• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The unclear future of DJMAX

Roubjon

This is now the DJ MAX memorial thread.

End of the Moonlight

Definitely one of my favorites.

Where is the love for NB Rangers?!?

EDIT:

End of Moonlight all night!

tumblr_myplkb0unA1r51s2ko1_250.png

kasane

DJMAX technika belong in the arcades. It just doesn't translate well in the vita's small screen.

I do very much like another DJ max portable black square for Vita

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Just confirming, the Trilogy server is dead.
trilogy.jpg

You can still play the game just fine, but any updates, including new songs that were added with those updates, are pretty much lost to the ether.

Feel is probably my favorite in the series. Right Now comes in a very close second.

If i'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure you can update the game with a downloadable patch. Will have to do some research though.

sibarraz

Banned
ok, I bought 4 packs of songs on dj max ray, I downloaded them, the game crashed, I returned and they were gone

I'm still not sure if they charged my credit card with it or not but at least on my app purchases the games are still there

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Just confirming, the Trilogy server is dead.
trilogy.jpg

You can still play the game just fine, but any updates, including new songs that were added with those updates, are pretty much lost to the ether.

Feel is probably my favorite in the series. Right Now comes in a very close second.

That game's DRM was never broken either, was it? the USB dongle requirement was the reason I never bothered buying the game.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
That game's DRM was never broken either, was it? the USB dongle requirement was the reason I never bothered buying the game.

Based on what I've seen while looking for a patch, I think it was cracked. Whats wrong with the usb dongle though?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wonder if we'll get any warning at all if/when Technika Vita and DJ Max 3 are delisted from PSN.

I have a physical card of Technika, but thinking of grabbing DJ Max 3 right now.

hamchan

Based on what I've seen while looking for a patch, I think it was cracked. Whats wrong with the usb dongle though?

I spent an hour today looking for my dongle. :-/

Just more convenient if we didn't have to use the dongle. If only a Steam version had come out.

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
At least they continued porting long after Konami gave up on CS IIDX.

ePDRmLN.jpg

There's a Technika 3 machine not too far from my work. Will stop by next week and see if they've even bothered keeping it switched on.

Platinum Crew went offline as of 31-12-2013, so I don't know how playable it still is.

yyr

I look forward to buying the Vita game once it's appropriately priced. Never played a game in the series, would I just be better off with the PSP one?

Technika Tune has been appropriately priced since day one and the price most likely isn't going down. You either love music games, or you don't...

The PSP games play completely differently.

This is probably my favorite chart in the game - too bad it's an unlockable, so unless someone manages to hack the unlocks into the game or simulate the game's server, we'll never see it again: Watch Your Step (HD)

Saturday Night Set is not an unlock; it's available even offline. So if you're not scared of Club Mixing, you can indeed still play it. =)

I see mention of PM Studios. They published a few games including DJMAX Fever and Technika 1, but Pentavision Global released later games such as DJMAX Portable 3 and Technika 2/3.

Platinum Crew went offline as of 31-12-2013, so I don't know how playable it still is.

Only initially available content is available for play; all unlockable content is inaccessible. What this basically boils down to is that the majority of Technika 1 and 2 songs are fully playable at all three difficulty levels, though not all, and about half of Technika 3's new songs are playable on the easiest level only.

fernoca

Damn shame!
Kinda glad I managed to keep my copy of Technika Tune. Last year since I didn't had a steady job I got rid of the Vita and other things, but couldn't sell Tune in stores since Gamestop didn't carried it and put it a few times around here in the Buy/Sell-Thread (for $40 shipped along the Technika 2 OST with bonuses)..and no PMs, no nothing.

In any case got a Vita again around a month ago, things are better now..and I've been playing it again.

Heck, because of this news grabbed the digital version of Portable 3.

Arzehn

Ah, it's a shame these games can't do well in any market besides Korea. I remember playing DJMax 1 and loving it. Never bothered importing any of the sequels though. Will get Technika when I get a Vita though. Might grab Portable 3 off PSN as well. Didn't even know it was on there (thanks fernoca :D).

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Kind of lame I guess but Technika Tune in the arcades is really boring and one of the least popular otoge. I definitely didn't enjoy it, but sucks for DJMAX fans. At least the genre is still popular ~

I imported the Vita game when it got released. For those who are complaining about the price being $45 on PSN: Stop, its the best music game on the Vita.

Elvick

Banned
I would have bought it on Vita had there been other ways of buying it... and it wasn't $50 for whatever reason (I'd have bought it at retail).

Call of Duty?
Uncharted at launch as well, but Sony quickly dropped it. I think those were the only three at $50.

dammit loved the psp ones.... just read there is an android version and is free, but i cant install it on my country... how can i bypass that?

EDIT> thats no good because you still need to do payments inside the app... and without a server then...

tba

Sad news, I love the series.
I glad that I managed to buy DJMax Trilogy Limited Edition with an arcade controller last year. Will probably buy Black Square from Japanese PSN since its the only digital title available I still do not own.

Tayaya

Damn shame!
Kinda glad I managed to keep my copy of Technika Tune. Last year since I didn't had a steady job I got rid of the Vita and other things, but couldn't sell Tune in stores since Gamestop didn't carried it and put it a few times around here in the Buy/Sell-Thread (for $40 shipped along the Technika 2 OST with bonuses)..and no PMs, no nothing.

In any case got a Vita again around a month ago, things are better now..and I've been playing it again.

Heck, because of this news grabbed the digital version of Portable 3.

I didn't know we even got a physical release of Tune over here in the US - I have the special edition of the Japanese release, but I kinda like this packaging.

I was a very didicated IIDX CS and Pop'n Music CS player for many years (have both Arcade Style Controllers from Konamistyle), but I completely lost interest in music games after a while. The PSP versions of the DJ Max games are what made me start playing music games again... seeing this happen to such a talented group of musicians and artists (I LOVE the UI in just about every game in the series) breaks my heart. Really crappy way to start the new year!

colinp

Banned
I still have a mib Portable 2 Orpheus Silver box I picked up on the whim a few years back at a second hand shop in Japan. Was planning on selling it and kinda got sidetracked. Wonder if it's worth any more now. I can't imagine it gets put up for sale very often.

yyr

Kind of lame I guess but Technika Tune in the arcades is really boring

This is the sort of comment that makes me (and others) rage. "I didn't like it" is different from a completely untrue statement that flies in the face of everyone that passionately loved the experience, which happened to be exciting in a way that no other game is.

You don't have to be a jerk about it.

Zafir

Still saddened Portable 3 didn't get released on the PSN in Europe. Can't play it on my Vita unless I went to the trouble of putting my US account on a memory card.

Wonko_C

This is the sort of comment that makes me (and others) rage. "I didn't like it" is different from a completely untrue statement that flies in the face of everyone that passionately loved the experience, which happened to be exciting in a way that no other game is.

True, many Internet arguments and flame wars would've been avoided if people were more tactful, but this also applies to the receiving end. We should learn to not be easily offended and keep civil just like you did on your post.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't the biggest fan of Technika

but DJ Max Portable was my favorite portable game bar none. Even though I was terrible at it.

Sad to see it gone. Should try and find some of the other games I dont have

Garraboa

Damn, it's terrible news. Technika Tune is by far my favorite and most played Vita game ever. Leaving my favorite song here:

Xeus

R.I.P, DJMAX ;A;

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Kind of lame I guess but Technika Tune in the arcades is really boring and one of the least popular otoge. I definitely didn't enjoy it, but sucks for DJMAX fans. At least the genre is still popular ~

ZHtCGR7.gif
/!\>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!I definitely didn't enjoy it, but sucks for DJMAX fans.<<<<<<<<<<<<!!!!!!!!!!!/!\
ZHtCGR7.gif

sibarraz

Banned

oh cmon, isn't like he said LOL ALL THE FANS OF DJ MAX ARE IDIOTS HOW COULD THEY ENJOY SUCH GAMES WITH SUCH A GAY SOUNDTRACK? he just found the vita game boring.

Back to topic, even if the former team could create another IP, I will miss all the classics themes from dj max, I know that some of them had been like forever and in all the games, but I love end of the moonlight, miles, or oblivion amongst others, this really sucks.

I could swear that dj max was a profitable game, even here in Chile the fact that a machine with cards was avaliable was BIG NEWS amongst gamers. Some guys will put like 30 credits to play all the fucking on the first days

Tomorrow I will give a hug to that machine

yyr

DJMAX Fever is already history; PM Studios is long dead.

I thought this was true, but oddly enough--although DJMAX Fever was indeed delisted from the PS Store, Strikers 1945 Plus (also published by PM Studios) is still there. Weird. Their Web site still exists, too, though it hasn't been updated since 2008 and lists the only three games they've ever published (Fever, S1945+, Technika1)
http://www.pm-games.com/

and keep civil

I didn't think I was particularly uncivil but w/e. It's just that when the plug is essentially being pulled on a series that has brought together as many people as this has (including many real-life friends that I'll be spending the weekend with, and would not necessarily have met otherwise), some people get emotional easily in response to untactful statements and I'm no exception. It is what it is.

Man, I always loved the DJMAX series since I played Portable 2 for the first time. After Konami struck them with a lawsuit regarding it's similarity to IIDX, things already started to go down a slope.

I always loved how the series had full support for English menus as well, so even if you bought the games from overseas you could enjoy them.

I'm going to say that Memoirs was one of my favorite songs of the series.

So basically what I've pieced together as happening since the last timeline update:

What used to be the official DJMAX Facebook page run by Pentavision Global was renamed by their administrators, and the Facebook alias was changed to djmaxfanpage to reflect its change in status. At some point after this renaming, someone not affiliated with Pentavision Global nor Neowiz created a new page with the old djmaxofficial alias, as it had been vacated due to the rename. Do not treat it as a reliable source of information.

In the meantime, it appears many of DJMAX's developers have gathered and formed a team named "Nurijoy". They won't be able to use the DJMAX name without Neowiz, but it'll be interesting to see what comes of this...

I'm in Japan right now... if I never got the US version of Technika Tune and still want it, should I just grab the JP version while I'm here? Is the US version even available anymore on PSN? I don't have my Vita with me to check...

Kumo

Time to go import the PSP games that I'm missing. It's a damn shame and I hope the IP can get picked up one way or another. There's plenty of us DJMAX fans out there!

Valkyria

Banned
So basically what I've pieced together as happening since the last timeline update:

What used to be the official DJMAX Facebook page run by Pentavision Global was renamed by their administrators, and the Facebook alias was changed to djmaxfanpage to reflect its change in status. At some point after this renaming, someone not affiliated with Pentavision Global nor Neowiz created a new page with the old djmaxofficial alias, as it had been vacated due to the rename. Do not treat it as a reliable source of information.

In the meantime, it appears many of DJMAX's developers have gathered and formed a team named "Nurijoy". They won't be able to use the DJMAX name without Neowiz, but it'll be interesting to see what comes of this...

Wow awesome news, I don't care about the name. Another game alike would be awesome.

Roubjon

Yeah thanks for the update man. I hope something comes out of that. There has been a gargantuan hole in my gaming life because of a lack of great rhythm games :(

Koppai

Sorry to bump this,

But I just bought a used Vita on Ebay and was wondering it this game is worth its price...since it looks like everything in the game is shut down? <_<;'

Roubjon

Sorry to bump this,

But I just bought a used Vita on Ebay and was wondering it this game is worth its price...since it looks like everything in the game is shut down? <_<;'

There weren't any online features in the game that were anything exciting, so you wouldn't be missing out on anything there. The game is definitely fun, and I'd say it's for sure worth the money if you like rhythm games. If you are really good at them, maybe not. But otherwise, I say go for it. It's got some good music and fun gameplay.

AlexIIDX

Sorry to bump this,

It's worth it, bought it on release day and still play. Lots of good music, unlockables, and its really addictive (to me at least).

DJ Max Portable is easily my most played PSP game, if it (or another technika) never come to Vita it would be very sad.

Some of my favorites:
Jupiter Driving
Ladymade Star
Angel
Cosmic Fantastic Lovesong
One the Love

Top Bottom