• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The unclear future of DJMAX

Kovaelin

Honestly, I'm happy that we got what we got up until now. As much as I like DJ Max, it doesn't get much more niche than this. It's sad, but hardly surprising.

Cerity

Oh man, I played every iteration on the psp and regularly went to play technika at my local arcade before some drunks destroyed the screen :(

I tried the android release, it was a mess of paywalls and a terrible game all around.

Hopefully the game comes back in a solid form in one way or another. Trilogy offline will probably be the only way to get my fix of dj max now :*(

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, this is depressing news.
The worst part about these developments has to be the outright cutting of online services.
Making that much content inaccessible wholesale like that is downright unacceptable.

First CS IIDX.
Now DJMAX.
What's a virtual DJ to do... :(

Dj hero... oh wait :(

cj_iwakura

Still one of my favorite rhythm game serieses ever. :(

252px-PSP-DJMaxPortable-FrontCover.jpg
252px-Dj-max-portable-2.jpg
DJ_Max_Fever_Coverart.png

252px-PSP-DJMaxPortableCE-FrontCover.jpg
252px-DJMax_Portable_Black_Square_cover.jpg
PSP-DJMax-Portable3-Firstprint-Korea.jpg

Farewell, sweet prince.

djmtv1.jpg

cj_iwakura

Damn shame. I quite enjoyed the PSP games. Wasn't interested in the touch based Vita one though.

I haven't played it yet either(just got a Vita and Technika costs $texas now), but I've seen the arcade version and it looks gorgeous. I'm sure it's worth getting, the Pentavision team never failed me.

I look forward to buying the Vita game once it's appropriately priced. Never played a game in the series, would I just be better off with the PSP one?

This series has been downhill since DJMax 3. I don't know what's the problem but I don't really enjoy anything they put out recently at all. Teknica Tune is fun at first then my hand starts being in pain soon afterward.

cj_iwakura

This series has been downhill since DJMax 3. I don't know what's the problem but I don't really enjoy anything they put out recently at all. Teknica Tune is fun at first then my hand starts being in pain soon afterward.

DJ MAX 3 was a let down, but it had some cool ideas, and a few great songs.

Getcha hanz up!

IMO, Portable 2/Fever > Clazziquai > Black Square > Portable 1 > Portable 3

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yup! I own it! I've owned every single DJ MAX LE to date. portable anyway.

That was like '06 or '07, right? It was when I wast fist new here and there were so many glorious puictures in the pickup thread.. and I Just had to settle with my shit american djmaxx umd.

Valkyria

Banned
So sad. DjMax are my most played games on psp, and Technika Tune is awesome. Maybe we are lucky and the old team of Pentavision reunite under a new studio and a new IP.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
And the NA digital version of Portable 3 has the 2.0 patch which the UMD version never got.

If you really want the games digitally, I'd get them now.

I've been interested in picking it up on Vita but it's $45 fucking dollars on PSN and I don't think it even has a demo. Even the physical copy of Killzone Mercenaries caps at $40. I can't even think of another Vita game that's over $40.

It has a demo on JP PSN.

Which is exactly why I didn't buy it, coz it's completely touch-based from what I remember.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Nooooo. Noooooooooooooo. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I was thinking about what might come next the other day. I had to import it for Vita and it's a shame it never got another patch (there's an issue with audio dropping out if you press fever while auto-break goes off). I wonder if there's anyone left in the company to at least get it out on EU PSN and participate in some sales. There's still plenty of value in the product it would be a shame if it just sits there forever at such a high price it doesn't sell anymore.

igor

And the NA digital version of Portable 3 has the 2.0 patch which the UMD version never got.

Huh? Is that that vital patch that fixes the missions and the bugs and all sorts of things? Cause there's a patch and in fact the UMD got it earlier than PSN version back in the day.

I personally think it was the right direction to cast off their beatmania-clone roots and make something truly unique. Of all music games out there, Technika has some serious style and is extremely fun - more so at the arcade than on the Vita though.

This is probably my favorite chart in the game - too bad it's an unlockable, so unless someone manages to hack the unlocks into the game or simulate the game's server, we'll never see it again: Watch Your Step (HD)

Yes, the video is about a girl going to the bathroom.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Huh? Is that that vital patch that fixes the missions and the bugs and all sorts of things? Cause there's a patch and in fact the UMD got it earlier than PSN version back in the day.

There was a second patch after that one.
V1.01 the UMD got.
V2.0 for PSN fixed some additional things though I don't have the details offhand.

Zafir

Is DJ Max available physically on Vita (preferably in English)? There's no European PSN version and memory card switching to US is a major hassle. Would love to play this.

Used to love the EZ2DJ arcade games. Damn they were fun.
Just grab the retail US version. I personally imported it from Videogameplus.ca and since it's a retail copy, you can just use it with your EU account.

Edit: Scratch that, seems like they got rid of it from their site. I believe the Asian version has english?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Well shit, I really wanted to check out Technika Q. :(

ALM5252

I been wanting to buy the game on PSN, but the price seems really high for something I'm not entirely sure I'll enjoy. I wish I could try a demo. The new style of touch gameplay is what is making my decision difficult. I really enjoyed DJMax Portable 3 and Fever. Guess I'll buy it when I got the spare money. :)

ZeroX03

Banned
Just grab the retail US version. I personally imported it from Videogameplus.ca and since it's a retail copy, you can just use it with your EU account.

Edit: Scratch that, seems like they got rid of it from their site. I believe the Asian version has english?

Amazon and Play-Asia are out of stock too. If the Asian version has English I'll just grab that, not like it matters for more than menus in these sorts of games anyway.

Sad, sad news. The series was really addictive and pretty damn tough, especially their unlock tiers (hated this in DJMax Portable) which required certain combos for each different unlock. I'm not very good at these games to not break combos every so often *sigh*.

Black Square was definitely the harder game, personally. Made harder thanks to songs going out of synch even with the install (one time pirates had a benefit!)

I hope there'll be something good for the series in the close future, but if not, I had a blast either way.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.

Ughh, I didn't even know about this. I've been meaning to switch to digital for more of my PSP games but financially, I'm so not ready to rebuy P3 and Fever.

Hope we at least get some warning if (...when?) any delistings happen...

Yasumi

Banned
Amazon and Play-Asia are out of stock too. If the Asian version has English I'll just grab that, not like it matters for more than menus in these sorts of games anyway.

It doesn't even seem to be on the technikatune.com website, which is straight from Pentavision Global. NA physical copies are going to get rare as heck.

Ughh, I didn't even know about this. I've been meaning to switch to digital for more of my PSP games but financially, I'm so not ready to rebuy P3 and Fever.

Hope we at least get some warning if (...when?) any delistings happen...

DJMAX Fever is already history; PM Studios is long dead.

What a tragedy. I've been a big fan of the DJ Max series, so it's sad to see it collapse like this. I guess I can hope for a revival one day, as unlikely as that is.

1emons

Neo Member
Damn, Clazziquai Edition was practically the only game I played for months when I bought my PSP earlier this year. I really hope this isn't the end.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Wait, really? What did the 2.0 patch add? Might have to replace my physical copy with the digital one if that's the case.

Well, unless the Korean UMD got the patch.

Requiem173

Neo Member
Really quite sad. Djmaxx Technika Tune was actually the first game I played on my vita. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Just went ahead and bought Djmax Portable 3 on PSN in case they disappear.

catmario

Oh.....
Djmax Technika 3 sever is shut-down, and They stopped Djmax trilogy server.

Truely, djmax franchise is becomming only for smartphones. Djmax ray and Technica Q..... dat Kakao model is screwing djmax.

This breaks my heart. This has always been one of my most beloved series in a time where games don't really try to be like the music games of yesterday anymore.

So I hadn't looked at the comments to the Taps post too closely until now. Eddie had elaborated on exactly what happened when Neowiz became involved in DJMAX's future:

Pentavision merged with Neowiz Mobile almost 2 years ago, and at that point the Pentavision CEO left the company. Along with him left a number of the original development and music team. Neowiz Mobile didn't want to persue anything in the arcade market, so no development on Technika continued. Technika Tune was made out of a contractual obligation to a company they were working with in Japan, and other than that they wanted to stay strictly mobile. I left the company shortly after Tune was released so I don't know the full details, but to my understanding no one from the original Pentavision team works for Neowiz anymore, effectively killing off the DJMAX franchise in the process. Technika going offline is probably a result of their desire to stay out of the arcade market along with no one being there to manage the servers anymore.

Roubjon

This blows so hard. It's one of my favorite series out there, if not my absolute favorite. I don't think I've played any other game longer than these ones. I actually felt like I nearly mastered the goddamn games. Like others said, it kinda went downhill at Portable 3 with the home releases, but they were still fun as hell. I'll miss you DJMAX :(

Obligatory list of favorites: Portable 1 > Portable 2 > Clazziquai > BlackSquare > Portable 3. But really the only one I didn't love was 3.

I made this little thing based off of my favorite song in the series, Blythe.

Selvaria

This is truly a shame. I really enjoyed Fever and Clazziquai Edition. I'll miss this series.

Thankfully I have the Project Diva f games to play.

Yasumi

Banned
Just confirming, the Trilogy server is dead.
trilogy.jpg

You can still play the game just fine, but any updates, including new songs that were added with those updates, are pretty much lost to the ether.

Feel is probably my favorite in the series. Right Now comes in a very close second.

Top Bottom