• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The trademark for The Last Guardian has been abandoned (e.g. dead)

IMO their contract with Ueda requires them to turn the IP over to him if they terminate the game. So they will just pretend it is in development forever so they can keep the IP.

The game's dead. Sorry, I am tired of joking about this. I have many inside sources.

Is this forreal? Is the dream really dead?

Why don't Sony just come out and admit this is dead? Why keep up the charade?

I'm sure there's some internal struggle going on. Imagine the amount of money that's been burnt on this project, there's bound to be a fall guy. Nobody wants to admit it should be canned and that Sony needs to come clean with the fans.

MattyG

Banned
The boy is now old enough to be his own caretaker, hence no need for a legal guardian.
It's the end of Sony's E3 2015 press conference. The lights dim and a spotlight appears. Shu Yoshida walks an stage

"Before we go, I have one more thing to show you. In February, some of you may have noticed that we allowed a certain trademark to expire. Well, I think you'll understand why after this trailer."

Spotlight shuts off... and the original Last Guardian trailer fades in on the big screens.

No new footage is shown, no date announced. A new logo and name fades in at the end of the trailer: "The Legal Guardian".

This is the only reasonable explanation.

It's just the trademark, which means nothing.

Trademarks have to be used in order to maintain them, and right now unless they have a product they are going to show or release soon, then having the trademark gets difficult to maintain.

Anything could be happening. It could be dead, it could be renamed, it could be set not to be released for another year or two, there could be a conflict with other products or trademarks currently out they want to avoid, etc, etc.

The Penultimate Guardian incoming!

Honestly, I love Ico and SotC so much, but at this point I'm beyond caring about TLG any more. It's been, what, six years of disappointment so far? Just formally cancel it and let the poor development team move on to something new.

What do you think they've been doing? They've released a couple games since this was announced. Team ICO isn't an actual studio, it's just what a group in Japan Studio labels themselves for specific projects.

SkylineRKR

The Penultimate Guardian incoming!

Honestly, I love Ico and SotC so much, but at this point I'm beyond caring about TLG any more. It's been, what, six years of disappointment so far? Just formally cancel it and let the poor development team move on to something new.

From what I remember, we weren't even meant to see the trailer. But it leaked and Sony used it for filler at E3 (along with the wretched FFXIV 1.0 that would never come out as well). This was E3 2009 I think. Thats basically everything we've seen of it.

Neiteio

I can't even feel torn up about this because the game never looked fun in the first place.

I'm nearly positive they came up with everything but a solid gameplay concept, and then ran into a wall when they're like, "Uhh, we need to make a fucking game."

That being said, I'll admit to having rewatched the reveal trailer like 1,000 times.

nib95

Banned
The dream is dead. Except that Sony stated it's still in development multiple times. Presumably it has a new name? Maybe even a new focus?

Fisty

Guardians of the Galaxy

Halo Guardians

Destiny 2: Guardians of the Space Orb

Probably 10 more Guardians games this year

--------

It needs a rebrand. Trico seems like the one to go with

Cramoss

uZfLjni.gif

A small part of me still believes.... :(

Bricky

So it will release alongside half life 3. Never.

We've at least had teeny tiny bits of info/leaks over the years proving Half Life 3 is probably still a thing, The Last Guardian was one trailer and a whole lot of empty promises.

I personally don't think a trademark abandonment alone confirms The Last Guardian is dead though, not anymore than it already was anyway.

L Thammy

I smell a severely cut down game being released for this.

Sony should have just killed it, but they've got to release something. Or they'll be laughing stocks.

Or they could just talk about all the games that actually have people working on them and are actually coming out, letting their current actions get the attention. Most people will forget about The Last Guardian eventually. Hell, most probably already have.

DieH@rd

Banned
Here we go again.

I expect that someone will reach Yosp in the next 24hr and he will post that game project is still alive.

Lunar15

They'll show a new trailer at E3, but the logo will explode and it will be revealed that it's now Final Fantasy XVI

SkylineRKR

I can't even feel torn up about this because the game never looked fun in the first place.

I'm nearly positive they came up with everything but a solid gameplay concept, and then ran into a wall when they're like, "Uhh, we need to make a fucking game."

That being said, I'll admit to having rewatched the reveal trailer like 1,000 times.

I've always thought this as well.

The game didn't look like fun to me. Having to feed and direct an uncontrollable Guardian AI never sounded that appealing to me. Ueda also wanted to give him his own will, so he wouldn't always listen as well... I dunno if this would translate to good gameplay. SotC at least had epic boss fights, ICO was just a very good puzzle platform game where you had to take a helpless girl with you. In Guardian, it looked like the lead wasn't capable of doing things and all the action had to come from the stubborn AI helper.

I think this is where the team also struggled with. A project isn't being overhauled or outright frozen for the sake of it. There are probably legit reasons.

I still don't think the game will ever be truly dead. It's been shelved for a while now, and maybe someday they'll return to it. There's nothing that precludes them from resurrecting it FF Versus XIII style under a new name.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Y2Kev is a false prophet!

Maybe I'm just plugging my ears and saying lalala at this point. The corpse will have to be strewn in front of me.

Tagyhag

I'm curious, if the game doesn't get released for the PS4. Will there actually be people expecting it to the to its successor?

Top Bottom