• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts and Hopes for Soulcalibur VI

AAK

But they already went the F2P route with Lost Swords. Why would they do it again but call it SoulCalibur 6? Lost Swords doesn't even seem like it's been particularly successful, either.

Lost Swords made truckloads of money for Namco. They are still making content for the game which speaks volumes for how successful it is. To put that into perspective, Namco abruptly stopped making content for Tekken Revolution which on its page has many things like Julia and Bob's premium effects are still "coming soon'. So they know when it's time to stop investing.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Judging by Masaaki Hoshino (re: the new head of Project Soul after Odashima quit) and his team's latest Soul games, it already seems like they're prepped to try and roll back, if not outright retcon some things from SCV. Right down to how Sophitia's "definitely dead!" status has been since altered to say that she's "missing" and floating around Astral Chaos somewhere, with Cassandra looking for her in the same place.

And since SCV's mess of a storyline already hints that time travel is possible via Astral Chaos, that could be all they need to "soft-reset" the timeline and keep it moving. Call it "Soul Edge 2" (like Odashima wanted!), in order to showcase just how much of a paradigm shift it is. Or they can just "Tekken Tag" it up and give us another non-canon dream match game until they can figure out exactly what they want to do. I'm not picky in this area.

Gameplay-wise, I'd just hope that they don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, since SCV's mechanics are so good, and are just begging to be put into a better game and fine-tuned/expanded upon. Marry that with better Single Player modes for the casual audience, and you'd have an ideal foundation for a 6th game.
Ugh. SCV was already a reboot. Reboot the reboot, and what do you get?

Don't want 2d of course but soul calibur 5 was pretty linear anyways... Hope they encourage movement instead of discouraging it.
Uh... SCV's not pretty linear.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wouldn't something to make the game last longer work?

There's a lot of great work gone into Namco's fighters, but they amaze people for shorter times than Capcom's fighters. Tekken had some wonderful years in the arcades, but SC is one that has sorta been forgotten about after a year. SE, SC1-2, and the like were very mainstream for a while. Very fun fighting games. SC3 was when I sorta lost interest. SCIV came out at a very dry time. SCV was a solid game, but after a while no one really plays. I had it for PS3 and just last year got it for 360. I'll play arcade mode.

I'd like to see a lot more interesting characters, a bit more to their arcade mode, and Namco's story modes aren't good to be honest. I went to an SCIV tournament back with SCIV and I didn't do too well. I had one or two good matches. It felt like an underground thing. Tekken's tournaments are probably more populated and Tekken was huge in the arcade for a while.

I'd like less annoying VO's when characters get hit on the ground. Maybe give the game some more smoothing dynamics and upgrade the combat a little. The game is a lot of fun. I still remember getting SC on DC at launch and playing Soul Edge a lot in the arcade. I want some more levels like Rock's stage with the grass. SCV's characters were fun, but nothing to write home about. I'm also an Asteroth player. I need some real practice with him because I don't do well PvP, but I do well against the computer.

I love fighting games, but I have a solid computer mindframe. I'm happy with just playing arcade mode. I guess when TTT and T3 were out I went to the arcade. Fighters stand out when the arcade mode and story mode are well done. Tekken is an exception for me. I hate the story mode, but I'll play online. In fact Tekken is the only fighting game I will go online to play. I know more about Tekken. Even though I get beat. It's still not an insecurity I have. I don't go online with a lot of other fighters.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Wouldn't something to make the game last longer work?

There's a lot of great work gone into Namco's fighters, but they amaze people for shorter times than Capcom's fighters. Tekken had some wonderful years in the arcades, but SC is one that has sorta been forgotten about after a year. SE, SC1-2, and the like were very mainstream for a while. Very fun fighting games. SC3 was when I sorta lost interest. SCIV came out at a very dry time. SCV was a solid game, but after a while no one really plays. I had it for PS3 and just last year got it for 360. I'll play arcade mode.

It's hard to come by other players in arcade mode. It's actually rather active online. Heck, there's going to be an online tournament streamed on the July 5th 9pm eastern on www.twitch.tv/darkpartywolf

If you want a hint at some of the better players on XBL at least, give that a look.

-Entire SCIV cast returns plus Hwang, Li Long, ZWEI & Viola
-Male SC characters allowed to keep their aged SCV looks (pretty much the best part of SCV), but please let the female characters age too!
-No guest characters
-At least 4 new characters
-The "SC Kids" (Patroklos, Pyrrha, Natsu, Xiba & Leixia) can be included too, but should not take precedence over their predecessors
-All characters get 2 unique costumes with battle damage mods (No palette swaps)
-Breakable armor returns
-More Create-A-Soul armor options (Especially for male CaS)
-The option to toggle what CaS armor is breakable, piece by piece
-All gender exclusive armor is wearable by all characters of that gender
-Weapon based CaS styles return
-Critical Edge/Finishes return
-Expanded story mode (Individual endings for every character)
-Mission mode (or a variant of) returns

Feep

Banned
Are Guard Impacts still fucked? Needs to be 4G and 6G ONLY. They fucking ruined that beautiful, simple mechanic in 3 and it largely killed my love of the series. Also fuck meter bullshit.

Edit: super beaten by three posts up

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Lost Swords made truckloads of money for Namco. They are still making content for the game which speaks volumes for how successful it is. To put that into perspective, Namco abruptly stopped making content for Tekken Revolution which on its page has many things like Julia and Bob's premium effects are still "coming soon'. So they know when it's time to stop investing.

TR's cheap model didn't last long. Lots and lots of hate. I'll load it up to play a few matches or I'll go into practice mode with someone I want to try out without the bounce.

I have not played Lost Swords.

TR was fun for a Tekken fan starting out and then it just got cheap. I'd say Lost Swords is a mess. It's the same concept. At least with TR skill matters half the time.

Tekken and SC have had about the same run, but I think Tekken has managed to do better. I say that because I hear more about Tekken and zero about SC. I never got into SC's player base or even playing with others. It's a fun game by yourself. Most of the people I played Tekken with stopped completely. I'd say fighting games don't have a good aging process unless you're a fan. I could load up CvS2 and play a few playthroughs of the arcade mode. SC seems like its for someone besides me. I remember going into lobbies in TR and being yelled at because of my level. That's saying a lot. I guess when its on point it'll be on point.

It's weird because Namco use to be pretty common. You would see their machines at every single arcade you went to. Now that arcades are down and fighting games are only picked up on Twitch or something. You don't have a bond unless you really enjoy the game. The appeal of Lost Swords just doesn't sound that fun. I'm inches away from deleting TR and just waiting it out until T7 comes along.

It's hard to come by other players in arcade mode. It's actually rather active online. Heck, there's going to be an online tournament streamed on the July 5th 9pm eastern on www.twitch.tv/darkpartywolf

If you want a hint at some of the better players on XBL at least, give that a look.

That is interesting. It's much like how MKX is now. It has a community, it has a history, and now it has a slug of people playing it like no other because its the popular good fighter that's out. MKX has players that love it because it does more for them and they're good at it. It's a fun game. I guess I went from enjoying random fighters to fighting what's the most popular. I enjoyed Capcom's fighters since the early 90s and the community is like whoever was playing the game is now on my PC. I can see them now. I want to stay a solid fan to a fighting game, but I always took my tokens and went to multiple machines.

That's neat how players have managed to keep it going. Games went from being something that stopped someone in their tracks and now they rely on their fan base. I'm sure some people treat it differently.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
SCV wasn't a reboot. It continued the same story, it just had a time-skip. Unless Tekken 3 was a reboot too.

It pretty much was a reboot. Time skip, new characters, new mechanics. Hopefully they won't resurrect turgid and moribund gameplay mechanics from Soul Blade for a new entry or making it a bad Bushido Blade clone.

That's neat how players have managed to keep it going. Games went from being something that stopped someone in their tracks and now they rely on their fan base. I'm sure some people treat it differently.
It's still active in tournament play on the EC at least. NEC has a large pot bonus for SCV this year. Lots of good players are planning to attend etc.

- Remove the character customisation and creation. I hated that carnival online mode where you played against monstruosities and tastless recolors.
Just put the ressources over a simple and clean design like in the good old SoulEdge/Soulcalibur 1 and 2.

- Bring back old guard impact mechanics, you can keep ex and ultras in.

- Setsuka please.

I know it's incredibly unlikely but I hope they find a way to stick Ezio's style into SCVI. He was a ton of fun to play with his counter-pokes. I know they stuck Kratos's on Lizardman in SCV but I feel like it'd be hard to make a generic assassin with a hidden blade as opposed to a dude with two axes.

Instead of characters the game should have 20+ fighting styles and extreme amounts of character creation tools.

Every fighter is a character someone created.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I know it's incredibly unlikely but I hope they find a way to stick Ezio's style into SCVI. He was a ton of fun to play with his counter-pokes. I know they stuck Kratos's on Lizardman in SCV but I feel like it'd be hard to make a generic assassin with a hidden blade as opposed to a dude with two axes.

Lizardman gains the powers of those he eats. He ate Kratos, and he can always eat Ezio should the need arise.

Skilletor

Instead of characters the game should have 20+ fighting styles and extreme amounts of character creation tools.

Every fighter is a character someone created.

No thanks. I have absolutely no interest in creating a fighter. I love SC character design and hate 98% of the stuff I've seen other people create. I'd much rather they make it so I never have to see what other people make.

Nome

The more it plays like Soul Calibur 2 the better.
Every game afterwards slowed down the gameplay and increased execution difficulty. Just Inputs don't make the game more exciting; they just make it harder.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The more it plays like Soul Calibur 2 the better.
Every game afterwards slowed down the gameplay and increased execution difficulty. Just Inputs don't make the game more exciting; they just make it harder.

So... Three moves and an insane level of safety built within the movement topped by a glitch that makes GI's into a liability so that games devolve into constant stepping until someone messes up with a whiff?

Nimby

Banned
Reasonable?

- Go for a reboot/retcon, drop the children but include Viola and Zwei.
- Include children as CAS styles, including Rock/Li Long/Hwang/old Amy
- Bring back veteran characters/fighting styles
- Bring back Soulcalibur V mechanics
- No palette swap costumes
- At least 1 new character
- Bring back meterless GI
- Guest character
- New Critical Edges
- Tag battle/team battle mode​

Skilletor

Why do people hate Patroclus? lol.

I get Pyrrha, since she's so similar to Sophie, but why hate the hate on the son? His character and style are awesome and totally unique to the series.

I understand hating aPat because Setsuka is about a million times better, but there's nothing like his default style in the series. Why get rid of it? Especially if you're clamoring for the return of another style...why would you want to get rid of one?

Jawmuncher

I want a third party character inclusion as zany as the Star Wars inclusion was. Ezio was cool and all but he felt a little too at home in SCV. If anyone just saw the game they wouldn't have known he was a crossover, I don't like that.

Outside of that I just need Pyrhha Omega and I'm set. I've never really had a main in SC outside of the third party characters and her.

YoungOne

I get Pyrrha, since she's so similar to Sophie, but why hate the hate on the son? His character and style are awesome and totally unique to the series.

I understand hating aPat because Setsuka is about a million times better, but there's nothing like his default style in the series. Why get rid of it? Especially if you're clamoring for the return of another style...why would you want to get rid of one?

Also he has the best smug face.

I don't hate Pat, he's probably my favorite of the kids, but I think him being thrust into the spotlight while so many veterans got cut made some people adverse to his presence and what he represented. I don't really hate any of the kid characters (except maybe Xiba), but I like their predecessors much better in every instance and would much rather have them back if I had to choose.

Nimby

Banned
In terms of roster, here's who I want:

Talim
Taki
Mitsurugi
Ivy
Kilik
Siegfried
Nightmare
Zasalamel
Yoshimitsu
Tira
Sophitia
Cassandra
Amy
Yun-Seong
Seong-Mina
Cervantes
Voldo
Xianghua
Raphael
Setsuka
Viola
Maxi
Hilde
Astaroth
Z.W.E.I.
Lizardman/Aeon
Edge Master

Skilletor

I don't hate Pat, he's probably my favorite of the kids, but I think him being thrust into the spotlight while so many veterans got cut made some people adverse to his presence and what he represented. I don't really hate any of the kid characters (except maybe Xiba), but I like their predecessors much better in every instance and would much rather have them back if I had to choose.

Pat doesn't have a predecessor, though. He isn't replacing anybody. There's no equivalent to his style. He's a new character. It's not like Pyrhha.

Also he has the best smug face.

Fact.

Sesha

- Keep Patroklos, Pyrrha, Viola, Z.W.E.I. and Hilde.
- Find some way to reuse Ezio's and Kratos' move sets.
- Get rid of move-swap characters like Alpha/Omega twins, clone bosses and random characters.
- Bring back Talim, Setsuka, Zasalamel (I guess), Seong Mi-na/Yun-seong/Hwang and Dampierre.
- Add Bangoo (chain flail), Salia Olschmidt aka. that Schwarzwind chick, and Gisele aka. Dampierre's female gang member. And for fuck's sake, let this be one of Gisele's costumes.
- Add more characters with unique mechanics like Viola.
- Something like an Edge Master Mode
- Keep EX/Super mechanics. In fact, keep the gameplay mostly like SCV.
- Maybe bring back guard impact
- Minimum of two costumes for each character.
- Tag mode.
- Skullgirls-style tutorial mode
- MKX-style character intros

Pat doesn't have a predecessor, though. He isn't replacing anybody. There's no equivalent to his style. He's a new character. It's not like Pyrhha.
I know, but people still see him as a replacement. Two Alexandra sisters gone, and two Alexandra kids in their place.

Because he's a completely unsympathetic a-hole forcefully portrayed as the hero of the story. The 17 year legacy of Sophitia, an icon in the series, was basically destroyed by her two horrible, murderous children.

But, his reign of terror doesn't stop there. Gameplay-wise, he then decided to replace both Cassandra and Setsuka, two infinitely more interesting characters, in one fell swoop.

Why would anyone expect him to be loved?

Nuszka

Would love a prequel to Soul Edge with the full cast and some new characters. Simplified game mechanics no supers or ex moves.

Korigama

-a focus on the cast introduced before V (the top 20 of that popularity poll would be a decent starting point, but the roster doesn't have to be limited to them specifically)
-dropping Create-a-Soul in favor of prioritizing single-player modes and the actual cast during development rather than options for accommodating fanmade hodgepodges
-story that serves as a soft-reboot set directly after IV, focused on preventing the events that led to V from coming to pass

Can't say I care either way what they do with the cast members introduced in V (Viola and Z.W.E.I. might have decent chances, even if it's all but stated that the former is just an older Amy).

cwistofu

Bring back Seong Mina.

Keep the meter and all the mechanic changes introduced in SC5. Those were ALL fantastic.

Also, Dynasty Warriors guest characters.

I first gravitated to SC with the expansive single player modes. I feel as though it should try again at having several feature-filled single player modes and update content periodically after launch.

SCV's single player was stunted and IMO wasn't nearly as fun as the first three.

NZerker12

- SC5 gameplay
- Enhanced Creation suit
- Edge Master Mode
- SCIV roster with Pyrrha, Patrokolos, Viola, ZWEI, Inferno and Elysium.
- Story Mode
(This time Complete)
- Character endings
- Bring back character profiles and exhibition theater.

This for me would be the perfect Soul Calibur game.

Skilletor

Because he's a completely unsympathetic a-hole forcefully portrayed as the hero of the story. The 17 year legacy of Sophitia, an icon in the series, was basically destroyed by her two horrible, murderous children.

But, his reign of terror doesn't stop there. Gameplay-wise, he then decided to replace both Cassandra and Setsuka, two infinitely more interesting characters, in one fell swoop.

Why would anyone expect him to be loved?

He plays nothing like Cassandra. At all.

And aPat being like Setsuka, I assume, is because of budget. I don't know. But his default style is 100% original.

I really don't give a fuck about the story. I only care about gameplay, and I don't see why anybody would want to get rid of a unique style.

Pejo

Honestly this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I think that character creator needs to go. It's a really feature rich creator, but ever since they added that, the game has no soul anymore. I miss the first few games where the story mode was really in depth, and the fights made some sense. The characters were really fleshed out and had personality. I loved unlocking the weapons and looking forward to the cutscenes. I bought and played V for like 4 hours and never put it back in my system. There was just nothing there to keep me interested.

I'm one of those weirdos that only plays fighting games for single player content though, so I'm probably not who they're looking to sell to. They want the multi oriented players that are buying costume DLC and doing a lot of custom character junk.

Top Bottom