• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THEATRHYTHM Final Fantasy Official Site is up (Indieszero)

Effect

Development on the game originally started on the DS but the project was moved to the the 3DS.

Ugh. This equals a firm no buy for me. I accepted this for the launch but no way in hell will I accept this so far after the systems launch. The style of game this turned out to be already resulted in disappointment. This just adds to that.

Chairhome

Effect said:
Ugh. This equals a firm no buy for me. I accepted this for the launch but no way in hell will I accept this so far after the systems launch. The style of game this turned out to be already resulted in disappointment. This just adds to that.
I don't understand this. It just means that development of the game has been longer than previously thought. If they switched to 3DS and this is releasing however many months after launch, then they've probably put a significant amount of time on the 3DS development.

daffy

Banned
Crystal Bearers is actually really good in just about every area but the way it plays. It's certainly got a more charming world than FF13. Then again, much of that creative team was involved in 9, so no surprise there.
faridmon said:
Its a quite good game. play it for yourself...
Eh, I thought it was terrible. A game with bad gameplay is a bad game.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Chairhome said:
I don't understand this. It just means that development of the game has been longer than previously thought. If they switched to 3DS and this is releasing however many months after launch, then they've probably put a significant amount of time on the 3DS development.
Not much effort seems to have been put into taking advantage of the hardware upgrade. The environments look like they're lifted straight from the DQ games on DS.

Effect

Chairhome said:

A game that started out on the DS and moved to the 3DS just tells me that the thought, design, and core of the game is centered around the DS. If they were to have gone back to zero and started over (no reason to hide that if it's the case) I doubt the game would look the way it does. It's most likely an up-port, tweaked with some 3D and has a 3DS label put on it. That was what happen with Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. That though was a launch game. A game I had issues with but still enjoyed only because I didn't have to actually spend any of my own money on it (used Amazon credits from the 3DS and other games bought at the time). That goes a long way for me.

As a pure DS game I would feel different about it because it would be a DS game designed for the DS/DSLite/DSi. I might even be looking forward to it on some level. It's content might be robust and I'd wouldn't feel negative about it. However games that appear on the 3DS as retail boxed games have a different standard to live up to. It is a graphical issue with me in part. When I spend money to buy a 3DS game I expect a game that takes advantage of the hardware and not to get a DS game in disguise. Graphics have to be at a certain level and system should be taken advantage of.

Then there is the issue of it being a rhythm based game. PSP gets an actual RPG. It's no doubt that the PSVita will get a RPG as well. Yet the 3DS gets their up-ported, music based game with cartoony graphics. I'd rather take a straight port of Crystal Chronicles (GameCube) or a similar game.

Truth101

Banned
Effect said:
A game that started out on the DS and moved to the 3DS just tells me that the thought, design, and core of the game is centered around the DS. If they were to have gone back to zero and started over (no reason to hide that if it's the case) I doubt the game would look the way it does. It's most likely an up-port, tweaked with some 3D and has a 3DS label put on it. That was what happen with Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. That though was a launch game. A game I had issues with but still enjoyed only because I didn't have to actually spend any of my own money on it (used Amazon credits from the 3DS and other games bought at the time).

As a pure DS game I would feel different about it because it would be a DS game designed for the DS/DSLite/DSi. I might even be looking forward to it on some level. It's content might be robust and I'd wouldn't feel negative about it. However games that appear on the 3DS as retail boxed games have a different standard to live up to. It is a graphical issue with me in part. When I spend money to buy a 3DS game I expect a game that takes advantage of the hardware and not to get a DS game in disguise. Graphics have to be at a certain level and system should be taken advantage of.

Then there is the issue of it being a rhythm based game. PSP gets an actual RPG. It's no doubt that the PSVita will get a RPG as well. Yet the 3DS gets their up-ported, music based game with cartoony graphics. I'd rather take a straight port of Crystal Chronicles (GameCube) or a similar game.

Your entire argument is based on a couple of screen-shots and a tiny bit of information on what the game plays like. So, why not wait till we get a more robust look at the game before jumping to conclusions.

Effect

Truth101 said:
Your entire argument is based on a couple of screen-shots and a tiny bit of information on what the game plays like. So, why not wait till we get a more robust look at the game before jumping to conclusions.

Perhaps. Do you expect the look of the game to change in any significant way? This is in addition to what SE is doing or just not doing with Heroes of Ruin. A game that they have yet to show any actual gameplay footage from. Almost as if they are afraid to show anything. The combined situations just makes me negative about whatever SE is doing on the 3DS and on Nintendo systems in general. I expect their effort on the PSVita to be quite different and doubt they will push out an up-ported PSP game for it as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they actually internally develop a game for it too instead of pushing it off on another developer and just acting as a publisher.

Truth101

Banned
Effect said:
Perhaps. Do you expect the look of the game to change in any significant way? This is in addition to what SE is doing or just not doing with Heroes of Ruin. A game that they have yet to show any actual gameplay footage from. Almost as if they are afraid to show anything. The combined situations just makes me negative about whatever SE is doing on the 3DS and on Nintendo systems in general. I expect their effort on the PSVita to be quite different and doubt they will push out an up-ported PSP game for it as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they actually internally develop a game for it too instead of pushing it off on another developer and just acting as a publisher.

I'm simply waiting till more information is available. I can't make judgment otherwise. Also why expect gameplay videos when we don't even know when the game will launch, plenty of games do this.

Square has supported the DS extremely well, I expect no less for the 3DS.

Spiegel

0am40.jpg
tEDOi.jpg

AwBkI.jpg
MJd8s.jpg

Effect said:
long story short, you think 3DS will be another DS for SE? and that is supposed to be a negativity?

Looks like an iPhone game. :/
technically, looks worse actually.

I can't understand why if a game iswithin the rhythm genre it don't automatically deserve to be sold as a retail game; Rhythm Heaven has a sub-iPhone graphics but it is worth 30$, and I do hope this game will have a lot fo stages and songs to play since I like the genre and I like the fact that some software house still put effort in it.

Effect

Relaxed Muscle said:
I see this as one of those 3DS games that should be on the 3DS-shop.
This. I could understand this being a 3DS download title. Its look and gameplay setup wouldn't be held against it if that were the case also I think.

rpmurphy

Effect said:
This. I could understand this being a 3DS download title. It's look and gameplay setup wouldn't be held against it if that were the case also I think.
It will suffer heavily content-wise though if that were the case, and that would make it a real disappointment if the developer were restricted like such.

Roto13

Effect said:
Do we know yet what the 3DS download game file size limit is? If there is even one?
It doesn't matter. They're not going to release a game like this for $10. They'd scale it back a lot.

Famassu

So... how is this game actually played? Do you only use the touchscreen? Or D-pad/analogue stick & buttons? All of them?

Who's Indieszero...I remember that name from the Nintendo DS Cooking Guide.
Electroplankton & the (awesome) Retro Game Challenge games.

Clunker

This looks insane and kind of awesome. I can't shake the feeling that this will come over to iOS eventually, as they've been publishing some weird experimental stuff there for a while (Song Summoner, that strange voice-focused not-really-an-RPG, Sliding Heroes), but if it's not so expensive I'll pick it up on 3DS.

The art is adorable.

suzu

So cute. I like how all the monsters have this like "wtf make it stop" face.

I want keychains / models of all the characters..

LiK

Looks like they're designed with toys in mind already. Those designs look familiar.

Official phone strap:
SEP10185.jpg

AwShucks

Effect said:
A game that started out on the DS and moved to the 3DS just tells me that the thought, design, and core of the game is centered around the DS.

I'm too lazy to see if anyone else responded to this but...seriously? Gameplay on the 3DS is going to be 90% the same as gameplay on the DS. It's literally a DS w/ slightly better graphics capabilities and 3D.

That's it.

Seriously.

watershed

Banned
I couldn't find the gameplay clips! I can't read Japanese :(

Also those character designs are kind of scary, those eyes make them all look like the bad guys from Caroline.

Thoraxes

When you get in the "Main site"
Select the 3rd option on the top.
Select the second menu in the vertical list.
Select the second option in the menu that pops up.
Click the Large Blue Button to play the video, and use the arrow to progress to the next screen/gameplay demo section. Sometimes it auto-plays the next section.

watershed

Banned
Okay I watched the gameplay and my interest in this game is declining. The battle stuff looks interesting but the part where lighting is just walking along is odd and I didn't like the stuff where you play over old FF cutscenes. Seems kinda thrown together.

artwalknoon said:
Okay I watched the gameplay and my interest in this game is declining. The battle stuff looks interesting but the part where lighting is just walking along is odd and I didn't like the stuff where you play over old FF cutscenes. Seems kinda thrown together.

I had the exact opposite reaction. It looks very similar to Ouendan, which is exciting to me. I hope the game has lots of fun little historical Final Fantasy things to unlock like the trophies in Smash Bros.

Top Bottom