• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III: Blood & Wine |Reviews Thread| Pour another goblet

poodaddy

So I just started replaying the Witcher 3, inspired by some Ultra wide images on reddit, and my shiny new 21:9 34 inch monitor....

This is the best looking game on the planet, PERIOD.

Off topic I know, but what monitor did you pick up my man? I'm thinking about finally moving on from 16:9 1080p 21inches and I was really looking at ultra wide as the next big option, wanting some suggestions.

Exentryk

The Witcher III: Blood and Wine |OT| One Last Contract
The Witcher III: Blood and Wine |OT| Something Ends, Something Begins
The Witcher III: Blood and Wine |OT| Farewell, Geralt

Lunar15

Eh, nevermind what I wrote here.

Very excited for this game. I wish it would come out tomorrow, rather than next week, after the holiday.

SugarDave

Witcher 3 Blood and Wine IOTI Rags to Witchers
Witcher 3: Blood & Wine |OT| Let the White One In
The Witcher III: Blood and Wine |OT| Something Ends, Something Begins

Stick these in a hat and pick randomly, they're all great. I personally like the last one, relevant to the Witcher saga but also true for CDPR moving on to Cyberpunk.

Mikey Jr.

Is there a big patch coming along with this expansion or no? Mainly, will the patch affect the main game in any way?

If this is as big as a full game do we know the download size for the DLC yet ? Witcher 3 was like 30 GB and will probably have another ~10 GB patch for this DLC (like before Wild Hunt came out). But the expansion was only like 5 GB itself.

Exentryk

If this is as big as a full game do we know the download size for the DLC yet ? Witcher 3 was like 30 GB and will probably have another ~10 GB patch for this DLC (like before Wild Hunt came out). But the expansion was only like 5 GB itself.

About 10-15 gb depending on platform.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Unfortunately the timing of my review key plus downloading on Australian Internet TM means my review won't hit for awhile. I'm still early days to be honest, but it's really fucking wonderful and the map is absurdly huge when you consider the price.

And I mean, it's not just "let's recycle an immense amount of assets from the base game and thus make it huge". Obviously there is a decent bit of recycling, but so much effort has been poured into the new assets and the overall composition of the landscape and focus on an original tone that it really does feel like you're visiting a totally different location compared to the Velen/Novigrad/Skellige/Skellige/Kaer Morhen combo. You're uprooted and taken to a place that aesthetically and tonally is 100% distinct from everything in the base game; the way characters talk and dress, the newly recorded NPC chatter, the shape of the landscape, the colours and tones sweeping the horizon, the clouds in the sky, the bright stars at night, and so on.

I stood in my vineyard, the sweeping, colourful Toussaint valley before me, and upon whistling for Roach I realised CDPR had put a nice little echo as the pitch bounces down the sprawling vista. That's when it hit I was somewhere totally new, and deliberately so.

Here's some cheap pics I took.

blood1nxp0a.jpg

blood2hop13.jpg

undwitcherxform.png

This write up already has me salivating.

I played non-stop nearly on release for around 140 hours on my first playthrough on Death March, and here I am....2 new DLC fresh from CDPR and ready to partake in an epic NG+, armour freshly runesmithed and respec potions purchased....I haven't been this excited for a game since, well, The Witcher 3 on release.

GOAT, on level par with The Mass Effect Trilogy.

Dmax3901

Unfortunately the timing of my review key plus downloading on Australian Internet TM means my review won't hit for awhile. I'm still early days to be honest, but it's really fucking wonderful and the map is absurdly huge when you consider the price.

I am in the exact same position. That said, if anyone has any questions or screenshot requests fire away!

Exentryk

That said, if anyone has any questions or screenshot requests fire away!

1. Can you slot yellow abilities in those mutation slots?
2. And whether we get any bonus for filling all 4 slots?
3. Are there any new runes/glyphs in this expansion?

Mifec

I am in the exact same position. That said, if anyone has any questions or screenshot requests fire away!

Did you get
Aerondight
yet?

How cool is Corvo Bianco and does it have any quests related to it after you already own it?

Can't wait to get to this! Restarted Witcher 3 a few weeks ago -- I have an old unfinished save that's probably in the 70 hour area from last year, but somehow I'm more into it this time around.

PreFire

Still finishing Wild Hunt, probably grab the expansion pack deal if it's still going.

Stopped playing because I had to delete it from my HDD to make room for AK when it came out.

I love Witcher 3 and I hate fantasy games.. Funny how that works lol

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Any suggestions for someone starting a NG+?

As in things you wish someone told you before you did your save game. I'm only at the start of HoS at Level 36 with about 7,000 currency after upgrading the
Runesmith
to the first level.

I love Witcher 3 and I hate fantasy games.. Funny how that works lol

I'm usually not a fan of fantasy games myself, but the characters in the Witcher show emotion and have personalities in ways that are extremely relatable to what a human being would actually exude in the game's scenarios.

None of the dialogue feels scripted, and the world feels believable in a sense if another world were to collide with ours by conjunction of spheres. Things would obviously go to shit.

No paragon or renegade points accumulated from your past decisions. You feel that person should die for their actions or betrayal, go right ahead. The game isn't going to punish you by giving you an "evil" ending for making decisions you feel are most appropriate.

I believe in the books such decisions were called lesser evils or greater evils because Geralt is confronted with getting involved with situations that have a double-edged sword in terms of consequences. No easy way around. Either Geralt walks away from the situation and let's something horrible happen or intervenes and gets blamed for its consequence(s).

Dmax3901

So I've played approx 11-12 hours so far, but when it comes to the main story I haven't gone much further than the preview event earlier in May. Just for some context.

1. Can you slot yellow abilities in those mutation slots?
2. And whether we get any bonus for filling all 4 slots?
3. Are there any new runes/glyphs in this expansion?

1. I haven't actually unlocked the slots yet as it requires quite a few ability points (level up points).

2. See above, will be a while before I'll know as you have to spend ability points on the new mutation thingys themselves to unlock more of those four new slots.

3. I have not encountered any yet.

Did you get
Aerondight
yet?

How cool is Corvo Bianco and does it have any quests related to it after you already own it?

First question: no I have not and I'm not entirely sure what that is and I hope it's not too much of a spoiler! My own fault for highlighting I guess.

Second question: I think Corvo Bianco is very cool and it's very satisfying to return there after questing to see all the changes. There is one quest that sort of tracks your progress and will say "return in 3 days to see the changes to the stables" etc. It also pops up with an update when that time is up. As for specific quests that tie into upgrades that require you to go elsewhere, that sort of thing, nothing yet. Doesn't mean they're not there.

How far in until you meet Triss and Yen again?

As above,
around 11 hours in and nothing yet although I haven't done much of the main quest. Although: the quest that you have to do to unlock the new mutation system is started by a letter received from Yen, voice acted and all.

Exentryk

1. I haven't actually unlocked the slots yet as it requires quite a few ability points (level up points).

2. See above, will be a while before I'll know as you have to spend ability points on the new mutation thingys themselves to unlock more of those four new slots.

3. I have not encountered any yet.[/SPOILER]

Thanks.

i played like a hundred hours of this on ps4, but i just bought it for pc recently. is it possible to "create" a character that is able to play this dlc like people were able to do for the last dlc i believe?

i just kinda wanna jump right into this dlc. thanks

Dmax3901

i played like a hundred hours of this on ps4, but i just bought it for pc recently. is it possible to "create" a character that is able to play this dlc like people were able to do for the last dlc i believe?

i just kinda wanna jump right into this dlc. thanks

Yeah you can do that, it'll give you the option the first time you get to the main menu.

Maybe this has already been mentioned but I haven't seen anyone confirm.

can you fast travel from Toussaint back to Velen/Novigrad/Skellige via the map like in the vanilla game?

Dmax3901

Maybe this has already been mentioned but I haven't seen anyone confirm.

can you fast travel from Toussaint back to Velen/Novigrad/Skellige via the map like in the vanilla game?

Do you mean via signposts? If so, yes. You go to the map screen then press spacebar to go the world map screen. Touissant is a separate area like Skellige and Kaer Mohren etc.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As above,
around 11 hours in and nothing yet although I haven't done much of the main quest. Although: the quest that you have to do to unlock the new mutation system is started by a letter received from Yen, voice acted and all.

For me it was
Triss, so it must be based on romance choice

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Those with the game...do the trees in Touissant no longer look like they are in a category 5 hurricane?

diamount

Banned
Just a minor nibble. I hope we don't have to rely on waiting for others to make 21:9 work in cutscenes this time round.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Also I think this might be legit canonically post-game if you're playing in post-game save.
My Geralt outright said Ciri and him teamed up to defeat the Wild Hunt.

Mifec

Also I think this might be legit canonically post-game if you're playing in post-game save.
My Geralt outright said Ciri and him teamed up to defeat the Wild Hunt.
From the FAQ

Q: Are there any differences if you play this before or after the end of the main game?
A: Yes, there are some differences, but we don’t want to spoil!

Will you people finally stop?
W3s combat system isnt perfect or even particularly good, but neither is it bad. Hell it is much better than what Elder Scrolls has to offer.
Not every game is a Demon-, Dark Souls / Bloodborne.

I just don't like it, sorry.

I'm not even a fan of the Souls combat, but that's because I suck at them. Witcher III's is just, im not sure, it just doesn't feel good.

JarrodL

Witcher III: Blood and Wine |OT| We're Just Here to Use the Library Again
Witcher III: Blood and Wine |OT| It's Not Right to Treat Books This Way

Those who haven't read Lady of the Lake probably won't get it.

SlickVic

Great reviews. I really like this is coming out the same time of year as the main game did last year. The Witcher marks a great start to Summer.

I just don't like it, sorry.

I'm not even a fan of the Souls combat, but that's because I suck at them. Witcher III's is just, im not sure, it just doesn't feel good.

So because it doesn't feel good for you it must mean it's wrong?

I enjoy it just fine and so does a lot of people. And I say this as someone who just clocked 80 hours for Dark Souls 3 and fucking adored the combat.

So because it doesn't feel good for you it must mean it's wrong?

I enjoy it just fine and so does a lot of people. And I say this as someone who just clocked 80 hours for Dark Souls 3 and fucking adored the combat.

yeah, cause it feels wrong. Nothing about the combat felt right, to me.

Will you people finally stop?
W3s combat system isnt perfect or even particularly good, but neither is it bad. Hell it is much better than what Elder Scrolls has to offer.
Not every game is a Demon-, Dark Souls / Bloodborne.

Can you stop it, too? Can you stop as if you were talking in everyone's name?

I think it's good. One of the best of the genre, in fact.

Top Bottom