• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This guy does the best SNES music covers w real instruments

dickroach

i-Lo

Just listened to his tremendous arrangement for FFIV love theme.

And subscribed. Thanks for bring him to our attention.

I stumbled across this on youtube a few weeks ago. I've listened to a bunch of the tracks multiple times, and they're great. just posting it because I think it stinks he's only getting a few hundred views per video for what seems like a good amount of work

FF6 - Phantom Forest, Searching For Friends, Epitaph, Gau's Theme

FF5 - Home Sweet Home, The Decisive Battle

LTTP - Kakariko Village, Lost Woods, Credits

there's others from FF, Chrono Trigger Secret of Mana, Lufia, Mega Man.

I'm give these a listen later. Love vg music in YouTube.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
When I listen to the guy's Chrono Trigger covers, this is what I envision an up-to-date soundtrack for 8/16-bit era game remake. It seems like remakes always screw things up by doing weird takes on classics, and.or not giving the main melody enough presence in the overall composition. Really, all I ask is for sensible, passionate takes, at least for games like CT.

Like, if that C&D'd 3D Chrono Trigger remake was to come back from the dead and be made by Square Enix, I'd want them to hire this guy to do the soundtrack. It alone would make the remake worthwhile.

Brandson

Wow this is better than a lot of officially arranged soundtracks. Great stuff. Mega Man and Actraiser are both very well done.

Some damn fine work there---hope this channel takes off and he's able to attack a wide range of the greats and the buried gems that folks have slept on.

His videos are fantastic but I wish he could incorporate even more instruments, some of the tracks feel a little thin. I'm sure this is probably intentional, but personally I'd like to see some people helping him.

Oh man, "Phantom Forest" is fucking beautiful. I've always loved that track, and it's being done absolute justice here. It retains that airy, mysterious quality.

Great Guy

Thx for linking. Gonna listen to all these and hope for some more FFV pieces. I can listen to that ost over and over.

jett

D-Member
That's some nice music. I like how he has made the effort to make the instruments chosen sound as close to the original music, heh. It's good stuff. As far as one-man bands on youtube go this guy is up there.

I mean this piece from Actraiser is just impressive. It sounds so close to the original, and yet obviously not since it's all real instruments. It's like how it sounds in my nostalgia memory banks. :p

Listening to this extensive arrangement of Frog's theme from Chrono Trigger makes me wish he flexed his creative muscles more often as well. That's just great.

What's the first instrument shown in Phantom Forest called? I've always liked that sound when I hear it, but never know what it is.

I wish I knew more about instruments :(.

jb1234

What's the first instrument shown in Phantom Forest called? I've always liked that sound when I hear it, but never know what it is.

I wish I knew more about instruments :(.

It's not an instrument used in a standard orchestra. I think it's an early music (Medieval or Renaissance eras) instrument of some kind but not sure exactly which one.

Edit: A viola da gamba, I think.

lcbrus

Actraiser was amazing! It brought back so many memories.

I'd love to hear some orchestrated Castlevania 4 tracks.

Top Bottom