• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U in a worse or better shape after the PS4 reveal?

Antagon

About the same. Nintendo and Sony both do it's own thing. The reveals (even if Nintendo screwed it up) show it off quite obviously. Nintendo tends to focus on gameplay while Sony games are more presentation oriented. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's the main reason why people prefer the one or the other.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nintendo is in trouble and the writing is on the wall.

-inferior hardware
-little third party support
-gimmicky pad
-to pricey for what you get
-no big Nintendo IPs out yet
-the IPs that they do have are starting to get a little stale

This coming from someone who waited in line for the Wii U and currently has one at home that is collecting dust.
So, as an expert, you could say they shot themselves in the foot.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Basically the end of the WiiU's hopes and dreams of surviving even a year into the PS4 as a fellow "next-gen console". It'll get the multi-plats like Watch_Dogs, COD, and so on (but even then it aint getting Destiny and probably others with those sales), but once the jump is made to all in on PS4 and Durango? Finito.

8GB of GDDR5 RAM. I mean jesus christ, thats beyond even PC's now, lets not bring hardware like the WiiU even into the comparison equation.

pringles

I feel more interested in WiiU after the PS4 reveal. If Microsoft doesn't surprise, it seems obvious PS4/720 will just offer the exact same games we've been playing for years, only a little bit prettier.

Used to be the graphics upgrade was good enough to justify a console purchase, but those days are gone. I'll probably by a PS4/720 once the must-have games start coming out but that could be years away.

WiiU and games like Pikmin 3, new Mario/Zelda, hopefully Metroid/FZero etc. interest me much more, the gamepad also feels more next-gen than anything Sony showed.

tassletine

The WiiU is in the same shape after this presentation: The toilet.

Not because anything Sony showed, but because of the incredible display of incompetence, complacency and disorganized chaos that Nintendo offered so far.

If the WiiU goes the way of the Dodo, it's entirely on Nintendos cap.

Your definition of chaos is off Captain Hyperbole.

Moaradin

I don't think it's gonna make much difference. Nintendo has always been about their strong first party games. Once the new Smash Bros, Zelda, and Mario games get announced, It's not gonna matter much that the Wii U is weaker power wise. Millions of people are still gonna want to play those games.

Burai

shitonmychest57
And Killzone and infamous...oh wait

Just kidding, but seriously don't do this Dave, it can be said for all 3 of the companies. What sells right?

That was Dave's point. He was answering the charge that nobody but Nintendo were innovating or creative.

SmokyDave

I feel more interested in WiiU after the PS4 reveal. If Microsoft doesn't surprise, it seems obvious PS4/720 will just offer the exact same games we've been playing for years, only a little bit prettier.

Used to be the graphics upgrade was good enough to justify a console purchase, but those days are gone. I'll probably by a PS4/720 once the must-have games start coming out but that could be years away.

WiiU and games like Pikmin 3, new Mario/Zelda, hopefully Metroid/FZero etc. interest me much more, the gamepad also feels more next-gen than anything Sony showed.

This has to be satire.

That was Dave's point. He was answering the charge that nobody but Nintendo were innovating or creative.

Indeed. They all have innovative and creative titles, they all have safe iterations.

This has to be satire.

Indeed. They all have innovative and creative titles, they all have safe iterations.

The PS4 games shown look identical to countless games released during PS3 era. There are more new gameplay ideas present in NintendoLand than everything shown last night combined.

NickMitch

Far better.

Mostly since they have the social capabilities already, and more so when miiverse is avaliable on smartphones.

And Also The new game engines Will probably scale very well

Finally: Dat ps4 RAM might spend most of the time syncing online data and predownload stuff.

spock

I honestly think they are better off.

People keep bringing up the 8GB of ram...

Here's the thing, if the next xbox leads in sales more software is going to be built for it's specs, which from what we know are lower then the ps4. That means ports for wiiu will not be as big of a problem as some think.

What could and really might end up happening is that the 8GB does not get utilized the way it could because games are designed with the xbox in mind. This is assuming MS is the front runner next gen.

SmokyDave

The PS4 games shown look identical to countless games released during PS3 era. There are more new gameplay ideas present in NintendoLand than everything shown last night combined.
Spent much time with Knack and The Witness, have you?

Regardless, the idea that Nintendo are somehow immune to the 'same games as last gen but with prettier graphics' is absurd. It's just flat-out nonsense.

I also can't shake the feeling that anyone that thinks they can nail down 'last gen' to a few game types never went near XBLA or PSN.

I don't think the Wii U's failure or success has been impacted by the PS4 reveal. It's still definitely struggling right now, and the things Nintendo need to do to fix that haven't changed or become any more or less difficult.

If Sony had detailed a launch price at the same price of Wii U, then I think Nintendo would be on worse shape, but we got nothing on price and very little on launch window games. I think only Jonathan Blow's game was confirmed as launch window.

I love the capabilities of the PS4, and Alan Wake 2 this year on Microsoft's next Xbox aside, I'll be getting one before I get Microsoft's next piece of hardware... but nothing has changed for Nintendo.

Was The Witness even confirmed to be a PS4 exclusive? I missed that part and was under the assumption that Jon Blow worked on it ages ago before PS4 was even a thing.

it was pretty clearly revealed to be a timed exclusive. I was honestly expecting much more exclusivity announcements from the event last night, and was slightly surprised that The Witness was the only third party title to talk about such things.

before Vita's launch.
3DS was struggling, and confirmed "doomed", third parties abandoned the ship. useless gimmicks, poor graphics, not particularly developer friendly. Poor launch line up, huge 6 months games drought. It was expensive also.
Vita was leagues ahead in terms of graphics, developer friendly, it had a second stick. The launch line up was considered very solid, and all in all this console was a gamer's fantasy coming true.

There was no doubt that Sony would finally take the head in handheld against Nintendo.

And we arrive at today's situation.

I am not saying that it will happen again. I am saying that things must be put in perspective of the past, that fulfilling gamers'wishes don't give success for granted. Wii U is in bad mood and it will go on for a few months. It will damage its image furthermore.

But PS4 will be expensive. And Microsoft could prevail with a cheaper lower spec system.

z6Biw.gif

You’re on a roll with your stupidity at the moment....

spock

Regarding innovation, as others have said both companies innovate in their own ways. I think Sony's innovations are geared more toward core gamers. While nintendo has the potential to draw in a larger audience with its appraoch and price point.

Some might not like Nintendoes tablet controller, but to the average consumer if they see it up close side by side with the ps4, it's going to "appear" s more innovative and fresh. Sonys innovations & strong points are not something the average joe will grasp quickly by just looking and playing with the console for a few minutes.

Mondriaan

They have their own worries right now. PS4 doesn't suddenly make them look better or worse.

Pretty much this. The Wii U is suffering from Nintendo's poor marketing (i.e. messaging that makes it unclear that the Wii U is more than just an accessory for the Wii).

Infinite

The wiiu is in the same spot is was prior to the announcement. Getting some attractive titles on the console is the only thing they should be worried about

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Wii U will continue to exist as it does now with Nintendo forging their own path as usual. As with the Wii, their platform will not lead the way in terms of cutting edge software, but there will still be plenty of great games available.

spock

All these reactions are surprisingly similar to the PS Vita reveal not to long ago. Looks like Wii U is making a comeback.

This an interesting point and something I brought up in another thread right after the conference talking about target audience.

The vita was created and targeting the same audience...look how well that has gone for them. I'm getting the same vibe here in regards to matching the design/tech to a target audience. I really like the ideas that the ps4 make possible, but if it doesnt sell well enough those ideas aint going to happen...(vita style)

Hmm . I do think people shouldn't count out the WII U out. IF they drop the price to $250 it could be as much as half the price of the other 2 consoles. They also have the fact that you cannot get nintendos franchises on any other console.

As of right now. Nintendo has the second console thing going for them. Nintendos current wii u problems are not a hardware problem . Its more of a marketing /games problem.

Nintendo has a plus that nobody brings up because of the hardware and specs you can probably downport games for the system to say an ipad .

After Rayman goes crossplatform, I lost all interest in Wii U. For PS4 - will be day 1.
If Vita integration is not lagging, I don't see any reason that Nintendo can convince me to buy Wii U.

Loonz

I have a WiiU at home and also a PS3. I bought the PS3 at launch (yes, I paid 600€ for it :().

I watched yesterday's presentation hoping to be wowed. What I got it was 2 hours of people talking a lot and showing little. And then, what was showed was incredibly unexciting to me. I mean, you have this guy at the beginning talking about the power and the endless possibilities and creativity, and then they show a FPS, a racing game, a sequel of Infamous... boring. The only thing that seemed exciting to play was that Capcom game, no wonder that .gif it's being quoted endlessly (it might become Sony's X.gif).

Not a single of the demos showed promising new gameplay, everything was tried & secure. I hope this changes in the next E3, right now I don't feel compelled to buy this thing.

Not that the WiiU is any better. Nintendo is playing too safe with the console, barely showing any reason why anyone should care about it. They need some new fresh IPs with new ideas that are engaging, not only for the general public but also for those of us who've been gaming since the NES and are bored of the typical gameplay formulae of most games. I want new gameplay. At least Nintendo seem to have some games that look a bit exciting to me (not overwhelmingly so), like P101, and the ideas I've seen in Nintendo Land look promising.

I admit I'm biased towards Nintendo games, and that's the only reason I have a WiiU at home now. Judging the console by its own merits, it's shit at the moment. So in short: Sony's presentation did little for me and Nintendo mostly stays in the same place after it IMO. If that's good or not for the WiiU, only time will tell.

EDIT: I think Nintendo will play the card of the price. WiiU will always be cheaper, or it should if they pretend to sell them.

test_account

XP-39C²
I have a WiiU at home and also a PS3. I bought the PS3 at launch (yes, I paid 600€ for it :().

I watched yesterday's presentation hoping to be wowed. What I got it was 2 hours of people talking a lot and showing little. And then, what was showed was incredibly unexciting to me. I mean, you have this guy at the beginning talking about the power and the endless possibilities and creativity, and then they show a FPS, a racing game, a sequel of Infamous... boring. The only thing that seemed exciting to play was that Capcom game, no wonder that .gif it's being quoted endlessly (it might become Sony's X.gif).

Not a single of the demos showed promising new gameplay, everything was tried & secure. I hope this changes in the next E3, right now I don't feel compelled to buy this thing.

Not that the WiiU is any better. Nintendo is playing too safe with the console, barely showing any reason why anyone should care about it. They need some new fresh IPs with new ideas that are engaging, not only for the general public but also for those of us who've been gaming since the NES and are bored of the typical gameplay formulae of most games. I want new gameplay. At least Nintendo seem to have some games that look a bit exciting to me (not overwhelmingly so), like P101, and the ideas I've seen in Nintendo Land look promising.

I admit I'm biased towards Nintendo games, and that's the only reason I have a WiiU at home now. Judging the console by its own merits, it's shit at the moment. So in short: Sony's presentation did little for me and Nintendo mostly stays in the same place after it IMO. If that's good or not for the WiiU, only time will tell.

EDIT: I think Nintendo will play the card of the price. WiiU will always be cheaper, or it should if they pretend to sell them.
Out of curiousity, if stuff like The Witness and Nintendoland doesnt show new gameplay, what are you looking for when you want to see some new gameplay?

ozfunghi

I admit I'm biased towards Nintendo games, and that's the only reason I have a WiiU at home now. Judging the console by it's own merits, it's shit at the moment. So in short: Sony's presentation did little for me and Nintendo mostly stays in the same place after it IMO. If that's good or not for the WiiU, only time will tell.

For "next gen" games, budgets will increase even more. Expect few games that push graphics (in a tech sense), to stray from the tried and true. For many developers, it'll be one strike and they're out (of business). If you want new stuff, it'll come from games that don't need 300 people studio's, and as a result, could also be made for WiiU or PS360.

Not this time! ;)

PS4 is looking to be the one with the most gimmicks imo so far.

Necron

Graphics alone won't make the PS4 sell. Good software will. The showing of the PS4 didn't make it look any less worse or better. Of course the graphics will not match it. But that's not the point... interesting games are.

This rule will never be broken. That said though, they should hurry up with releasing them.

Yes, the Wii.

The Wii what? The Wii was an enormous success because it targeted a new audience. MS and Sony reacted late but still in time to increase sales of their consoles a great deal. Now Sony is going all out with the gimmicks from the start, MS probably as well so I think it will be a close fight to see who attracts more casual players.

KevinCow

Banned
Nintendo is in trouble and the writing is on the wall.

-inferior hardware
-little third party support
-gimmicky pad
-to pricey for what you get
-no big Nintendo IPs out yet
-the IPs that they do have are starting to get a little stale

This coming from someone who waited in line for the Wii and currently has one at home that is collecting dust.

It's funny how you can erase one letter, and this post suddenly looks like it came from 2006.

Nintendo is actually better off

Sony has revealed their system. Nintendo is no longer competing against people's imaginations and dreams of a PS4, and have an actual product to be compared against.

It's easier to compete against something tangible instead of "incredible product X that can do anything!"

gamefan

The Wii what? The Wii was an enormous success because it targeted a new audience. MS and Sony reacted late but still in time to increase sales of their consoles a great deal. Now Sony is going all out with the gimmicks from the start, MS probably as well so I think it will be a close fight to see who attracts more casual players.

The Wii was an enormous success because casuals caught on to the big gimmick. The casuals have moved on.

tipoo

Banned
I'm going to vote unknowable without the price. I was much more enthused by the PS4 than the Wii U, but pricing matters.

Nintendo is actually better off

Sony has revealed their system. Nintendo is no longer competing against people's imaginations and dreams of a PS4, and have an actual product to be compared against.

It's easier to compete against something tangible instead of "incredible product X that can do anything!"

Great point. It also seems that alot of peoples expectation were brough down to earth.

I think Nintendo is a good position to have great sales and games. They just have to push these games out and it seems that Nintendo has the best way to getting directly to their fans with Miiverse.

Porcile

Three different consoles each doing something different is a much more interesting prospect than three identical consoles. The PS4 hasn't done anything to change my opinion of the Wii U going forward. Neither will the new Xbox I suspect.

Top Bottom