• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This guy does the best SNES music covers w real instruments

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Sent the guy a message earlier. Here's what he replied:

"Thanks! It means a lot to me to find other people that feel the same way I do about these classics. I know what you mean about other remixes trying to go too far, I think the arrangements used in the originals are such an integral part of the feeling that you have to keep it intact (or at least know what you're doing when you modify it).

Also whatever you're doing to promote the channel seems to be working, I've got a deluge of notifications from Youtube! Thanks a lot!

Let me know if you have any requests or any other comments, and I'll do my best to make them happen!
"

I replied that I wasn't the one responsible for all the attention, and pointed him to this thread. So he'll probably be reading this page shortly :).

It's not an instrument used in a standard orchestra. I think it's an early music (Medieval or Renaissance eras) instrument of some kind but not sure exactly which one.

Edit: A viola da gamba, I think.
Thanks! It seems that's what it is.

It seems like such a perfect horror soundtrack instrument <3.

Sent the guy a message earlier. Here's what he replied:

"Thanks! It means a lot to me to find other people that feel the same way I do about these classics. I know what you mean about other remixes trying to go too far, I think the arrangements used in the originals are such an integral part of the feeling that you have to keep it intact (or at least know what you're doing when you modify it).

Also whatever you're doing to promote the channel seems to be working, I've got a deluge of notifications from Youtube! Thanks a lot!

Let me know if you have any requests or any other comments, and I'll do my best to make them happen!
"

I replied that I wasn't the one responsible for all the attention, and pointed him to this thread. So he'll probably be reading this page shortly :).
I appreciate how close he's sticking to the source material, honestly. It's transcendent nostalgia. Hearing all these tracks with real instruments is the main draw for me.

God, I can't stop listening to Phantom Forest. I'm in love.

Phantom Forest is so good. Now I gotta check the others.

Sounds exactly like the original version played in the game, just with real instruments. Awesome.

I really would've loved to see more of this type of thing back in the day. Usually arranged albums go totally out there, which I don't blame the composers and arrangers for wanting to experiment, but sometimes I just wanna hear my classic songs as if they were done with real instruments. I think the closest the Black Mages version of Those Who Fight Further, and even that one wasn't perfect.

I remember walking one day and thinking of FFVI's Devil's Lab theme, with its industrial rhythm and wondered how it could be done with real instruments without taking too many liberties in veering away form the original sound, and how cool it would be to that one day.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
A message from Andrew Thompson, the guy himself:

"The forum thread is quite flattering! It seems a little silly for me to make an account just to say thanks, but please give them my regards, and if people have more questions I'll sign up and answer them!"

Ok these are amazing. They are incredibly close to the original, but with that added depth of real instruments and live performance. Thanks for introducing me to this guys channel.

Falk

that puzzling face
because I think it stinks he's only getting a few hundred views per video for what seems like a good amount of work

That's just the way it is for countless talented people out there. The viral age is quite the fickle one. You just play your part by making threads like these.

He's very good.

And dedicated.

Have asked him if there's any way we can buy or download these tracks, lossless if possible. Absolutely superb.

Not that simple, copyright law and such. Best to go through an entity which specializes in it, which there are quite a few. Materia Collective being the latest hot thing. I'd say if that were the case the production value would need a little more work too, but hey, I'm picky and OCD. :)

Spladam

Thanks for showing me this OP, the last thread you're ever going to make turned out to be a good one. Congrats dude.

-Edit: Orchestral Fantasy dude, if you're reading this, you're awesome. Been remixing video game music in midi for years, you're taking it to a whole other level. You and Smooth McGrooves are the best there are. Also, if you don't already post your music on OCremix.org, I would highly recommend that, they are a great community and would love your work.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thanks for sharing this. Will have to remember to subscribe when I get home (I rarely subscribe to YouTube channels)

Falk

that puzzling face
Also, if you don't already post your music on OCremix.org, I would highly recommend that, they are a great community and would love your work.

Unless something has changed in the past 5 years or so, stuff like this is likely to be rejected on OCR on grounds of 'not being different enough from the original'.

Pejo

Just made it through most of the playlist. His Secret of Mana and Actraiser stuff was amazing. So much nostalgia.

Ifs he is reading this I would suggest a video where he just talks about the instruments he plays, gives us some info on them (not like all of us are infomred there) and that makes it fun to hear his views on what he plays for me. I'd love that, just a simple video where he talks about what he does, how he got there and gives some nice stories to his time learning them etc

Hope he can do something like that along with whatever music he enjoys.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Ifs he is reading this I would suggest a video where he just talks about the instruments he plays, gives us some info on them (not like all of us are infomred there) and that makes it fun to hear his views on what he plays for me. I'd love that, just a simple video where he talks about what he does, how he got there and gives some nice stories to his time learning them etc

Hope he can do something like that along with whatever music he enjoys.

The Q&A video I posted above talks about the instruments he uses.

The quality of content this guy makes compared to his average views is heartbreaking. Dude makes some seriously good stuff. Cant imagine all the time it takes to learn all these instruments as well as he has

Spladam

Unless something has changed in the past 5 years or so, stuff like this is likely to be rejected on OCR on grounds of 'not being different enough from the original'.
Yeah, I forgot about that caveat, I messaged him and he confirmed that saying he had submitted some music a while back and had not heard back from them.

Also, I humbly suggested a request for FF6's Terra's theme, on of my three favorite pieces of game music ever, and he said it was in the works. Parts of it were already recorded, but he has to find a replacement for or repair his tenor banjo, which he broke the non standard head on. Regardless, I'm looking forward to that recording.

ColdPizza

Banned
Man, that Phantom Forest is making me nostalgia real hard right now....

edit: good god, Lost Woods from LTTP....i'm stunned

The quality of content this guy makes compared to his average views is heartbreaking. Dude makes some seriously good stuff. Cant imagine all the time it takes to learn all these instruments as well as he has

on his latest video he mentioned he has a patreon now so you can reimburse him for the entertainment he provides you

Top Bottom