• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is Phil Fish

Critical acclaim doesn't mean much. Hell, the AC franchise is universally loved by critics. It's still boring as shit game design with terrible narrative. His point is still valid, he doesn't like Japanese games.

Note: I'm not agreeing with Fish, I love many Japanese games, I'm just pointing out that you said something pretty pointless.

He wasn't giving an opinion, he was making a general statement of quality. "I don't like Japanese games" is a personal opinion. "Your games suck" and "Your country's games are fucking terrible" are general assertions.

Occam

Phil Fish got treated the way he did because of the way he treated others. That's probably all there is to it. Whoever was responsible for his upbringing seemingly failed to teach him a modicum of tact, respect and manners. Internet fame just amplified this.

Guess Who

Banned
He wasn't giving an opinion, he was making a general statement of quality. "I don't like Japanese games" is a personal opinion. "Your games suck" and "Your country's games are fucking terrible" are general assertions.

What a load of pedantic bullshit. If I say "Mario games suck", there's an obvious implied "I think" at the beginning of it. You don't have to preface every statement with "I think/don't think" or "I like/don't like" for people to understand it's your personal opinion.

daxy

People read too much into Phil Fish's comments and feel personally offended when he says things, and his opinion matters because he speaks for all of us apparently. That's why we have to rag on him time and again, so he doesn't forget and has no way out but to be more of an asshole to us, thereby exposing exactly that side of him we want to see, and not Phil Fish the talented and creative designer.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah news is not news, people don't want news. Olds is news, people want their biases confirmed, not challenged. The press is hugely at fault here. We ourselves too.

I watched the whole thing as it turned out to be a lot more thoughtless and interesting than I expected.

My impression of Phil Fish was that he was a game that made an indie and got internet/gamer famous for it along with the indie movie. I wouldn't really call him a massive asshole, I would just said he didn't have much of a filter and people without filters tend to get this kind of treatment unless they're a person like Simon Cowell in which that asshole personality is what he relishes and the public understands that.

I feel bad for the guy though that he basically had to go bunker down and practically disappear in order to have a 'normal' life again.

Shinta

Banned
What a load of pedantic bullshit. If I say "Mario games suck", there's an obvious implied "I think" at the beginning of it. You don't have to preface every statement with "I think/don't think" or "I like/don't like" for people to understand it's your personal opinion.

What if you say it at GDC, when speaking to a Japanese developer, at a conference attended by your peers? You are trying to state it as a fact. His argument is that they are objectively inferior games. His argument is that the entire nation has been left behind because they are worse at game design.

How many people discussing personal opinions at GDC go home and have nightmares? The guy he humiliated did. It was not professional, and not an appropriate way to engage with one of your peers asking a polite question at a developer conference, right after he just complimented Fish's work.

valouris

Phil Fish got treated the way he did because of the way he treated others. That's probably all there is to it. Whoever was responsible for his upbringing seemingly failed to teach him a modicum of tact, respect and manners. Internet fame just amplified this.

We see hundreds of thousands of ignorant and hateful posts in the internet, I don't see a mob rushing to treat/lynch every single one of the posters. We all say stupid stuff on the internet and in real life too all the time, i don't think it has anything to do with upbringing or tact, respect and manners. Those are things lacking from the vast majority of the population in current society (sadly). The difference is he was sub-culturally famous and non-anonymous on the internet. He was too easy of a target, and the responses ticked him off even more, leading to more hate from both sides.

What if you say it at GDC, when speaking to a Japanese developer, at a conference attended by your peers? You are trying to state it as a fact. His argument is that they are objectively inferior games. His argument is that the entire nation has been left behind because they are worse at game design.

See, I get what you mean, in that environment and position he should have definitely acted more thoughtfully. But the bolded part is just your words now. Opinions are subjective by definition.

a.wd

Great video, very salient points and a very serious identification of the perils of being on the internet and not being part of the "herd".

Please watch, its sad that this will probably only get to 10 pages tops when some of the more inane shit will be viewed by the whole forum.

Guess Who

Banned

He was asked what he, personally, thought of Japanese games. He gave his personal opinion.

Shinta

Banned
But the bolded part is just your words now. Opinions are subjective by definition.
He said "we are kicking your ass." So he drew the division along racial lines, and then said that collectively western design is objectively superior for reasons x and y, and then used sales as the proof. That is all fully implied. And it was delivered in such a blunt and rude way that the whole audience gasped, and the guy he humiliated literally had nightmares that night.

He didn't take it as "just his opinion," and more importantly, this was the prevailing opinion pushed in the media for 7 years at that point as a fact.

coldzero2006

Neo Member
I've never had a strong opinion either way on Phil, this was a well balanced and presented video and does put 'Phil' in context, enjoyed that :)

Don't really care for Philip Fish,

Watched the video there are too many premises/assumptions made.

Don't necessarily agree with being able to read into the intention of someone writing a tweet to nickleback then replacing it with something that would Fit their view on fame/success.

Don't agree necessarily that there isn't a prescribed "right" way to act on the internet.

Don't understand why the concept of escalation/reasonableness isn't used when discussing Phil and his conduct.

Do agree with the fact that reporting will most certainly look at a caricature of the person and highlight things that will go to crystallise that, hence the newsworthy negative tweets over others.

Nothing justifies attacking someone personally to be honest. I haven't liked the way he conducts himself so I haven't wanted to enrich him in any way shape or form.

So the video, I almost agree with the messaging but too many things are posited that I just don't agree with.

You dont think that it all started with Fish saying "FUCK YOU FANS" right? Or that some guy on the internet said to Fish "Excuse me sir but i think your game isnt that good." and Phil overreacting to that.

I think Fish isnt that guy who just starts being an asshole.

And the Video stated the obvious because if you look at Kamiya Twitter account... you can see that a japanese guy who does the same isnt treated the same because he isnt as famous as Fish.

maomaoIYP

It's certainly a very very interesting video. Lots of interesting points made.
And yes I do find myself hating Phil Fish, and I'm not even particularly invested in the argument.
"Phil Fish?" - asshole springs to mind
"Jon Blow?" - pretentious springs to mind
I don't know why I feel this way, but yeah.

Kinyou

What bothered me more about the whole "your games suck" thing was how he behaved towards a fellow indie dev. I guess he himself realised that since he tweeted "I'm sorry Japanese guy! I was a bit rough, but your country's games are f*** terrible nowadays." afterwards.

valouris

He said "we are kicking your ass." So he drew the division along racial lines, and then said that collectively western design is objectively superior for reasons x and y, and then used sales as the proof. That is all fully implied. And it was delivered in such a blunt and rude way that the whole audience gasped, and the guy he humiliated literally had nightmares that night.

He didn't take it as "just his opinion," and more importantly, this was the prevailing opinion pushed in the media for 7 years at that point as a fact.

Touche then, but I still don't think that deserves the hate it got, more than the millions of hateful comments posted all around the internet.

I believe I can say that Europe kicks USA's ass in football because of reasons x and y and not receive a barrage of hate. Hell, even a coach can say that in a press conference. Sure, it might tick the USA team and fans the wrong way, but the correct response would be to work hard and prove him the fuck wrong.

Shinta

Banned
Touche then, but I still don't think that deserves the hate it got, more than the millions of hateful comments posted all around the internet.
Yeah, I didn't say it did, and I've never done that personally. I don't even have a twitter account.

Cipherr

How many people discussing personal opinions at GDC go home and have nightmares? The guy he humiliated did. It was not professional, and not an appropriate way to engage with one of your peers asking a polite question at a developer conference, right after he just complimented Fish's work.

Preach....

See, I get what you mean, in that environment and position he should have definitely acted more thoughtfully.

Its very nice that you are willing to at least admit this much.

He was asked what he, personally, thought of Japanese games. He gave his personal opinion.

Shame that you can't.

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why some people were rubbed the wrong way by Fish and the things he said, where he said them and how he said them. Its humorous to watch people try and huddle around it and defend it refusing to give an inch. Pretending to be shocked that anyone anywhere would take offense to such a stupid far reaching generalization delivered in the most unprofessional manner at an event like GDC.

Ridiculous.

No one reasonable is saying that anyone deserves online bullying, but I absolutely respect anyones choice to dislike the guy based on how poorly he represented himself. Its not in any way shocking that there are a lot of people that want nothing to do with him or products he may be involved with. I very rarely would give so much weight to someone that I would deprive myself of a good game just on the principle of not supporting that person; But Fish and Fez is/was one of those times.

Guess Who

Banned
Shame that you can't.

I have never said that his words weren't thoughtless and insulting, simply that they were not presented as some kind of objective fact.

But it's very telling to me how people extrapolate the rest of my opinions based on a few.

When games like Dark Souls, Bayonetta, Mario Galaxy, Monster Hunter, SMT IV, Vanquish, Dragon's Dogma, FXIV ARR and more all come out and garner considerable critical acclaim. When the biggest gameplay developments last generation in platormers, action games, RPGs and third-person shooters were spear headed by Japanese developers. Could you put a list similar to the above comprised solely of UK games? Or games from France?

Japan still punches way above its weight when it comes to a single country producing great games, and Fish made himself look like an utter arse when he dismissed the entire output of a single country. Sure, Japan doesn't match up to the entirety of the Western hemisphere, because then you're grouping together about a dozen countries. It was a stupid comment to make, and clearly untrue when you look at just how many Japanese games recently have come out and garnered huge acclaim.

Yes but maybe he hated every single one of those games. I'm just saying that regardless of the situation or the item in discussion, it is categorically false to try and say that someone's OPINION is 'demonstrably untrue'.

Still not true. 'Your games suck' is an assertion, yes, but it's an assertion based on HIS perception and HIS opinion of those games. Also, he's not obligated to act with self restraint just because he's the face of an industry. I can guarantee you if I personally had any amount of success in an industry and people were paying attention to my tweets/posts/whatever, I would still speak as bluntly and callously as ever, because I have that right, as does he.

He has every right to his opinion, whether it's offensive, dismissive of an entire culture, or what have you, because it's HIS opinion, and you cannot apply strict correct/incorrect values to an opinion.

Hell, he could even come out and say he isn't bothered at all by racism and that it's fine. While that statement would be abhorrent to you and me, and probably most people, he would still have every right to voice that opinion, so long as he wasn't going out and committing hate crimes. He probably wouldn't ever hold public office, mind you, but he'd still have the right to say it, just as he has the right to voice his opinion that Japanese games suck.

Now was what he said insensitive? Sure. Inappropriate? Yup. Disrespectful? Of course. But until we have thought police 1984-style, people are going to say insensitive, hurtful things to other people. They'll burn bridges, lose respect with their audience, etc etc, but they certainly have the right to put their foot in their mouth and voice a distasteful opinion.

Brashnir

This is Phil Fish:

gQj7tCQ.jpg

This is Phil Fish on drugs:

6dkwXNb.jpg

This is Phil Fish on drugs on Ryan Davis:

Any questions?

MrBadger

I do think it's a real shame that discussion about Fez in many places is just dominated by discussion about Phil Fish and how much of an asshole he is. I really liked Fez, but in several places, it's a hard game to discuss. There are many who just dismissed it and a bizarrely popular argument is that it ripped off Super Paper Mario. I'll never get that one.

Why? What point does it illustrate?
The video is partially about how people react to Fish and the concept of internet fandom/infamous-y in general, but also goes into why Fish acts the way he does. I would say a mental disorder that causes erratic mood swings has more relevancy to a video about maintaining public personas than a vague Nickelback comparison (agree with the earlier poster saying this part made way too many assumptions about that band and its fan/hatebase) or the ending point that Fish was a white/straight/cis guy.

Use it as part of a point about how people will ignore certain issues with someone when they want to hate them or something, I don't know, nor do I see why I should be explaining what argument points the creator for a video should've made when I don't agree with most of their points in the first place. I'm just saying that particular aspect would've made a lot more sense to bring up than some of the other reaching stuff they decided to focus on instead.

EDIT:
I do think it's a real shame that discussion about Fez in many places is just dominated by discussion about Phil Fish and how much of an asshole he is. I really liked Fez, but in several places, it's a hard game to discuss. There are many who just dismissed it and a bizarrely popular argument is that it ripped off Super Paper Mario. I'll never get that one.
I've never really seen that argument before, only real thing I've seen people accuse Fez of ripping off is Cave Story since their art styles are superficially similar. Not entirely sure either SPM or Fez is the first game to have a 2D/3D shifting perspective gimmick though, but then neither game's design really hinged solely on that feature either.

People allow for rudeness if they perceive that person to have talent and a back catalogue.

People formed their opinions on Phil before he had even released a game.

I've not played Fez just to say.

General assertions based on his opinion. I think Mexican food fucking sucks. I think that my country kicks their ass in terms of food quality and taste. If I say burritos taste like dick, that's a subjective "general assertion."

It's funny because this is the exact thinking I've had. I've never cared for his personal tweets and shit or why some random person on forum thinks their opinion is even worth anything of [insert subject name here]. I've never bothered to join in discussions or chat which are generally for bashing someone.
I enjoyed FEZ and that's all that matters. Separate the creator from the creation.

NotLiquid

It's a good video and I agree with the premise that we are part of the problem. That said I do not agree with the notion that Phil didn't ask to be famous, because he very much reveled in proving every single naysayer wrong. Didn't he once tweet that he wanted to become an important figurehead of gaming or some sort?

As much of an asshole as Marcus Beer was there is a level of truth in his statements - whether he asked for the fame or not, you can't say you don't see this kind of backlash coming when you act the way you do. You kind of have to think twice about what you say in public light because in the end, people are people, and they will judge you for the things you say. That really doesn't have a lot to do with whether or not you're just "living a normal life". You can very much live a normal life and still have a respectable PR face. Phil made us part of that normal life, and usually in normal life, people will call you out on stupid things you do. Usually it's also normal to forgive and forget, but that's not really something we, or Fish have been wanting to reciprocate, so it's a self-perpetuating cycle.

Personally I'm indifferent about him at this point. But a lot of that has to do with the fact that I don't really care for his game either. It was too confusing for my tastes.

interesting comparison, actually. nobody gives a shit when kamiya tells people to fuck off or talks shit about nintendo for changing bayo's boxart or blocks people for asking him which western games inspired him.

The key difference is that Kamiya doesn't really care whether you play his games, or whether they sell, or whether you have some agenda. He doesn't condone the memes made out of him and he doesn't feed on his persona for notoriety. The most important thing for him is making games, and he doesn't waver in the wake of backlash. Hell when he got the negative press from Kotaku about his lack of knowledge in PC games his response to that was mostly a grumbled indifference despite it making him look bad. He wasn't happy about it but one sentence was all he needed to shut down the conversation.

God... It's almost like this person read my mind and took everything I have ever thought about him and made it into a video. I will never forget that Marcus beer issue. I defended his ass for the same reason of this video. I'm to lazy to find my post but everything that was said in this video is exactly everything I said about him. So glad to know that somewhere out there, someone at least knew exactly what he was and why he at the end of the day is human.

Like Adam Orth, Phil Fish seems to have become immortalised in the gaming media as an example of "this is why the internet is bad, this innocent man got chased out of the industry" when in reality they were both tremendous assholes and deserved their rep. After all, if the phrase most commonly associated with you is "suck my dick, choke on it", you've probably fucked up your PR badly.

Now was what he said insensitive? Sure. Inappropriate? Yup. Disrespectful? Of course. But until we have thought police 1984-style, people are going to say insensitive, hurtful things to other people. They'll burn bridges, lose respect with their audience, etc etc, but they certainly have the right to put their foot in their mouth and voice a distasteful opinion.

You have every right to be as rude and disrespectful as you want, but then you need to either apologise (and not in the 'I'm sorry you got offended' way) or be prepared for people reacting to you with equal disrespect.

He certainly has every right to voice his opinions in any way he sees fit, but so do we.

Tried to watch the video, but I dislike how he goes in circles with his explanations. Also, don't know who Phil Fish is. Like his name though.

EDIT: After reading up on him (not understanding 50% of what I was reading), is insulting people the only thing he did wrong? There better be more to this. I've seen Kamiya insult people a lot, yet folks worships him when he does it.

The video is partially about how people react to Fish and the concept of internet fandom/infamous-y in general, but also goes into why Fish acts the way he does. I would say a mental disorder that causes erratic mood swings has more relevancy to a video about maintaining public personas than a vague Nickelback comparison (agree with the earlier poster saying this part made way too many assumptions about that band and its fan/hatebase) or the ending point that Fish was a white/straight/cis guy.

Use it as part of a point about how people will ignore certain issues with someone when they want to hate them or something, I don't know, nor do I see why I should be explaining what argument points the creator for a video should've made when I don't agree with most of their points in the first place. I'm just saying that particular aspect would've made a lot more sense to bring up than some of the other reaching stuff they decided to focus on instead.

I don't think this guy has access to medical records or could make any qualifiable statements on what was or wasn't an example/result of bipolar behavior and thought. Nickelback worked as a familiar analogue for how the public can acquiesce to fame.

...but yeah, that's true. It's a fair thought that he could have equated Phil Fish's diagnosis reveal as something that can solicit even more hate or psychophobia, the same way that being an ethnic minority, LGBT, or female can. It's kinda meta that the video ends up unintentionally invalidating him in that way.

good video.

also "suck my dick, choke on it" is one of the greatest things any game developer has ever said. hahahahhaa. i always laugh when that's cited.

Top Bottom