• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Xbox One update arriving in March, white console later this year

You don't think? With the slanted design and the colored light/line, I think a metallic shell would be quite pleasing.

Kind of like the silver PS2:
2369078-6473413566-13033.jpg

jelly

Not excited about the white console, more interested in a slim redesign.

New dashboard should be something. That needs a right going over.

PG2G

They'll need to add preloading before I go completely digital. I might not be patient enough to wait hours to download when a big game like Titanfall releases.

Elitro

A SKU without a drive could work if they provide steam-like deals often enough.
At first i was thinking it didn't make much sense, you can't lend games or even buy the best deals (which usually are retail copies a couple of months after release).
But looking to my computer i realize how useless my drive has been, i buy almost everything through steam and i wouldn't even notice if the drive broken.

But unlike pc DD, the console ones are way behind. if MS can make it work the xbone could become very interesting.

I wish we had some leaks for Sony as well, information has been as scarce as the games so far...

So if I read the report right, I can't effin get Xbox One in Belgium this year either? It was already ridiculous but now it's really getting out of hand.

I really want an official statement from 'Krosoft.

I don't know if a disc less console is a good idea. First off, the BR Drives only cost ~$28, so the most I can see is a $50 price cut. Even if this comes in fall and all other component prices go down, enough for the price cut to actually be $100, the OG XB1 would still get a similar cut. For that price difference, I don't think there's too many people who would give up a BR player and the possibility of using discs for their games (the old bandwidth argument).
It's funny I say this now, as I was always a proponent of both consoles launching with a cheaper disc less SKU... I just don't think it'll make the difference they expect it to.

Doffen

So if I read the report right, I can't effin get Xbox One in Belgium this year either? It was already ridiculous but now it's really getting out of hand.

I really want an official statement from 'Krosoft.

Why would you live there?

Serious question though; what would the difference be for you from ordering it from France or Germany compared to buying it in Belgium?

Alx

I hope they'll add extended support for non-US TV box, that's the major feature that I'm missing.
I don't care about the new models since I already have the console, but the idea of a model without a disk drive doesn't seem absurd to me (I'm only using mine to watch DVD and bluray, that's not too often and I could have other solutions to do it). There's a market for that anyway, but I don't think it would change much of the total price. Maybe if it helps making the console smaller ?

Doffen

I don't know if a disc less console is a good idea. First off, the BR Drives only cost ~$28, so the most I can see is a $50 price cut. Even if this comes in fall and all other component prices go down, enough for the price cut to actually be $100, the OG XB1 would still get a similar cut. For that price difference, I don't think there's too many people who would give up a BR player and the possibility of using discs for their games (the old bandwidth argument).
It's funny I say this now, as I was always a proponent of both consoles launching with a cheaper disc less SKU... I just don't think it'll make the difference they expect it to.

The direct cost of a BR drive is one thing, but wouldn't there also be a license cost? Other than that Microsoft could easily take a $50 hit on each ODD-less console due to the fact that the user most buy products trough their store, a store which they get a bigger cut than from retail sale.

This is surely just assumptions, but I could see them making more on this. You know; the perks of a walled garden.

Xone9

Banned
I would buy the white one for the man room (i own the day one edition), if it was $399.... otherwise, I will wait a year when its $399

Why would you live there?

Serious question though; what would the difference be for you from ordering it from France or Germany compared to buying it in Belgium?
I'm also wondering the same thing, and have been for years :D

Ultimately it wouldn't make a real difference apart for the ease of warranty (well to be honest it's a very important point as they're most of the time massive => shipping is costly) but it's more of a principle. For my European version home consoles, I like buying them at a local store.

Bgamer90

Banned
Don't expect a drastic change. Probably nothing on the home screen(which looks friggen great to me). But most likely in the sub areas that people are complaining most about.

Yeah, that's where I think most of the changes will be made.

I also think the main (tile) home page looks good. Modern minimalist. Very straightforward.

The direct cost of a BR drive is one thing, but wouldn't there also be a license cost? Other than that Microsoft could easily take a $50 hit on each ODD-less console due to the fact that the user most buy products trough their store, a store which they get a bigger cut than from retail sale.

This is surely just assumptions, but I could see them making more on this. You know; the perks of a walled garden.

That's a very good point actually. The latest info I could find with quick google is that licensing cost $14 per drive in 2009 - obviously the price would have gone down by now, but who knows by how much. I think it's safe to guesstimate a $10 licensing cost, so maybe a ~$38 savings? That is a bit more significant. I still think anything less than a $100 price different between the disc-less & BR SKUs will overwhelmingly lead buyers towards the pricier one (or hell towards the blu-ray playing PS4) but I guess just the fact you can market the entire XB1 line at a cheaper price point will get people in the door that you wouldn't otherwise, even if those people never buy the cheap SKU.

jelly

No blu-ray SKU is what they should have offered as an alternative cheaper choice to get people on board with digital distribution and as a result less used game sales instead of their hybrid idea and 24hr check. Nobody gets forced, everyone can choose what they prefer, no flak.

Doffen

Any one else think it's weird that the Titanfall console on the box is different than the rendered one?

I've seen some shitty concept art for close to final products multiple times, this is not even among top 50. But sure, it's odd, and it's not even certain that it will look like any of those.

We'll have to wait and see.

Madness

Any one else think it's weird that the Titanfall console on the box is different than the rendered one?

Not necessarily. As it was never formally announced, the image could have just been a mockup of things to come in a sense. So someone maybe wanted to show potentially how the console would look, and possibly the way the box would look on shelves.

Edit: like an idea of "hey guys were planning on releasing a TitanFall limited edition console bundle, here's what Respawn/EA had in mind".

e-gamer

Well If there was a white Xbox one I would be very tempted if it came to the UK.

I think most of these rumours are made up crap. Lets face it, a discless console with only 500gb? Hell even if it were 1TB it wouldn't work

Just looked at Article... No one mentioning the rumour of this badass console?

AVDmdJz.png

I would get that day one. Make it happen MS and you have a sale!

DO WANT!

Karak

If the patch includes and improves the play as you go programming I could see a digital only version but damn those with caps will BE capped. Insane game size.

BibiMaghoo

Is there anything in the Verge report that was not already rumoured or expected?

We have the white console, that MS themselves said they may release down the line.
We have the disc-less console, something we heard about before the bone was revealed.
Not sure if we knew about a 1Tb HDD, but it's not really a shocker either.
Same with the update, of course they are going to patch things.
Is Sunset Overdrive launching this year news?

Not saying that this stuff is not exciting, just that we knew it already, some of it from a considerable time ago. The stuff we didn't is obvious in it's possibility.

Pop

i feel like though it'd get it out of their system for a bit if it didn't do well, so it may be worth the risk :p

But used games and sharing with friends. Even with a price of $400, it really isn't worth it to me. I much rather have a kinect-less Xbone.

I'm just catching up with the news from yesterday but these seem like some really boring leaks. Ah well, leaks and leaks and usually a fun time around here.

And dumping the disc drive rather than Kinect? I don't think that's what people want, MS...

I really like the white X1 controller. The system in white is just ok.

So true. I guess it's the contrast between the white surface and the black analog sticks, and the black IR cover on top that make it sexy. The same could've applied for the console had they made it hybrid, maybe white in the shiny area and black for the matte.

JaggedSac

Is there anything in the Verge report that was not already rumoured or expected?

We have the white console, that MS themselves said they may release down the line.
We have the disc-less console, something we heard about before the bone was revealed.

Not saying that this stuff is not exciting, just that we knew it already, some of it from a considerable time ago. The stuff we didn't is obvious in it's possibility.

Yep, for the most part it was just putting dates on things we already knew or suspected. FH2, Crackdown, Platinum game, the stuff you mentioned, etc. The Halo stuff was certainly cool to hear and, while we figured Halo 2 Anniversary would come, we had no idea about the ports.

What we did not hear about were new features that MS might be adding to the OS. Anything about a 3rd party app marketplace. Nothing about how the Bone fits into the Windows ecosystem changes coming up with Update 1 and then Threshold next year. Nothing about indie stuff. Nothing about Twitch. Nothing about what features and enhancements this update will bring. The leaks were pretty slim in details and while good to get confirmation on a bunch of things, I think the actual reveals will still provide them with hype. I, personally, am looking forward to seeing what Forza Horizon 2 looks like. Especially if they are doing some sort of cloud generated weather stuff. And if they are, I am suspecting it is weather that is calculated for all players at once and not on a player by player basis.

same here, I'm not really impressed by these confirmations. we all know consoles will be released in different colours and flavours (larger hdds, slim versions, adding and removing feats). we should have also learnt MS use to release two big updates, spring and fall, so they will fix lots of issues and they might include new features/options and-or re-organize the dashboard.

the news for me is SO release date, which seems to have been confirmed for this year, the same goes for QB apparently. many people didn't expect any of those titles to be released during this year. obviously the Halo leak is the most important, because it implies H5 being delayed and the release of Halo 2, 3 and 4 on XB1

Prine

Banned
TitanFall bundle is going to sell like hotcakes. MS are bringing it with the games god damn. Probably the most ferocious MS ive seen since i became a fan...feels good!

BibiMaghoo

Yep, for the most part it was just putting dates on things we already knew or suspected. FH2, Crackdown, Platinum game, the stuff you mentioned, etc. The Halo stuff was certainly cool to hear and, while we figured Halo 2 Anniversary would come, we had no idea about the ports.

What we did not hear about were new features that MS might be adding to the OS. Anything about a 3rd party app marketplace. Nothing about how the Bone fits into the Windows ecosystem changes coming up with Update 1 and then Threshold next year. Nothing about indie stuff. Nothing about Twitch. Nothing about what features and enhancements this update will bring. The leaks were pretty slim in details and while good to get confirmation on a bunch of things, I think the actual reveals will still provide them with hype. I, personally, am looking forward to seeing what Forza Horizon 2 looks like. Especially if they are doing some sort of cloud generated weather stuff. And if they are, I am suspecting it is weather that is calculated for all players at once and not on a player by player basis.

Many of the things you mention though are not confirmed by the Verge. For example, I see no mention of the Halo 3 + 4 ports, the Crackdown or Platinum games. Those have come from our new - thinks it's funny to throw out a mockup as an original without stating it is fake, even though he made it - 'leaker'. I would imagine the Verge would have mentioned this if their sources had also verified.

same here, I'm not really impressed by these confirmations. we all know consoles will be released in different colours and flavours (larger hdds, slim versions, adding and removing feats). we should have also learnt MS use to release two big updates, spring and fall, so they will fix lots of issues and they might include new features/options and-or re-organize the dashboard.

the news for me is SO release date, which seems to have been confirmed for this year, the same goes for QB apparently. many people didn't expect any of those titles to be released during this year. obviously the Halo leak is the most important, because it implies H5 being delayed and the release of Halo 2, 3 and 4 on XB1

I'm unclear on the situation with SO, but was under the impression is was always slated for this year. QB has not been confirmed by the Verge either.

I think overall, we need to be clear on this board as to what has come from where. There seems to be some confusion. This thread verifies specific details from our mockup friend, but not all, or even half of them, only the obvious and known. That sets off alarm bells for me.

Ty4on

Sorry, my thoughts was ahead of my typing. Telenor are finally setting up fiber in my area these days. So by late February/beginning of March I'll be "up to speed".

This is me now:

3269751589.png

I have that same crappy connection too :(

Moved from city less than one fifth the size, but with 25/25 fiber as the cheapest option for just 25% more than what I pay now. On the other side of the island was my friend with I think like 400 down.

McHuj

I'm down with a discless SKU. I hope the thing comes in a smaller form factor too.

The only disc based media I have left if kid's DVDs. I haven't bought a real movie in years and (so far) going only digital on the PS4, I can't imagine going back. I don't want to deal with the hassle of discs anymore.

Top Bottom