• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The unclear future of DJMAX

Koppai

I wish I could get the physical release. :<

But oh well, we'll see I don't have the Vita yet so I'll wait on it I guess lol.

edit:

Wait is there DLC for the game? I can play Hatsune Miku on like Easy, Normal...will this be too hard? Thanks

AlexIIDX

I wish I could get the physical release. :<

But oh well, we'll see I don't have the Vita yet so I'll wait on it I guess lol.

edit:

Wait is there DLC for the game? I can play Hatsune Miku on like Easy, Normal...will this be too hard? Thanks

DLC was planned I think but never came out...and you shouldn't have trouble on the easier difficulty.

Roubjon

I want a rhythm game on Vita but damn $45 is so steep :(

wondering if I should just wait for Miku next month

You could check out Cytus Lambda on the Playstation Mobile store. It's a pretty good rhythm game, especially for the price. It's pretty barebones, but there are tons of songs and the gameplay is pretty fun, if not a little too forgiving sometimes.

It's sad what's happening. I like DJMAX. I'm a fan of rhythm games in general, especially ones with a focus on electronic dance music. And while I'm a bigger fan of Bemani, it's great to have variety and see electronic dance games and other rhythm games do well. I like the these kinds of games, and I want to see them succeed and do well.

Outside of Bemani, I really enjoy games like Taiko no Tatsujin, Puyo Puyo Da, Hatsune Miku Project Diva f, and DJMAX. It was really nice to see South Korea work in game development other than online role playing games.

I really hope that they DJMAX games aren't gone and they will at least continue on in some way. My favourite rhythm game franchise of all time is perhaps Beatmania IIDX. And DJMAX really reminded me of a Korean Beatmania. So DJMAX really appealed to me. I really liked having more variety and more Beatmania-like games. And it was really nice seeing Korean developers make games like this.

It's sad that this is happening when such great rhythm game creators. Hopefully, the developers will still be able to find ways to make more games like this. I would really like to see more and support them.

In the meantime, it appears many of DJMAX's developers have gathered and formed a team named "Nurijoy". They won't be able to use the DJMAX name without Neowiz, but it'll be interesting to see what comes of this...

Fuck yeah, there is hope after all.

I would give a kidney for another button based game, touchscreen is kinda ok for the most part, but nothing beats playing this games with a good controller...damn now i need to boot up trilogy.

Falk

that puzzling face
This has been something that has come up from time to time but had no real commercial momentum behind it but:

How do you people feel about a QWERTY keyboard music game on Steam that follows the IIDX/DJMAX principle of 1) not sucking 2) keysounded 3) specific music written for the game as opposed to 'plug in ur library l0l' 2) specific visuals per song.

As I see it, the main reason DJMAX never really gained traction outside of Korea/Japan was its platform, in particular the fact that handhelds and arcade machines are nowhere near as ubiquitous outside those territories (no, not even in South East Asia or China). Steam solves the distribution problem, and QWERTY-based solves the peripheral/entry barrier problem and 'solves' the 'problem' of the skill curve being absolutely neutered by going to PSP buttons and/or touchscreens.

edit: I also mention Steam because in today's landscape pretty much every publisher who might be willing to risk funding a music game on console will want some kind of peripheral because of a skewed sense of precedence, completely missing the point of a low entry barrier. Also Steam makes a lot more sense for a platform that can eases being updated from time to time with new content. (Yes, I'm aware of RBN but that's the exception and not the rule)

megalowho

So where does my money go if I buy this? And how does it compare to Technika Tune gameplay and music-wise? Unlockables?
It's a different game with similar visual presentation, unlocks as you gain levels and some soundtrack overlap - more like Beatmania than Ouendan. Look up DJMAX Portable videos for examples.

Unfortunately it's the worst of the series in my opinion both in terms of soundtrack selection and gameplay tweaks, but I have it downloaded on my Vita anyway. Was worth it for me.

Sakujou

Banned
damn, i missed this thread back then.

i was so hooked by the dj max brand back then since the psp-days... also bought dj max technika tune for psp for fucking 60US dollars(iam living in germany)

right now iam in SK and its hard to see, that these arcades are hardly used these days, while jubeat, reflecbeat, IIDX, Sound VOLTEX are heavily occupied all the time...

It's sad what's happening. I like DJMAX. I'm a fan of rhythm games in general, especially ones with a focus on electronic dance music. And while I'm a bigger fan of Bemani, it's great to have variety and see electronic dance games and other rhythm games do well. I like the these kinds of games, and I want to see them succeed and do well.

Outside of Bemani, I really enjoy games like Taiko no Tatsujin, Puyo Puyo Da, Hatsune Miku Project Diva f, and DJMAX. It was really nice to see South Korea work in game development other than online role playing games.

I really hope that they DJMAX games aren't gone and they will at least continue on in some way. My favourite rhythm game franchise of all time is perhaps Beatmania IIDX. And DJMAX really reminded me of a Korean Beatmania. So DJMAX really appealed to me. I really liked having more variety and more Beatmania-like games. And it was really nice seeing Korean developers make games like this.

It's sad that this is happening when such great rhythm game creators. Hopefully, the developers will still be able to find ways to make more games like this. I would really like to see more and support them.

check out ez2dj. its a unbelievable one to one copy of IIDX and the planned pedal by konami. but konami eventually dropped it while the pedal thing remained in the korean version of it.

i have to say, i love the visuals of djmax, but while djmax didnt evolve enough, IIDX or bemani in general evolved yearly. visuals and different styles. just perfect. but on the other hand djmax is so easy to start and get into musicgames while the learning curve in bemani games is just so freaking steep and next to impossible to get into it as a newbie.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This reminds me I should get Technika on Vita one of these days...just wish it'd go on sale, especially all the times Portable 3 got discounted (still mad that save data doesn't transfer, otherwise I'd get a digital copy to replace the retail version I sold with my PSP, but not dealing with the grinding again, ESPECIALLY with 99,999 combo).

This reminds me I should get Technika on Vita one of these days...just wish it'd go on sale, especially all the times Portable 3 got discounted (still mad that save data doesn't transfer, otherwise I'd get a digital copy to replace the retail version I sold with my PSP, but not dealing with the grinding again, ESPECIALLY with 99,999 combo).

Hate to break it to you but we are more likely to see Technika removed from the store than to see it get a discount now that the parent company is dissolved.

Just saying it might be $45 we all just have to spend in order to play it... (myself included)

Bought Technika day 1. Retail. Worth every penny.
Probably the game I played the most on my Vita.

That and Soul Sacrifice.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hate to break it to you but we are more likely to see Technika removed from the store than to see it get a discount now that the parent company is dissolved.

Just saying it might be $45 we all just have to spend in order to play it... (myself included)
If it happens, I just hope they actually warn us, since I might give in & work my budget in order to get it. I originally pre-ordered the LE, but after thinking it over, I didn't want it as much as I originally did and figured it'd be smarter to save my money. Though now, it seems no place sells a physical US copy.

sibarraz

Banned
Who will release the game on IOS? at least since the parent company apparently killed the brand I don't understand what's going on

ugh i think finding a NA copy is impossible now. i don't want to import

theres certain games where i just need to own a physical copy. this is one of them.

MarkusRJR

Wait, the Vita game's servers are down and 80% of the content is locked out? Fuck, I was thinking of picking it up down the line.

MUnited83

For you.
Wait, the Vita game's servers are down and 80% of the content is locked out? Fuck, I was thinking of picking it up down the line.

"DJMAX Technika (arcade) and Trilogy"

Nothing to do with the Vita title. All content on the Vita version comes with the game itself and it does not require a internet connection.

Yes, the Vita version does not rely on any server for unlockable content. The locked content remark only applies to the arcade Technika and Trilogy on PC.

Though, I'm hearing rumors of a Technika 4, but nothing concrete or any further detail.

ChronoX

Okay, I've never heard of DJ Max until I saw this thread and it seems like a game I could get into.

1. Would it make any sense buying this game for the PC at this point?

2. Based on previous posts in this thread apparently the PC servers are down which locks me out of content, which of course is a major part in a music game. Is there any other way to get this content?

3. After some Googling I realized that there is Muse-On controller for this game that some people say are required. Is this true? Any recommendations on where to buy?

4. Does this game allow importing of your own music library?

Any other helpful information would be nice as well on anyone familiar with the PC version. If it's not worth jumping it at this point, please let me know and the reasons why. Thanks in advance!

cj_iwakura

Okay, I've never heard of DJ Max until I saw this thread and it seems like a game I could get into.

1. Would it make any sense buying this game for the PC at this point?

2. Based on previous posts in this thread apparently the PC servers are down which locks me out of content, which of course is a major part in a music game. Is there any other way to get this content?

3. After some Googling I realized that there is Muse-On controller for this game that some people say are required. Is this true? Any recommendations on where to buy?

4. Does this game allow importing of your own music library?

Any other helpful information would be nice as well on anyone familiar with the PC version. If it's not worth jumping it at this point, please let me know and the reasons why. Thanks in advance!

Do you have a handheld device? The PSP titles are the best, IMO, and a good indicator of whether or not DJM is for you.

And if you don't, they're worth getting a cheap PSP for. Start with Clazziquai Edition or Portable 2/Fever.

I'm not familiar with the PC version/Trilogy unfortunately.

ChronoX

Do you have a handheld device? The PSP titles are the best, IMO, and a good indicator of whether or not DJM is for you.

And if you don't, they're worth getting a cheap PSP for. Start with Clazziquai Edition or Portable 2/Fever.

I'm not familiar with the PC version/Trilogy unfortunately.

I don't have a PSP. The only handheld I own is a Nintendo DS Lite which I haven't used in ages. I do 95% of my gaming on my PC which is why I was curious about DJ Max Trilogy. Thanks for the feedback though.

Wynnebeck

Banned
In other news, a good friend of mine's friend managed to snag a Technika machine and is hosting his own proxy server for the machine to get the unlocks. I'll have to find where this machine is and have a crack session lol.

cj_iwakura

I don't have a PSP. The only handheld I own is a Nintendo DS Lite which I haven't used in ages. I do 95% of my gaming on my PC which is why I was curious about DJ Max Trilogy. Thanks for the feedback though.

Could always try out Lunatic Rave(Beatmania simulator) or O2Jam(is that even possible anymore?), which are kind of similar in terms of gameplay.

Roubjon

DJMAX and their teasers drive me insane. And at this point I'll probably be disappointed at whatever is at the end of the tunnel. I'll keep my hopes up though!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
&#65399;&#65408;&#9473;&#9473;&#9473;&#9473;&#9473;(&#65439;&#8704;&#65439;)&#9473;&#9473;oh wait, Technika sequel? No thanks (._. )

Falk

that puzzling face
I guess I reserve judgement... the two screen setup could be for something radically different, after all, and it's there to appeal to the Technika fanbase.

What I'd definitely expect is touchscreen (how could it not be with that layout) and keysounded as it's their forte.

Kinda thankful it's not outright mobile, although I still wish they'd actually get onto platforms that have some form of non-garbage (mobile lol) penetration outside of Korea/Japan.

genbatzu

r.i.p djmax ._.

I really really enjoyed DJ Max Black Square and Clazziquai Edition on my PSP, imported both from hk.
So naturally I imported DJ Max Technica Tune for PS Vita, too! and was dissapointed -.-
No more button controls... only touch controls where you cover the whole screen with your fingers and can't see anything.. played 4 songs and never touched it again.

AlexIIDX

r.i.p djmax ._.

I really really enjoyed DJ Max Black Square and Clazziquai Edition on my PSP, imported both from hk.
So naturally I imported DJ Max Technica Tune for PS Vita, too! and was dissapointed -.-
No more button controls... only touch controls where you cover the whole screen with your fingers and can't see anything.. played 4 songs and never touched it again.

You had no idea what it was before you imported? DJ Max Portable games were awesome but I think technika tune is pretty damn good too.

genbatzu

You had no idea what it was before you imported? DJ Max Portable games were awesome but I think technika tune is pretty damn good too.

only a vague idea.
But in general I bought it because of the brand DJMax, those PSP games really are awesome.

touch controls are just not working for me, but I gave it a try, I want to see the game screen and not have my fingers on it (the whole time) :/

Roubjon

only a vague idea.
But in general I bought it because of the brand DJMax, those PSP games really are awesome.

touch controls are just not working for me, but I gave it a try, I want to see the game screen and not have my fingers on it (the whole time) :/

There are ways to hold and play the game where your fingers aren't in front of the screen the entire time.

Top Bottom