• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts and Hopes for Soulcalibur VI

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
So it's been over 3 years since Soulcalibur V was released.

The games reception was mostly mixed, mainly due to cut characters, a poor story mode, and bland new characters replacing styles of veterans, and 3 mimic characters.

There are many signs VI is on the horizon, with rumours and the facebook page taking a character popularity poll. Here's the results for the poll for those who haven't seen it -

Talim
Taki
Mitsurugi
Ivy
Kilik
Siegfried
Nightmare
Zasalamel
Yoshimitsu
Tira
Sophitia
Cassandra
Amy
Yun-Seong
Seong-Mina
Cervantes
Voldo
Xianghua
Raphael
Setsuka
Viola
Maxi
Hwang
Hilde
Astaroth
Z.W.E.I.
Natsu
Pyrrha
Xiba
Lizardman
Rock
Li Long
Algol
Dampierre
Aeon
Pyrrha Omega
Patroklos
Alpha Patroklos
Soul Edge
Leixia
Abyss
Charade
Olcadan
Elysium
Edge Master

As you can see the newcomers and kids haven't done too well, and I'm just wondering what you all think the direction they'll be taking for VI.

To be honest, I didn't mind the new characters designs, its just the lack of development and even backstory for some. No wonder Leixia is near the bottom as we basically know nothing about her. The veterans have had years to develop, where as the newcomers only one game, so it's obvious the old cast was going to come out on top of the new.

I don't believe this should mean getting rid of them altogether though. Some had unique play styles like Z.W.E.I, and many have story potential. I do think they should bring back the missing characters though. I see no reason why they got rid of Zasalamel, Talim, Taki, and Yun-Seong.

I believe there's three ways they'll go about VI.
- Do a Street Fighter 4, and have the game take place before V, with all the old cast returning, and maybe even retcon V's existence with some time altering shenanigans so we never see Patty or Pyrrha again.
- Have the newcomers travel back in time (ugh) to stop some disaster, so everyone's fighting in their prime, and they don't have to worry about 30+ year old Taki (as sad as that may seem)
- Carry on the story, and just have the old cast return.

My main gripe is for a proper story mode. I love SC's setting and characters, but I don't believe they've been presenting as well as they could have.
My second wish is to ease up on the fan service. V had great character designs, at least the 1p costumes anyway, and I hope to see it continue. I hope they've got it all out and done with with Lost Swords. It's hard to take a dark and serious game seriously when you see something like Ivy's SCIV design.
My last wish is to carry on the influence of 2d fighters. I love combos, pulling them off and mastering them gives you a great sense of satisfaction.

What are your thoughts?

Maybe get something like that single player mode from 3.
Bring back weapon styles that aren't tied to a specific character too.
(SCIII was awesome)

Oh and get Sophy back in and forget V ever happened.

Skilletor

Patroklus is amazing. Great design and amazing fighting style.

I want them to continue what SC5 started and not go backwards as far as core gameplay is concerned.

TreIII

Judging by Masaaki Hoshino (re: the new head of Project Soul after Odashima quit) and his team's latest Soul games, it already seems like they're prepped to try and roll back, if not outright retcon some things from SCV. Right down to how Sophitia's "definitely dead!" status has been since altered to say that she's "missing" and floating around Astral Chaos somewhere, with Cassandra looking for her in the same place.

And since SCV's mess of a storyline already hints that time travel is possible via Astral Chaos, that could be all they need to "soft-reset" the timeline and keep it moving. Call it "Soul Edge 2" (like Odashima wanted!), in order to showcase just how much of a paradigm shift it is. Or they can just "Tekken Tag" it up and give us another non-canon dream match game until they can figure out exactly what they want to do. I'm not picky in this area.

Gameplay-wise, I'd just hope that they don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, since SCV's mechanics are so good, and are just begging to be put into a better game and fine-tuned/expanded upon. Marry that with better Single Player modes for the casual audience, and you'd have an ideal foundation for a 6th game.

Deadstar

Bring back the geometric shapes for the levels like on the best (Dreamcast) version of the game. That's all they need to do.

red36

Neo Member
bring back the old feel. Really disappointed Edge master came in last, my favorite random character.

Bring back the low fantasy anime style of the early games. not this high fantasy anime fantastical approach. The game has always had a touch of history, but they have been less and less historical feeling with each iteration.

Back to basics. just retcon the whole thing. people don't need story progression in their fighters, and it rarely works with how fighters work. players always want to be able to play Ryu, Ken, Chung Li, Siegfried, Taki, etc. If they want them to age, make it a character costume. Old and Young.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wat does Z.W.E.I. stand for?

Well that's explained in his story mode that doesn't exist.

(I agree with you, OP, SoulCalibur 6 needs story modes for each character badly. I expected those to get patched into 5, I figured they just rushed the game, but nope! Nothing.)

Son Of D

Hopefully they get the time and budget they need this time. You can tell that SCV was rushed.

Also bring back Zasalamel.

Reboot the story, don't rush the game, get some decent single player stuff in there

And most important of all, no gameplay differences in CaC characters depending of height, arm length and whatever

They should go back to the desing that made the series great; which means canning all the shit they've done after SC2.

Soul Calibur on Dreamcast remains the best SC, for me. I still play it every week.

While gameplay in 4 and 5 is acceptable, art style is downright awful.

red36

Neo Member
2D and combo oriented

Blasphemy!

Also I would like to see them bring in a few new ethnicities. Bring back rock or make a Native American/First Nations character. with a tomahawk. A Persian/Arabic fighter and an Indian Tulwar fighter, African Zulu Warrior, or a Aztec dagger user would all be great additions. No more hula hoop waste-of-a-slot warriors.

CAR105 3

Wishlist for Soul Calibur 6

-Nightmare to rerurn to his SC2 armor
-Algol to return as a playable character
-Old characters to return
-Soul Calibur 5 gameplay(Except Guard impacts should not consume Gauge but they should have a long recovery time to prevent spamming)
-Good story mode
-Story endings like in SC4
-Removal of armor/clothes breaking mechanic

Garlador

SCV destroyed my love for what was once my favorite fighting game series.

The games reception was mostly mixed, mainly due to cut characters, a poor story mode, and bland new characters replacing styles of veterans, and 3 mimic characters.

That about sums it up.

SCVI needs to bring back the veterans (Taki is mandatory), a good story mode (it once had THE BEST story modes), and just having all the features and content from previous games, in particular SC2 and SC3.

SCV felt utterly rushed and severely lacking in content.

The bar has been RAISED since SCII. It's inexcusable to have less content than Soul Blade had on PS1.

AAK

Was having a discussion with AV2k and boutdown yesterday about Namco. I'm now convinced that Soul Calibur 6 is gonna have a pretty brutal monetization scheme based on how they handled Lost Swords and Tekken 7 in the arcades.

Something tells me they're gonna try their hand on a F2P money making scheme that will demand constant money from the user to keep playing.

Ogawa-san

We had a SCV with as much single player content as Street Fighter 2, followed by Lost Swords with Seong Mi-na for $90.

What hopes?

I want:

-beautiful graphics
-tons of weapons
-crazy character creation and customization
-every previous character with lots of alt costumes
-nudity (come at me bro)

Take SCV, bring back the older characters (in addition to keeping the children and newcomers), have an actual story mode and bam, done.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hmmm they could do it like V but with a different story mode and more fleshed out content. Combat was great but the content was lacking compared to the other games.

Bring back the goddamn Koreans. My one major complaint with SC5. Noone expects Hwang (or Han-Myeong) but getting rid of both Mi-Na AND Yun and their respective styles?

No F2P. Keep the cheesecake DLC if you want to steal some extra cash off the otakus, but a F2P model is basically poison to me.

Please, a somewhat more grounded historical background with characters that have nationalities and not just "oh, he's from a secret cult group thingie that's all over the world". A ton of interesting things happened around 1600 that you can base characters on.

Make incidental animation (win poses, etc) custom based on a personality droplist. Especially if the actual characters are going to fool around like Xiba.

Gameplay is fine, SC5 is excellent in that regard.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Was having a discussion with AV2k and boutdown yesterday about Namco. I'm now convinced that Soul Calibur 6 is gonna have a pretty brutal monetization scheme based on how they handled Lost Swords and Tekken 7 in the arcades.

Something tells me they're gonna try their hand on a F2P money making scheme that will demand constant money from the user to keep playing.

But they already went the F2P route with Lost Swords. Why would they do it again but call it SoulCalibur 6? Lost Swords doesn't even seem like it's been particularly successful, either.

I want:

-nudity (come at me bro)

i mean its just what everyone else was already thinking

zhixson

-Another Khan Super Session OST
-Soul Blade style interactive endings
-Create-a-Weapon to go along with Create-a-Character (hey, it could happen)
-Anachronistic batshit crazy guest character that doesn't fit or seem as though they belong but are fun as hell to play. Like Ronald McDonald or something.
-Boobs

Skilletor

Patroclus is amazing.

He loves the haters. He's just like, "Come at me, bro."

D57bXJ6.jpg

Seung-Mina back in Soul Calibur please.. mind you SC5 was a good step in the right direction it should go with new characters and the gameplay being quite solid.

Also, bring back Team Battle!!

I would like them to use the original Soul Calibur as a template for the singleplayer content. It'll also be cool to have a Mortal Kombat style story mode. Also do away with any cheap projectiles and characters that dominate simply because of hitbox advantage (i.e. Hilde/Yoda).

petghost

Banned
Don't want 2d of course but soul calibur 5 was pretty linear anyways... Hope they encourage movement instead of discouraging it.

Gravidee

They shouldn't even bother with a story mode given what happened last time. Just bring back as many veteran fighters with some new faces, your standard modes, customization, weapon master and we're good. Anything else besides the core experience(s) should just be icing on the cake.

Use SCV's gameplay as base and build up from there. Bring back the old characters as "legacy" characters so they can please the fans and not get rid of the newcomers. Make the "replacement" newcomers even more different than before. Keep improving CaS. Bring back good single player content.
And make Geralt the new guest character.

I didn't know people gave a shit about the story in this game and most fighting games. I disliked most of the designs of the new characters. Taki's replacement played well, but I disliked her design visually. Xiba was just a terrible replacement for Kilik and Kilik was reduced to a mimic character.

The gameplay was tight in V and the character creation was too, but it can be improved with more and better looking clothing and armor and also better hair textures and more hair textures.

A good story mode (not a slide show that ignores half the cast) or at least bring back that rpg mode from SC3. Or do both, cause why not?

Also yeah, old cast. Particularly Taki, Talim, Zasa, Amy, and legit Kilik.

Also, an idea I've had floating around in my head for years, and always kinda did on my own anyways but it would be cool to be a built in feature, is a campaign creator. We could write our own stories using these characters and settings. Just have a wall of text scroll and/or jrpg style text dialog, that lead to player set fights, and chain them all along into a campaign. I wrote a very lengthy campaign for SC3 back in the day, so to see it actually in game would be awesome. I imagine this wouldn't actually be very hard to build as a game mode either. Basically just vs mode with a simple text editor that can be paired with concept art. *shrug*

Top Bottom