• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Japanese magazine news (sponsored by Square Enix)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
wow - they held off announcing FF7 ? I'm guessing this Sony gamers day thing really is going to be megaton central.

DCharlie said:
would prefer FF7-2 - i already know what happens in FF7....

I still think it's happening (a FFVII-2, that is).

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but Kitase said back in '05 that the Compilation of FFVII was going to conclude in a fantastic way, "something that will have the fans excited" but they were keeping it under wraps for the time being due to early development.
Now sure, a big budget FFVII Remake would have most fans shitting out bills, but could that really be the legitimate 'conclusion' to this whole thing? That would make Dirge the last story segment in the series and Crisis Core the last original game in the series. Being that I played Dirge all the way through, it seems like a pretty underwhelming story-conclusion for the whole thing. Most of us have played and beaten FFVII, so a remake would just be satisfying our desires to see it presented in a more attractive manner. Even 'directors cut' additions, IMO, wouldn't be enough to make for a grand conclusion to this compilation.

A big budget FFVII-2 with traditional FF gameplay to wrap everything up seems pretty realistic to me.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but Kitase said back in '05 that the Compilation of FFVII was going to conclude in a fantastic way, "something that will have the fans excited" but they were keeping it under wraps for the time being due to early development.

And not to sound like a broken record myself, but IIRC that quote was a mistranslation, I forget the details though

lupin23rd

TreIII said:
Banpresto's a rather small developing team, that's not exactly swimming in money, though they do have enough to take care of themselves. Why you thought that they were going to immediately jump on the HD/PS3 bandwagon (if you didn't know about SRW OGs already, which has been in development for at least a year and some change), is beyond me.

Besides, the way Banpresto usually operates is to focus predominantly on the "majority leader" console. It's always been their MO, whether it was the Nintendo consoles (8-16bit and GB) through the early part of SRW's life, to Saturn and moreso the PSX during the 32bit era and the PS2 for the last few years.

So again, I really don't see why all the hub-bub is about now. If Banpresto was really all about the power, chances are, they wouldn't have stuck with the PS2 for these last few years like they did. Their interests lie mainly with reaching the largest demographic and keeping their dev costs down as much as possible, and for right now, the PS2 is where it's at, and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one Wii game come around soon enough.

Well they did announce SRW PS3 like 2 years ago.

Obviously it took them 20 minutes to port XO so after OG, I would guess this one is coming (maybe with a 360 version as well) along with a Wii installment.

m

So Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 14 for PS2 only and a Wii version titled Wii. Their baseball series with real characters was PS2/PS3 though. Anyway JPPY was also on GameCube so it doesn't surprise me a little bit, maybe they are doing a PS3 version but its not coming the same day as those 2, although its a little unlikely if you ask me.

I wonder what will Konami do with Winning Eleven 11...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I wonder what will Konami do with Winning Eleven 11

what happened to that dude who kept saying the PS3 version was the real next gen version, it was miles better than the X360 version and it would be out in Jan 2007 because of the wording of the exclusivity?

The WE games now sound stupid - WE11... :/

Blablurn

DCharlie said:
what happened to that dude who kept saying the PS3 version was the real next gen version, it was miles better than the X360 version and it would be out in Jan 2007 because of the wording of the exclusivity?

The WE games now sound stupid - WE11... :/

Thank god the European Version is called Pro Evolution Soccer <3

Acosta

Eteric Rice said:
I hope they do. I want SRW without having to buy another console. :|

Wii is region coded. A non OG for Wii means that it wouldn´t be released out of Japan, so you would would need a second system no matter what (at least you have a Japanese system).

Banpresto's a rather small developing team, that's not exactly swimming in money, though they do have enough to take care of themselves. Why you thought that they were going to immediately jump on the HD/PS3 bandwagon (if you didn't know about SRW OGs already, which has been in development for at least a year and some change), is beyond me.

Besides, the way Banpresto usually operates is to focus predominantly on the "majority leader" console. It's always been their MO, whether it was the Nintendo consoles (8-16bit and GB) through the early part of SRW's life, to Saturn and moreso the PSX during the 32bit era and the PS2 for the last few years.

So again, I really don't see why all the hub-bub is about now. If Banpresto was really all about the power, chances are, they wouldn't have stuck with the PS2 for these last few years like they did. Their interests lie mainly with reaching the largest demographic and keeping their dev costs down as much as possible, and for right now, the PS2 is where it's at, and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one Wii game come around soon enough

I don´t expect Banpresto to jump so soon to HD, especially as they have been delaying OG non-stop. They have worked on all type of systems this generation so I suppose they will touch Wii soon or later.

But Wii doesn´t offer anything that could be really profited for a SRPG, so I don´t have any special desire of seeing a Super Robot Wars for it. Probably it would be like the actual PS2 offerings. Is that a desirable thing? even for Wii fans?

Even in PS3/360 you can have different budgets, not every game is going to cost millions more just because a improvement of the definition and more detail. With a PS3 Super Robot Wars Banpresto could feel they need to offer things as HD anime combat sequences, an improvement in the models, more detailed maps... Small details that don´t change the core of the game but are nice to watch and feel as a improvement, the same way the offered voices and improved graphics for PS2 (don´t know if PSone versions had voices, started playing SW with a Japanese PS2).

You can´t expect studios as Banpresto or Nippon Ichi to profit all the possibilities of a PS3, like they didn´t profit all the possibilities of PS2. But a more powerful system will make them to work a bit harder to improve the visuals. This is what I want, what I would like to see, I believe is fair to express my personal take on this.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Thanks neo for scans again.

:O @ FF:CC

Nice pic. Clouds do resemble Skies of Arcadia slightly. Good or bad thing? :lol

.dmc

Banned
neo2046 said:
Use the Wiimote and Nunchuk, you will be the Super Hero !!

FFCC Wii ............

Was that the Jump scan? Or can we hope for more images later in the week? Goddamit, I need to see more of that game!

zoukka

speedpop said:
Thanks neo for scans again.

:O @ FF:CC

Nice pic. Clouds do resemble Skies of Arcadia slightly. Good or bad thing? :lol

Cloud? Where ? Or do you comment on something older than last page ?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
zoukka said:
Cloud? Where ? Or do you comment on something older than last page ?
I meant the clouds in the picture. Resembles Skies of Arcadia a bit in the way they are layered.

The Wii game looks like minigames galore.
edit: actually, now that I had a second look, it looks like a stylistic 2d platformer!

FF: CC Wii looks interesting...needs more actual ingame footage.
Acosta said:
Wii is region coded. A non OG for Wii means that it wouldn´t be released out of Japan, so you would would need a second system no matter what (at least you have a Japanese system).

I don´t expect Banpresto to jump so soon to HD, especially as they have been delaying OG non-stop. They have worked on all type of systems this generation so I suppose they will touch Wii soon or later.

But Wii doesn´t offer anything that could be really profited for a SRPG, so I don´t have any special desire of seeing a Super Robot Wars for it. Probably it would be like the actual PS2 offerings. Is that a desirable thing? even for Wii fans?

Even in PS3/360 you can have different budgets, not every game is going to cost millions more just because a improvement of the definition and more detail. With a PS3 Super Robot Wars Banpresto could feel they need to offer things as HD anime combat sequences, an improvement in the models, more detailed maps... Small details that don´t change the core of the game but are nice to watch and feel as a improvement, the same way the offered voices and improved graphics for PS2 (don´t know if PSone versions had voices, started playing SW with a Japanese PS2).

You can´t expect studios as Banpresto or Nippon Ichi to profit all the possibilities of a PS3, like they didn´t profit all the possibilities of PS2. But a more powerful system will make them to work a bit harder to improve the visuals. This is what I want, what I would like to see, I believe is fair to express my personal take on this.
The mouselike pointer is nice.

HD gaming is dead in Japan, they have nowhere else to go but waggle.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
creamsugar said:
Ace Combat 6 (360) & new Wii game (page2)
AC6 looks hot! It'll be my first since AC4. WTF @ Wii game art, I don't even want to know what's going on.

StevieP

Banned
Acosta said:

They probably can't even afford the dev kits, let alone the development of the game. And if it doesn't 'visually impress' (i.e. millions of dollars spent in the art department and outsourcing alone), it will bomb on the platform anyway. The niche developers like Nippon, Banpresto, Atlus, Marvelous, etc, are all probably going to go Wii-exclusive solely due to dev costs/timecycles/studio size requirements.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bo130 said:
Doesn't mention online, does it :(?
It probably won't have online since Itahana said he's concentrating on the single-player even more than RoF is:
1UP: What's the direction you have for the title? It seems more like a real adventure game.

TI: With Crystal Bearers, there's a much more action-oriented take on the Final Fantasy series. The key difference between the original Crystal Chronicles and also Ring of Fates, is that that kind of continues on the tradition of multiplayer cooperation and working together to further the adventure, whereas Crystal Bearers concentrates more on solo play and action.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159538

Top Bottom