• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |Reviews Thread| Pour another goblet

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's why an invisible mesh would work. I don't want to use the glasses or hood.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sigh... I'm still waiting for the real GTX 1080 before I can embark on the whole Witcher 3 package. Glad to see they stuck the landing here, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In your vineyard you can put armour and weapons on display. You can also place "trophies", which I thought would allow for monster heads, but alas seems to be other goodies (like statues or ornaments awarded from quests). Any paintings and such can be hung on the wall, too. So if you acquired a painting from the auction in Hearts of Stone you can hang it in your vineyard.

Exentryk

Do the new monster trophies still offer the same kind of crap bonuses like in the main game, like more money, more exp, etc?

EatChildren

So far yeah.

It should be emphasised that Blood & Wine doesn't re-invent The Witcher wheel. There's still plenty of room for, if they had the time and budget, CDPR to go over the fabric and restitch things. The UI amendments aside (which are legit great, but even then could be better), Blood & Wine is more of a swansong to The Witcher 3. It does add some cool new stuff, and it's not a complete carbon copy head-to-toe of stuff from the main game, but it's still based on the same foundations. It's an expansion pack, to be sure, aimed at giving you another thrill similar you what fans would feel having arrived in Velen from White Orchard, or Skellige from Velen. A new landmass with its own adventuring to uncover.

diamount

Banned
In your vineyard you can put armour and weapons on display. You can also place "trophies", which I thought would allow for monster heads, but alas seems to be other goodies (like statues or ornaments awarded from quests). Any paintings and such can be hung on the wall, too. So if you acquired a painting from the auction in Hearts of Stone you can hang it in your vineyard.

Ah, I guess in the stash they will stay.

Dmax3901

Doing some witcher work around a vineyard and it's really cool how quests are integrated into the surrounding environment. They did this in the base game but it somehow feels even more connected, feels like you're actually helping improve things for people.

Couple of more shots, first one shows off the more detailed grass, second just a nice view.

kxRb.jpg

lxRb.jpg

Trying to get enough money for Grandmaster Ursine is taking longer than expected. Because I sold my Mastercrafted one I've had to build it up again from scratch which costs a lot even before getting to the Grandmaster one.

skypunch

Banned
Doing some witcher work around a vineyard and it's really cool how quests are integrated into the surrounding environment. They did this in the base game but it somehow feels even more connected, feels like you're actually helping improve things for people.

Couple of more shots, first one shows off the more detailed grass, second just a nice view.

Trying to get enough money for Grandmaster Ursine is taking longer than expected. Because I sold my Mastercrafted one I've had to build it up again from scratch which costs a lot even before getting to the Grandmaster one.

Wait, how are you playing it already? Doesn't it release on the 31st?

cackhyena

Jeezis, those shots are gorgeous.

Lakitu

st5fu
Beauclair itself is definitely the highlight for me so far in terms of design and setting itself apart from Novigrad/Velen/Skellige. CDPR keep saying southern europe and it really is the best way to describe the whole areas atmosphere. But the design of little lakeside villages, the many vineyards and the tourney grounds are also fantastic.

One thing I came across just by exploring was (monster encounter spoilers)
A nest of Endregas that had set up in someone's vineyard. I killed them and blew up their eggs and I was in the middle of looting when I heard someone say "They... they're.... thankyou" and turned around to see a supervisor standing there looking bewildered. There were a couple of workers there too prodding the eggs and looking generally disgusted. Simple but very nice touch!

I definitely agree with EatChildren and his point about the linear nature of Hearts and Stone. Blood and Wine definitely has that overwhelming feeling the main game had when it comes to content. I start up a session and think where the hell should I go first? There's a far greater likelihood of getting burned out, which is a good problem to have I guess, as far as flaws go.

That all sounds amazing, thanks!

Xeteh

It is gonna be brutal balancing both this and Overwatch once it is out but I cannot wait to play more Witcher.

robotrock

Banned
Holy shit CD Projekt is goddamn crazy for this shit my god I'm looking at those screenshots and I'm looking at the price and i'm reading the impressions and i'm like what a deal

Dmax3901

It is gonna be brutal balancing both this and Overwatch once it is out but I cannot wait to play more Witcher.

Yeah no kidding, I've just written my Uncharted 4 review and am currently balancing Total Warhammer, DOOM, Overwatch and this. Still haven't finished Dark Souls III yet either.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Can you stop it, too? Can you stop as if you were talking in everyone's name?

I think it's good. One of the best of the genre, in fact.
Sorry? I was just stating MY opinion.
I like the combat too, and it is definitely the best in the series. But, in my opinion, it is defenitely not particularly outstanding either. However, I also dislike when people claim it sucks, because thats not true, simply because it gives one to chance to be very strong once you git gud.

I just don't like it, sorry.

I'm not even a fan of the Souls combat, but that's because I suck at them. Witcher III's is just, im not sure, it just doesn't feel good.
Fair enough. In the end, if everyone had the same taste the world would be very boring. :)

Jamiaro

Should I restart the game? I played vanilla-Witcher 3 when it got released but I stopped around a month later (had done SERIOUS amount of sidequesting, story-wise I had just reached the Baron). I tried to play it a bit couple of days back but it was too overwhelming after such a long break.

Dmax3901

Holy shit finally got it. Pro tip: do not sell or dismantle your mastercrafted sets even if you moved on to the Viper one in Hearts of Stone. Grandmaster is no joke, the money it costs to make and the components you need are very expensive. The enchantments from HoS, upgrading Corvo Bianco and then making another mastercrafted set? Brutal, although I never got round to New Game+ so that might make things easier.

I've only managed to make the chest armour, the rest will have to wait. It does look lovely though, if a little inappropriate for the climate:

Good. I need a break from Overwatch. I'm seeing red character outlines whenever I close my eyes.

So... you won't be using witcher sense then? :p

Fuck me... I made a horrible mistake of forgetting to backup my save when I reformatted a few days ago. So I'm back to where I was in June of last year (right after I found Uma).
Thank god for those DLC character builds because I don't have the patience to play the back half of the entire game again lol

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
how are people playing this already? review copies?

Fuck me... I made a horrible mistake of forgetting to backup my save when I reformatted a few days ago. So I'm back to where I was in June of last year (right after I found Uma).
Thank god for those DLC character builds because I don't have the patience to play the back half of the entire game again lol

if you are on PS4 i can send you my game save? i'm lvl 39, finished all quests (none failed), collected all gwent cards, have fully mastercrafted wolven set, and the viper set from HoS. i've done everything in the game except for a lot of the POI's and geralt is just standing outside Kaer Morhen. I'm all ready to go for B&W. i did have a similar PC save except i hadn't yet played through HoS but i accidentally deleted it.

Holy shit finally got it. Pro tip: do not sell or dismantle your mastercrafted sets even if you moved on to the Viper one in Hearts of Stone. Grandmaster is no joke, the money it costs to make and the components you need are very expensive. The enchantments from HoS, upgrading Corvo Bianco and then making another mastercrafted set? Brutal, although I never got round to New Game+ so that might make things easier.

I've only managed to make the chest armour, the rest will have to wait. It does look lovely though, if a little inappropriate for the climate:

I like how they're reusing certain Witcher 2 assets for that armour.

You posted a pic earlier in a field. Are you on PC, or using any ini tweaks? Because the amount of grass that was there was pretty awesome. There's nothing like that in the base game.

I have some saves if you're on PC. If you tell me your choices, maybe one of mine will be similar, if you want.

usp84

Just how expensive are the new Grandmaster armours?

I have gathered 65000 coins from random question marks i hope it is enough along with the money we will get from the new area.Damn that expensive merchant from HoS.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i hope we can easily make money in this because i only have about 15,000. i want to be able to upgrade my wolven set. i'm really regretting paying that runewright 30,000.

Dmax3901

I like how they're reusing certain Witcher 2 assets for that armour.

You posted a pic earlier in a field. Are you on PC, or using any ini tweaks? Because the amount of grass that was there was pretty awesome. There's nothing like that in the base game.

Yeah it's on PC but no ini tweaks. That's just grass density and foliage view distance on ultra. I play with them on high for FPS.

Just how expensive are the new Grandmaster armours?

I have gathered 65000 coins from random question marks i hope it is enough along with the money we will get from the new area.Damn that expensive merchant from HoS.

That is a hell of a lot, should be fine. Whether you'll be fine for everything? Not sure.

i hope we can easily make money in this because i only have about 15,000. i want to be able to upgrade my wolven set. i'm really regretting paying that runewright 30,000.

I'm regretting it too tbh. Money is fairly easy to come by, over the course of the whole DLC it should be ok I've just been focused on getting the Ursine armour asap.

CHC

different hairstyles/beards I can deal with (I personally use the wavy medium hair and the mutton chops with the wolf armor to make him look like this van helsing order 1886 hunter), but putting glasses on him makes him look like an utter douche who thinks he's too cool and like white hair ozzy osbourne.

Yeah the glasses to me are kind of a joke / gimmick item. Though I'll say personally my biggest (only?) disappointment with Blood and Wine is a lack of new hairstyles. I usually do the elven rebel cut with full beard - makes Geralt look old and wise - but I could definitely do with a change. Surely the barbers of Beauclair must have their own special styles?!

Floody

What's the OST like? Been listening to the base games to past the time and forgot just how good it was, Hearts of Stone was excellent too.

RDreamer

OléGunner;204975967 said:
So us mugs who bought season pass can't pre load blood and wine?

Really sucks, my internet is awfully slow.

I bought the season pass and am pre-loading right now. If you're on PS4 you have to go into the store and "pre-order" blood and wine for free if you have the pass. Then it'll pre-load.

OléGunner;204975967 said:
So us mugs who bought season pass can't pre load blood and wine?

Really sucks, my internet is awfully slow.

I bought the season pass and am pre-loading right now. If you're on PS4 you have to go into the store and "pre-order" blood and wine for free if you have the pass. Then it'll pre-load.
If you bought the season pass on the EU PSN then there's no preload:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=204954196

There's a preload if you bought the season pass on the US PSN, or if you just bought Blood and Wine individually on the EU PSN.

Dmax3901

Finished my session for the night. According to GOG Galaxy I've played for 22 hours and I feel like I've just started getting my head around the area as a whole. I've visited every notice board and done a fair amount of side quests etc. As usual with my playstyle the main quest lies rather neglected so I expect there's quite a bit more of that to come. Definitely on track for 30+ hours.

What's the OST like? Been listening to the base games to past the time and forgot just how good it was, Hearts of Stone was excellent too.

It's fantastic of course. Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there's new songs for Gwent!

Top Bottom