• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt - E3 2014 Trailer - The Sword Of Destiny

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't even know what my life's gonna be in 9 months but all signs points to be focusing on other stuff as to have time or money to upgrade, but yeah, gonna wait well into 8xx for sure

worst case scenario im sure the game could look great and playable with 2 gigs of vram, let's not exagerate in terms of what's good enough for each individual

Well, the "issue" with the game is that it looks better than TW2 while being open-world, so I wouldn't be surprised if 2GB card holders (like us, although I intend to move up to 870s if they're out in time for AssCreed Unity) have to mix and match medium and high settings to get the game down under the 2GB ceiling.

JaseC

THat was epic. I never played the witcher games should I play 1 and 2?

Definitely. The original game is something of an acquired taste due to how it plays, but overall I prefer it to the sequel. Here are some mods that folks recommended for TW1 in a recent LTTP thread:

There's not much you need to know. But there are two mods I highly reccomend. The Texturen Mod and the Hi-Res Characters Models pack.
Personally I'd recommed the full combat rebalance mod. It makes it so that you are rewarded for using the correct style/buffs against certain monster types (which you can learn about somewhere in the game i believe).

Other than that early on sometimes you'll need to run instead of fight or wait until daytime to go out questing because things can get nasty at night. Also read information about the monsters as you'll learn how to best deal with them. I remember an early cave/dungeon I went into having these super tough beasts inside that just slaughtered me until i figured out the correct buff to put on my sword to deal with them.

Also if you ever get completely stuck, as in a quest requires an item and the game has glitched you in some way don't be afraid to use the witcher save editor to just drop that item into your inventory. I remember it happened to me at one point.
The "Stuff That Makes Geralt's Life Easier" mod is essential in my book.

http://www.mediafire.com/?l7qs4flm2grmdqb

The storage system is a pain since you must always return to a bar/inn, and the mod lets you carry/store items on the fly. Additionally, you can meditate anywhere to level up instead of having to track down a fire. Finally, you can use cateye (see in the dark) anytime because a Witcher already has that ability. They shouldn't have to use a potion for it.

Instructions are in the txt file. Have a great time playing this amazing game. : )
Mods to install:
Texturen Mod
High Res Character Models (can't remember if this was the name exacty, but it's linked before in this thread already)
Rise of the White Wolf (this hasn't been said before in the thread, adds quite a lot of stuff to the game) [Note: Not highlighted because I'm recommending it myself, but rather just to make it stand out among the other suggestions listed]
Full Combat Rebalance Mod (changes combat to a slightly better and more fit to the books I think)

All of these mods are compatible with each other. I think Rise of the White Wolf tells the installation order too.

Sure it's easy when Aard stuns, but it doesn't stun it nearly always. The first time I killed The Beast I stunned it the first time and one shotted it. But then I went back to a slightly earlier save to check something, and had to fight the beast for like 6 times before managing it.

TheD

The Detective
I think directly comparing something like the 2500K to the Jaguar and declaring it's going to be fine for the entire upcoming console generation is a little naive, but time will tell.

Of course there are going to be games that favour CPUs with more cores. When I said the 2500K "[isn't] going to be sufficient forever" I wasn't referring to its ability to run a game at all but rather it's viability in enthusiast/gaming systems going forward (i.e. at some point it's going to be the weaker link). In hindsight I should have been clearer on that.

As I said, unless 6 and 8 core Intel CPUs become common (You can not require hardware that no body has) and Devs force settings that only they can handle, Quad cores are going to be fine for a long time.

A quad core not being able to max a game out does not mean it is not fine.

JaseC

As I said, unless 6 and 8 core Intel CPUs become common (You can not require hardware that no body has) and Devs force settings that only they can handle, Quad cores are going to be fine for a long time.

I clarified as much in the very post you quoted.

JaseC

So are they (CD Projekt RED) going to show up at today's Microsoft conference ?

I doubt it. As best we know, the trailer's already been released (obviously ;)) and the game itself is otherwise being shown off behind closed doors.

zonezeus

Do we even know if they're going to show anything at all, except the live demo presentation behind closed doors?

Edit: Beaten like Northern Kingdoms

Kinthalis

Banned

Thing is, things ar eonly going to get better for PC CPU's over time thanks to new, modern API's like Mantle and DX12 and OpenGL + extensions.

RIght now, a lot of CPU time is eaten up by overhead from the rendering systems. That will go away, leaving behind 4 to 6 cores that are significantly more powerful than what is available on consoles.

If you have to break up a complex set of instructions into 4 millisecond chunks on consoles (ignoring overhead and parallelization/synchronization issues) in 4 milliseconds, on a PS4 you would have solved 6 such intructions.

On a PC, where each of those chunks takes 2 milliseconds, in 4 milliseconds you've solved 8, possibly even more.

I suspect that in the future, the CPU is where PC's will differentiate themselves most from consoles. Last gen it was all about the GPU, as PC GPU's featured more and more advanced GPU based effects. This gen GPU's will coninue to be mroe powerful, push more pixels, etc, but it'll be in CPU intesive tasks that PC will dominate and offer stuff that consoles won't offer until yet another generation reset.

Respawn

Banned
This was just posted in the MS conf thread
https://twitter.com/NerdBurglars/status/476058074571366401/photo/1

That's the Igni sign (the fire spell) from Witcher, not a Playstation button:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Sign

That gameplay they showed at the MS conference looked hooooot

Wrong. That's one of the Witcher's signs (aard?).

yup updated
That is one of the elemental symbols... not anythign with PS4
Thx fellas

Looks like it was actually being played on an Xbox One too, rather than a PC. You can tell because there are no fur physics on the Griffon, which is a PC only feature. This means that the final product will look much better on PC!

Whats the hype for this game? Gamplay looks like monster hunter with spells.

Looks nice though

Hype is huge after such a great game that was The Witcher 2. It is nothing like Monster Hunter, a Witchers job does involve killing monsters and getting paid (why he took the head with him) but it plays nothing like Monster Hunter and the focus is not on hunting monsters (or your typical monsters).

Exuro

I just hope they're still working on the running animations as it looked pretty off when he was going up and down the hills.

trixx

That was a sidequest

It's an rpg. With a plot and shit

Oh okay, because the trailer didn't sell me and this game makes a lot of noise. Monster Hunter is great but i kind of expected more gameplay wise.

Good to hear that it's not just instamce based hunting.

Raptor

That damn gore, did you people saw that GORE?

Fuck man, beheadings, blood spurring out of heads, half a body choped off and with those sounds, JESUS FUCK!!

This game is so bought, so BOUGHT!!

Denton

Oh okay, because the trailer didn't sell me and this game makes a lot of noise. Monster Hunter is great but i kind of expected more gameplay wise.

The Witcher 2 is best written game this side of Torment.
The Witcher 3 is climactic finale of the saga that spans 1986-2015.

Do not insult it.

I just hope they're still working on the running animations as it looked pretty off when he was going up and down the hills.

9 months away, they are still pretty much working on everything.

Not at all instance based, it's an open world with a lot of choice and consequences.

People enjoy the series because of the rich story elements, lots of choice consequence type stuff (they can be especially ambiguous in this series). That was actually the first gameplay reveal, people are hyped to just see it in motion at this point.

As a huge fan of the books and the games, it pains me to say this, but the gameplay demo they showed during the conference was bad. Combat looked very awkward. I'm really hoping they show some better footage soon because that did not inspire confidence.

patapuf

There's a trailer in the OP if you want to peek at the story related stuff.

Goldenhen

As a huge fan of the books and the games, it pains me to say this, but the gameplay demo they showed during the conference was bad. Combat looked very awkward. I'm really hoping they show some better footage soon because that did not inspire confidence.
There is a reason why they delayed because they need more time polishing the game.

void666

Banned
Though i enjoy Geralt and his story. It's HIS story. You know the character and wich choices he would make. Specially if you read the books.

For a witcher 4 i'd love to have the option to create my own witcher. Man or woman and his/her witcher school. Maybe call it "Witchers" instead of witcher 4.

Top Bottom