• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Third Party Wii Games

HYDE

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Capcom and SEGA's don't look bad at all, actually. You'll probably cover them with "shit" stamps, but you can't account for some people's tastes.

I'd have to agree, I thing those two have supported Wii the best. And, besides the turds, Ubisoft's true efforts are a distant third.

D.Lo

cacildo said:
:lol :lol :lol LOVE IT!

cacildo said:
Cmon, Elebits is a nice game. But dewy´s is the wrong game at the wrong time. I know people mean the best with it, but it was just too cute to be taken seriously and too hard for kids to dig it. It was the game nobody wanted (and never got anywhere). That´s why the "shit" stamp. I know it sounds a little bit hard on the little guy, but... cmon, you know what we´re taking as wii owners here!
Truetrue.

cacildo said:
I heard the PES games are great soccer games, but im not the soccer guy. I feel it was best to leave it alone than give an opinion that wasnt mine.
Problem with the Wii PES games is they're brilliant but seemingly deliberately sabotaged by Konami by being released late and never promoted.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Capcom and SEGA's don't look bad at all, actually. You'll probably cover them with "shit" stamps, but you can't account for some people's tastes.
Bullshit. Capcom would easily be best, but are still totally shit. As someone in the NWR thread said, Capcom's list is (in order as shown on the image):port, rail shooter, shit port, shit port, shit port, rail shooter, marketing and positioning disaster, shovelware port, shit, shit, minor but good, shit port, super shit, good but marketing disaster, good.

Sega? Shit PSP port, port (good despite being shit), ports, budget but good, good, okay, good, shit port, kiddy shit, kiddy shit, decent, shit, good under the mess, good, ?, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, good, good.

Yeah I think Sega is the best 3rd party publisher on the Wii. But still far, far from 'good'.

D.Lo said:
:lol :lol :lol LOVE IT!

Truetrue.

Problem with the Wii PES games is they're brilliant but seemingly deliberately sabotaged by Konami by being released late and never promoted.

Bullshit. Capcom would easily be best, but are still totally shit. As someone in the NWR thread said, Capcom's list is (in order as shown on the image):port, rail shooter, shit port, shit port, shit port, rail shooter, marketing and positioning disaster, shovelware port, shit, shit, minor but good, shit port, super shit, good but marketing disaster, good.

Sega? Shit PSP port, port (good despite being shit), ports, budget but good, good, okay, good, shit port, kiddy shit, kiddy shit, decent, shit, good under the mess, good, ?, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, good, good.

Yeah I think Sega is the best 3rd party publisher on the Wii. But still far, far from 'good'.
Like I said, no accounting for some people's tastes.

I think you have to look at what the disparity is between the quality of what each third party puts on the Wii vs. other systems. Activision and SEGA's output is pretty consistent (if not better in SEGA's case) than what they've done on the other two systems, while Ubisoft, Capcom, and Konami all end up looking really pants.

D.Lo

Htown said:
Deadly Creatures is awesome, you take that back!
Yeah, should be listed as good IMO. But it was still a marketing mess with appalling box art, no promotion and a concept completely unappealing to 95% of the population.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think you have to look at what the disparity is between the quality of what each third party puts on the Wii vs. other systems. Activision and SEGA's output is pretty consistent (if not better in SEGA's case) than what they've done on the other two systems, while Ubisoft, Capcom, and Konami all end up looking really pants.
Their efforts elsewhere also being shit doesn't somehow make their Wii games better. But point taken.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
D.Lo said:
Yeah, should be listed as good IMO. But it was still a marketing mess with appalling box art, no promotion and a concept completely unappealing to 95% of the population.

Their efforts elsewhere also being shit doesn't somehow make their Wii games better. But point taken.
I will say that they probably should have bought some ad time instead of paying for Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thornton to voice like twelve lines each.

That's right kids. The real Oscar-level stuff wasn't in GTA, it was in Deadly Creatures.

cacildo

Penguin said:
Wouldn't it have been easier to put actual ratings on the game? From like Metacritics or Gamerankings?

Not quite: Dead Space Extraction got amazing reviews. Ask any Wii owner what they think about Dead Space Extraction and they will probably try to shove the game down your throat before you even finish the word "space"

EDarkness

cacildo said:
Not quite: Dead Space Extraction got amazing reviews. Ask any Wii owner what they think about Dead Space Extraction and they will probably try to shove the game down your throat before you even finish the word "space"

I'm a Wii owner and I told people to avoid that game like the plague.

cacildo

EDarkness said:
I'm a Wii owner and I told people to avoid that game like the plague.

Exactly.
And yet, our beautiful PR liars got around saying "Oh no! Dead Space Extraction sold less than a banana full of nails! But its the perfect game, how is that possible?! This could only mean that the Wii audience is made only by kids and grannys! Lets make more minigames!"

No, people. The guy who said that know this is not true. He was lying

jdforge

Banned
I like where this thread is going. Those illustrations really highlight the absolute shite that the publishers and developers have been pushing on Wii owners.

But the audacity to further condemn Wii owners for not buying these crap games, is just unbelievable.

Kenka

Guuuuys, DSE is a good game. It's a good shooter-on-rail. End of the line. OK ?

People never said it was the second coming of Jesus or some insane batshit. They underlined the qualities of the game, which are numerous. Have you guys played the game ?

Fritz

cacildo said:
Exactly.
And yet, our beautiful PR liars got around saying "Oh no! Dead Space Extraction sold less than a banana full of nails! But its the perfect game, how is that possible?! This could only mean that the Wii audience is made only by kids and grannys! Lets make more minigames!"

No, people. The guy who said that know this is not true. He was lying

so effin true. I bought that game. It's really bad. The only thing that can make you push through it is probably the love for the original dead space. On its own the game has nothing to offer.

edit: reading the post above, it's probably not that bad. I just thought it was really boring and not a good game.

cacildo

Kenka said:
Guuuuys, DSE is a good game. It's a good shooter-on-rail. End of the line. OK ?

People never said it was the second coming of Jesus or some insane batshit. They underlined the qualities of the game, which are numerous. Have you guys played the game ?

Yes. Finished it once

Now i didnt like the game. It has some qualities, along with some really annoying problems. But everything just loses relevance when you get to analyse the the big picture

What´s the big picture? Its On rails. Its a spin off of a series that only have "real games" in the HD systens

Its an on rails spin off!!!

That means we´re still, as wii owners, been treated like shit

Apenheul said:
DSE being an on-rails spin off doesn't mean it's a bad game. I personally think it's the best on-rails shooter on the system.

It also doesn't mean it's what people wanted.
Regardless of how good it is, it was still a slap in the face for Wii owners, especially once EA started with that "It's not a light gun game! It's a guided first person experience!" crap, thinking that people were dumb enough to fall for it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Deadly Creatures isn't shit by any stretch of the imagination. None of the Cars games are bad, although they are all licensed titles. Worms isn't shit. Dewy's Adventure isn't shit. Tornado Outbreak isn't shit. DDR isn't and has never been shit.

Red Steel would certainly fit the "OK" label. Rayman Raving Rabbids (1) isn't shit. Where's Waldo isn't shit. None of the My <x> Coach series is shit. Rabbids Go Home is excellent. TV Show King isn't shit.

I'm sure you've played them all. Just because a game isn't intended for you, a 13-18 year old male, doesn't mean that the game isn't intended for someone. There are many games for kids that are well made, high quality games. Ditto software for adults. It doesn't make sense to say that "My Word Coach" is shit unless you similarly believe that EA Sports Active / Wii Fit / 100 Classic Books / other software is shit by virtue of not being a game.

You don't need to be hyperbolic to prove the point that the majority of the library is garbage.

Capcom's list, by the way, would be good, good, shit, good, good, good, good, good, good, shit, good, good, shit, good, good... unless you went mental and called games shit just because you wanted something else from them. That's a better ratio than I'd give virtually any publisher on virtually any platform.

cacildo

Htown said:
Whoa whoa WHOA. WHOA! HEY!

Deadly Creatures is awesome, you take that back!

Deadly Creatures had 2 problems.

1) It wasnt that much of a good game.

I rented one day. Played for a few hours/stages. After some time i was asking myself why should i keep playing that game
I found no reason.
It was just a boring brawler. Fight, walk a set path, fight again.
A lot of games work this way, but they need a certain hook to keep players interested. In this case the "hook" was the fact that you´re playing a Scorpion and a Spider.
It wasnt enough for me. It wasnt enough for most people.

2) It just came out in the wrong universe

Imagine that from day one the Wii had a barrage of amazing software. Great hardcore games using the wiimote pointer for aiming, good motion control and online capabilities.
In that scenario, Deadly Creatures could have found its audience.

But no. Deadly Creatures came around at a time when there wasnt almost no good games coming out for the wii. At all. And then, the ONE and ONLY hardcore game out there.... is about a spider and a scorpion.

Really, thats insulting.

And then, in the end of the day, we have the PR lie.

THQ guy says -"You know, Deadly Creatures is the best game ever made by man, it almost makes us closer to God, and yet it floped on the Wii. This could only mean that this twisted Wii users dont want any amazing perfect games. We´re making minigames now"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cacildo said:
Deadly Creatures had 2 problems.

1) It wasnt that much of a good game.

I rented one day. Played for a few hours/stages. After some time i was asking myself why should i keep playing that game
I found no reason.
It was just a boring brawler. Fight, walk a set path, fight again.
A lot of games work this way, but they need a certain hook to keep players interested. In this case the "hook" was the fact that you´re playing a Scorpion and a Spider.
It wasnt enough for me. It wasnt enough for most people.

... the fact that the game didn't hook you doesn't make it a shit game.

2) It just came out in the wrong universe

Imagine that from day one the Wii had a barrage of amazing software. Great hardcore games using the wiimote pointer for aiming, good motion control and online capabilities.
In that scenario, Deadly Creatures could have found its audience.

The fact that the game didn't find an audience doesn't make it a shit game.

But no. Deadly Creatures came around at a time when there wasnt almost no good games coming out for the wii. At all. And then, the ONE and ONLY hardcore game out there.... is about a spider and a scorpion.

Really, thats insulting

The fact that you're more interested in validating console choice than just playing a game doesn't make it a shit game.

And then, in the end of the day, we have the PR lie.

THQ guy says -"You know, Deadly Creatures is the best game ever made by man, it almost makes us closer to God, and yet it floped on the Wii. This could only mean that this twisted Wii users dont want any amazing perfect games. We´re making minigames now"

The fact that you invent quotes doesn't make it a shit game.

cacildo

Stumpokapow said:
... the fact that the game didn't hook you doesn't make it a shit game.

The fact that you're more interested in validating console choice than just playing a game doesn't make it a shit game.

So buy yourself a copy

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah Capcom I think has the best overall lineup. Yes, it includes some ports but those ports happen to be great games. i currently have 4 Capcom games, am interested in another (TvC), and will definitely be picking up MH Tri.

Sir Johnny

Neo Member
schuelma said:
Yeah Capcom I think has the best overall lineup. Yes, it includes some ports but those ports happen to be great games. i currently have 4 Capcom games, am interested in another (TvC), and will definitely be picking up MH Tri.

Yes. Despite some (weird) missteps here and there, Capcom has always been the best 3rd party for the Wii. Now, could they just concentrate a little more and stop offering stuff like chronicles and archives...

Stumpokapow said:
Capcom's list, by the way, would be good, good, shit, good, good, good, good, good, good, shit, good, good, shit, good, good... unless you went mental and called games shit just because you wanted something else from them. That's a better ratio than I'd give virtually any publisher on virtually any platform.
RE4: good
RE:UC: good and not what I'm looking for but I'll bite
DR:CTYD: what?
RE0: if I didn't have it already on gamecube
RE1: ditto
RE:DSC: I told you I wasn't really interested
Zach and Wiki: who was supposed to buy this?
Harvey Birdman: awesomesauce
Neopets: wut?
Moto GP: shovelcrap?
Pangya: if you like golf I guess
Okami: didn't that game that fail to sell on PS2?
Spyborgs: you say there isn't a TV show for this? how's the marketing supposed to work?
Tatsunoko Vs Capcom: awesomeness
MH3: oooh shiny.

Good lineup overall though.

edit: Fixed for readability

cacildo

schuelma said:

2j4a8fq.jpg

I dont know, man.
The Resident Evil 0 and 1 ports are just as insulting as a minigame collection.
They´re exactly the same games as released on Game Cube, only more expensive. Its a bizarre decision.
Resident Evil 4 at least had some decent wii controls.

The Resident Evil on rails series left everybody with a bad taste in the mouth. The first one was ok, but the second one was a stupid idea since everybody was already bashing On Rails games. Worse, it is horrible as a game, because of the camera shaking non stop.

However, Tatsunoko and Monster Hunter tri shows a new direction for Capcom on wii.

The good: MH3 + Tatsunoko + the fact that capcom didnt shoved the market with minigames

The bad: Bad ports, useless ports, spyborgs and the "The wii cant handle more than 5 zombies per screen" statement

schuelma said:
I'm not big on fighters really, but I'm very glad that I picked up TvC. I certainly encourage you to do the same.

Anyway, I noticed that approximately half my Wii library is made up of third-party games. The worst one in my opinion is probably Need For Speed Carbon (or REUC).

And yes, I own Deadly Creatures, and no, it is not shit.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
cacildo said:
Yes. Finished it once

Now i didnt like the game. It has some qualities, along with some really annoying problems. But everything just loses relevance when you get to analyse the the big picture

What´s the big picture? Its On rails. Its a spin off of a series that only have "real games" in the HD systens

Its an on rails spin off!!!

That means we´re still, as wii owners, been treated like shit

uhhh I liked it

and stop equating "on rails" with "shit". You can argue it's a niche genre, which is true, but you can't argue the entire genre's premise is shit.

also, I have a lot of problems with your ratings on those walls, especially Ubisoft's.

On the subject of those walls, they illustrate that Capcom, Sega, EA, and to a lesser extent Ubisoft and Activision have done a pretty good job on the Wii. It's companies like THQ (de Blob and Deadly Creatues notwithstanding), Majesco (A Boy and His Blob notwithstanding) and Zoo Games (nothing notwithstanding) that are consistently flooding the Wii market with shit.

[edit] Take-Two is a culprit as well. Konami and Square-Enix fall under the "to a lesser extent" category.

D.Lo

Stumpokapow said:
It wasn't shit but it was very, very niche in appeal. The creepy crawly factor was pretty cool to me but I know people that absolutely hated the idea.

Stumpokapow said:
Really don't know what that had to do with what you quoted. What he's saying is that what deadly creatures represented was shit (only throwing it a super-niche under promoted hard sell), even if the game wasn't.

Stumpokapow said:
It's an obvious exaggeration of a real quote.

schuelma said:
Sega IMO, Capcom definitely second. TVC and MH3 alone get them there. Even MH3 alone actually, a genuine next-gen sequel.

But they also deserve a bitch slap for all the 'tests', rail-shooters and insulting ports (Re1 and 0 and DR, and rushed outsourced Okami).

cooljeanius said:
I'd like to question giving the label of "shit" to Deadly Creatures, Dewy's Adventure, and Rabbids Go Home.
I think the addition of a label that implies 'well the game itself is okay for what it is but reaaaaaly not what we wanted' would sort out a lot of this argument.

But even though, say, Dewy was an okay game, who thought it was a good idea to make? Would anyone have chosen it to be made over, say, a Wii Castlevania or Goemon platformer? Where's the market for super-cutesy but hard as nails marble rolling games? And would you be happy to spend $50 on it? The same price as Mario Galaxy on the next shelf?

That said, I would kill youngings for a proper Elebits/Eledees sequel. That game was insane bliss on a disc.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Danthrax said:
On the subject of those walls, they illustrate that Capcom, Sega, EA, and to a lesser extent Ubisoft and Activision have done a pretty good job on the Wii. .

I think you're being too kind to Ubi. Their shit to quality ratio on the Wii is ridiculous. They wonder why Rabbids Go Home doesn't sell millions when they put out 10 TV show adapation crap fests at the same time for 30 bucks each.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
schuelma said:
I think you're being too kind to Ubi. Their shit to quality ratio on the Wii is ridiculous. They wonder why Rabbids Go Home doesn't sell millions when they put out 10 TV show adapation crap fests at the same time for 30 bucks each.

The ratio is awful, definitely, I agree. But they DO have a lot of decent-to-great games on their wall, so I can't totally throw them under the bus.

And I thought it was universally understood that all the Rabbids games were pretty good.

Danthrax said:
The ratio is awful, definitely, I agree. But they DO have an awful lot of decent-to-great games on their wall, so I can't totally throw them under the bus.

And I thought it was universally understood that all the Rabbids games were pretty good.

They're decent, but the rate they put them out is very off putting.
The Wii base doesn't buy sequels in drolls like the Madden fans do.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
D.Lo said:
It wasn't shit but it was very, very niche in appeal. The creepy crawly factor was pretty cool to me but I know people that absolutely hated the idea.

And this doesn't speak anything to quality. Tropico 3 isn't for everyone either, which is why people who self-evidently aren't going to like it shouldn't buy it and people who are going to like it should. I don't give a fuck about skateboarding which is why I basically skipped skate and skate 2, but for people that the concept appeals to, it's a good game. If the one line pitch of "It's an action game like God of War, except you play as a Spider and a Scorpion" grosses you out, don't play the game. None of this makes these games less good.

Really don't know what that had to do with what you quoted. What he's saying is that what deadly creatures represented was shit (only throwing it a super-niche under promoted hard sell), even if the game wasn't.

Since I own every console and don't give a shit about whether publishers are being meanie weanie to poor Wii owners, I correspondingly don't give a shit if games are advertised or not. I buy games I'm interested in. Deadly Creatures is not a shit game.

I think the addition of a label that implies 'well the game itself is okay for what it is but reaaaaaly not what we wanted' would sort out a lot of this argument.

If "we wanted" means the collective body of Go Nintendo readers, then I don't care what they want. Publishers should try to release good games. If the good games are targeted at me, that's great. If they're targeted at someone else, that's great too although I probably won't necessarily buy them.

If your idea of what publishers should do is "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME", there's really no reason to try to analyze publisher output as if you're making a point about the quality of games as a whole.

But even though, say, Dewy was an okay game, who thought it was a good idea to make? Would anyone have chosen it to be made over, say, a Wii Castlevania or Goemon platformer?

Well, see, both 3d Castlevania games were--in my opinion--pretty underwhelming, so, yeah, I'd have chosen a fun new IP like Dewy over a new 3d Castlevania.

Where's the market for super-cutesy but hard as nails marble rolling games? And would you be happy to spend $50 on it?

I can't remember what I paid for Kororinpa or Mercury Meltdown Revolution but evidently in both cases I thought they were worth their asking prices. Given that Kororinpa got a sequel, I'd guess the market for it was sufficient.

farnham

Banned
cacildo said:
CapcomWallOfShame.jpg

I dont know, man.
The Resident Evil 0 and 1 ports are just as insulting as a minigame collection.
They´re exactly the same games as released on Game Cube, only more expensive. Its a bizarre decision.
Resident Evil 4 at least had some decent wii controls.

The Resident Evil on rails series left everybody with a bad taste in the mouth. The first one was ok, but the second one was a stupid idea since everybody was already bashing On Rails games. Worse, it is horrible as a game, because of the camera shaking non stop.

However, Tatsunoko and Monster Hunter tri shows a new direction for Capcom on wii.

The good: MH3 + Tatsunoko + the fact that capcom didnt shoved the market with minigames

The bad: Bad ports, useless ports, spyborgs and the "The wii cant handle more than 5 zombies per screen" statement
REmake and RE0 dont interest me personally. but both games are really good even now.. so if someone didnt play the game.. for them its probably a decent game while some of the mini game collections are bad period.. the on rails games are fanservice and for anyone that liked the resident evil storyline they are a good compilation.. and those games arent horrible.. they are actually quite good as onrail games..

cacildo

Stumpokapow said:

My angry friend, understand this:

With the walls we´re judging publishers more than games here.

Do you think its fair for THQ to say that since nobody wanted Deadly Creatures there´s no hardcore market on the wii and that nobody should ever try to make a mature wii game again?

PRO TIP: it isnt fair. In fact, it is another PR lie

Kunan

Here's my take:

The only reason publishers say the Wii market is unpredictable is to keep shareholders off their back about developing Wii games. They don't want to take the risk (and that's fine, it's their decision), and the best way to cool the jets of the shareholders screaming for a slice of the Wii pie is to say its dangerously unpredictable. The fact that so many people on GAF buy into it is just due to the large amount of people who can't see past the title of an article or thread, let alone the complete picture of anything. It is still a game of marketing + good developer + great branding that drives third party sales on the Wii, just like PS3 and 360.

wazoo

AceBandage said:
They're decent, but the rate they put them out is very off putting.
The Wii base doesn't buy sequels in drolls like the Madden fans do.

The Wii Rabbids games are not the good example for your argument. Each Rabbids game is a million seller. And, the last one, RAbbids go home will do it in the long run.

Sadist

You need to calm down Calcido.

If you're interested:

EA's wall of Wii games

And for good meassure, if we look at the Metacritic ratings: of these 60 titels, only 20 of them have a metascore of 75 or higher. This includes mostly sportsgames (excluding NBA Live, NCAA) and games like Boom Blox, Rock Band, Dead Space Extraction, The Godfather Blackhand Edition and a few others.

Penguin

cacildo said:
My angry friend, understand this:

With the walls we´re judging publishers more than games here.

Do you think its fair for THQ to say that since nobody wanted Deadly Creatures there´s no hardcore market on the wii and that nobody should ever try to make a mature wii game again?

PRO TIP: it isnt fair. In fact, it is another PR lie

Has THQ actually said that though?

And I happen to enjoy Deadly Creatures, which is why I think a more objective system for labeling the walls would have made sense because not every game is gonna be liked by everyone.

Penguin said:

And I happen to enjoy Deadly Creatures, which is why I think a more objective system for labeling the walls would have made sense because not every game is gonna be liked by everyone.

yes I think they did. we had thread about it not so long ago. Here it is. They could have put sr2 or new saints raw and it might sold way lot more.

THQ core casual nintendo

Penguin said:

No, but there are games that are not going to appeal to the majority, which I believe is the point of the wall.
Deadly Creatures certainly fits into the category of "Probably won't be liked by many people." due to many reasons.
Setting, production values, gameplay, shovelware boxart, stuff like that.

I mean, a game can be good and bad at the same time.
It can be good for those that like it but so bad for those than don't.
This is why we have niche games and casual games. Each appeal to a completely different segment of the industry and it's very very rare that one can spill into the other.

As for the THQ quote:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387840

IGN: All right, let's switch focus a bit. THQ was one of the first and biggest third-party backers of Wii and you guys gambled with original licenses like de Blob and Deadly Creatures. The latter was a T-rated game that flopped. Why do you think T and M-rated titles like these haven't found an audience on Nintendo's platform?

Brian Farrell: Yeah, it's the audience. I'm glad we made the experience. Deadly Creatures was a fun experience. Critically well-reviewed. Didn't find much of an audience and I think more of the core-gaming audience is on 360 and PS3. I know Nintendo doesn't like that message. I'm a huge fan of Nintendo personally, but that's just not where the audience is or the audience there is fairly limited. The old guys like me and maybe you will still play the core stuff -- all the stuff we love about Nintendo on the Wii. But we don't branch out and play some of the core experiences on the Wii. If we do, we go HD and play on PS3 or 360.

Which is, of course, ignorant.
The game would not have found an audience on the PS3/360.

Penguin

Okay, I stand corrected than I'm sorry.

I don't know if reverse port bragging is bannable, but if THQ is so sure that core audiences would buy it, why not put it on PS360 and see how well it sells then.

cacildo

Kunan said:
Here's my take:

The only reason publishers say the Wii market is unpredictable is to keep shareholders off their back about developing Wii games. They don't want to take the risk (and that's fine, it's their decision), and the best way to cool the jets of the shareholders screaming for a slice of the Wii pie is to say its dangerously unpredictable. The fact that so many people on GAF buy into it is just due to the large amount of people who can't see past the title of an article or thread, let alone the complete picture of anything. It is still a game of marketing + good developer + great branding that drives third party sales on the Wii, just like PS3 and 360.

That´s a good explanation.

because in the end, it all comes down to the fact that publishers are lying to us.

They know that they release mostly crappy games.
They know they release niche games, with no advertising.

And when these games obviously fails they go slamming doors and saying "You see? Hardcore dont sell on wii!!!! Nobody should never ever make another mature game for the wii!!!"

They´re lying,
and the above reply from Kunan maybe explains the reasons for that.

Cipherr

Penguin said:
Okay, I stand corrected than I'm sorry.

I don't know if reverse port bragging is bannable, but if THQ is so sure that core audiences would buy it, why not put it on PS360 and see how well it sells then.

They arent retarded, they know very well that DC wouldnt sell on the PS360 either. Seriously..... The majority of these guys are well educated men and women, the recognize the obvious, the front is for PR purposes alone.

I'm doing my part. I hate this vicious cycle, but it is circular logic that the publishers use.

If there are no hardcore games, then they don't sell!

The hardcore games don't sell, so we won't make them!

The hardcore market doesn't exist! See, we were right not to make the games!

Puncture said:
They arent retarded, they know very well that DC wouldnt sell on the PS360 either. Seriously..... The majority of these guys are well educated men and women, the recognize the obvious, the front is for PR purposes alone.
It's just trolling.

Penguin

That's another thing I've always wondered is how did the whole hardcore/casual division come about?

I mean if not mistaken both Zelda and Red Steel sold well at launch, but within the first few months it became that hardcore games don't sell on the Wii, and only mini-game collection. Was there ever any actual evidence to that? Like I can hardly remember the Wii's launch, but would be certain Red Steel, Zelda and Raving Rabbids were the biggest winners of launch.

Top Bottom