• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |Reviews Thread| Pour another goblet

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
God I can't wait for this to go live for everyone. There's some seriously cool scenes I want to talk about and post screenshots of. Like I just had a scene that isn't anything particularly amazing in cinematography, but the character line-up and tension was just so fucking good.

EDIT: My game time says 30 hours, but you could knock off a good 5 (maybe closer to 8) from idle and fucking around, and I haven't finished the main quest let alone the side content and points of interest.

Zolo

I tend to take longer due to idling and screwing around. I know both times I beat KOTOR that it took me about 70 hours each when most people take around 40.

Coreda

Trying to avoid spoilers but the one thing I'm keeping my eye out for is missable items this time around, after not realizing until later there were a couple missed in HoS. Hopefully by the time the game rolls out there will be more info available.

Exentryk

This expansion gives more content than some full retail games, and that too at quarter of the price. Based CDPR.

Trying to avoid spoilers but the one thing I'm keeping my eye out for is missable items this time around, after not realizing until later there were a couple missed in HoS. Hopefully by the time the game rolls out there will be more info available.

If you missed those end swords, then I feel for you. They're the best weapons in the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This expansion gives more content than some full retail games, and that too at quarter of the price of a full retail title.

The inevitable re-release of Wild Hunt with Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine, with the free DLC and patched improvements, will be godly value for first time Witchers. Stupid high content quality and quantity.

Exentryk

The inevitable re-release of Wild Hunt with Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine, with the free DLC and patched improvements, will be godly value for first time Witchers. Stupid high content quality and quantity.

The size of the game file was close to 66 GB I read somewhere, which might not fit on a single disc (consoles). So be interesting to see if they can compress it all for a single disc release.

Coreda

If you missed those end swords, then I feel for you. They're the best weapons in the game.

I'd love to know if the Viper V. sword diagrams appear in B&W tbh, as I've been considering a replay of a previous HoS save for them before starting the new expansion. I could spawn them in but I couldn't live with myself if I did.

I never made viper shit, personally I like wolf and bear more.

So with grandmaster sets I'll stick with those two and maybe manticore. Display them all in my Vineyard.

Heck if I can afford it I'll make all of the Witcher sets and just put them in my Vineyard.

Don't care for the knight sets that I've seen from blood and wine though. I'd like to stick out from the crowd not be part of it.

The size of the game file was close to 66 GB I read somewhere, which might not fit on the single disc (consoles). So be interesting to see if they can compress it all for a single disc release.

66GB... How?

The current PC version with HoS is 28.7GB. Plus 12GB for B&W = 40.7GB. I have feeling patch 1.20 will rewrite a lot of older files, but even if it doesn't, there's no way it could be 66GB.

It would be more than doubling in size.

66GB... How?

The current PC version with HoS is 28.7GB. Plus 12GB for B&W = 40.7GB. I have feeling patch 1.20 will rewrite a lot of older files, but even if it doesn't, there's no way it could be 66GB.

In the ps4 if you click on "information" it says the game is 66 GB. Maybe the ps4 adds the patches to the size I don't know.

CHC

Usually I don't really care about missable items but damn missing the Viper swords in HoS SUCKED. They're so good and so easily misses. You have VERY brief windows to get either one.

CHC

Man I'm also now realizing that "over 90" new pieces of armor is A LOT. Holy hell.

I mean we know that the 5 Witcher set upgrades constitute 20 of those, presumably, but even that means there's like 15 more full sets to find. Crazy.

Wait you just reminded me I never found the diagrams for the other schools (Griffin and cat) so unless the expansions lets you buy them fuck that, I guess I'm not making those two.

hydruxo

Still pissed that I missed out on that one
Viper sword during the Open Sesame quest
in HoS

Hope there's no missable shit like that in BaW

Coreda

One other question, for anyone that may know (I know it's still early), but do any characters from HoS appear in B&W? Spoiler tags, obvs but was curious if there are any cross-quests between the two.

So if I'm going for a full replay, is it better to start a fresh game or a NG+?

I was thinking about doing the former, because my endgame save is at Lvl 35, which would make me overleveled quite a bit already at the beginning (because NG+ is just regular enemy levels + 30 levels, right?). However, the new enemy scaling option could mitigate that, so I'm really not sure about what to do atm...

Does anyone know if there's a way to pre-load if you have the expansion pass on xb1? Whenever I go to Blood and Wine it lists the price with no way to dl it.

Panda Rin

What's the best way to make money right now? I only have 2k gold...I've completed every quest and I'd rather not start a NG+.

What's the best way to make money right now? I only have 2k gold...I've completed every quest and I'd rather not start a NG+.
Skellige points of interest (the smuggler caches) are the best legit way to make money in the endgame. You'll get high end gear that you can sell for a decent amount.

There's also the beehive trick in White Orchard, which is shadier but way better.

I've asked something similar to this and it was answered, but I have to follow up: if I bought the expansion pass and had the game generate a character for me for HoS, could I then use that same character for a B&W later on? Essentially, are the game's premade characters only used for individual playthroughs? Or does the game basically give you a completed game save? Thank you.

~Kinggi~

Banned
66GB... How?

My steam says current installed PC is 41 gb

Staf

I'm replaying Heart of stone now in preparation for B&W. Man i can't stop smiling at the dancing scene with Geralt.

I still need to plow through heart of stone.

I just started Hearts of Stone myself. It's freaking great so far.

27255238231_3771449107_o.jpg

This motherfuckin guy.....

26718241044_b3d5b79335_o.jpg

I'm very much intrigued by his character.

Sure wish they spaced out the patch more with B&W. It's going to be play it right away with most mods disabled, or wait until all the mod authors release fixes. Something tells me I'm not going to wait. :)

Coreda

This motherfuckin guy.....

I'm very much intrigued by his character.

Yo, you're in for a treat. And he really is such a smug mofo. I love his character design. Totally went against the typical clichés with the understated appearance which was great.

CHC

Real way: Skellige treasure chests, the ones floating in the water.

Cheesy way: Beehive trick in White Orchard. Look it up.

I did the
latter honestly. I've played 200 hours of the game and I just wanted some quick coin before Blood and Wine launches.

I didn't know you hadn't played it based on your earlier volume of screenshots. It's so good though. The main new area in which the final leg of the quest takes place is also one of my favorite areas in the game, visually. I'm sure you'll see it soon enough.

Usually I don't really care about missable items but damn missing the Viper swords in HoS SUCKED. They're so good and so easily misses. You have VERY brief windows to get either one.

Yep, it was annoying. Since it is the end game though, I just loaded an old save and finished off that part again.

didn't know you hadn't played it based o. Your previous volume of screenshots. It's soooooo good. The main new area in which the final leg of the quest takes place is also one of my favorite areas in the game, visually. I'm sure you'll see it soon enough.
I'm slow. I was on a roll but then I had to go to the in-laws for the weekend. Real life always getting in the way of my Witcher 3...

When I finished the main campaign, I got sad because there was nothing left to do, but excited for future DLC. This is it, once complete, nothing more to look forward too after this. Bitter sweet times ahead.

NeoGiff

Has anyone from CDPR said anything about those of us in the EU who have bought the season pass not being able to pre-load? Because, quite frankly, it's fucking bullshit that we can't and everyone else can. My internet isn't good, and now I not only have to download a big patch, but also probably won't be able to play an expansion I paid for a year ago on the day of its release, while people who bought it days ago are ready to go already.

azumihack

Neo Member
66GB... How?

strange my pc + HoS gog non galaxy version are around 34 GB. im still on 1.10 though.

RDreamer

So, are both DLC's post core game?

Story wise they are pre-ending. As far as level-wise, they made it with the understanding that a lot of people already finished the story and would be slightly higher level. Realistically they both should be done right before the very last thing in the game.

I have not played HoS dlc yet. I've updated the ps4 version of the game to 1.12
Can I play HoS expansion with the latest additions and patches before Blood and Wine and take advantage of all the enhancements such as the inventory and UI and graphics?

Whaaaaaaaaat. Hype.

He's cool but IMO kind of underutilized.
He bugs me a bit. He's ordering Geralt around like a like a little bitch. It seems like Geralt is just a little too cool about everything happening to him.

But the story so far is great so I'll reserve judgement.

Story wise they are pre-ending. As far as level-wise, they made it with the understanding that a lot of people already finished the story and would be slightly higher level. Realistically they both should be done right before the very last thing in the game.

Near end of game spoilers. I am currently at
the part where I have gathered the lodge of sorceresses to fight against eredin
Should I do the expansions from where I am or am I already past the point where they are set?

Top Bottom