• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

they did it: FPS Mario in UE3

Reversed

More like First Person Platformer.

Hm, what if you played it in a Mario 64 setting where you can switch the view? I just can see it working during a boss fight (Bowser, the Koopa Jr.), but the gaming community couldn't stomach a genre that is mainly used for violence on Mario.

I'm also recalling Jumping Flash!, but that game has aged pretty badly.

Fredrik

sykoex said:
It's interesting to me how much something like this seems to offend people.
I don't get offended, it just reminds me why I think first person perspective is crap.

Fredrik said:
I don't get offended, it just reminds me why I think first person perspective is crap.
let me tell you about the wonders of the

Mouse-Mouse.jpg

he could use some more fov, or vertical triple screen would be perfect for this :))

Reversed said:
but the gaming community couldn't stomach a genre that is mainly used for violence on Mario.
it's just a viewpoint, not a genre.

he could use some more moves. like jumps from super mario 64 or sunshine. slide jump, triple jump, flip and long jump stuff. if I did this I would just put every single level from mario1 next to each other on the z axis with this. so you have something to look over at in the empty void there. huahua

Kalnos

Banned
Wow, tons of douche posters in this thread. They were doing this to learn more about the tools and thought it would be fun, u mad?

oneils

16msAA and 16AF or bust!

Man, the first person perspective even made me sick. I usually do not get motion sickness from that perspective. I did just eat a huge sandwich, though.

Kalnos said:
Wow, tons of douche posters in this thread. They were doing this to learn more about the tools and thought it would be fun, u mad?

The combo of Mario and fps seems to have made people knees jerk out of control, pretty funny. I'd play a really well done first person Mario game. Mirrors Edge (and jumping flash) showed that first person platformers can be awesome.

marcurius

Pretty cool for what it is. Interesting how much more manageable it seemed to get with a bit of depth though, 1-3 actually seemed somewhat playable compared to the other levels.

Mael

Kalnos said:

Internet crowds usually don't reward mediocrity, there's nothing interesting in that vid that wasn't done before either. It may endear you to watch your cat finally pooping in its box but that doesn't it's something you should post on youtube either.

cnizzle06

Banned
Mael said:
Internet crowds usually don't reward mediocrity, there's nothing interesting in that vid that wasn't done before either. It may endear you to watch your cat finally pooping in its box but that doesn't it's something you should post on youtube either.

pooping cat = students taking pride in their game development progress

Concept17

Pretty neat. I'm assuming this was done by either 1 person or a small number? In eight weeks to get all of that working that smoothly with accurate level design, I would say its a pretty good attempt.

Its not like they were trying to say mario would be better in first person.

Kalnos

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
pooping cat = students taking pride in their game development progress

But dude, it has been done before!! He isn't entitled to post such unimaginative garbage on the bastion of creativity known as YouTube!

cnizzle06

Banned
Kalnos said:
But dude, it has been done before!! He isn't entitled to post such unimaginative garbage on the bastion of creativity known as YouTube!

I know right? It's like a cat defecating. No hyperbole here.

Mael

Kalnos said:

Oh he can but he shouldn't be surprised by the replies.
Seriously this vid is not neat in anyway, it's old to boot.
There's plenty of better stuffs done by students so I don't see how that's unfair either.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mael said:
Oh he can but he shouldn't be surprised by the replies.
Seriously this vid is not neat in anyway, it's old to boot.
There's plenty of better stuffs done by students so I don't see how that's unfair either.
That video is pre-rendered. This one is real time :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AbsoluteZero said:
What a waste of time and labor.
Not really. I'm sure they learned a whole lot of UE3 during the creation of that and such experience can be quite valuable.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I guess it's neat in the tech demo kind of sense, but none of that looks like it'd actually be fun to play.

(._.)

Banned
Nothing really special. We've seen this done I believe in Source's hammer editor, or was that gmod? Either way....

Top Bottom