• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |Reviews Thread| Pour another goblet

Exentryk

No idea about the armour. Haven't got it yet. From what I've seen I don't think it does.

I saw a master version of it in one of the screenshots, so hoping for a relic version that might have unique skills. Just like how we got New Moon gear master version in an HoS quest, but the relic version was hidden in various locations.

I'd prefer to avoid all spoilers, but your screenshots have been relatively spoiler free. So all good.

Dang, did you grind before HoS or after? I'm right at the cusp of 40 so I might get there before release just for kicks.

Also that scaling being a new option is pretty great.

No, I just added more exp via console commands because I needed some extra points for my build. I was thinking that BaW would start at level 40, so it wouldn't be too big a deal. Oh well!

CHC

I loaded up the save to check and all I've got on my questlog were a bunch of treasure hunts, horse races and gwent quests. The map's empty of quest markers too. Oh and the Defender of the Faith quest. Never bothered to upright those shrines.

So I'm gonna disagree with you there.

There's absolutely no way you did all the Witcher Contracts and other side quests from notice boards in 43 hours. Also k wouldn't dismiss the treasure hunts, a lot of them have cool little side stories. Anyway, even playing on easy, skipping all the dialogues and fast traveling everywhere it would take a very deliberate effort to finish that fast.

Stoze

I am using tweaks. I'll dig them up later. Just standard stuff that increases shadow detail, and draw distance of shadows and foliage.

No idea about the armour. Haven't got it yet. From what I've seen I don't think it does.
Cool, thanks. I'm really digging the color in those shots, some really vibrant stuff in there. I noticed in the trailer they literally just have a bunch of different colored pools of paint lying around somewhere, which there was a tiny bit of outside Novigrad if I remember correctly.
No, I just added more exp via console commands because I needed some extra points for my build. I was thinking that BaW would start at level 40, so it wouldn't be too big a deal. Oh well!
Gotcha. I was actually just playing around with some console commands yesterday to try and test out some different builds for fun. I couldn't find a command to spawn enemies around my level to fight though so it wasn't working out too well.

Exentryk

Gotcha. I was actually just playing around with some console commands yesterday to try and test out some different builds for fun. I couldn't find a command to spawn enemies around my level to fight though so it wasn't working out too well.

Yeah, the enemies can't be spawned based on level. They have fixed variations like level 1, 2, 3 and mh (which is the strongest version and might even be higher level than you). May be with this upcoming patch and scaling option, we'd be able to spawn them at our levels.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Last one
for now

witcher32016-05-2800-88rd1.png

Here I am frantically trying to wrap up the main campaign + Hearts of Stone so I have a character I can easily transition into the new area with.

26679166814_e19624439d_o.jpg

23388871104_31411cbb95_o.jpg

I tried to create a new "Hearts of Stone" only game but... I was not happy with the equipment it starts you out with.

@EatChildren

Are you not using any AA? I see a lot of stuff that looks like it would be easily cleared up with SMAA (injected, of course).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
God I am hyped. Have to finish up Uncharted, and probably something else while I wait on my EVGA 1080.

I may cave to the hype and just start playing on my 970's though. I DO still have like 50% of the Vanilla campaign and HoS to get through, so even if I started now, I probably would not be done with that content before my 1080 got here.

Ohhh choice...

BigTnaples

Here I am frantically trying to wrap up the main campaign + Hearts of Stone so I have a character I can easily transition into the new area with.

26679166814_e19624439d_o.jpg

23388871104_31411cbb95_o.jpg

I tried to create a new "Hearts of Stone" only game but... I was not happy with the equipment it starts you out with.

Stop it. You're going to make me do something ridiculous like buy a $1600 PC monitor.

Was going to wait to play this but I don't think I'll be able to resist after reading through this thread.

Quick question I can't find the answer to: will there be a pre-load for this on PS4? If so, when?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Was going to wait to play this but I don't think I'll be able to resist after reading through this thread.

Quick question I can't find the answer to: will there be a pre-load for this on PS4? If so, when?

i guess if there was one then it'll happen on monday. don't see it happening over the weekend. i can't remember if HoS got one. i think also the PS store gets updated on a tuesday, the day of the expansion release. The download will be 13GB.

GeeTeeCee

i guess if there was one then it'll happen on monday. don't see it happening over the weekend. i can't remember if HoS got one. i think also the PS store gets updated on a tuesday, the day of the expansion release. The download will be 13GB.

HoS had a pre-load for definite, and while I can't be sure exactly when it'll start, I recall HoS starting to download on the preceding Sunday during the morning (GMT).

Jornax

It's probably not going to happen, but I hope there's a Doppler enemy in the expansion. Looking at that single lonely unfinished decoction really hurts my OCD feelings.

BigTnaples

Has anyone tried playing it in VR with Virtual Desktop?

I would be really interested to see someone get VR working with Wild Hunt much like Lucky's Tale, where you are just above Geralt, but "In" the world.

Same with Deadspace.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The combat in The Witcher 3 is excellent in my opinion and I enjoyed it a lot. There's nothing more satisfying than chopping off an enemy's head and watching it roll down a hill due to the wind blowing.

I never played the first two games in the franchise and honestly, never will as I can't go back to play previous games in a franchise so I can't comment on the combat in previous games but I will say that there's only one negative in regards to the combat in The Witcher 3 and that's being "locked in" that stance during every fight.

If there was at the very least, an on/off option for being locked in, the combat would be perfect in my opinion. Being "locked in" was the only negative for me especially if/when I wanted to run away from the fight I was in because it was a pain in the ass to do so at times.

I finished the game on easy in over 300 hours and still missed a few of those "random" side quests which to be perfectly honest is something that I hate in every open world game. I hate "random" quests/events simply because I hate missing them and get annoyed if/when that happens. Oh well.

As for CDPR, they're easily a top 5 developer, maybe top 3 right now. Not only because of the quality of The Witcher 3 but also because of the quality of the two expansion packs as well as the fact that even a year later, they're still working on problems and in turn, fixing and solving them. Granted, CDPR isn't perfect (no developer/publisher is) but they're definitely one of the few that's the closest to being so.

Looking forward to both expansions (I haven't played HOS yet) but im holding out until after E3 with the hope that they announce a GOTY edition for later this year. If CDPR doesn't announce a GOTY edition at E3, then I'll pick up the game and the expansion pass.

Salvadora

Anymore impressions EatChildren?

And keep posting the screenshots, if you want to - of course.

It's insanely beautiful and such a nice palate cleanser compared to vanilla Witcher 3.

impact

Banned
Is that a PC shot?

LOL of course it is. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the PC version of TW3 (1080p/ultra) looks a generation ahead of the PS4 version. So glad I ditched the PS4 and waited till I could max the game out at 60fps. The combat feels so much better it's crazy.

Unfortunately I haven't even made it to Skellige yet so no Blood or Wine for me for quite some time

I had 2 big problems with The Witcher 3: firstly (and more importantly but not something that can really be "fixed"): I hate the actual reasoning/lore behind The Wild Hunt. It was fucking cool when they were Ice Wraiths of the Snowocalypse. Lots of mystery, intrigue, and supernatural shit behind them.

Then you just actually meet them face to face and it's the most boring fucking shit ever |:

Don't care about "loyalty to source material", it was trite either way. Blegh. Forever a bad taste in my mouth. And the last fight just felt so underutilized and underwhelming given a specific fucking power that coulda been really amped up.

But that is something that I can't ever see being "fixed".

What I would like is even more of a push away from "mob" enemies. The Witcher is best when it's hunting a singular monster or small group of monsters. A whole story behind a single wraith haunting a field or a vampire or succubus in the city. Great shit. But the whole world is just filled with hordes of endregas and ghouls and drowners that are just there to act as filler combat enemies. I'd like more substance behind their placements and the hunting around them. Yah there's the "well there's a war going on so bodies everywhere excuse" but it just feels so... gamey? In a world that strives to be well realized in so many facets, that one grates on me a lot.

I agree with you on the lack of fleshing out the Wild Hunt. It would have made a lot more sense if you saw the game populated with Scoia'tael (nonhuman rebels) in the forests as they were fighting for the same cause. Eradicate the humans who evaded their land and drove them out to the wilderness. You see a lot more of them in Witcher 2, and their absence, aside from one quest, is sorely evident in the the 3rd installation.

The interesting twist about the Witcher's world is that its Continent was home to the monsters and nonhumans before the conjunction of the spheres (colliding of two worlds) occurred. Witchers at first were created by humanoids to weed out the monsters so they could build settlements without the worry of such monsters protecting/fighting for their territory. What you are seeing in the game are the last remnants of those monsters, with some that manifested in consequence from humans dwelling in magic. In short, humans brought this shitty scenario of a world on themselves. It wasn't their world to begin with.

To those who have been playing it: is the music from the beginning of the "New Region" trailer in the game? Like, as ambient music when you're roaming around?

mileS

LOL of course it is. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the PC version of TW3 (1080p/ultra) looks a generation ahead of the PS4 version. So glad I ditched the PS4 and waited till I could max the game out at 60fps. The combat feels so much better it's crazy.

Unfortunately I haven't even made it to Skellige yet so no Blood or Wine for me for quite some time

Talk about hyperbole. The PC version looks better than most PC-PS4 games because they put the extra effort in for the extra options and well, it was the lead platform. Where as most other games that are on both systems get ported to PC or the PC version has bare-bones options and what not. Anyways.. The game still looks great on PS4.

RaidenXZ

Totally forgot about the physical gwent decks for this expansion! Didn't think they would make them! Hope I can get my hands on them since I have the HoS ones

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Some brief notes/impressions before I pen my review.

- The story is great, but I feel Hearts of Stone was a tighter, more intriguing adventure. But this is mainly offset by it structurally operating as a short stand-alone adventure. Hearts of Stone works because it's really just that and nothing more, and thus as a more energetic pacing. Blood & Wine is more reminiscent of the main game, wherein the narrative pressure is offset by combining it with a huge world to explore. So in that respect it doesn't "make sense" that Geralt would ever pause from following the Duchess's request to hunt down the beast, in the same way he too wouldn't when driven to find Ciri, but the diversion quests and adventuring are there nevertheless.

- Adventuring is the key here, just like the Wild Hunt main game. Suffice to say if you're one of those people who found a great deal of immersion and wonder in simply exploring, finding new areas, and reading notes from hidden treasure and monster nest to immerse yourself in the overall world and lore, you're going to be utterly enthralled by Blood & Wine.

- Grandmaster Witcher gear schools each have their own little stories. Mostly told through notes and locations, but it's not just random scattered shit. You'll learn about each Witcher that left them, where they went and why, and their fate.

- Pretty certain you can't insert yellow abilities in the unlockable bonus slots. You can only actually insert abilities with matching category to the active super mutation.

- Black Blood delivers and is strategically useful just like in the A Night to Remember trailer.

witcher32016-05-2820-5hu58.png

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Have some general questions, not sure where to ask them but I suppose this is as good a place as any.

I just restarted The Witcher 3 after finishing it shortly after launch, I'm playing on the highest difficulty. At what point can I access the two DLC packs and would they be do-able for a low-level character on Death March difficulty.

I wanted to do a new game plus but the latest version of the game just won't recognise my old saves for whatever reason.

J4g3r

- Black Blood delivers and is strategically useful just like in the A Night to Remember trailer.

Great to hear this, was pretty disappointed with it in the main game.

One question I do have that I didn't really want to dig around to find out:

Are Crowns still the currency in this expansion? You would think Florens are what's used in Toussaint.

mileS

The scaled up enemies feature doesn't give xp from what I remember reading. I'm sure some people here could confirm or deny.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
That game has clearly been release quality for a while considering the reviews. Would have been great to play during Memorial day weekend. I guess I'll savor it over time, but really I want to take a day off and get lost in it.

ironcreed

Banned
Some brief notes/impressions before I pen my review.

- Adventuring is the key here, just like the Wild Hunt main game. Suffice to say if you're one of those people who found a great deal of immersion and wonder in simply exploring, finding new areas, and reading notes from hidden treasure and monster nest to immerse yourself in the overall world and lore, you're going to be utterly enthralled by Blood & Wine.

witcher32016-05-2820-5hu58.png

That would be me. And love the shots, btw.

8d666bcf003875b14c0f03a8257d1cca35e1cb224b40c39d5f49925e5b186dd6.jpg

Exentryk

@EatChildren - Can you please tell me what level you started B&W at, and what level you get to when you finish? Just want to get an idea on how many levels can be gained in this expansion.

Sorry :p

27255920416_f3bf939c93_o.jpg

Gimme dat DLC!

Your images are really clean. What res do you use for the pics, and how you get that SMAA you mentioned earlier?

@EatChildren - Can you please tell me what level you started B&W at, and what level you get to when you finish? Just want to get an idea on how many levels can be gained in this expansion.

I'd really like to know this as well, I'm wondering if my level 38 Geralt is too low.

Edit: I see the recommended level is 34, seems low for people who finished HoS.

EatChildren

Have some general questions, not sure where to ask them but I suppose this is as good a place as any.

I just restarted The Witcher 3 after finishing it shortly after launch, I'm playing on the highest difficulty. At what point can I access the two DLC packs and would they be do-able for a low-level character on Death March difficulty.

I wanted to do a new game plus but the latest version of the game just won't recognise my old saves for whatever reason.

Both are geared towards near if not end game play due to the level scaling of quests and enemies.

Great to hear this, was pretty disappointed with it in the main game.

One question I do have that I didn't really want to dig around to find out:

Are Crowns still the currency in this expansion? You would think Florens are what's used in Toussaint.

I think they are. I was just wondering the same. Could be wrong though.

I'm not finished yet, but I started at 40 I think and am now 45 after a good chunk of the main quest and quite a few side quests. Heaps to go though.

For anyone that played it already, how does the main city feel?

Is it dense and lively? Better, worse, or the same as Novigrad?

About the same as Novigrad I feel, depending on where you are, but it's quite large and at least feels lively. CDPR didn't just copy/paste the animation cycles from Wild Hunt. NPCs are engaging and interacting differently to the main game, more contextual to the kind of city this is.

Your images are really clean. What res do you use for the pics, and how you get that SMAA you mentioned earlier?

6880x2880. I get around 20-25 FPS at that res :p

I inject SMAA with ReShade. It's not as blurry as the in-game AA (which is FXAA, I beleive).

Some more shots of my recent adventures....

Getting very close to the end of the game now I think. Just did some side questing and then wrapped up the big battle at Kear Morhen. Hoping to finish it tonight and power through Hearts of Stone over the weekend...

EatChildren

Getting very close to the end of the game now I think. Just did some side questing and then wrapped up the big battle at Kear Morhen. Hoping to finish it tonight and power through Hearts of Stone over the weekend...

You're at the shortest stretch of game but you might be surprised at how much there is to go. Hearts of Stone isn't anything to scoff at either. It's quite long, all things considered.

Dmax3901

- I was 39 when I started and I think I'm now 45 with a metric fuckton of stuff still to do. I think the highest quest 'recommended level' thing I've seen so far (again, not very far) is 46.

- So the colour of the new one-at-a-time mutations dictate what colour ability you'll be able to put in the slots. If you've selected one that purely uses signs, it'll be blue, potions, green etc. There are some that use more than one however, which means you'll be able to put different coloured abilities in the slots as you unlock them.

- Yes crowns are used.

- Beauclair is lovely. The vibe is very different to Novigrad. NPCs are much cleaner and proper. You won't find any muddy streets here. Music is also great.

Another really cool vineyard-related thing, but beware straight up spoilers for early in the main quest:
You're tasked with finding a Wight and instead of killing it I broke the curse on it. The Wight turned back into an old lady who Geralt took back to Corvo Bianco. After a time I went back to check on her and she's now a permanent resident and helping out as my cook!

Exentryk

6880x2880. I get around 20-25 FPS at that res :p

I inject SMAA with ReShade. It's not as blurry as the in-game AA (which is FXAA, I beleive).

Some more shots of my recent adventures....

Damn, thats an insane res! I've never used reshade, but I might give it a crack. Is SMAA more costly than the ingame AA?

Top Bottom