• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The unclear future of DJMAX

Yasumi

Banned
Apologies for the bump, but was the digital release of Technika Tune on the vita pulled from the Japanese store?

I had the game on ps plus, but since my sub lapsed and was not subsequently renewed until two weeks later, I'm now unable to launch the game as it remains expired.

The game no longer appears on the store or in my download list either. : [
Seems to be gone, yeah. The Kara license probably expired or something. That really sucks.

Were the PSP games ever on JP PSN? I'm not seeing any of those either.

Yuuichi

It's not quite dead yet, programmed crew is a thing now so at least the arcade machines are ok for a while, but the hardware itself (mostly touch handling) is kind of a pain to replicate so that's going to keep it to arcades.

Information in the OP is a bit dated since this thread is from last year, but a basic summary of events since:
  • A company formed by former DJMAX devs, Nurijoy, develops and premieres a new arcade music game, Beatcraft Cyclon. Many musicians who contributed to the DJMAX series are supporting the new game. Notably, it is designed as an upgrade for existing DJMAX Technika cabinets, though it does not share the same gameplay mechanics.
  • Neowiz Mobile eventually did release DJMAX Technika Q outside of Korea for Android and iOS.
  • A third party succeeds in (mostly) reverse engineering the DJMAX Technika 3 server protocol and launches an unofficial server, reenabling the content previously rendered inaccessible by the official server shutdown.
I honestly haven't been keeping up with developments since; there is probably discussion of Beatcraft Cyclon elsewhere that is more up to date.

SHarris78

Stumbled upon this thread by accident, and having recently fallen in love with the Project Diva games on Vita/PS3, i've just taken the plunge and bought a copy from Amazon. There are now 5 left in stock if anyone wants to grab one before they all go.

I'm not sure i'm gonna enjoy this as much as the Diva games as the few songs from the game I have heard aren't my cup of tea. But they'll probably still be fun to play, and i'm sure there'll be one or two tunes that'll be more to my liking.

antibolo

Banned
It's actually incredible that Technika Tune still hasn't been delisted from NA PSN yet. Anybody who's still on the fence about getting it should do it ASAP. It's never going to be on sale anyway.

There's also VGP but they'll surely run out soon.

Falk

that puzzling face
Do you have a handheld device? The PSP titles are the best, IMO, and a good indicator of whether or not DJM is for you.

And if you don't, they're worth getting a cheap PSP for. Start with Clazziquai Edition or Portable 2/Fever.

I'm not familiar with the PC version/Trilogy unfortunately.

Okay, I'm 8 months late but wtf you of all people would love Trilogy, as much of an abandoned/incomplete project it is.

(Also no idea how I didn't see this particular post earlier lol)

edit: no, really

I honestly haven't been keeping up with developments since; there is probably discussion of Beatcraft Cyclon elsewhere that is more up to date.

As far as I know, Cyclon has zero presence/discussion on GAF. Not surprising as it's not penetrating outside arcade (and only certain locations at that) for foreseeable future. I had the chance to play it in Taiwan during its location test there in October when VGO was doing our concert in Taipei. It's a sick game, sorta like Mai Mai but... "analog" for want of a better word. (it's completely different being on a touchscreen compared to Mai Mai's fixed position buttons)

I honestly do wish that the music crew would reunite under a banner that's willing to try the PC market again though, because even though Cyclon seems to have a much higher skill curve/ceiling than Technika, nothing beats IIDX-esque gameplay in terms of complexity and skill cap.

tba

Black Square and maybe Portable 3. I have the latter on my US account so I'm not quite sure about it.
Black Square and Technika Tune are still available to download via the download list.

cj_iwakura

Okay, I'm 8 months late but wtf you of all people would love Trilogy, as much of an abandoned/incomplete project it is.

(Also no idea how I didn't see this particular post earlier lol)

edit: no, really

Yeah, it looks fantastic. Just never had a chance to pick it up.

Steam version when? :p

Valkyria

Banned
Beatcraft Cyclon looks awesome. I would be so nice if it found its way to Ps Vita. Maybe I have to settle myself with IA/VT next year.

Seems to be gone, yeah. The Kara license probably expired or something. That really sucks.

I think it's because the Japanese publisher, Cyberfront, has been dissolved by their parent company.

Top Bottom