• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 getting full combat rebalance mod with new animations and big changes

Goddamit, been waiting for it to launch all day, bought Witcher 2 Enhanced yesterday and installed it this morning in anticipation.

Can't even download the fricking thing.

Vasili2K38

I was expecting the typical mod installation, but you download an installation .exe basically like the official patchs. By the way, the mod needs 5GB of space..

I downloaded a third in about 10 seconds and now it's slowed down to 800 kb/s. I'm not going to touch the internet again until it's finished, I don't want to spook the server.

Site is getting hit hard, can't open the thread it was about or the main page at all :(

Also it's 1.5GB? looks like I won't be playing it tonight then

There any videos of what the new combat/animations look like?

I couldn't find any before (haven't checked again yet) but I will be putting up a video whenever I get it to try showoff some stuff I hope

Vasili2K38

Ok, fast first impressions.. don't mistake yourself, at least in the Arena the mod is kind of buggy. I suppose we'll have more releases polishing it. Anyway the combat is far more responsive, and the new pirouette animation is more coherent with the witchers fighter style (but I don't know, I'm going to read again the changelog, because sometimes I rolled like vanilla game and sometimes I would pirouettte). You automatically parry any frontal attacks if you're still, and the block button is basically a shortcut to use Quen. I don't know why sometimes I wouldn't use the Sign properly, I don't know if its a bug or whatever.

Also Ive taken a look to the talent overhaul, and the talents look more interesting, but I have to try the main game. In general I would say the combat is more fluid and fast, and immensely more coherent with the lore and the books. I'm very pleased if this is a glimpse for the combat system in The Witcher 3.

Minamu

Judging by how hostile to the game you sound, I would guess it will hardly make any difference.
This is probably more for those (like me) who thought TW2 was a good but flawed game, not for those who think it's garbage.
I wouldn't say hostile or garbage, really. I adored W1 when I finally got into it, third time's a charm there. This might be my fourth attempt with W2 and last time I got stuck in the first real village throwing bombs in holes I couldn't find :lol I had a rough time with the mechanics for sure, but it was also a too hectic time in school to let myself sink into the game world for so long. Same reason for not playing Skyrim yet even though I bought both on their releases.

Ok, fast first impressions.. don't mistake yourself, at least in the Arena the mod is kind of buggy. I suppose we'll have more releases polishing it. Anyway the combat is far more responsive, and the new pirouette animation is more coherent with the witchers fighter style (but I don't know, I'm going to read again the changelog, because sometimes I rolled like vanilla game and sometimes I would pirouettte). You automatically parry any frontal attacks if you're still, and the block button is basically a shortcut to use Quen. I don't know why sometimes I wouldn't use the Sign properly, I don't know if its a bug or whatever.

Also Ive taken a look to the talent overhaul, and the talents look more interesting, but I have to try the main game. In general I would say the combat is more fluid and fast, and immensely more coherent with the lore and the books. I'm very pleased if this is a glimpse for the combat system in The Witcher 3.

Awesome, thanks for the impressions

Damn now I'm getting 404 not found

If its possible can you make a mirror?

Finally downloading

I don't like downloading 1.5GB through Chrome though, would much prefer to download through something I could stop and start again

Vasili2K38

About uploading the file, I've never uploaded nothing in my life so big (of course I could look a tutorial etc..) but in the mod page as usual Flash is very clear that his mod only could be downloaded from a few sites (RedKit page, Nexus and another one..) so I'll respect that.

More impressions about the mod: ok, the mod is less buggy than I suspected, the thing is the game plays totally different :O . As I said, the combat is more responsive (the movement, Geralt attacks), a lot more fluid (the parrys don't slow the combat) and the fact you autoparry any attack in the front of Geralt (only where you're still or walking I think, and the strong attacks of course make damage) and you can strafe while walking makes the combat more agressive and more, how to say, more like "fencing" (sorry about my english). The signs are different, Aard and Igni are cones of effect (very good for enemy groups) and the new Quen use is very interesting, you keep the button pressed and you have the sign active (and I think no stamina is drained) but if you're attacked the shield activates (you lose 1 stamina unit), protects you and the enemy is stunned. The only thing I don't understand very well is that sometimes (in the changelog says that in "challenging encounters") the default combat stance for Geralt changes for the vanilla blocking one (sword crossed up down) and then you piruoutte instead of rolling, but for now is kind of random.

Erudite

Bah. I was hoping to have this downloaded before having to go to work. Hopefully some mirrors pop up by the time I get back.

The Hermit

I need to tackle my insane PC backlog, I have at least 6 games i stopped mid-gameplay( sleeping dogs, witcher 2, dark souls, deus ex, etc)

I guess I will return with this one, maybe I'll restart.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bah. I was hoping to have this downloaded before having to go to work. Hopefully some mirrors pop up by the time I get back.

Yeah, hopefully someone ignores the hosting demands outlined and puts the file up on a website that doesn't constantly shit itself.

(but I don't know, I'm going to read again the changelog, because sometimes I rolled like vanilla game and sometimes I would pirouettte)
It's this part of the change log. don't know what determines a challenging encounter though.
  • Added Focused Combat Stance. Geralt enters focused state during challenging encounters. It’s a visual eyecandy, so it happens automatically based on calculated combat threat level.
  • While in Focused Stance Geralt performs piruettes ( NEW ANIMATION ) instead of rolling and uses Guard Stance idle animation.

bioenglish

Neo Member
Anyone going to try playing the mod with their current save file? I am about 2 hours in and wondering if I should just jump in or just start over.

f0rk

Do I need to download some sort of mod manager to use this? I installed the downloaded executable and it had some 'enable in user content control' option but I got an error saying it couldn't find it. Tried to run the game now but I need to patch/reinstall

Top Bottom