• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"this is my hole... it was made for me..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junji Ito is awesome. Probably one of the few consistently good horror mangakas. I really need to find more of his one shots since this was pretty much the only one I read.

Quagm1r3

I took the time to click full size on each panel and I'm glad I did, but at the same time not so glad; that was fucking CREEPY!!!

Good story, worth the post.

Flek

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Junji Ito is awesome. Probably one of the few consistently good horror mangakas. I really need to find more of his one shots since this was pretty much the only one I read.

he is i have every book from him and love every single one of them :O

Pimpwerx

Oh wait...I thought this was a Tiger Woods thread. ;) Yeah, Enigma at Amigara Fault is one I read recently. It's a fun little read. PEACE.

bjork

This is almost as messed up as that manga where the guy is collecting polaroids of blowjobs he's gotten from various people/cats/etc.

Also I LOVE IT WHEN THE TEXT IS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE YELLING IS FUCKING RAD, MAN

7Th

bjork said:
This is almost as messed up as that manga where the guy is collecting polaroids of blowjobs he's gotten from various people/cats/etc.

Also I LOVE IT WHEN THE TEXT IS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE YELLING IS FUCKING RAD, MAN

Shintaro Kago's work belongs in a genre of its own. :lol

Teknoman

Veritas_ said:
That was awesome, gave me some flashbacks of Slender-Man.

Chapter 3 is kind of off:

b4ajd1.jpg

LogicStep

That was really good, thanks for sharing. I will have to check out this author's other works. Are they good/worth checking out?

border

Strangely compelling, but the ending is just incredibly stupid :lol

Up until that point it kinda reminded me of the movie Picnic at Hanging Rock.....strange and mysterious. Then the final panel comes and it reminds you of Paranormal Activity (
RAWR A MONSTER IN YOUR FACE
).

ILikeFeet

Banned
border said:

Up until that point it kinda reminded me of the movie Picnic at Hanging Rock.....strange and mysterious. Then the final panel comes and it reminds you of Paranormal Activity (
RAWR A MONSTER IN YOUR FACE
).

true, the ending was kind of "wtf" in a bad way.

Skittleguy said:

this is "wtf" in a good way though :lol

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
This always makes me laugh hmm....I have a bunch of his one-shots sitting here. Maybe I'll finally read 'em.

speculawyer said:
Image 1 of 33

A short comic is 1 panel. Maybe 2 or 3.

You should check out Short Cuts and Palepoli by Usamaru Furuya. Really great 1-2 page manga, sometimes funny, sometimes creepy, sometimes both.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I knew what this was before I clicked the thread. My favorite short of his.

I have to contend Gyo's greatness, though. Certainly it has some great moments along the way but it feels like it was building up to something and then... it just doesn't. Open-ended endings can be cool when handled right, but there it felt distinctly like it was written into a corner and just opted for the cheap way out.

And then on the other hand, you have Uzumaki, which was awesome as a series of tangentially-related short stories, then went to shit when it attempted to wrap itself up with this big long sweeping finale.

It really feels like the endings of those series got mixed up somehow, each one's approach fit the other series' preceding narrative far better than it's own. Gyo should have had the long conclusive finale, Uzumaki could have trailed off and been none the worse for wear.

Aww, I thought this was a Dougles Adams thread.

Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.'

nestea

So I guess I just realized this is my first time reading a manga and I read the first couple pages from left to right and was very confused.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
NomarTyme said:
Uzumaki is creepy as fuck too. Jeebus, why am I reading these manga?

Had nightmares with the one with -

The Mothers who eat their children

Creeped the fuck out of me. Still bugs me remembering it.

Momo

Banned
I got a few people to read Gyo, the loved it.

Slightly off topic post, how do you guys feel about Gantz?

Momo

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I like it. It's kind of dumb but I like the characters.
looks like I forgot the "y"

Yeah, it's stupid as hell but there are/were a few things in the manga that creeped me out :x

Momo said:
I got a few people to read Gyo, the loved it.

Slightly off topic post, how do you guys feel about Gantz?

I loved it while I was watching it. I hated how they pretty much never bothered to explain it though

Momo

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
I loved it while I was watching it. I hated how they pretty much never bothered to explain it though
Read the manga, the anime wont answer anything for you, there are some laughable plot points... well when Oku bothers with plot, but it's the only way to go with Gantz.

KAOz

Short bus special
I highly recommend "Seeds of Anxiety" (Fuan No Tane) aswell, by some dude calld Nakayama Masaaki (I think).

It's a series of really short, short-stories, and most often without any sort of explenation or proper ending. It's amazing and everyone should check it out.

2dl2bl.jpg

Jex

Shig said:
I knew what this was before I clicked the thread. My favorite short of his.

I have to contend Gyo's greatness, though. Certainly it has some great moments along the way but it feels like it was building up to something and then... it just doesn't. Open-ended endings can be cool when handled right, but there it felt distinctly like it was written into a corner and just opted for the cheap way out.

And then on the other hand, you have Uzumaki, which was awesome as a series of tangentially-related short stories, then went to shit when it attempted to wrap itself up with this big long sweeping finale.

It really feels like the endings of those series got mixed up somehow, each one's approach fit the other series' preceding narrative far better than it's own. Gyo should have had the long conclusive finale, Uzumaki could have trailed off and been none the worse for wear.

Uzumaki has a wierd, wierd excellent but I thought it was perfectly fine.
I mean, there is literally nothing that can be done against the wierd influence and it pretty much gets worse for everyone involved as it goes on.
Which is fairly fitting.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
border said:

Up until that point it kinda reminded me of the movie Picnic at Hanging Rock.....strange and mysterious.
That's what I was thinking of.
"Waiting a million years, just for us..."

I didn't really mind the ending. The image is perhaps a little silly, but if you really think about the idea it's pretty terrifying. Gets under your skin.

bjork

KAOz said:
I highly recommend "Seeds of Anxiety" (Fuan No Tane) aswell, by some dude calld Nakayama Masaaki (I think).

It's a series of really short, short-stories, and most often without any sort of explenation or proper ending. It's amazing and everyone should check it out.

This is really good. Restored balance in my mind after that concrete girl.

H.P. Lovecraft would've approved.

Well, he would have if racism wasn't in vogue during his lifetime, but beyond that I think he would have loved this story (I'm sure he would've probably got a kick out of "Orientals" from "the mysterious East" enjoying his works and citing him as an influence too :D). The herd mentality/indirect peer pressure (the concept that one of the "Punishment Holes" was made specifically for the person and subsequent hysteria to crawl into one once the second guy did), the claustrophobia of being trapped in a body-exact hole deep in the ground the story instills in the reader,
the body transformation horror
at the end, are all points I think he would appreciate from the story (and ones I do as well).

Two points I feel are slightly weak are, as others pointed out, the ending feels rather abrupt (reminded me of the old-school "Tales of the Crypt" style horror comics we used to have in the US before the Comic Code.
Would've loved "The Thing" crawling out of the other side and weakly calling out something like "Yoshida! Yoshida, I'm here, I made it! You don't have to be alone anymore..." before collapsing and expiring
, I feel that would've made the story resonate more with the reader) and I would've liked a more visceral, "walk-through" if you will,
of the thoughts and feelings of someone going through one of the holes
. I don't feel he took the dream/flashback foreshadowing far enough for it to be really effective, IMHO (not give away the ending, of course, but build up to it more). Of course, it could have lost something in the translation.

Jex

KAOz said:

2dl2bl.jpg

Now we're talking, good stuff.

7Th said:
Junji Ito's works always make for a fun read... but I wouldn't really consider them as part of the "horror" genre, they're more like eccentric fairy tales with peculiar imagery.
Really disagree, Museum of Terror/Tomie are fully in the crazy horror genre. Really damn creppy & entertaining, love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom