• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 getting full combat rebalance mod with new animations and big changes

CDP reminds me of what Western game development was like in the late 90's and early 2000's. Long tail support, lots of free updates and SDKs being released into the ether and having the community make a go at it.

That sort of thing is one of the great losses of the last generation IMO.

Savitar

CDP reminds me of what Western game development was like in the late 90's and early 2000's. Long tail support, lots of free updates and SDKs being released into the ether and having the community make a go at it.

Agreed.

It's why I love and support them so much, especially in these times when it's virtually non existent.

Sentenza

What surprises me is that CDPR isn't the only company doing this.
There is another model and it's also very successful: Valve.

Valve released hundreds of patches, updates/DLCs etc over the years and they never charged for any of them. All free post-release support.
And they proved way before CDPR that is a good thing to do because every time you release new free content, sales of your games peak once again.
That's how they gathered all this good wil that a lot of people seem to think it's credited to them without good reason.

And yet for some reason most of the industry, EA ahead, keeps ignoring both these examples, milking without shame their customers and wondering how is it possible that the "fanbase" is angry with them and jaded about new announcements.

JeTmAn81

Reading the thread title I thought this would be about a fan mod. Very impressed that it's the original developer doing this.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so if I never got around to playing the Witcher 2, do you think I should wait for this to drop?

I like the current Witcher 2 combat, personally, but there are a lot of other people who really dislike it. It's probably worth waiting and then comparing the 2 systems at that point and choosing which one you like best. The change log suggests major major changes to the feel so it's hard to know how it will play.

Sentenza

so if I never got around to playing the Witcher 2, do you think I should wait for this to drop?
Hard to say without trying it first.

While there are good chances this is going to be the definitive version, I'm usually all for people trying vanilla version of a game before modding it in any way.

Riposte

I thought difficulty dropped too much for the second half the game. Doesn't seem like they addressed that sadly.

I freaking love these guys. So hyped for Witcher 3 (just bought The Witcher 2 on Steam btw, for... easy access and because wth, I wanted to give them more money).

Guess it's time to replay The Witcher 2.

Prelithe

Do you guys recommend waiting for this mod before playing W2 for the first time? I've played W1 once a while back for only a few minutes and didn't like it, so I'm essentially still new to the franchise.

FACE

Banned
Do you guys recommend waiting for this mod before playing W2 for the first time? I've played W1 once a while back for only a few minutes and didn't like it, so I'm essentially still new to the franchise.

The mod is not out yet, so we can't really judge its quality. But if it's good then play it the game without mods and, if you like it, install this mod and replay it.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

For the Witcher 1, I played the game with the mod the first time and it was a great experience. For Witcher 2, I played the game for some time (first chapter only) and thought the combat sucked. I would highly recommend you wait for the mod before playing since Flash, the creator of the mod, is the one who made the mod for the first game and he is now hired by CDPR based on that work. He knows his shit.

f0rk

Was considering jumping into this again as I didn't get too far when I first tried it, guess I'll wait a couple of days

TheExodu5

Banned

That's fantastic news.

I kind of stopped my Witcher 2 playthrough once I get to the Chapter 1 boss fight. The difficulty curve is just really bad in the game (and I started playing after Quen got mega-nerfed which made things much harder). Easy was stupidly easy, and normal was a frustrating roll-fest. I'm really looking forward to this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic! Looks like I'll be playing through TW2 yet again! Maybe I'll finally take on Dark mode.

I'd rather them focus on their new games

images

Top Bottom