• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Xbox One update arriving in March, white console later this year

Caayn

No release date for the Netherlands? Come on! And a 1TB version? That's a nice fuck you to early adopters, who have no way to upgrade their hard drive. :/
Import One from Germany or the UK, works perfect.

A SKU with a 1TB was to be expected and yes I'm kinda sad that I won't be able to upgrade mine. At least I should be able to use my own external drives by the time the 1TB SKU launches.

October is a long way off. Assuming there are games you want to play before then, pick up a black one. But perhaps wait as lo as you can to see if a price cut comes or a titanfall bundle (in case you're looking forward to that)

I'm not that interested in Titanfall, to be honest. I could get the console in one month or so, or I could spend that money on some PS2 and Xbox 360 games. My backlog is huge as it is so it's not like I have to get an Xbox One as soon as possible, but I'd just like to join in on the fun early for once. I don't know, I'll give it one month and then I'll decide.

I would assume the April release in Tier 2 countries is due to Microsoft wanting as many Xbox One's available as possible for when Titanfall comes out in case it blows up big in UK, US and the rest of Tier 1.

Yeah I think so too. Although if they almost a million unsold consoles I don't see why they can't release in those countries sooner.

Sarobi

Banned
I find it funny that we have all this information on what Microsoft is doing with the Xbox One from supposedly this year to next year, but very little on what Sony is doing.

No news on the update freeing GPU reservations?

I was hoping they would ask. :)

Good news though. I really like the look of the white Xbox One.

hmmm...im not sure if a white PS4 is even righteous? Well it does come down to personal tastes but to me the Xbox One seems a much better fit for a White version than a PS4 does for some odd reason, to me.

I think the PS4 would look better in silver. :p

Jawmuncher

Since no one else is talking about it explain to me what a bluray less Xbox One would accomplish. I know it would save them money but that seems like a pretty big step to take after already throwing it into your console.

Since no one else is talking about it explain to me what a bluray less Xbox One would accomplish. I know it would save them money but that seems like a pretty big step to take after already throwing it into your console.

1.) Making retailers mad (pushing the other consoles as most of there many is made through software sales)
2.) DRM (no rentals and no used games) = Profit
3.) Microsoft makes more money through third party sales and don't have to pay retail fee for first party.

Profit reins supreme.

nib95

Banned

Probably their way of bringing people closer to their all digital online only DRM filled future lol. No but honestly I think it's a terrible idea. Worse than the PSP Go. It's not like these drives cost much manufacturing wise, and add to that it's not like file sizes for these games, updates and all the rest, are small.

OK guys, I'm pretty sure that $399 bluray less SKU was sarcasm. He meant it as a snarky comment.

I don't.

It's a way to eat cost while guaranteeing more profit from software sales and while keeping the Kinect marketing potential and differentiation intact.

Bgamer90

Banned
I disagree. I think the potential for a quick price reduction might be a stronger factor. And to be honest, I think there would be interest in this from a consumer standpoint. In truth, I've purchased all my next gen games digitally (ps4, XBO, Vita, PC, with the only exception being my WiiU stuff). I have a dedicated blu ray player with more features than the PS4 or the One, so I have, in fact, used my Kinect and playstation cameras more than the drives in each respective system (how's that for irony?) so a driveless sku would suit me just fine.

Same here. I rarely buy movies and all of my Xbox One games are digital so a driverless SKU that was cheaper would have been better for me too.

Heck one that was say, $50 more but came with 1 TB instead of 500 GB would have been much better for me.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't.

It's a way to eat cost while guaranteeing more profit from software sales and while keeping the Kinect marketing potential and differentiation intact.

Exactly. It would be smart in the sense that MS would know that people who get the SKU (if real) would have to rely on their ecosystem to purchase games/content.

nib95

Banned
I disagree. I think the potential for a quick price reduction, even a modest one, on the manufacturing scale of these machines, might have a greater impact than we realize and thus would be a stronger driving factor in this decision. And to be honest, I think there would be interest in this from a consumer standpoint. In truth, I've purchased all my next gen games digitally (ps4, XBO, Vita, PC, with the only exception being my WiiU stuff). I have a dedicated blu ray player with more features than the PS4 or the One. Come to think of it I have, in fact, used my Kinect and playstation cameras more than the Blu Ray drives in each respective system (how's that for irony?) so a driveless sku would suit me just fine.

The Blu-ray drive in terms of cost in BoM is probably around $25. I honestly don't see them being able to shave that much off the cost of the machine by dropping it.

On a side note, what sort of an internet connection do you have, and do you have any bandwidth caps?

Bgamer90

Banned
The Blu-ray drive in terms of cost in BoM is probably around $25. I honestly don't see them being able to shave that much off the cost of the machine by dropping it.

I agree but I think what he's saying though is that they would be able to make money (especially long term) via people having to rely more on their ecosystem due to the lack of a disc drive.

On a side note, what sort of an internet connection do you have, and do you have any bandwidth caps?

I'm on 85 Mbps with no caps.

Toki767

So with the disc-less Xbox One seeming like a reality, what kind of deal would Microsoft have to cut with brick and mortar stores to get them to carry this and not treat it like the PSP Go?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I would assume the April release in Tier 2 countries is due to Microsoft wanting as many Xbox One's available as possible for when Titanfall comes out in case it blows up big in UK, US and the rest of Tier 1.

haven't they already got plenty on the shelves?

My guess is they just wanted to see how the ground lay after Christmas and then started planning Tier 2 pretty much immediately. Takes a few months to get that prepared.

Surprised at Tier 3 being so far away - basically a year after launch.

LAA

Meh, the white X1 doesn't appeal to me at all really... The controller looks neat, but still prefer black.

Their main concern hardware wise should be slimming that console to me personally.

Wotanik

Banned
So with the disc-less Xbox One seeming like a reality, what kind of deal would Microsoft have to cut with brick and mortar stores to get them to carry this and not treat it like the PSP Go?

There's no such deals that any store can accept. This is just pissing on their feet. I feel bad for the game shops if this trend is here to stay. I at least like my retail console boxes and hate to pay for the illusion of owning something digital.

Amir0x

Banned
There's no such deals that any store can accept. This is just pissing on their feet. I feel bad for the game shops if this trend is here to stay. I at least like my retail console boxes and hate to pay for the illusion of owning something digital.

Fortunately it seems highly unlikely that model would be the dominant one, so it'll probably be a quaint idea made to try to drum up some level of added support. Even if I did want a discless system, there's no way I trust to buy a Microsoft system that had no way for discs - not after we got wind of all their original plans. No way I wouldn't feel potentially trapped by their confirmed ulterior motives on that whole all digital score/DRM stuff. Probably nothing would come of it, but as we can see there's no reason anyone should trust MS at this point (still deceiving the community as of last week), so I wouldn't take that risk. Still would wait for XBO with the disc drive to come down to $299.99. That's my jump in point I think. I hope the white model XBO is widely available then!

The leaks made me very happy though, tons of cool shit will be there when I jump in.

Doffen

I disagree. I think the potential for a quick price reduction, even a modest one, on the manufacturing scale of these machines, might have a greater impact than we realize and thus would be a stronger driving factor in this decision. And to be honest, I think there would be interest in this from a consumer standpoint. In truth, I've purchased all my next gen games digitally (ps4, XBO, Vita, PC, with the only exception being my WiiU stuff). I have a dedicated blu ray player with more features than the PS4 or the One. Come to think of it I have, in fact, used my Kinect and playstation cameras more than the Blu Ray drives in each respective system (how's that for irony?) so a driveless sku would suit me just fine.

I totally agree with this post. Had to buy Forza, Ryse and Dead 3 as retail due to impossible slow internet and awesome limited edition box art, but other than that I will go download only on Titanfall, Ground Zero, Rayman, Theif, etc.

Ehhhh, I think people will just get the 360 and PC version instead of waiting.

Wotanik

Banned
Ehhhh, I think people will just get the 360 and PC version instead of waiting.

This. PC version is still superior and if you like playing FPS games on consoles, you probably have a 360 already so there's no need for the jump. I still can't see Titanfall as a HUGE system seller.

Chobel

I totally agree with this post. Had to buy Forza, Ryse and Dead 3 as retail due to impossible slow internet and awesome limited edition box art, but other than that I will go download only on Titanfall, Ground Zero, Rayman, Theif, etc.

Sarcasm? You're contradicting yourself here.

satam55

Banned
OK guys, I'm pretty sure that $399 bluray less SKU was sarcasm. He meant it as a snarky comment.
This! I'm surprised no one called him out in that other thread, when we know the Blu-ray drives in the PS4/XB1 only cost like $20.

If the Blu-ray drives cost so little, there's no point of releasing diskless version.

I'm guessing.
But yeah, I guess there isn't much reason for the retails to carry disc less X1 even if it's one of the big players.

I'm sure they'd carry it it'd just go to the back of the store. In gaming most of the money (for retailers) is made in software sales. Why push a console that would generate less profits in the long run over the alternative? They are in it to make money.

U2NUMB

A bigger hard drive built in would be nice but I certainly hope this update has support for external HDD like they promised.

Toki767

This! I'm surprised no one called him out in that other thread, when we know the Blu-ray drives in the PS4/XB1 only cost like $20.

If the Blu-ray drives cost so little, there's no point of releasing diskless version.

Except Tom Warren claims to have heard news of a disc-less version before ntkrnl mentioned it.

Doffen

Sarcasm? You're contradicting yourself here.

Sorry, my thoughts was ahead of my typing. Telenor are finally setting up fiber in my area these days. So by late February/beginning of March I'll be "up to speed".

This is me now:

3269751589.png

Whats wrong with it? I don't own an Xbone but still would like to know.

Doesn't pass Dolby Digital and there forth the back speakers frequently don't work. When I put in Brave (blu-ray) and used it to quickly calibrate my Xbox One, I noticed the back speakers didn't work. They work for the OS though. :-/

Top Bottom