• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |Reviews Thread| Pour another goblet

Jolkien

So I figured I'd post here first instead of making a new thread, I decided to load up my save game to get reacquainted with the game before the DLC comes out, the game does not recognize my Xbox One controller anymore. Windows 10 detects it no problem and I see the inputs working when I go to the calibrate page, anybody has an idea ?

Playing on PC, as stated above, on Windows 10. Tried unplugging and replugging the controller in Windows and with the game running, no change and of course restarted just to make sure

kevin1025

Banned
So I figured I'd post here first instead of making a new thread, I decided to load up my save game to get reacquainted with the game before the DLC comes out, the game does not recognize my Xbox One controller anymore. Windows 10 detects it no problem and I see the inputs working when I go to the calibrate page, anybody has an idea ?

Playing on PC, as stated above, on Windows 10. Tried unplugging and replugging the controller in Windows and with the game running, no change and of course restarted just to make sure

That's odd, when was the last time you played? Maybe verifying the integrity of the files might do the trick!

Jolkien

That's odd, when was the last time you played? Maybe verifying the integrity of the files might do the trick!

Back in October when Heart of Stone released. Between my post and now I used the repair option in the GOG client, still the same issue. I plug in my DS4 the game recognize it automatically.. worse case I'll just use my DS4 but I don't know what could cause that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Another really cool vineyard-related thing, but beware straight up spoilers for early in the main quest:
You're tasked with finding a Wight and instead of killing it I broke the curse on it. The Wight turned back into an old lady who Geralt took back to Corvo Bianco. After a time I went back to check on her and she's now a permanent resident and helping out as my cook!

Did the same. Great quest.

kevin1025

Banned
Back in October when Heart of Stone released. Between my post and now I used the repair option in the GOG client, still the same issue. I plug in my DS4 the game recognize it automatically.. worse case I'll just use my DS4 but I don't know what could cause that.

Doing a quick search it appears to have happened to a few people, Xbox One controller specifically. Some had to use an emulator for it to pick it up properly, and others had a super specific program that was interfering with it. But I'm not sure what the cause is, unfortunately :( But if your DS4 is working, you may have to resort to that.

I just skimmed a few reviews to avoid spoilers for now, but I'm curious if they did anything to improve quest and guarded treasure rewards, such as giving you a weapon that may actually be useful, rather than just being vendor trash like 99% of the relic/magic gear you find in the game as of now. If not, there is always a mod I guess, but that does feel like a missed opportunity. All that work into making beautiful relic weapons, and pointless to use rather than a crafted Witcher sword.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
witcher32016-05-2900-gvubg.jpg

Nordicus

- The story is great, but I feel Hearts of Stone was a tighter, more intriguing adventure. But this is mainly offset by it structurally operating as a short stand-alone adventure. Hearts of Stone works because it's really just that and nothing more, and thus as a more energetic pacing. Blood & Wine is more reminiscent of the main game, wherein the narrative pressure is offset by combining it with a huge world to explore. So in that respect it doesn't "make sense" that Geralt would ever pause from following the Duchess's request to hunt down the beast, in the same way he too wouldn't when driven to find Ciri, but the diversion quests and adventuring are there nevertheless.
I'm fine with this. In HoS most of the exciting stuff was on the main storyline and the side content was very sparse

EatChildren

I only just crafted the grandmaster feline swords. Shit's expensive yo!

Dimitri0508

Neo Member
So I just got the game delivered with the card decks, but I can't download it on PS4. Is this because the game hasn't officially released yet? If so, I am pretty pissed off..

EatChildren

Spoiler me if you can, how annoying is it to get materials, money aside, for grandmaster shit?

If you're happy to pay, not too bad. When I went to craft my grandmaster feline silver and steel swords I was only missing one material. Enriched ingots or something. With the new UI, during crafting with an NPC you can just highlight the missing material and, if they're selling it (which this guy was), purchase it from the crafting menu.

Not sure what's required of the armour pieces. I've currently completed two of the diagram quest arcs; one for the grandmaster feline set, and one for the manticore set.

Man I'll really want to get manticore set too. I'll have to decided whether the bulkier wolf armor can be made to look good or if I should switch it for manticore and keep the wolf armor on display in my home.

DeaDPo0L84

The only save I have is a completed new game plus save with both the main campaign and hearts of stone completed. I should be able to jump right info blood and wine right? I would cry if come the 31st it can only be started with a normal save...

icespide

Banned
So I just got the game delivered with the card decks, but I can't download it on PS4. Is this because the game hasn't officially released yet? If so, I am pretty pissed off..

correct. you will probably be able to preload it tomorrow and play Monday at midnight

Related Q:

I played Witcher 3 back in June on my PC before Hearts of Stone came out.

Replaying the game on my PS4 now. Planning to play the DLC content on console. At what point in the game should I start HoS and BaW?

I'm guessing before I go to the Isle of Mists? but is it better to play it after I complete the main game?

Related Q:

Replaying the game on my PS4 now. Planning to play the DLC content on console. At what point in the game should I start HoS and BaW?

I'm guessing before I go to the Isle of Mists? but is it better to play it after I complete the main game?

Hearts of Stone is a level 32 area I believe. You probably want to complete the whole game first?

@Dmax3901 and @EatChildren

Have they rigged the collar for the Wolf armour yet, so that the hair doesn't clip through it anymore?

Basically, so that this doesn't happen:

Code:
[IMG]https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7686/27275716396_06e71cb1b4_o.jpg[/IMG]

Nordicus

Related Q:

I'm guessing before I go to the Isle of Mists?
If at that point you're anywhere near the level that the expansions want you to be, I'll be impressed. They're pretty much designed to be played after finishing the main story.

Related Q:

I recommend doing it during
Final
Preparations
. That way, all of the main NPC's are in one convenient place for the bit of extra dialogue they may get for both expansions.

Sai

EatChildren, Dmax, or anybody else with a review copy: Could you tell me if there are any additional Witcher Contracts?

I mean, genuine monster hunts with negotiable pay, not Secondary Quests disguised as Witcher Contracts.

EatChildren

EatChildren, Dmax, or anybody else with a review copy: Could you tell me if there are any additional Witcher Contracts?

I mean, genuine monster hunts with negotiable pay, not Secondary Quests disguised as Witcher Contracts.

Yes, there are optional Witcher contracts.

Just a shame he looks no better than Fable 1 NPCs....

You know, it's undeniable that W3 suffered a downgrade at some point in its development, and, while I'm not going to say that anyone shouldn't be upset about that, this kind of hyperbolic shit slinging is the single least productive way of addressing the issue.

Related Q:

It's a very awkward fit because of the level requirement of the expansion, but, if you can, definitely do it
before the isle
. There are a few cool things you will miss out on otherwise.

Edit: I'm talking about HoS specifically.

NotUS

Hi Dmax3901 & EatChildren,

Thanks for the screenshots, many comments and short impressions.

When do you anticipate your reviews will be up on your respective sites?

Randdalf

I finished the latest Witcher book to come out in English a few days ago, and Toussaint is mentioned quite frequently. I once thought the region was of CDPR's invention but it's totally canon. Some characters actually scathingly refer to it as a "fairytale duchy" which is fairly amusing.

6880x2880. I get around 20-25 FPS at that res :p

I inject SMAA with ReShade. It's not as blurry as the in-game AA (which is FXAA, I beleive).

Some more shots of my recent adventures....

Getting very close to the end of the game now I think. Just did some side questing and then wrapped up the big battle at Kear Morhen. Hoping to finish it tonight and power through Hearts of Stone over the weekend...

Those look damn amazing. You only use ReShade? No more mods? What's your rig?

Dmax3901

Quality, location design, exploration and atmosphere.

Beauclair itself is definitely the highlight for me so far in terms of design and setting itself apart from Novigrad/Velen/Skellige. CDPR keep saying southern europe and it really is the best way to describe the whole areas atmosphere. But the design of little lakeside villages, the many vineyards and the tourney grounds are also fantastic.

One thing I came across just by exploring was (monster encounter spoilers)
A nest of Endregas that had set up in someone's vineyard. I killed them and blew up their eggs and I was in the middle of looting when I heard someone say "They... they're.... thankyou" and turned around to see a supervisor standing there looking bewildered. There were a couple of workers there too prodding the eggs and looking generally disgusted. Simple but very nice touch!

I definitely agree with EatChildren and his point about the linear nature of Hearts and Stone. Blood and Wine definitely has that overwhelming feeling the main game had when it comes to content. I start up a session and think where the hell should I go first? There's a far greater likelihood of getting burned out, which is a good problem to have I guess, as far as flaws go.

Hi Dmax3901 & EatChildren,

Thanks for the screenshots, many comments and short impressions.

When do you anticipate your reviews will be up on your respective sites?

As mentioned due to Australian internet and a bit of delay in getting the code we missed embargo well and truly so I'm kinda just taking my time. It's also a huge game and not one I think should be rushed to get a review out (especially for a small time site such as the one I write for). I'll be sure to post a link in here when I'm done, hopefully before the release date! Sounds like EatChildren's will be out before that however.

EatChildren

So if you're wearing any facial gear (mask, glasses, etc) with the Grandmaster Feline gear the hood will pop down. If CDPR hasn't added something in, all modders would have to do is add a mesh that effectively does the same thing as glasses/mask but is invisible and the armour would be wearable without the hood up.

witcher32016-05-2912-cno48.jpg

So if you're wearing any facial gear (mask, glasses, etc) with the Grandmaster Feline gear the hood will pop down. If CDPR hasn't added something in, all modders would have to do is add a mesh that effectively does the same thing as glasses/mask but is invisible and the armour would be wearable without the hood up.

witcher32016-05-2912-cno48.jpg

the downside of this is that you either have to make him wear a dorky mask, or have him wear those god awful glasses that don't look good on him.

They should give the option to let you wear a mask plus the hood though. Look like some crazy assassin mysterious sexy mofo.

It's not Geralt without the beard to me anymore. Hair down, beard full is best Geralt.

different hairstyles/beards I can deal with (I personally use the wavy medium hair and the mutton chops with the wolf armor to make him look like this van helsing order 1886 hunter), but putting glasses on him makes him look like an utter douche who thinks he's too cool and like white hair ozzy osbourne.

Top Bottom