• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: THE ASSASSINS OF KINGS debut trailer + screens + O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Looks amazing, wonder if you're going to be able to import your Witcher save (hopefully if they do it's handled better than Mass Effect 2).

EvolveTom said:
Some quick responses (not nearly enough coffee to really be thinking yet):

- The character models you see are not final -- they very well may change before release, but might also not.

- Redhead in the trailer/video is Triss, not Shani.

- It's a new engine built specifically for this game... no load times going into small buildings and such, as was much-maligned in the original.

- It's the same actor for Geralt.

- There are more item options, not just the three armor types.

Glad you guys like it! Still a lot more info, video, etc. to come.
Awesome that Triss is back. Also, love to see developers having a presence on Gaf.

Acosta

Sinatar said:
Hidden message in the trailer.

Fucking awesome .

I bought the great Collector's Edition and you can be damn sure I will repeat with the second (but guys, this time give us the same Collector's Edition you release in Poland, ok? ;))

Salaadin

EvolveTom said:

- The character models you see are not final -- they very well may change before release, but might also not.

- It's a new engine built specifically for this game... no load times going into small buildings and such, as was much-maligned in the original.

Great, thanks for the responses.

Triss didnt like me much in the first game after I
had Shani watch over Alvin instead of her. Then again, I finished the game by shunning Shani and going off on my own Witcher ways as well.
Will these choices have any effect on the story in the sequel?

epmode

<3 Triss <3
(even though I didn't hang around with her for long)

I'd agree with the complaints about Geralt's face. I liked the kinda-creepy emaciated look. Sets witchers apart from everyone else.

Acosta

Seeing the images now...

HOLYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIT. Waiting for this one it´s going to be hard.

About Geralt, I like the model, I just wish the tone of the skin was more palid, he looks too human.

Darklord

Banned
Cool, they are bring back the old characters. Dandelion, Triss and the Dwarf(forget his name). I hope you can pick what decision you made at the end of the first game. Even if it's just a question at the start of the game.

Dyno

If those screens are to be believed they really upgraded their tech. Are they still using Aurora or have they moved on to something of their own design entirely?

EDIT: This question was juuuuuust answered along with all that nice looking art!

Draft

Witcher has such great art. I've grown real tired of "Tolkien" fantasy but some decent art and world building can make even a tired template like that fresh.

It's also great that the same voice actor is back. He did a great job as Geralt.

Salaadin

Draft said:
It's also great that the same voice actor is back. He did a great job as Geralt.

I agree. I always loved the way he says "Witcher" for some reason. I was glad to hear that in the trailer.

Minsc

Gold Member
Van Owen said:
Definitely looks like I will have to do some upgrading before this comes out.

This might be one of those cases where the game not only looks better, but needs less hardware to achieve the same performance. I expect this new engine will perform much, much better, while also looking better as well!

The first Witcher was horribly optimized for ATI cards (to the point where I'd question if anyone at CD Projekt even had a machine w/ an ATI card), you practically needed a 4870 X2 (or more) to run it at 60fps, and even then there were plenty of graphical issues.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Minsc said:
This might be one of those cases where the game not only looks better, but needs less hardware to achieve the same performance. I expect this new engine will perform much, much better, while also looking better as well!

The first Witcher was horribly optimized for ATI cards (to the point where I'd question if anyone at CD Projekt even had a machine w/ an ATI card), you practically needed a 4870 X2 (or more) to run it at 60fps, and even then there were plenty of graphical issues.

I really hope so, Mass Effect 2 did this, the sequel performed allot better on the same hardware than Mass Effect.

Johann

EvolveTom said:

I loved the first game but it's great that you've taken notice of some the bigger issues with the game. My friends and I are really looking forward to the game.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Doomslayer said:
First time I've gone from knowing nothing about a game to 100% "jizzing in my pants" hyped in the span of a single trailer.

It was already gonna be a day 1 purchase after finishing the first game 6 months ago, which is now my Favorite traditional RPG in at least a decade (never played BG2 or Torment), but now the wait will be unbearable.

With The Witcher, GOG.com, and that little hidden message in the trailer, CD Projekt sits right next to Valve as one of my two favorite developers.

What hidden message?

Between the screens, the art, the trailer message, etc. this has pretty much catapulted right into my top five most wanted.

Have to get a new PC, though, as I wasn't entirely happy with how the first game ran, and I want it to look as good as that trailer.

Akia

God this looks so freaking good.

I love how sequels done right in this industry are usually so much better than the original. It's just easier to replicate success in the games biz it seems. Unlike in movies, where you have like Matrix 1 and its sequels. You'd figure that the Matrix sequels, given a bigger budget and more time would be better movies. Nope. But in games, its a whole different story or at least it seems that way. As long as the dev isn't stupid, sequels tend to be so much better than the original (Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Assassin's Creed 2).

The Witcher 2 and StarCraft 2 so far are tracking like they're going to blow the originals out of the water.

Tonza

I'll probably have to buy atleast a new gfx card (I have a GTS250 now) for this but the game is day 1 for sure.

You know, once these guys are done with the witcher games workshop should give these guys the warhammer license, they've already got the medieval-cum-renaissance style of art down.

Akia

Another thought: This series must be good if the sequel can be subtitled "Assassins of Kings" and have nobody here bitch about it :lol

most other games would've had a couple pages of people mocking the name

Twig

Banned
Fuck yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Just finished The Witcher earlier this month. One of the best games I've played, despite the engine flaws. The hour I finished it, I also dived into the internet looking for stuff on the sequel (as I knew one was announced) and found out more info would be coming later this month. Great timing. O:

SO PUMPED.

Tacitus_

dionysus said:
The assassin of king's looks like he has yellow eyes. Rogue witcher?

Mutation and training makes witchers excellent killers. The problem is their conscience, which prevents them from carrying out political assassinations or causing terror among common folk.
The laws of the market say that if there's demand, it must be satisfied as soon as possible – which is why Salamandra created the mutant assassin.

Propably finished product of the mutant assasins, they "performed" similar to witchers, but didn't look human.

Salaadin

timetokill said:
Damn this looks good!!

Glad to see Triss back again. My girlfriend preferred Shani though... will she be around as well? :lol

Im hoping we see Shani again. I preferred her to Triss.

Im so glad to see Dandelion is back. I loved him.
That "mission" where the bunch of you get drunk together and steal the grandmas diary was hilarious.

JudgeN

EvolveTom said:

Sweet, the game needs more LOOT, actually it needs alot of loot :D

Can't wait to see some combat video's, The first game combat seemed a little on the simple side.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
one thing I didn't like about the trailer - low-res shadows on the face of the assassin when he's toying with his spoon sitting near a campfire. I hope they'll fix that by release.

Alcander

Some of those screens remind me a lot of Risen, to be honest -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I thought Risen looks pretty gorgeous at times.

Really pumped though, loved the first game.

PS...give us more than like 3 armor sets!! >=(

Press Release:

March 24, 2010 - Warsaw, Poland. Today, CD Projekt RED officially announced The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, the sequel to the award-winning The Witcher, which has sold more than 1.5 million copies worldwide on PC alone.

The second entry in the Witcher saga is characterized by an incredibly gripping, mature and challenging non-linear plot. In addition, the new combat system is even smoother and guarantees a greater variety of tactical possibilities.

The game is built upon completely new technology, designed from scratch by CD Projekt RED to develop role-playing games with non-linear plot. The new technology also delivers beautiful visuals, transporting players to one of the most vivid RPG universes ever.

“I am really glad that we can officially present what we’ve been working on for the past two-and-a-half years.” - said Adam Kici&#324;ski, CEO of CD Projekt RED studio. “We learned a lot during The Witcher’s development process, and we are using all of that knowledge to ensure the sequel is one of the best RPGs people have ever played. We’ve concentrated on improving the most successful parts of the Witcher, and I strongly believe that The Witcher 2 will be loved both by fans of the original and newcomers. We know that we aimed very high while producing The WItcher 1. Now we are aiming even higher with The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.”

The company also announced distribution agreements for various territories, Atari Inc. (North America), 1C-SoftClub/Snowball Studios (Russia) and CD Projekt (Poland and Central Europe); negotiations for Western European distribution are in progress. Moreover, CD Projekt RED signed a contract with Agora S.A., which makes Agora the co-producer of the game in Poland. Thanks to this contract, CD Projekt RED will receive financial and promotional support, and the know-how of one of Poland’s biggest media corporations.

Tomorrow the game will be presented publicly for the first time, during the CD Projekt Spring 2010 conference. The event will be transmitted on www.cdprojekt.pl/konferencje. Additionally, new video materials related to The Witcher 2 will be posted at TheWitcher.com , and on April 7th the brand new official website will be launched.

You can follow The Witcher on Twitter (@WitcherGame) and on Facebook.com/The-Witcher.

Acosta

Salaadin said:
If Natalie Portman had a womanly figure, red hair, and breasts then yeah, thats her :D

Welcome to Poland.

I can grant you Polish developers don't need to look for american actress for inspirations, they just need to look outside the window of their offices.

PS...give us more than like 3 armor sets!! >=(

Mentioned already, they are going to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom