• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking hell, he just said Trump would be better for UK than Obama

I know that Trump has applauded the UK for courageously breaking free from the shackles they chose to wear and could take off at any time, but isn't Trump's position that he's the best negotiator in the world and that he'll use every trick in the book to tilt trade deals demonstrably in the US's favor?

How is that better than Obama, who has been actively working with the EU on a trade deal that many of his own constituents are skeptical/fearful of?

Auctopus

Farage shows such a lack of understanding of so many things in that CNN Interview. Stop giving him a platform.

Edit: Trump is better for the UK than Obama?! What the ever living fuck.

Go_Ly_Dow

I genuinely believe that sickening headlines like this is why leave won.

uMOxJnQ.jpg

The moment the Government and British public as a whole stopped seriously challenging the tabloids is the moment we let hate and paranoid fear breed within British culture.

Pandy

Er, it was still an option being discussed on Radio 4 just before the 'Good Read' today (sry, can't remember timestamp but pretty sure it was on this show):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07kdsdl

It was discussed generally as an option. I assumed it was on the table if Hunt runs for premiership with a view to announce official position in October. Whether we can get another referendum that quick is another question.....

Don't have time just now to listen from beginning to end, but from a quick scan they seemed to be talking about informal talks direct with Member States, rather than through the EU mechanisms.

That's fine and all, but no chance that gets to a level which would justify another referendum.

theaface

Mainstream should be calling out Farage as the fucking racist he is every day.

I disagree. They simply need to stop giving him a platform. As I said earlier, we don't give a platform to others who practice hate speech. He should be treated no differently.

Metal B

Fucking hell, he just said Trump would be better for UK than Obama
Goddammit, US! You're Trump is infectious! You really should get treated or it will effecting even more countries.

But seriously, something bad is happening in the world. All those Trump like characters show up in many countries, have all the same message and try to destroy the establish world with stupidity. This is getting very scary ...

Goddammit, US! You're Trump is infectious! You really should get threaded or it will effecting even more countries.

But seriously, something bad is happening in the world. All those Trump like characters show up in many countries, have all the same message and try to destroy the establish world with stupidity. This is getting very scary ...

People like Trump aren't afraid to say what we're all thinking.

* dogwhistle *

How can people be this fucking dense? Where did education fail so badly? I'm in awe.

These people always existed. Social media just gave them a voice to be heard.
We're living in times where people form their political opinion via facebook memes. Idiocracy really has arrived...

Social media was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

Breakage

I genuinely believe that sickening headlines like this is why leave won.

uMOxJnQ.jpg

The moment the Government and British public as a whole stopped seriously challenging the tabloids is the moment we let hate and paranoid fear breed within British culture.

Anyone know if press headlines like these are the norm in any other European country?
This is just blatant targeting.

In fairness, Farage has been doing that since you guys sent him to Brussels. Until this whole thing went down I thought it was a classic bit of British humor to refuse to make Farage an MP every time but to happily elect him to the European Parliament which he doesn't think should exist.

I wasn't really sure whether the joke was on Farage or on Europe. Unfortunately now it turns out the joke was something entirely different.

I was just reading up on the guy (as an outsider to the UK I was never really familiar with him or UK politics in general, this thread introduced me to a lot of surprising unexpected things)... what the hell, this speaks volumes about the image the EU had in the UK. I can't think of anything else than self sabotaging.

nOoblet16

We knew it would come...UK is saying free trade and immigration controls....EU is saying free trade comes with free movement...

and I still say some deal will be done with clever wording and I predict free movement of Labour...and when you read into the nitty gritty it will be people have to have jobs before they can come...

I personally think that is a good start

It's not like you can live in UK longer than 3 months even under the current deal if you don't have a job.
You can't claim shit and will get deported if you don't find work within 3 months...that is fair and applies to all EU countries.

Morat

Banned
I was just reading up on the guy (as an outsider to the UK I was never really familiar with him or UK politics in general, this thread introduced me to a lot of surprising unexpected things)... what the hell, this speaks volumes about the image the EU had in the UK. I can't think of anything else than self sabotaging.

Nigel Farage is the 'acceptable' face of the far right in England. He deals in the lowest forms of nationalism, and constantly skirts outright racism.

Jisgsaw

Farage on CNN. I think the interviewer is ready to punch Farage in the face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOqSW7VAsk

Ok, I'll type while listening.

"No, I wasn't rude to the parliament, they're the ones who were rude to me, Schulz had to restore order twice"
Is this guy for real?

"I asked for all people to be grown up and act accordingly"
Do what I say, not what I do?

"They were rude to me, so I teased (sic) them, surely that won'T affect further negociations"
Yeah, sure.

"What makes Trump succesfull in the US is different than what makes me successfull in the UK"
NO IT ISN'T YOU TWIT, ffs just look at the reasons why people voted for leave.

"Our problem is immigration"
But sure, nothing like Trump

"Trump would be better than Obama for the UK"
Oh for the love of god.

"The UK political parties being in shambles is a great message"
What the fuck am I listening to?

"We took back or laws, our borders, or right to govern ourselves"
Oh god, please make UK take a Norway deal with him in the negotiation team at the end of the day, the irony would be through the roof.

He kinda made sense about the timing for Art.50, though one can argue against it.

"You need us far more than you need you"
Please, someone, take him on on that and let him explain in which way.
London (and with it the UK economy) is destroyed without the financial passport, that's a clear sign the UK is in the weaker position.
And while you'Re at it, also take him on his bullshit "EU is undemocratic" his always spews. Hell, it's an indirect democracy exactly like the UK (albeit without the paramount of democracy that is the royalty). Why hasn't anyone ever corrected him?

Sorry for the rant. There's nothing I hate more than demagogues.

Go_Ly_Dow

Anyone know if press headlines like these are the norm in any other European country?

Also remember that this is just one paper out of many which have similar levels of direct racist targeting towards groups of society.

These papers also absolutely rip in to our opposition party's and never hold the Government to account for our turmoil.

They have far overstayed their welcome and it's about time we get a mass movement started to diminish the influence of these cunts.

The german BILD is infamous for it's headlines and their anti-Greece agenda during the crisis was shameful
bild_griechen.jpg

"Greeks richer than us!
Official: Average assets twice as high as in Germany, but government plans to help with billions again!"

Go_Ly_Dow

I think need to have a weeks break from current affairs. This mess is both bringing me down and making me filled with rage.

Fuck. :(

I thought people taking tabloids seriously was a logical impossibility. Since when did trash journalism bordering on self parody gain nationwide credibility?

oti

Banned
The german BILD is infamous for it's headlines and their anti-Greece agenda during the crisis was shameful
bild_griechen.jpg

"Greeks richer than us!
Official: Average assets twice as high as in Germany, but government plans to help with billions again!"

During that time I walked past news stands and immediately knew what kind of day it would be.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
bild_griechen.jpg

"Greeks richer than us!

They even traveled to greece and gave them some Drachnen and acted like they were the big heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom