everything they touched, apartment buildings gone in seconds, no option to repair they just collapse straight away, turned if off as another bankrotz started wondering through the ruins of my town.

Not liking this new update, monsters galore and they are much harder than usual, i had two bankrotz wonder through destroying all but one tree, then about 5 spiders came in and insta-destroyed everything they touched, apartment buildings gone in seconds, no option to repair they just collapse straight away, turned if off as another bankrotz started wondering through the ruins of my town.

You can now pay to kill them!

HiVision

There is much more rhythm and tempo now - sure you sometimes get marauding izverg but if you destroy them you will get quite long periods of "down time", whereas before they were just constantly coming. This makes a huge different to the cycle of the game and I'm loving it personally. Before, people would just leave the izverg to maraud but now it is worth taking them out if you can.

The green bankrotz (giants) are 50% of the health they were before so a /lot/ easier to take down.

The walls are cheaper and much much stronger than before and will block most spider attacks, place them carefully and they are very effective! Buildings don't get destroyed with one attack and are generally fairly strong and take 3-4 attacks from a spider or a bondi bombing run.

Aerial attacks can be summoned later to take out a bankrotz in one hit, and this only uses party privilege points.

It sounds like you joined your town when it was in a high cycle... but with a little work you can push it back to a quiet cycle.

Also, if there are few players in a stage the cycle is softened considerably compared to before. This is on top of the previous softening system.

bitbydeath

Playing a bit more over the weekend wasn't as bad, did have a lot more people in the same town though to help out, would be nice if the amount of monsters were adjusted based on amount of people in a town at any one time.

HiVision

Playing a bit more over the weekend wasn't as bad, did have a lot more people in the same town though to help out, would be nice if the amount of monsters were adjusted based on amount of people in a town at any one time.

It is - actually that was a major change we did in this later update. We already had one system but we added another one to increase the time (considerably) between waves of izverg based on how few players are in town. There will still be times of chaos but I was playing last night with just 2-3 in a town and it was quite pleasant :)

Did the community reach any of the goals?
Also you get those points by beating Izvergs right?
Btw, do you plan to release a PS4 PRO patch with HDR, better resolution,more effects etc? Your game already uses great tech on PS4 and there is no doubt you could do even more on PS4 PRO.

Darknight

Hoping there is another sale on the founder's pack.

I wanted to buy this day1 but did not like the fact your friends disappeared when playing. Its better when you can interact will your group.

HiVision

Hoping there is another sale on the founder's pack.

I wanted to buy this day1 but did not like the fact your friends disappeared when playing. Its better when you can interact will your group.

Well it's free to play now and you can buy the licenses separately within the game.

Your friends are a lot more visible than other comrades now, but they will still flit in and out as that's part of the design of the game. It's designed to give people who don't normally play multiplayer games a feeling of solitude and to remove the pressure of a typical multiplayer game. It seems to have worked as a lot of people comment on this as the reason why they can play comfortably online in TTC.

If you and your friends use the permanent gestures (such as "point"), jetpacks and hovercars you can be always visible to each-other.

Yeah, it was definitely the right call.
Boostmode seems to have removed the tearing, good stuff.
I just wish you did something about the island rotation, so many awesome (new) islands that just never seem to appear. :(

HiVision

Yeah, it was definitely the right call.
Boostmode seems to have removed the tearing, good stuff.
I just wish you did something about the island rotation, so many awesome (new) islands that just never seem to appear. :(

We rotate their appearance rates every few weeks. Some are even removed from the rotation and brought back in at a later date. (there are a *lot* of different islands now and more coming)

First time playing in a while and I LOVE a lot of new changes/additions. It's awesome how this game continues to improve!
Food also shows up a lot faster on trees, so that's outstanding (however my wife was playing and commented that there should be a basket you can buy to collect apples :p). We noticed that people just don't appear to enjoy picking up apples for whatever reason, so maybe a way to collect them in bulk might encourage that? The Administration Tower (I think that's what it's called) is great! There are some very helpful options in there.

A few things:
-still drives me nuts when you are working on repairing a building & it collapses, thus wasting resources. I feel like if you are chipping away at repairs it should pause the collapse, as there isn't much more defeating in this game than getting to 90% on one of the more complex repairs only for it to crumble out from under you. Screw up the pattern/button prompts? Sure, I get that.
-the mosquito assholes showing up and kicking you out of a workbench puzzle. Arghhhhhh!

Other than that, the last couple towns I've been in since Thursday have been awesome; great teamwork, no trolls... this game really shines when everyone is playing it seriously.

HiVision

First time playing in a while and I LOVE a lot of new changes/additions. It's awesome how this game continues to improve!
Food also shows up a lot faster on trees, so that's outstanding (however my wife was playing and commented that there should be a basket you can buy to collect apples :p). We noticed that people just don't appear to enjoy picking up apples for whatever reason, so maybe a way to collect them in bulk might encourage that? The Administration Tower (I think that's what it's called) is great! There are some very helpful options in there.

A few things:
-still drives me nuts when you are working on repairing a building & it collapses, thus wasting resources. I feel like if you are chipping away at repairs it should pause the collapse, as there isn't much more defeating in this game than getting to 90% on one of the more complex repairs only for it to crumble out from under you. Screw up the pattern/button prompts? Sure, I get that.
-the mosquito assholes showing up and kicking you out of a workbench puzzle. Arghhhhhh!

Other than that, the last couple towns I've been in since Thursday have been awesome; great teamwork, no trolls... this game really shines when everyone is playing it seriously.

Thanks yes, we've added a ton of new stuff and I feel it's almost a "version 2" now. As for the mosquitoes you can now find a brooch that makes you harder for the mosquitoes to see :)

HiVision

We just updated with new islands and the abillity to expand a town beyond 500 people to allow people to create a harder challenge for themselves (you can expand the goal to 1000).

PowderedToast

what a game, can honestly say I've never played anything like it. downloaded it last week not expecting much (wasn't aware it was q-games) and was immediately impressed. after those opening credits i knew this thing wasn't playing around.

In isolation you can see the influences, or familiar design, but the actual experience of playing feels wholly unique. its priorities are really all over the place, in a good way. it gives importance to things that games usually don't.

A couple of things i wish you could do.

- tile the floor of the towns. would personalise them more, make them feel more cohesive and closer to a genuine simulation. though i understand the reason for the aesthetic choice and still think it's relatively effective

- be able to see the inside of your home, personalise it, and in terms of design benefits, perhaps sleep there for bonuses (but this probably wouldn't work due to the online nature tbh)

It seems to have found a niche which is good, i hope the community stays strong because I'd be heartbroken if this thing went offline anytime soon

don't sleep on the score either. it's on spotify and is seriously good.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Due to the recent news about devs not posting on GAF, I just want to say thanks HiVision for all you do here.

HiVision

Due to the recent news about devs not posting on GAF, I just want to say thanks HiVision for all you do here.

I love talking with the community (well when they aren't shouting at me because of a bug haha)

Powdered Toast -> thanks for trying it out, better late than never!
You can obtain "void stickers" using party stamps (earned for clearing towns), and label the ground of the town that way... not exactly tiling but it can be fun.
You can also use void powers of course to simply create terrain in town, just try not to block up the buildings with it or your fellow comrades will get cross!
I'd like to expand the role of the residences too but for the time being we have focussed on more communal things.

anyone still playing this. I think about TTC sometimes and I'm wondering what has changed to the games since 3 months ago when I last played.

HiVision

We just couldn't reach enough players to try the game, even for free, so The Tomorrow Children servers will be shut down in November.

Thanks everyone for trying it out! There are still three months left so if you haven't tried it or only tried it during the beta or the early days of the launch, then dive in and enjoy the twilight of the Void.

somme

We just couldn't reach enough players to try the game, even for free, so The Tomorrow Children servers will be shut down in November.

Thanks everyone for trying it out! There are still three months left so if you haven't tried it or only tried it during the beta or the early days of the launch, then dive in and enjoy the twilight of the Void.

Noooo! It's a great title. Love coming back to it every so often. Such a shame. :(

andylsun

That's a real shame that it didn't work out in the long term. Loved my time with the game and it was a pretty unique experience.

It's a shame the game will be lost once the servers go away.

I've been trying to create a 3d printed model of the player character but haven't managed to do it yet. Using photogrammetry on videos I've recorded of gameplay to isolate the player and it doesn't work well. Will keep trying!

taoofjord

I'm so sorry to hear this! I love what you all did with the game. Best of luck with the next project and thanks for everything.

I'm fighting a losing battle in the other thread about this going down, sadly.
So many people made up their minds without even trying- and the bad egg f2p games that have poisoned the well & created an ugly stigma regarding the business model certainly helped contribute to the doom of TTC, IMO.

The 'what do you do?!!/I need constant direction' hand-holding culture of current game development also seems to be playing a part. It was clear since Day 1 that this game was always going to be abstract, but man... it's sad to see the amount of people seemingly afraid to explore a game and figure things out on their own.

Thanks for everything, Dylan. This is a game I'll hold dear and will fondly look back on when I reminisce about this gen. I look forward to Q Games' next project, whatever it may be. 🍺

Now- three months to 100% the game. So close. Only two trophies left!

solaaire

Neo Member
This is the only game that ever compelled me to use Remote Play on the Vita! I always found logging on and making some small contributions to a fleeting commune before I fell asleep to be strangely satisfying.

There are a ton of neat concepts tucked away in this title that I hope to see others take inspiration from. I wonder what the next town will look like when we're done restoring this one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Real shame. I enjoy it and the atmosphere and tech is great.

But I do share some people's concerns that they did not understand what to do initially and simply did not see the point in the grand scheme. There just wasn't enough "quick reward" to keep people engaged to the point where they got it and became immersed.

And I have to say the beta/prepay/open rollout was odd to me. There was more buzz around the beta than when the game finally opened up.

bitbydeath

F2P must be really hard to make money from, I guess it requires a certain kind of audience, I tried spending occasionally to support the game but otherwise didn't really see much driving me towards it as I enjoyed doing the manual labour.

Roll on Pixel Junk Monsters Two

Sigaze

Banned
This is really sad news. This game meant alot to me as I played it for a good few weeks back in October last year while searching for my very first real world job. The game taught me alot about how life works.

In most others games that I've binged throughout the years I've been the badass hero that everyone looks up to and no one could beat. But in The Tomorrow Children I was a single person in a world of many others. My contributions to this world felt small, but together with everyone else we achieved so much: either restoring towns, killing monsters or keeping those little dolls safe.

When I finally got a job in November, I realised that The Tomorrow Children had set me in the right mindset for working. For such a large company, my daily contributions were small, but as the game taught me: they mattered. And as a result I felt like I mattered.

I can't thank the devs enough for making a game that has had so much of an impact on my life.

hamsjams

There is no other game that delivers this specific brand of relaxation, comradery, creativity, challenge, and satisfaction. I will never forget how many times it lifted me out of an ugly mood. There has never been and probably never will be a resource collecting game that grabs my attention and admiration like this one. It's the reason I signed up to this forum in the first place. Whenever I see this place beg for more unique experiences I will forever shout from the rooftops that this was a weird, beautiful, clever, and truly unique product that was ignored, rejected, and misunderstood (sometimes intentionally) by press and players alike.

Like others in this thread this game entered my life at a hard time, helped me, and affected me. Thank you so much to the developers. You deserved better and I hope you receive better in the future. Thanks so much.

Top Bottom