• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THEATRHYTHM Final Fantasy Official Site is up (Indieszero)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I just got Light for my avatar if it's not a problem to someone else :p

Anyway pretty interesting stuff, but I still don't get if it's an RPG featuring rhythm-genre or something else.

Also 25th anniversary? TGS should have some interesting surprise waiting for us.

Goldmund

Perfo said:
I just got Light for my avatar if it's not a problem to someone else :p

Anyway pretty interesting stuff, but I still don't get if it's an RPG featuring rhythm-genre or something else.

Also 25th anniversary? TGS should have some interesting surprise waiting for us.
The more of these avatars, the better.

PokéKong

Developed by indieszero.
Boner achieved.

Gosh dang, I was just on the edge of my seat listening to that main theme, totally thinking "come on, come on, start with the phat beat...." and then it came exactly how I imagined it. This is too beautiful. I was almost expecting the dubstep BBWWHAAWABWABWABWAAAAWAWA noise to come in.

speedpop said:
I'll reiterate what I said in the initial announcement thread: this game is going rock. Damn the haters!
Yup, I said at the time that people will love this game when it's released and I stand by that.

(No I do not have a time machine.)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
PokéKong said:
Boner achieved.

Gosh dang, I was just on the edge of my seat listening to that main theme
FFFFFFFFFFFFF

This is the main theme.
Sometimes SE seem in danger of forgetting, so it needs constant reinforcement.
The piece on the website is a rendition of the Prelude.

dramatis

How amusing is it that all of the character arts have them with one leg up....

I get the impression of dogs for some reason.

Goldmund

dramatis said:

Are you really able to keep both your legs on the ground if good and danceable music is playing? Closer to the patellar reflex than to urination.

Ellis Kim

Banned
EW!

Why in the world is the character art all pseudo-shaded??

Why didn't they just keep them in their flat-shaded form? Gah! Don't they see that the art style, as is, is the entire charm of the style, not the proportions or the face? Pastel colored flat-shaded cutouts is the entire point :(

2132427090_full.jpg

Kyon said:
Prishe art plz
Prishe's art in this style is in Dissidia Duodecim :O

I don't remember at which point you unlock it, though. I sort of noticed it after grinding her up to 100 :S

Ofc they cannot make competent DJMP/IIDX rip-off, no sir, this is S-E we are talking about. Exhibit 1: story. In a rhytm game. Story in a rhytm game. Oh, S-E, never change.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Do want tbh.

GhaleonQ said:
Okay, Indieszero are a solid developer. Between that and Square-Enix's occasional good taste on their rearrangement albums:

http://www.akirakosemura.com Akira Kosemura (who's legitimately, mainstream, critically heralded fantastic) on Chill SQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqESp0kswQA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmWH1hL5cd8
http://idiotpop.com Idiot Pop on More SQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxdD2BCIlpc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HkQ33psrhQ
http://vgmdb.net/artist/612 Hirosato Noda on Love SQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG0pmDrGwAc

people ought to be optimistic.
I've been listening to the SQ albums and I agree. I like Idiot Pop's Megalomania remix and muZik's Mana mix a lot.

dramatis

Goldmund said:
Are you really able to keep both your legs on the ground if good and danceable music is playing? Closer to the patellar reflex than to urination.
Unfortunately I am one of Those People born without a sense of rhythm (you have no idea how long it took to beat Built to Scale in Rhythm Heaven ;_;). Which means yes, I can keep both my legs on the ground.

For what it's worth, it looks mildly entertaining but if it didn't have the Final Fantasy brand associated with it people wouldn't bat an eye. That to me is more depressing than the lack of original IP, the character art, and that we actually have to question the quality of SE production.

Pooya

dramatis said:

well, those are just a frame from their walking animation :p there are other frames too with their two legs on the ground , I wish I could extract them in gif format :\

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I REALLY like it.
Good job for now,Square and IndiesZero.
So...Nomura is involved as creative director,as I saw earlier in one of the posts here?

I like the art style, I like that is a music game, I like the idea, I like to hear remixes of my favourite FF themes.

I dont understand the hate. A spinoff? And what if the game is fun and good.

Mian theme is fucking awesome, I love the FFIX rendition, I hope theres lots of music from FFIX, because is the music I love most from the series (too bad square seems to have forgotten FFIX exists and only expose it when its too hard to hide.)

Rolf NB

That's some lousy character art. Unless they were deliberately going for lousy. In that case, they have succeeded 100 per cent.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mpl90 said:
I REALLY like it.
Good job for now,Square and IndiesZero.
So...Nomura is involved as creative director,as I saw earlier in one of the posts here?

Creative producer.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The music on the site is a great little remix. I also love GC CX, so I'm actually really looking forward to this game.

walking fiend said:
lets hope this doesn't end like this.
Electroplankton is awesome. I never really got the hate.

Easy_D said:
Crystal Bearers sure does have some pretty good music for such a crappy game.

Crystal Bearers is actually really good in just about every area but the way it plays. It's certainly got a more charming world than FF13. Then again, much of that creative team was involved in 9, so no surprise there.

Why am I anticipating this, lol.

More Info: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/12/theatrhythm-final-fantasys-notes-detailed/

Red notes have players tap the screen. Green colored notes appear like a line that players have to slide on with the stylus. Blue notes have players touch and hold the beat.

The game features a variety of monsters from the Final Fantasy series.

Three main options: Music Game, StreetPass Mode, and a Museum that holds your digital song collection. Music Game branches into its own options story mode, challenge, and ????.
Heer for the digital song colletion, bring it!

APZonerunner said:
Crystal Bearers is actually really good in just about every area but the way it plays. It's certainly got a more charming world than FF13. Then again, much of that creative team was involved in 9, so no surprise there.

;_;

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Gameplay details from Dengeki PlayStation.
...Yeah,you read it right.

For our first solid details on Theatrhythm Final Fantasy's rhythm gameplay, we turn to Dengeki PlayStation. Yes, it's a PlayStation magazine, but they'll occasionally cover high profile games on non-Sony platforms. This week's issue has one page devoted to the 3DS title.

According to the magazine (via Sokuho), Theatrhythm has three modes of play: Music Game, SpotPass and Museum. Of these, only Music Game is introduced.

Select Music Game, and you'll be presented with three submodes: Series, Challenge and one unidentified mode. These options are shown alongside your current party, listed with HP and level. It also looks like you can swap out characters from your party here.

Now for the gameplay details. As you might have guessed from the screenshots that were released yesterday (see below), the basic gameplay involves icons moving across the screen. There are three types of icons:

Red: Touch the screen briefly
Yellow: Slide in the direction of the arrow or line of movement of the icon
Green: Touch and hold down on the screen.

It was previously revealed that the game will have "field," "battle" and "event" stages for each of the numbered Final Fantasy titles. Of these, field and battle are introduced in the magazine.

Field
Play to field, town and dungeon music. There's just one rhythm line here. The difficulty is lower, and there are some more relaxed songs that require you to slide the touch pen up and down.
Battle
There are four rhythm lines here. The music is higher tempo and the difficulty higher. It appears that you'll be able to get critical attacks by timing your inputs perfectly. Yesterday's screenshots confirmed the presence of chains.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/13/theatrhythm_ff_gameplay/

EDIT: I'm old,wow

Not sure why, but my hype is increasing for this. And I'm not even a Final Fantasy fan. Maybe that's why. I just love the characters.
Does this have a story, is there other gameplay than the rhythm battles?

Edit:
Just realized that my hype would be through the roof if this was Dragon Quest game. I love the music in those games. Then again, I don't even want to imagine the levels nerd rage if SE would release a DQ game with this art style instead of the Toriyama art...

Pooya

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/13/theatrhythm_ff_in_famitsu/

First bits from Famitsu's report on Theatrhythm Final Fantasy have surfaced. Here's what's new:
•The game will have over 50 songs.
•The songs include three songs each for FFI through FFXIII, corresponding to each game's Field, Battle and Event stages.
•In addition to 3D visuals, the game will have surround sound.
•A release is planned for Winter.
•Development on the game originally started on the DS but the project was moved to the the 3DS. The staff had apparently had space issues on the DS, somethign that was resolved with the platform switch.

Famitsu's report on Theatrhythm is just one part of a huge Square Enix feature this week. In past months, Famitsu delivered features on Sony Computer Entertainment, Sega and Capcom. This week, it's Square Enix's turn.

Of course, the big attraction is a Tetsuya Nomura interview that is expected to offer some new details on Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Check back later to see what surfaces.

Shirokun

Ken said:
Hopefully that doesn't affect the final product too much visually.

It's pretty clear from the existing screen shots that the 3d graphics haven't changed much. Obviously, there's plenty of time to change it, but with the high-quality 2D sprites and the onscreen action, it doesn't look like something that people will pay a whole lot of attention to.

Still hope they beef them up a bit.

mutsu

weeaboo said:
A 50 songs trackslist feels a little bit limited for a FF rythm game, I hope they support THEATRHYTHM with DLC.

They do have to save some for the inevitable THEATRHYTHM FF2

Kyon

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
Prishe's art in this style is in Dissidia Duodecim :O

I don't remember at which point you unlock it, though. I sort of noticed it after grinding her up to 100 :S
Omg Omg Omg! I JUST got Duodecim 2 weeks ago and just unlocked her. Thanks for the tip. I'll look around

wrowa

dock said:
So, how do we think this is pronounced?

Thea-trith-them?
kingofthedead45 said:
So, I'm pronouncing this as The-Eat-Rhythm. I'm not doing it right am I?

I really don't understand why so many people have problems with it. You pronounce it as "Theater-Rhythm". It's probably the easiest to pronounce SE game in a long time... :p

Top Bottom