• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt - E3 2014 Trailer - The Sword Of Destiny

Oh okay, because the trailer didn't sell me and this game makes a lot of noise. Monster Hunter is great but i kind of expected more gameplay wise.

Good to hear that it's not just instamce based hunting.

Probably if they show the more "meaty" quest it would be too long to show on stage. So, they chose a much simpler monster hunting quest, just enough to showcase the battle system. That's my guess.

Now, if only they show the 45 minutes closed-door gameplay to public...

I really enjoyed the combat in Witcher 2. With a lot of preparation, the actual combat didn't even last very long. So any improvement over that is just a bonus for me.

I wouldn't even care if the Witcher 3 was being made in the Witcher 2 engine.

phaze

Combat looks improved. Think I saw strafing for a bit so that's one of biggest W2 faults put to ground. Movement still looks a bit iffy but nothing I couldn't handle even were they to ship the game in that state.
Graphics looked really good, I was still half expecting a downgrade so this allayed my fears. Good stuff. The vistas we got to see were amazing.

Other than the unfinished (at least I hope it is!) running animation, the game looked fantastic!

I'm officially hyped and am glad I preorder the $150 Ludicrous Edition

Dresden

I really enjoyed the combat in Witcher 2. With a lot of preparation, the actual combat didn't even last very long.

Signs or Alchemy builds all day.

Looked like an improvement, at least. Rolling replaced with nearly equidistant side/backsteps, so at least it doesn't look as awkward.

To me, the most interesting aspect of Microsoft's Witcher 3 trailer was the griffin's blood trails. Hints at a dynamic gameplay that could be very interesting.

Imagine being a real witcher, spending days tracking and hunting your target, performing real investigations to figure out where they are hidden, and then using your witcher skills to prepare for battle and take them down effortlessly.

It makes me think a lot of the Witcher 1's CGI trailer where Geralt faces off against the Striga. If the Witcher 3 pulls this sort of encounter off, it will be a truly remarkable game.

RedSwirl

Probably if they show the more "meaty" quest it would be too long to show on stage. So, they chose a much simpler monster hunting quest, just enough to showcase the battle system. That's my guess.

Now, if only they show the 45 minutes closed-door gameplay to public...

That's what I was thinking too. That's pretty much the only thing they could effectively show in a 10-minute demo: the end of a hunt with a small random event in the middle.

trixx

There's a trailer in the OP if you want to peek at the story related stuff.

Ckecked it out, intrigued. I probably should have seen that trailer as it definitely puts things into perspective.

From what people are saying about the witcher 2, i should probably play that game first

Saw a comment in the MS thread saying that this was a Western Monter Hunter clone, mindblowing stuff.

Combat seems to build upon TW2, already seems more fluid. The griffon looked great.

To me, the most interesting aspect of Microsoft's Witcher 3 trailer was the griffin's blood trails. Hints at a dynamic gameplay that could be very interesting.

Imagine being a real witcher, spending days tracking and hunting your target, performing real investigations to figure out where they are hidden, and then using your witcher skills to prepare for battle and take them down effortlessly.

It makes me think a lot of the Witcher 1's CGI trailer where Geralt faces off against the Striga. If the Witcher 3 pulls this sort of encounter off, it will be a truly remarkable game.

Hopefully this aspect will be taken to the next level. Previous games already require you to find and read books about your prey and the combat mods dial up the importance of being prepared with the appropriate oils and potions.

erawsd

I didn't think the combat was "janky" at all. In fact, as far as RPGs are concerned, it looked great. Reminded me of Assassin's Creed with spells and without the lame cinematic kills and goofy ragdoll physics.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

That's basically how the hunting quests are in the game -- you're given a creature to kill and it's up to you to find it (although presumably you'll be pointed in the right direction) with the help of your senses and then decide on the ideal approach for a kill. CDPR has talked about this more or less at length in the past.

I didn't think the combat was "janky" at all. In fact, as far as RPGs are concerned, it looked great. Reminded me of Assassin's Creed with spells and without the lame cinematic kills and goofy ragdoll physics.

Yeah, I agree completely. Looked great to me.

Hrothgar

Same, I really wonder what kind of combat the critics want to see in the first place? The only problem I had with the Witcher 2 was excessive rolling.

Same. I didn't have a big problem with TW2's combat, though. Some people here act like it was one of the worst combat systems ever created.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can understand the combat appearing "janky" to someone who was expecting a high fantasy equivalent to the free-flowing combat system in the Arkham games.

fresquito

Same. I didn't have a big problem with TW2's combat, though. Some people here act like it was one of the worst combat systems ever created.
Witcher 2 was an outstanding game despite its underwhelming combat. Most aspects of the game were top notch, while combat was subpar. Besides, not only the system was lacking, but the whole balance. Combats were either too easy or terribly unfair (I'm looking at you, 8 drowners in a small room), there was never a satisfying combat feeling in this game, which is kinda sad, once you consider how much time you spend fighting. So, no, it's not abysmal, but it doesn't fit in a game of this caliber.

From the video shown, W3 looks like it's far ahead W2 in this regard. Let's hope they can smoothen up animations and make the transition from one to the next more seamless, because, for once, I think they're in the right way.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Sigh, why does every game have a Detective Mode these days. They could have just put blood clues in the environment, instead of holding R2 to basically see GO HERE.

SparkTR

Sigh, why does every game have a Detective Mode these days. They could have just put blood clues in the environment, instead of holding R2 to basically see GO HERE.

It would be cool, but in an open world game it'll probably be for the best.

Windam

Scaley member

Makes sense since Geralt (and all other Witchers) had been subject to experiments in his youth that gave him superhuman abilities.

There's actually a quest in TW2 where you have to follow a blood trail in the environment.

Jb

Loved that they didn't go for a huge epic battle but instead a slower paced tracking mission. The dev seemed to have some trouble timing his dodges though.

Man, CDPR has me by the palm of their hands. That 5 minute slice of gameplay was enough to make my hype levels jump through the roof. I really hope that the story and narrative reverts back to the original Witcher's style.

Pro

DyczmPv.gif

Lol this describes it so perfectly. This game is going to be for Video Games what Lord of the Rings was for movies. It probably won't ever be matched for the rest of my lifetime.

Man that environment is beautiful. The PC version on ultra will be the new industry standard for open world environments. I just have a GTX670. It will be hurting. The lighting, vegetation density, fur, whatever, all the power hungry effects - there is never "enough power" or "graphics have peaked" Both photorealism and highly stylized graphics benefit from more power. Physics are getting better because of better GPUs. Physics is graphics. Graphics is physics. Lighting is physics. The way light interacts with materials... It all comes together in motion. Physics isn't just character animation.

Human hair still sucks of course. Understandable.

Lighting is such a difference maker. Every day shaders get fancier. And physics requires more and more power. I'm tired of "fields" that are merely patches of billboard grass bending and sliding oddly to simulate wind. Bring on density and polygonal grass. All of these little things add up. It's not polygon count like the old days.

Witcher 3's world is the best looking game world coming out anytime soon. I know nothing of the series but I sure want to see the standard being set which of course will be PC ultra settings. And beyond that I'm sure some great mods.

This is the kind of graphic level the next Red Dead should be. Not an empty brown desert like spaghetti westerns. Go north to the flowered fields and evergreen and aspen forests. Cowboys were there, too. oops off topic.

Too many words. If you read this far, pretend you didn't to get your time back. Rambling ends now.

Top Bottom