• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's JP mag meganews

Someone on Jeux-France translated some tidbits from the Fragile scans :

-The game is set in a futur world that "lost its light"
-Most of the Earth population suddenly disappeared and the world is now obscured by a cold, evil fog
-Your character, a boy named Seto, travels this moonlight-bathed world in hope to find other human beings [it seems like the moon could play an extensive role in this game, given that it's even mentioned in the subtitle, the full title being something like Fragile : Ruins of the Farewell Moon]. However, it seems like he is more particularly looking for a mysterious girl called "Heroine"...
-Your only tools will be your flashlight and your metal or wood tools, which can serve as weapons. With your flashlight you'll be able to dissipate the fog, and even interact with the environments, solve puzzles, and uncover enemies. No word on the battle system yet.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
360 | Raiden Fighters Aces (package game, not download)
Need more info. What games are on this? Is it a new game, or a compilation?
And Nights PS2... I wish Sega would offer up more Ages titles over here. They're getting better, and I want the Model 2 games... :-(

Dascu

twinturbo2 said:
Need more info. What games are on this? Is it a new game, or a compilation?
And Nights PS2... I wish Sega would offer up more Ages titles over here. They're getting better, and I want the Model 2 games... :-(
Read the thread. It's a compilation of the previous Raiden Fighters games.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dascu said:
Read the thread. It's a compilation of the previous Raiden Fighters games.
Yes, I should read the thread. Hm, vertical shooters on the X360 is a trend I can get behind, between this and Ikaruga on XBLA. Hopefully, this is either region free, or someone will pick this up for North American distribution.

JudgeN

Stormbringer said:

-Most of the Earth population suddenly disappeared and the world is now obscured by a cold, evil fog
-Your character, a boy named Seto, travels this moonlight-bathed world in hope to find other human beings [it seems like the moon could play an extensive role in this game, given that it's even mentioned in the subtitle, the full title being something like Fragile : Ruins of the Farewell Moon]. However, it seems like he is more particularly looking for a mysterious girl called "Heroine"...
-Your only tools will be your flashlight and your metal or wood tools, which can serve as weapons. With your flashlight you'll be able to dissipate the fog, and even interact with the environments, solve puzzles, and uncover enemies. No word on the battle system yet.

That doesn't sound exciting at all, damn it fragile

Link1110

luke.jpg

Luke Fone Fabre?

I have a theory coming on about Fragile:

Seto goes to find this "Heroine" right? But what kind of a name is that? Here's how I see it, while Seto is looking for this girl, you may be able to play as this girl (hence the word "Heroine" being used), and she looks for Seto, possibly in an alternate storyline involving the girl!

Nakasan

Please someone, ANYONE, just confirm NiGHTS on PS2 is making it to europe. Please, anyone, just, make it up! Lie if you need to!! Just, someone confirm I'm gonna get to play this fricken remake!!! PLEASE

Can the multiformat 60gb PS3 released in europe play other region PS2 games?

Links to import version of deluxe edition with story book will be greatly appreciated.

Also, the original NiGHTS had a widescreen mode. Wasn't that proper 16:9?

IGN has done their own translations of Fragile:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/836/836728p1.html

Seems like the translations above of French translations of Japanese were accurate after all (unless IGN stole Jeux-France's translations... I don't know).

Hey Duckroll, feel like translating the original Japanese info from the magazine to see if these are indeed accurate?

Maybe find a tidbit that wasn't translated?

duckroll

Xellos said:
To be fair Orta did have Panzer Dragoon as an unlockable extra.

But that was the PC version, not the Saturn one.

Hero of legend said:
IGN has done their own translations of Fragile:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/836/836728p1.html

Seems like the translations above of French translations of Japanese were accurate after all (unless IGN stole Jeux-France's translations... I don't know).

Hey Duckroll, feel like translating the original Japanese info from the magazine to see if these are indeed accurate?

Maybe find a tidbit that wasn't translated?

Yeah that's pretty much what it says. There isn't much info in the two pages available. The stick being a weapon is just speculation on Famitsu's part, but it isn't much of a stretch. I mentioned the metal detector in the Fragile thread.

NiGHTS... weird. Let the franchise hibernate for a decade, then split its return with two exclusives for different systems rather than either releasing both on both or building a "NiGHTS fanbase" on one? Maybe Nintendo worked a deal for the sequel, but they still wanted to release something on PS2 and went with this option.

Xellos

duckroll said:
But that was the PC version, not the Saturn one.

Does it matter? My point was simply that Sega gave Orta players access to the original game in some form. AFAIK other consoles never get the "Saturn version" because its wonky 7-processor architecture makes emulation extremely difficult. Whenever another console gets a Saturn game it's always the PC version or a remake/port. Or were you referring to some difference between the content of the PC version and the Saturn game, because in that case I'll have to take your word for it. I assumed the content would be the same.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
NiGHTS... weird. Let the franchise hibernate for a decade, then split its return with two exclusives for different systems rather than either releasing both on both or building a "NiGHTS fanbase" on one?

Not too dissimilar from what Nintendo did with Metroid.

Xellos

JoshuaJSlone said:
NiGHTS... weird. Let the franchise hibernate for a decade, then split its return with two exclusives for different systems rather than either releasing both on both or building a "NiGHTS fanbase" on one? Maybe Nintendo worked a deal for the sequel, but they still wanted to release something on PS2 and went with this option.

Yeah, I don't understand why these games aren't on both consoles either. It's not as if JoD makes some fantastic use of the remote, and porting between PS2 and Wii is supposedly not that difficult (certainly many developers have done it).

ethelred said:
Not too dissimilar from what Nintendo did with Metroid.
It is, unless you're saying the Wii is in a completely different class of game machine than PS2. In which case, odd that these two entries share the same type of gameplay.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
It is, unless you're saying the Wii is in a completely different class of game machine than PS2. In which case, odd that these two entries share the same type of gameplay.

It's completely different from the PS2 in its audience.

ethelred said:
It's completely different from the PS2 in its audience.
In which case, wouldn't they benefit the most by selling both games to these mutually exclusive audiences, unless technical issues prevent it?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
JoshuaJSlone said:
In which case, wouldn't they benefit the most by selling both games to these mutually exclusive audiences, unless technical issues prevent it?

Sega doesn't want to saturate the market and have the remake hurt the sales of the sequel

grandjedi6 said:
Sega doesn't want to saturate the market and have the remake hurt the sales of the sequel
In which case, they could save half the development time and release one game across both platforms.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
In which case, they could save half the development time and release one game across both platforms.

Or they could do exactly what they're doing and allow fans to appreciate it and hopefully bring the series to new fans without people playing system wars? No?

ethelred said:
Or they could do exactly what they're doing and allow fans to appreciate it and hopefully bring the series to new fans without people playing system wars? No?
They can do what they like, but that doesn't make it efficient. By splitting support this way, they're getting neither the advantages of developing multiplatform games nor taking full advantage of console partisans on either side. Unless it goes back to what I suggested earlier, and they're taking advantage of console manufacturers on both sides by way of moneyhat.

duckroll said:

Raiden Fighters Aces (Xbox360)

- Includes Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2, and Raiden Fighters Jet.
- Superplay DVD included.
- Uses Xbox Live for Replay upload/download as well as Score Rankings.
- Tate modes included.

:O

There is no way in hell we'll get this...

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
They can do what they like, but that doesn't make it efficient.

Who are you, the Global Efficiency Manager? We're getting two great games now instead of one, and in the process lots of people will get the chance to experience a classic they never played before -- why are people complaining? This has dominated three of the seven pages in this thread, and it doesn't make any damned sense at all. Just be happy and let it be. Sheesh.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
NeoGAF: Be happy and let it be? NeoGAF: Don't overanalyze or question the reasoning behind something?

Better than NeoGAF: Why Can't All Games Be On My System... Over and Over and Over Again.

JoshuaJSlone said:
They can do what they like, but that doesn't make it efficient. By splitting support this way, they're getting neither the advantages of developing multiplatform games nor taking full advantage of console partisans on either side. Unless it goes back to what I suggested earlier, and they're taking advantage of console manufacturers on both sides by way of moneyhat.

I could see the argument in a split across current-gen systems, but... pretty much everyone does have a PS2. It's the system that puts up software sales without you really having to think about it. Sega always has the option to release an unchanged port on Wii down the road if JtD does fantastic numbers.

If they'd been able to put together the port, like, eight months ago, THEN it would've made sense to put on Wii (and build the userbase for the real-sequel) but at this point that ship has sailed.

EDIT: And for pretty much the same reasons, the other people in the thread handwringing about a game coming to PS2, the system that no true gamer can even conceivably be without is... goofy.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Xellos said:
Does it matter? My point was simply that Sega gave Orta players access to the original game in some form. AFAIK other consoles never get the "Saturn version" because its wonky 7-processor architecture makes emulation extremely difficult. Whenever another console gets a Saturn game it's always the PC version or a remake/port. Or were you referring to some difference between the content of the PC version and the Saturn game, because in that case I'll have to take your word for it. I assumed the content would be the same.
The Gametap version of PD appears to be the Saturn version...

I'm really expecting GREAT. THINGS. from Fragile now.

I still can't believe it: V&B and tri-crescendo! The only thing that could top that is some sort of IntSys involvement! Oh oh oh! And Matsuno!

ivysaur12

Banned
Stormbringer said:

It has the ability to be really cool. Post-apocalyptic settings are always welcome.

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm really expecting GREAT. THINGS. from Fragile now.

I still can't believe it: V&B and tri-crescendo!

<3 <3 <3

My expectations are through the roof. I'm so ecstatic it's actually this team making it. I really can't wait to see what they come up with.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
_dementia said:
Throw Raiden IV (which has been announced for 360 in North America by UFO) on the disc and we sure would.
Wait, Raiden IV was announced? Are they also going to throw in the other Raiden games as well?

duckroll

twinturbo2 said:
Wait, Raiden IV was announced? Are they also going to throw in the other Raiden games as well?

I don't see why other Raiden games would or should be "thrown in" to a Raiden Fighters collection. It's a seperate series, and the 3 games are the complete series. Makes no sense. Wtf is wrong with you people.

LevelNth

Banned
O.....M.....G

I swear to god, if NiGHTS PS2 doesn't come stateside I will officially boycott Sega for the rest of not only my life, but also the lives of my children.

However, if they do bring it, and I don't have to bother tracking down a shitty used Saturn, pay more than I should for a busted up copy of the game, and track down one of those massive 3D controllers, then all that Sega has done wrong in the past 10 years will be completely forgiven, and the old school love I had for the company will return automatically.

MAKE. IT. HAPPEN. Playing the 16:9 mode upscaled on PS3 will be bliss.

birdchili

it pains me that venus and braves was never localized, considering so much of the decidedly average stuff was.

all you bilingual (or just linguistically ambitious) folk gushing about it isn't helping.

nothing suggesting that fragile is anything other than really interesting so far. hopefully we'll get combat info soon.

ivysaur12

Banned
birdchili said:
it pains me that venus and braves was never localized, considering so much of the decidedly average stuff was.

all you bilingual (or just linguistically ambitious) folk gushing about it isn't helping.

nothing suggesting that fragile is anything other than really interesting so far. hopefully we'll get combat info soon.

That's why I'm glad that Fragile is 3D. Namco has a history of not localizing 2D games.

Mashing

ethelred said:
At the moment tri-Crescendo is collaborating with a much better team who was responsible for a much better, and much more underrated, RPG.

That must've been one hell of a game, because BK: O was pretty damn good. Easily one of the best RPGs last gen.

Boerseun

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
So it's sort of AAA. JP Wii owners, don't bomba this one please.

In the mean time, go out and buy Opoona damn it!! :D

And the original Nights on Saturn already allowed for 16:9.

Jonnyram said:
PS2 | NiGHTS, Feb 21, 3990 yen

360 | Raiden Fighters Aces (package game, not download)
BRING IT ON!!!!

Oh and RFA better be region free for fear of no publisher in the U.S. bothering to import.

lupin23rd

ethelred said:
• Dragon Quest V dated
• NiGHTS remake announced
• Fragile unveiled; first media and developer info (the people who made the phenomenal Venus & Braves)
• Etrian Odyssey 2 dated
• Raiden Fighters to 360

Not really an ordinary week, no.

I guess Fragile is the best news out of the last countless weeks (and looks good), but I don't think dates count unless they are huge titles being delayed or cancelled.

On a personal note I was hoping Raiden Fighters was coming out on anything not 360 or portable, but I guess it's not completely unexpected. Shooter developers love underdog consoles. Even if it came out on DS it would probably not even hit 10k anyways.

Top Bottom