• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trademark for The Last Guardian has been abandoned (e.g. dead)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm so glad I wasn't ever looking forward to this. I feel bad for everyone who has. The handling of this whole thing by Sony and Ueda really sucks.

RIP my dream :'(

TheLastGuardian.gif

Fuchsdh

At this point what I really want from this game is a post-mortem with all the details. Must be an amazing read.

Yep. Sure Duke Nukem Forever might have been a disappointment, but the making of articles we got along the way were fascinating. A game essentially brought down by a case of "it's not perfect yet!" Bioshock Infinite almost went the same way—I wonder if a similar issue was the root problem here too.

Muzy72

Banned
IMO their contract with Ueda requires them to turn the IP over to him if they terminate the game. So they will just pretend it is in development forever so they can keep the IP.

The game's dead. Sorry, I am tired of joking about this. I have many inside sources.
Well fuck.

Thanks for killing my dreams. :(

I still believe

SkylineRKR

Let it die.

This game likely won't meet you guys standards, given its development hell. Everyone wanted DNF, they got DNF and next they wished they didn't.

If its confirmed dead the fans can at least stop waiting for news on it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
IMO their contract with Ueda requires them to turn the IP over to him if they terminate the game. So they will just pretend it is in development forever so they can keep the IP.

The game's dead. Sorry, I am tired of joking about this. I have many inside sources.

CUKp8rZ78B2c.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
As I recall, the trademark has lapsed before - until presumably somebody in the legal department sent in a check to renew it. But if they don't bother renewing it this time, the game goes from unofficially dead to really most sincerely dead.
It's never been renewed, Sony simply filed a new application once the previous had been abandoned, nor did they petition to have the abandoned application revived. But yeah, if we don't see a new application shortly, then we can safely assume that the game is either cancelled or getting renamed (though that's unlikely).

Dabanton

I smell a severely cut down game being released for this.

Sony should have just killed it, but they've got to release something. Or they'll be laughing stocks.

NotLiquid

Just kill it already. It's never going to live up to the expectations regardless and plenty of games have come out that filled the void Team Ico left.

jamsy

I still am not buying this. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for them to refute the cancellation rumors if it was indeed cancelled. Why the fuck would they want the IP if they're not going to make anything out of it?

The Penultimate Guardian incoming!

Honestly, I love Ico and SotC so much, but at this point I'm beyond caring about TLG any more. It's been, what, six years of disappointment so far? Just formally cancel it and let the poor development team move on to something new.

Acosta

That makes no sense Y2Kev, why would they keep an IP that has no value whatsoever, and then keep lying and disappointing fans to keep that privilege.

I know you have many sources, and jokes aside, you have been probably right all along about this. But I fail to see the logic.

Top Bottom