• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: THE ASSASSINS OF KINGS debut trailer + screens + O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Shake Appeal said:
Shorter, with simpler combat and "AI" companions, for consoles.

Hmmm.

Well, at least save importation gives me an excuse to replay the original nearer the time.

Yup, consoles can't handle that extremely complex combat from the first witcher, and they can't handle controlling other characters. Also, we all know that consoles can't handle long games.

:lol

Maybe it's a conscious design choice?

Talon

Holy. The trailer looks awesome.

I think I'll build myself a new PC for this (and StarCraft II/Diablo III) within the next year.

Woohoo can't wait for this. Glad I always keep my saves from past games, knew it would come in handy one day! Also, am I reading too much into this screenshot, or does it look like there are no more transitions between outdoors and indoors now?

975399_20100323_screen005.jpg

Durante

Since we have someone from CD Projekt reading this I'd just like to mention that I (and probably a few hundred or maybe thousand other fans) would really appreciate if you could make sure the game works with 3D Vision. No need to be "3D vision ready" certified, just no game-breaking problems.

EvolveTom said:
Correct, load times into buildings are gone.

Yes! Thanks :D

Gah, I'm itching to play this now! The Witcher was one of my favourite games of the last 10 years. Can't wait to immerse myself in that world once again.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
As someone who may give the original a shot this weekend, ok maybe next since the F1 is in town. Is there anything in particular i should know before starting it up?

I think TW2 looks fucking outstanding so i figured i should get off my ass and play the original. I did the same with ME and enjoyed the shit out of it.

evlcookie said:
As someone who may give the original a shot this weekend, ok maybe next since the F1 is in town. Is there anything in particular i should know before starting it up?

I think TW2 looks fucking outstanding so i figured i should get off my ass and play the original. I did the same with ME and enjoyed the shit out of it.
Power through Ch. 2 (or maybe its 3? Whichever one has all those fetch-side quests and minimal story), it does get better after that. I stopped a few times because it was so boring.
It also has an awesome trading card system ;)

Sloegr

evlcookie said:

I'd recommend playing on the highest difficulty if you're comfortable with WRPGs. This way, you're more reliant on your alchemy. Doing so made the game quite a bit more fun for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The devs earned my eternal loyalty with how they handled the souped up version of The Witcher. Being a fantastic game helps too.

Fredescu

evlcookie said:
Is there anything in particular i should know before starting it up?
Put a point in the Aard spell ability to make it stun. Makes the boss at the end of Act I a bit less crazy.

Don't sweat the side quests too much. For me, the best way to approach the "collect x number of y" noticeboard quests was to pick them all up when you first see them, and then forget about them altogether. If you finish them in the course of doing the main quests, cool. If not, no big deal.

And yeah, as hw said, have a bit of patience with it until the end of Act II. That's where it takes off.

Cep

Banned
I suggest downloading the realism mod and playing on medium difficulty.

I did that during my first playthrough and it was an amazing experience. Makes me wonder why some complained of the game being hard, because after a while, I wanted to crank the difficulty up, but you are not given that option.

Cep said:
I suggest downloading the realism mod and playing on medium difficulty.

I did that during my first playthrough and it was an amazing experience. Makes me wonder why some complained of the game being hard, because after a while, I wanted to crank the difficulty up, but you are not given that option.
Are you thinking of Stalker? :lol I'm not aware of a 'realism' mod for TW?
http://www.moddb.com/games/the-witcher/mods
I recommend the Texture mod, I haven't tried the Character model one yet, but I think I will soon.

Desaparecido said:
People keep saying the game doesn't take off right away, but I still enjoyed the first two acts.
Yep, and especially Act II. Was that when the "Vizima Confidential" quest got underway? I loved all the detective stuff.

- Story begins two months after W1. Geralt is asked by Foltest to travel across the country with him and restore order
- The trailer with Bad Guy bringing head to elve’s cave is taking place before game starts
- Vernon Roche (guy who is Geralt’s companion) is Foltest’s guy. He is also in charge of fighting non-humans unit
- In W2 you can join different sword-strikes, magic, finishers, blocks and dodges into one string
- In the forest you have to look after yourself. There is no level-scaling so entering dangerous places at the beginning could be suicidal idea
- No horses
- Those goblin-like monsters are called “nekkers” (in Polish, I also written as I heard it, so it could turn out to be written differently)
- Those fractions mentioned before – there would be different fractions at different locations.
- You could cut off limbs
- About TPP camera – there will be many camera modes, adjusting to current situation (in combat, indoor, walking etc)
- About decisions to be made in short time while in dialogue – it would appear in dialogue when situation needs quick reactions. It won’t occur in every dialogue. Reds are inspired by Heavy Rain in this one
- They want to every one new ability give us something new – a signs, a strike etc. There won’t be “+10 to stamina” stuff
- Geralt’s development (while in game) is more complicated than in W1
- RotWW is frozen, CDP would like to return to this project, as they believe it could achieve success, but definitely not this year.
- Animation system is just-started to be worked on, so is mimics

very good

- In the forest you have to look after yourself. There is no level-scaling so entering dangerous places at the beginning could be suicidal idea
Oh god how I've missed this feature in games.

- They want to every one new ability give us something new – a signs, a strike etc. There won’t be “+10 to stamina” stuff
Awesome. CDP really seem to know what they are doing with this one. I approve of all changes so far. Too bad we won't see it for ages yet :(

Fredescu said:
Don't sweat the side quests too much. For me, the best way to approach the "collect x number of y" noticeboard quests was to pick them all up when you first see them, and then forget about them altogether. If you finish them in the course of doing the main quests, cool. If not, no big deal.

I would second this. The game isn't particularly difficult so missing out on a little gold and XP isn't worth running around the swamps for an hour looking for 5 drowner tongues or whatever.

Like most have said already, Act I is slow, Act II is better, but it really takes off after that.

I know for me I had an issue playing it on Win 7 64bit because of the antiquated anti-piracy software it used. It required an update before I could get it to work. Tages I think it was called? I had the same problem and that fixed it.

Twig

Banned
Hmm that no-level-scaling thing makes it sound like the game will have a much more open world.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I like open worlds but I also liked the structure of the first game.

Here's hoping that, regardless, there's at least some sort of fast travel. D:

I should be doing hw said:
I know for me I had an issue playing it on Win 7 64bit because of the antiquated anti-piracy software it used. It required an update before I could get it to work. Tages I think it was called? I had the same problem and that fixed it.
the impulse version is 1.5 already

mm04

Damn that trailer was pretty awesome. I never played the first one, but seeing that it's $9.99 on Impulse, I figured why not. So I guess I joined the ranks :D

tokkun

What is a realistic estimate for when this game is coming out? I know from waiting for EE that CDProjekt are perfectionists.

Winter 2011?

Sober

Salaadin said:
No level scaling is awesome.
I thought that was in the first game ... or was it just that certain enemies stopped scaling at a certain point? I totally remembering mowing down droves of Drowners with one hit, all they'd give me is 1 XP though :lol

Salacious Crumb

Shake Appeal said:
Yep, and especially Act II. Was that when the "Vizima Confidential" quest got underway? I loved all the detective stuff.

That was one of my favorite quests in the game. You could dig into that case as much or little as you liked, and if you did put in the extra effort the result was rather surprising.

Spoo

Hey guys, I'm sorry but I haven't been able to pay too much attention to this thread, but:

1) Is this game on xbox 360 and
2) is it confirmed to be unchanged from it's PC ver.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Spoo said:
Hey guys, I'm sorry but I haven't been able to pay too much attention to this thread, but:

1) Is this game on xbox 360 and
2) is it confirmed to be unchanged from it's PC ver.

PC only, you can buy it cheap on half.com

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
It's sad that "No level-scaling" is a feature in games these days. :lol The whole point of leveling up is to get stronger. What's the point if the enemies get stronger with you?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
cornontheCoD said:
It's sad that "No level-scaling" is a feature in games these days. :lol The whole point of leveling up is to get stronger. What's the point if the enemies get stronger with you?

I blame Oblivion.

Fredescu

If level scaling, and level progression in general, wasn't done so poorly in Oblivion, no one would give a shit and it wouldn't even be a bullet point. Level scaling isn't a bad thing in and of itself.

Twig

Banned
Fredescu said:
If level scaling, and level progression in general, wasn't done so poorly in Oblivion, no one would give a shit and it wouldn't even be a bullet point. Level scaling isn't a bad thing in and of itself.
This.

It's entirely possible to have level scaling and still feel significantly stronger.

You don't, after all, start out with every single of of your skills available from the get-go. Unless you guys are playing different games from what I'm playing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fredescu said:

No, level scaling has never, ever worked in open world games and RPGs. It's a roundly terrible idea.

Salaadin

GreenNight said:
Dragon Age had some level scaling and I didn't mind it at all. Still felt like a total badass towards the end.

Dragon Age isnt the best example. You cant revisit older areas and enemies in DA and see how your skills have improved. Youre always progressing through the main story and one would expect the enemies to stay strong as the main story goes on for the sake of the games own difficulty.

Its when you enter Random Cave A at level 10 and the enemies put up a fight so you go out and gain 20 levels, new skills, and armor and then come back to the same Random Cave A only to find out that the enemies still put up a fight. Its annoying because you never get that sense of being stronger. You might look stronger and your lightning bolt spell might be louder and bigger but in the grand scheme of things, it doesnt mean much if the enemies are also souped up versions of their former selves.

I like it best when its like an MMO where there are just some areas and enemies that you shouldnt be fighting at level 10 or youre going to get your ass beat. At the same time, there are enemies that you can just plow through without taking a scratch.

It sounds like The Witcher 2 is going to have that threat of being able to be killed by something much stronger than you at any time. I like that idea and hope they implement it in a way that makes it enjoyable to get your ass kicked.

Eliciel

Since I haven't played the first one and I won't play it 'cause I'll stick to my Ps3 (have no money left for a pc) can anyone tell me how the combat is designed out in this game?

Is it comparable to Demon's Souls? Or is it comparable to Gothic? Or am I completely wrong:lol

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom