• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trademark for The Last Guardian has been abandoned (e.g. dead)

Doesn't mean anything (not that I care anyway), but these threads are probably the most fun you can get on neogaf. Every year the same thing, everyone refusing to believe this game won't happen and waiting for E3 (and then TGS) just to be let down. Man, it's fun.

Anyway, this shit was barely a game and we know next to nothing about it, who cares what happens to it. The saddest part is that Team Ico hasn't put anything out, not that TLG is dead.

Loakum

Banned
We'll be in a nursing home waiting for our apple sauce, still wondering when will The Last Guardian be released.

L Thammy

Kev's posts is so much sexier in French.

I kind of have to wonder what goes through a person's head when they try to claim that this isn't dead. A healthy studio could release multiple games in the time between the the start of development and now. Even the game is still under development, how horrible are the issues they've run into that they have so little to show by now?

autoduelist

E3 will be glorious, one way or the other.

(I don't think it's dead, but only because Sony has had no issue canning other well known projects publicly but insists this is still in production)

Bold One

You're right that people make jokes about it now, but in order to make a convincing argument you have to more explicitly connect the nature of those jokes to negative buying intent. Are the people making jokes the same people who want the game? If they are, does the fact that they make jokes imply they no longer want the game?

"Negativity" is a broad concept and I don't think the kind of negativity you're citing is necessarily the type to change branding over.

As for Versus distancing itself from FFXIII, I think that's a reasonable observation, but not an analogous situation. FFXIII has an established (negative) reputation that was worth distancing. It also cost them very little to ditch "Versus XIII" which means nothing, and replace it with XV, which means "This is a real, main-line FF game so get ready." Most importantly, it's still called Final Fantasy.

TLG's reputation, on the other hand, is mostly positive expectations due to the studio's past work, which you might adjust in consideration of its development hell, but again, only knowledgeable consumers know the game's development history and a name change won't affect their perceptions.

Firstly, Team Ico's games have never set the charts on fire, so its not about sales its about mindshare and reputation. This game has been in development hell for a a very long time and no matter how hard you spin it.

The negative connotations no matter how niche, is good enough reason for a re-brand. no game that has been this long in 'development hell' turns out well

sublimit

Banned
It would only make sense to rename it since if it still lives it will probably be a much different game than what we've seen and knew about it ages ago.

Begaria

Maybe we'll see this awesome trailer at E3 of the game and at the end "The Last Guardian" shows as the title, but then someone will talk about how the game was in development for fifteen years, and the title will blow up and be renamed Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

It would only make sense to rename it since if it still lives it will probably be a much different game than what we've seen and knew about it ages ago.

pQYQH10.jpg

MaDKaT

Until Sony says so, Ill believe some part of the project is still alive. Honestly it isnt so much about the Last Guardian for me as I just want to see more from the team. ICO and SotC were both amazing games and whether it is The Last Guardian or some other game, that is really what I want to see.

KoopaTheCasual

Kev's posts is so much sexier in French.

I kind of have to wonder what goes through a person's head when they try to claim that this isn't dead. A healthy studio could release multiple games in the time between the the start of development and now. Even the game is still under development, how horrible are the issues they've run into that they have so little to show by now?
Well for one, it's been repeated ad nauseam, but Team ICO is not a studio. People really need to understand this concept. It was a handful of people in Sony Studio Japan who liked working together. They haven't "put anything out" because they've been releasing Studio Japan games like Pupeteer, Gravity Rush, Freedom Wars, Tokyo Jungle, Rain, Knack, etc.

Last Guardian always struck me as a "pet/passion project" that members did on the side. Whether it's finally dead or still alive (since this same expiration happened 3 years ago) is not something I care about. I just wish people understood that Team ICO is in no stretch of the imagination, a studio.

autoduelist

I can't wrap my head around why people are so rabid over this game that received a single trailer in its entire rumored existence.

That's pretty much how hype works. People get rabid over things they haven't experienced yet, be it a summer blockbuster coming out next year or a game coming out in two.

In this case, the game has solid roots in beloved games -- Team Ico. If this was a rumored Mario game, or a rumored Platinum game, people would get hyped too, regardless of delays.

Top Bottom