• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's OMGWTF Japanese mag news (Wii Vanillaware game!)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
traveler said:
Vanillaware, original title for the Wii that actually sounds (from the limited info we have) that it might truly take advantage of it, looks like Odin Sphere (i.e. fantastic and doesn't require next-gen tech)

Interesting

Amir0x

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Wasnt Odin Sphere....not that good? plsdon'tkillmah

did you play it.

if so, then you know... it was quite good. Although honestly it could have played like Fantastic Four PSX and I'd still love it thanks to its visuals

titiklabingapat said:
Wasnt Odin Sphere....not that good?

bilognaparisukat2.gif

Zen

Banned
The only Vanillaware game I've played is Grim Grimoire, (Is Odin Sphere worth it?) and I really enjoyed it, though no online multiplayer for a RTS (albiet a 2D side scrolling RTS) dissapoints me. I honestly couldn't have expected that though.

Jonnyram

PSP Valhalla Knights 2
MMV / 2008

DS yosumin
Square Enix / November
- apparently a popular puzzle game on the web
- includes versus battle

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
titiklabingapat said:
Michael Donahoe gave it a 9.5! :lol

Anyway, GrimGrimoire was fucking awesome! The quick/refreshing part makes this sound more interesting to me.

Edit: Oops! It was a 9.5!

traveler

Not Wario
titiklabingapat said:

I thought it was excellent. Got a bit repititive, but the gameplay base was solid and the art fantastic. If they had eliminated the slowdown, mapped the block command to a different button than attack, and created a lot more diversity between each of the character's stories, (in the way they play, the levels played in each story, and the bosses encountered) it would be a true GOTY contender.

Edit: Panned for its gameplay by 1up? They gave it GotM in EGM and I don't think it got a score from them lower than 8.5.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
sp0rsk said:
You couldn't just read the description?

Yes but I know what that all means, but I don't get why everyone was having an orgasm over it. Just because I can read some information doesn't mean I know what it means to other people.

Read up on Wiki about Vanillaware so I am in the loop now.

Amir0x said:
did you play it.

if so, then you know... it was quite good. Although honestly it could have played like Fantastic Four PSX and I'd still love it thanks to its visuals

well i played it. hated it, but admit it was a very pretty game.

Saitou

Banned
Jonnyram said:
DS Sakura Taisen: Kimi arugatame
Release early 2008
- simulation battles have been made all-new and the game is a dungeon-type RPG
- will have "LIPS" as always

Oh dear. Oh me oh my dear.

I must change my undergarments now.

Amir0x

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
well i played it. hated it, but admit it was a very pretty game.

oh well that's fine, i thought it played fine - GOOD, not excellent. but the visuals were so good, like I said, it could have played like fire ants were eating my dick, and I still would have loved it

traveler

Not Wario
titiklabingapat said:
I stand corrected but it's always a good idea to lower expectations from third parties when it comes to the wii :lol

It's always a good idea to lower expectations from third parties for first year lineups in general. This sounds like a true ground-up effort built specifically for the Wii. I'll be optimistic for a change. :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
titiklabingapat said:
Odin looked awesome pawsome visually but i remember it getting panned for it's gameplay by 1up.
1UP was one of the many places that gave it blind overwhelming praise.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
jiji said:
LOL ANIMU LOLIS BIG EYES BUKKAKE BONDAGE TENTACLESjfdkaslfjsalk oh, just shoot me.
I didn't mention bukkake, bondage, or tentacles, but I guess those are legitimate ways to make this game more Japanese.

Zeed

Banned
Wii game from the Odin Sphere creators? I'm there. It better get localized. 2008 is already showing some great promise.

Scribble

jiji said:
LOL ANIMU LOLIS BIG EYES BUKKAKE BONDAGE TENTACLESjfdkaslfjsalk oh, just shoot me.

*Shoots you with the Gallet Gun*

I thought that Crisis Core got a ten somewhere. Or was that in my dreams =X

Amir0x

Banned
when i beat the first puzzle i got a terrible advertisement for something even more japanese than Odin Sphere, a game about flying dragon ball z loli maids Rozen Maiden.

traveler

Not Wario
jiji said:

Well, overreact why doncha? Dude was making a joke about the seemingly already Japan-heavy nature of Odin Sphere. Do you really think he was trying to stereotype the Japanese? JDF, assemble! :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
wait, so the wii play hardcore games now? I thought you could only play casual games on that thing.

/Joke

Vanillaware, i´m onto it day one. Odin S. = Awesome

traveler said:
Well, overreact why doncha? Dude was making a joke about the seemingly already Japan-heavy nature of Odin Sphere. Do you really think he was trying to stereotype the Japanese? JDF, assemble! :lol
Nah, I'm just tired of seeing people reusing that line of humor over and over.

I need to get off this internet.

Avalon

Jonnyram said:
Wii Oboro Muramasa Youtouden <- hope the reading is correct, here's the Japanese for reference: &#26407;&#26449;&#27491;&#22934;&#20992;&#20253;
Published by MMV
Developed by Vanillaware
- ARPG using Wiimote to use sword and various attacks
- play mode can be quick/refreshing or hardcore/repeat over-and-over style
- graphically looks like Odin Sphere but with a more Japanese feel

This made me laugh. Sounds like it's a brain dead easy campaign you can complete over and over again!

Could be pretty cool though.

Amir0x

Banned
now an advertisement for cooking mama. i guess the pattern of commercials is bad-good-bad-good

this Yosumin puzzle game IS addictive

Sharp

Crow-kun said:
The only time that it's nice when wii games look like ps2 games.:lol

???????????????????????????????????!
Do you actually play games or just troll them?

Also I can't believe people think a Vanillaware game is a bad thing for any console.

Amir0x

Banned
Vic said:
what the heck I'm supposed to do?

you gotta spot a pattern of four corners of the same shape

like this

e o o o e
o o o o o
e o o o e

If you click three of those "e", everything inside that box will turn into that shape and count toward your counter

Top Bottom