• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Xbox One update arriving in March, white console later this year

MCD

Microsoft is preparing to release its first major Xbox One dashboard update in March. Sources familiar with the plans have revealed to The Verge that the update will focus on fixing a number of issues with the Xbox Live service on the console, alongside other system fixes. Party-chat problems and issues with the usability and placement of social features of Xbox Live will be improved with the update. The update timing was first revealed by a forum poster at NeoGAF, and The Verge has verified it separately.

The anonymous forum poster also claims Microsoft will release a white version of its Xbox One console in October alongside the launch of Sunset Overdrive. A 1TB version of the Xbox One is rumored for release a month later in November. The Verge can confirm Microsoft is indeed planning to release its white employee-only Xbox One this year. Other rumors shared by the anonymous forum poster include the possibility of an Xbox One without a Blu-ray drive, a Bluetooth adapter, and launch dates for the console worldwide. While it's unclear if a disc-less Xbox One will make it to market, The Verge can also confirm Microsoft has been testing versions of its console without a Blu-ray drive.

Microsoft is said to be releasing Xbox One in April in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Colombia, Chile, and Argentina. An October launch of Xbox One is also rumored to follow in China, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Greece, Portugal, Slovakia, Turkey, Saudia Arabia, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, Israel, India, Indonesia, and Egypt.

We’ve reached out to Microsoft for comment on all the Xbox One rumors, and we’ll update you accordingly.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/29/5359540/xbox-one-dashboard-update-white-console-release-date

ntkrnl is the source.

If Tom Warren confirms it then shit is real.

RoKKeR

The fact that a reputable site like the Verge has confirmed some of the leaker's original leaks is big, but that doesn't speak for his crazy new stuff that has popped up recently.

Will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ntkrnl is the source, but they say they've verified details through other sources.

And yeah, I think ntkrnl started with legit info, but has since moved on to trolling + making shit up.

Naminator

Banned
ntkrnl is the source, but they say they've verified details through other sources.

And yeah, I think ntkrnl started with legit info, but has since moved on to trolling + making shit up.

But, but, but..................I REALLY want Halo 3 port to be real :(

Bsigg12

Establish credibility and then troll like a motherfucker. Genius plan really.

Drago

White console is expected but it makes me very happy nonetheless (especially if bundled with SO as ntkrnl says). Now I just need Sony to put the PS4 out in white too! ;)

At least some of the things ntkrnl has said seem to be true. Some of the more recent postings though... lol

Finalizer

The herd moves on to a new thread.

lKH9gpD.jpg

Hubble

With The Verge using some if its contacts to verify some of the rumors, does lead to some credibility to the leaks but more will be needed. Ntkrnl was still 'leaking' whether true or not, not sure, and responding, so I don't think the main thread should've been closed. He could've answered more questions by us. But perhaps it was the right decision.

Finalizer

With The Verge using some if its contacts to verify some of the rumors, does lead to some credibility to the leaks but more will be needed. Ntkrnl was still 'leaking' whether true or not sure, and responding, so I don't think the main thread should've been closed. He could've answered more questions by us. But perhaps it was the right decision.

For what it's worth,

For the record, nearly everything else this dude has posted is correct, to my knowledge.

In any case, I'd wager there's some mod/admin deliberation as to how to deal with the situation, given that there's a lot of uncertainty surrounding the nature of these supposed leaks. Guessing these kind of threads are gonna get routinely locked for the time being, at least until the dust settles. But with The Verge & possibly others picking up on this stuff, it's still gonna draw a lot of attention regardless.

Feels like we'll be seeing a sequel to this wonderful drama sometime in the near future.

viveks86

I wonder why the verge is the only one with these "sources" other than ntkrnl. Isn't Polygon a sister site of The Verge? Guess where this trail goes back to…. Hmmm…

HariKari

I wonder why the verge is the only one with these "sources" other than ntkrnl. Isn't Polygon a sister site of The Verge? Guess where this trail goes back to…. Hmmm…

Thuway did say that some journalists were in on it. Hard to say at this point.

Squire

Banned

Tom Warren has had good info on MS loooooong before Polygon was even a thought in someone's head.

It's possible, but he's perfectly capable of obtaining information on his own.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If this thread can stay focused on the Verge report, without going off the rails like the other, now locked thread, then I'll keep it open. I know it is tempting to speculate on the veracity and identity of ntkrnl and how he's said more in one day than all our other insiders combined have in years, but that's not for this thread. Thanks.

sn00zer

If this thread can stay focused on the Verge report, without going off the rails like the other, now locked thread, then I'll keep it open. I know it is tempting to speculate on the veracity and identity of ntkrnl and how he's said more in one day than all our other insiders combined have in years, but that's not for this thread. Thanks.
Will there be a thread for that?

xkramz

Fair enough OT whats the chances of me trading a black xbox one for a white one later on down the road without putting down any $?

I think that, even temporarily, we should have a thread to discuss ntkrnl. It's big time game news, and it will probably have an effect of derailing tangentially related threads until we can talk about it.

Also, sorry for doing exactly what I said other people would. Back to discussing the verge, everyone :p

Tom Warren has the sources and he was brought to the verge exactly because of that, to be their "Microsoft guy". Polygon and the Verge are just owned by the same company, they don't necessarily share anything like news or sources, just like Gizmodo and Kotaku don't.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Employee only for the white the Verge says. Why did I originally think it was gonna be sold to the public?

Neuro

So I came here and the world has exploded from conspiracy theories to leaks leaks and more leaks, can someone who stayed awake please chronicle what exactly happened here...

So I came here and the world has exploded from conspiracy theories to leaks leaks and more leaks, can someone who stayed awake please chronicle what exactly happened here...

Is it so hard to read the thread and see bish's post, man? haha

Faddy

Banned
One thing I do find interesting is that The Verge is the only site in independently confirm some of the ntkrnl rumours. And even once Tom Warren wrote it no gaming site picked it up apart from Polygon who simply reposted his report as a sister publication.

Engadget reported it but Joystiq didn't, nor Kotaku, gamespot or IGN. Do the big sites have a collective agreement that they don't publish new originating from here (or any message board) even though it is clearly news and has been confirmed by a second source. Do none of thee gaming sites have the contacts that can verify these rumours, if not that is a sad reflection on the gaming press.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
why the excitement at white consoles?

white consoles are always eventually slightly piss coloured consoles. I don't get it.

Top Bottom