• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts and Hopes for Soulcalibur VI

I want all the old chars back and some of the new ones. A good story mode and lots of single player mode like conquest in Soul Calibur 3 and the Towers in Soul Calibur 4.

Most of all I want the game not to be rushed, it was so obvious in the SCV story, it was a shame.

Skilletor

His 236 moves are directly inherited from Cassandra.

CD moves aren't exclusive to Cassie or Sophie. His moves function entirely different from Cassie, have all new animations, and even if they were similar your statement does nothing to disprove my statement that he plays nothing like Cassie or Sophie.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I felt SCV did a pretty good job of toning down on 4s garishness. Astaroth and Ivy remain the worst culprits.

Bear in mind, someone thought that Hilde *in full plate* was too sexy due to a beauty mark in the last SCVI thread...

Bear in mind, someone thought that Hilde *in full plate* was too sexy due to a beauty mark in the last SCVI thread...
That was me! :p

But I didn't say she was too sexy, just that her design was still based on attractiveness, and that her pouty lips/glam face were part of that. I still like her design though (she's one of my fav female SC characters), and I've got no problems with sexy designs in general, just that I'd like to see a female character that's a total beast ala Nightmare.

Soulcalibur V's system with no fanservice, the old cast added to the existing cast and a single player mode to the level of the Dreamcast original.

Would be perfect.

He plays nothing like Cassandra. At all.

And aPat being like Setsuka, I assume, is because of budget. I don't know. But his default style is 100% original.

I didn't say he was a clone, I said he was a replacement. Natsu replaces Taki. Leixa replaces Xianghua. The Alexandra siblings Pat and Pyrrha replace the Alexandra siblings Cassie and Sophie.

Pyrrha is obviously the more innocent, apologetic one like Sophitia. Pat is the aggressive, cocky one, like Cassie. Can't believe you didn't see the parallels.

His moves aren't copies because he's a guy, and Cassie mannerisms wouldn't fit his character. But, you can see inspirations here and there...like his crouch dash B, a shield bash as opposed to Pyrrha's stab.

In the case of Setsuka, though, he was a replacement AND a clone. Budget and time restraints aren't going to make that fact any less annoying to Setsuka fans.

I really don't give a fuck about the story. I only care about gameplay, and I don't see why anybody would want to get rid of a unique style.

You are clearly not everybody else, judging by those poll results. If you want to understand why other people dislike a character, then you have to go beyond I.

"Fanservice" is in this series' blood. I hope people don't think SC5 was the game that introduced it...
Yeah, the very first game has Sophitia in a swimsuit and appearing naked in the (unedited) opening. At least they've made attempts to make it a bit more balanced between the genders, though they kinda threw that out the window in Lost Swords.

Skilletor

I didn't say he was a clone, I said he was a replacement. Natsu replaces Taki. Leixa replaces Xianghua. The Alexandra siblings Pat and Pyrrha replace the Alexandra siblings Cassie and Sophie.

Pyrrha is obviously the more innocent, apologetic one like Sophitia. Pat is the aggressive, cocky one, like Cassie. Can't believe you didn't see the parallels.

His moves aren't copies because he's a guy, and Cassie mannerisms wouldn't fit his character. But, you can see inspirations here and there...like his crouch dash B, a shield bash as opposed to Pyrrha's stab.

In the case of Setsuka, though, he was a replacement AND a clone. Budget and time restraints aren't going to make that fact any less annoying to Setsuka fans.

You are clearly not everybody else, judging by those poll results. If you want to understand why other people dislike a character, then you have to go beyond I.

I know this, I'm a Setsuka main. Which is why I didn't mention aPat. Regular Patroclus doesn't play anything like Cassie or Sophie. Every single character you listed plays similarly to the character they're replacing. Pyrrha is so close to Sophie and Cassie I don't even know which character she's supposed to play like.

And, again, I don't care about people disliking a character, I just think it's silly to say you want an entire moveset removed from the game. Especially when the same people will turn around and say they want XYZ character that isn't in the game now.

I'm not "seeing the parallels" because I'm talking about gameplay. I'm not talking about anything but how these characters play.

Saying that Patroclus is a replacement for Cassie or Sophie is like saying you've replaced my knife with a spoon.

DTJAAAAM

I'd want:

-A Khan Super Session soundtrack
-A proper CG intro with vocals since none of the post Soul Edge/Blade openings have touched the original
-The return of Hwang (but not as a Yunsung substitute) and reestablishing his rivalry with Mitsurugi
-Bangoo as a playable character, but not replacing Rock
-Less weird/magical additions to the cast and more historic/realistic fighters

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Honestly this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I think that character creator needs to go. It's a really feature rich creator, but ever since they added that, the game has no soul anymore. I miss the first few games where the story mode was really in depth, and the fights made some sense. The characters were really fleshed out and had personality. I loved unlocking the weapons and looking forward to the cutscenes. I bought and played V for like 4 hours and never put it back in my system. There was just nothing there to keep me interested.

I'm one of those weirdos that only plays fighting games for single player content though, so I'm probably not who they're looking to sell to. They want the multi oriented players that are buying costume DLC and doing a lot of custom character junk.

Uh... but they added that in SoulCalibur 3. That had two of the best story modes in the series, and one of them was geared entirely around created characters. I don't think that's the root of the problem.

TreIII

Uh... but they added that in SoulCalibur 3. That had two of the best story modes in the series, and one of them was geared entirely around created characters. I don't think that's the root of the problem.

And at this point, removing what is distinctly one of the biggest draws for the series for a large portion of the potential audience is just not going to happen. They'd be setting themselves up for failure if they didn't have the CaS feature return in some way.

All I'd ask, similar to what Skilletor suggested, is that there's a way to filter out CaS', so I don't have to see everybody else's garish creations online.

red36

Neo Member
the CaS was way more fun in 3 than in the following games. Somehow V specifically felt very generic. Oh yes, I remember, because everything was behind a multiplayer gateway. Please no. Keep it like 3 but add more stuff. Don't gunk it up with unnecessary mechanics and grinding.

but what they also need to do is not have such a crazy distinction between what you can do and the official characters. When looking at your created char next to any pre-created one they will always look dull, that's not player fault. That's due to cracked up ornate character design and (comparatively) lackluster design options.

Start with the SC4 cast and add Li Long, Rock, ZWEI, Viola, and best Alexander (Pattycakes). The explanation of how we get to this cast is irrelevant to me. Use SC5's gameplay but remove guts and just guard. Bring back SC3's guard impact and apply it's effects to the guard gauges (ie, repel hurts yours, parry heals mine). Extensive CAS...with the option to turn off viewing it since almost everyone makes shitty customs.

JediLink

CD moves aren't exclusive to Cassie or Sophie. His moves function entirely different from Cassie, have all new animations, and even if they were similar your statement does nothing to disprove my statement that he plays nothing like Cassie or Sophie.
Their 236Bs have the same properties and frame data. So do have at least one thing in common. Which disproves that they have nothing in common. I'm just saying dude.

My biggest hopes:

1. Stop getting rid of characters! Have all of the new cast AND the old cast with at least 5 new characters. No more stupid guest characters too!

2. Bring back better modes! A lengthy story mode, team battle, survival etc. Stop taking away stuff and get back to adding in things. No more half-assing it!

3. Get rid of critical edge and bring back armour breaking from IV. Also, every time you pause the game you should be able to turn the camera and take screenshots - like in Smash Bros.

Skilletor

Their 236Bs have the same properties and frame data. So do have at least one thing in common. Which disproves that they have nothing in common. I'm just saying dude.

Same frame data from which game? Same properties how? There's no jf from the shield bash for an extension, allows for different oki options, has an ex version. You can use it in combos differently than you can the other 236b because of brave edge version.

They are similar, yes, but most crouch dash moves are.

Siegfried. Lots of Siegfried. And a satisfactory story mode.

This.

But also, I would like for the character designs to be a bit more "grounded" in reality for that time period. Sort of like they were in... Soul Blade (!!!). Some of the designs have straight up sucked since SC III.

I would also like the music to be more like it was prior to SC III.

You can see a running theme there. SC III was when the SoulCalibur aesthetic no longer appealed to me.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Start with the SC4 cast and add Li Long, Rock, ZWEI, Viola, and best Alexander (Pattycakes). The explanation of how we get to this cast is irrelevant to me. Use SC5's gameplay but remove guts and just guard. Bring back SC3's guard impact and apply it's effects to the guard gauges (ie, repel hurts yours, parry heals mine). Extensive CAS...with the option to turn off viewing it since almost everyone makes shitty customs.

Blocking a player already freezes CAS out on the 360 at least. Also, upping privacy settings reduces everyone else's CAS to people in underwear.

- Bring back all of the characters unceremoniously cut from SCIV.
- Have meaningful single player content.

That's about it. SCV with the above two things would have been fine.

Creaking

This.

But also, I would like for the character designs to be a bit more "grounded" in reality for that time period. Sort of like they were in... Soul Blade (!!!). Some of the designs have straight up sucked since SC III.

I would also like the music to be more like it was prior to SC III.

You can see a running theme there. SC III was when the SoulCalibur aesthetic no longer appealed to me.

But uh... SoulCalibur III had quite a few tracks from the earlier games.

Blocking a player already freezes CAS out on the 360 at least. Also, upping privacy settings reduces everyone else's CAS to people in underwear.
I'd actually remove the multiple sizes bit for online play and make it so that if I blocked customs, I would just see the default main cast character.

Give us a versus game, cause at this point I don't think they can do anything to make a straight up Soulcalibur 6 popular enough to justify the production cost of the single player, create a character detail, and roster size that people would actually want.

I'm kind of terrified that so many people are praising SCV's gameplay as it feels like the antithesis of everything I enjoyed about the series.

For me, soul calibur has always been about outwitting your opponent and reading them rather than brain-dead damage conversion. Most of the combos were about setting your opponent up (you'd expect the first few hits to be blocked or miss and catch them at a branching point or even just stop the combo early and deviate to catch them off guard once you've conditioned them.)
In SCV it felt more like the usual dial-a-combo nonsense from fighters I've lost interest in where your opponent basically has to just sit back and wait until you're done playing your private session of DDR on their health bar. This was further pushed by the nerfs to 8-way run and heck, it even feels like your influence on direction after a hit has been reduced where in the original SC you could float yourself out of people's whirling attacks fairly quickly if they didn't anticipate it properly.

For me, I feel that if we'd gotten the arcade updates on home console then SC3 would've easily been my top entry in the series as while it had some combo-ish-ness it was still not the flashy extended stuff you see in SCV and was super content rich. While I always appreciate the experimental stuff they try in each version I would love to see armour breaking either changed or gone as I'd rather see my armour damaged instead of vanishing completely leaving most CaS fighting in their undies and generally making some of the normal cast look a little underdressed too.

I don't intrinsically have an issue with them experimenting with meter management but the fact it usually lends itself to combo extension is a no-no to me. If people want long combos there's plenty of games already out there to scratch that itch so I feel they'd be better off catering to a less saturated market like... I dunno... the people who have actually been playing the series the whole time and like it for what it is rather than trying to be an SF4 rip-off? :p
Also, putting GI on meter and then giving us perfect guard seems kind of pointless as, at least for me, it just encourages you to use Perfect Guard in the same places you previously used GI for the most part (which is less risk than the original GI and can even be done by accident more easily) and relegates the GI to situations where the Perfect Guard won't give you enough frame advantage (though in most cases its better to keep the meter for those combo extensions because lol damage)

Character-wise I'm open to whatever, though Amy and Ashlotte returning would be ace for me (I don't have any issues with viola per se, but her combo-centric gameplay makes me broil with anger... I want to fight my opponent, not put them to sleep with mindless rote juggling) Dampierre's female compatriot Giselle that someone mentioned earlier looks cool but I don't know much about her (I skipped the PSP version :p )

As for the plot, I think the story has gone to pot since SC4 in all honesty (Algol basically throws the original mystery of the swords origins out the window. I liked the 'rumour' mentioned in the early games of soul edge having been a normal weapon originally but gaining a life of it's own from all the souls that had been lost on it's cutting edge over the years) SC3's story wasn't amazing but it at least fit with the previous 2 and added some interesting elements to the 'world' such as Zasalamel's clan secretly watching over the swords as immortals and whatnot.

Hupsel

I miss Soul Calibur :( I think they will call the next game just Soul Calibur and reboot it by the way. I also miss the good single player modes from the first games in the series.

YoungOne

I'm kind of terrified that so many people are praising SCV's gameplay as it feels like the antithesis of everything I enjoyed about the series.

For me, soul calibur has always been about outwitting your opponent and reading them rather than brain-dead damage conversion. Most of the combos were about setting your opponent up (you'd expect the first few hits to be blocked or miss and catch them at a branching point or even just stop the combo early and deviate to catch them off guard once you've conditioned them.)
In SCV it felt more like the usual dial-a-combo nonsense from fighters I've lost interest in where your opponent basically has to just sit back and wait until you're done playing your private session of DDR on their health bar. This was further pushed by the nerfs to 8-way run and heck, it even feels like your influence on direction after a hit has been reduced where in the original SC you could float yourself out of people's whirling attacks fairly quickly if they didn't anticipate it properly.

For me, I feel that if we'd gotten the arcade updates on home console then SC3 would've easily been my top entry in the series as while it had some combo-ish-ness it was still not the flashy extended stuff you see in SCV and was super content rich. While I always appreciate the experimental stuff they try in each version I would love to see armour breaking either changed or gone as I'd rather see my armour damaged instead of vanishing completely leaving most CaS fighting in their undies and generally making some of the normal cast look a little underdressed too.

I don't intrinsically have an issue with them experimenting with meter management but the fact it usually lends itself to combo extension is a no-no to me. If people want long combos there's plenty of games already out there to scratch that itch so I feel they'd be better off catering to a less saturated market like... I dunno... the people who have actually been playing the series the whole time and like it for what it is rather than trying to be an SF4 rip-off? :p
Also, putting GI on meter and then giving us perfect guard seems kind of pointless as, at least for me, it just encourages you to use Perfect Guard in the same places you previously used GI for the most part (which is less risk than the original GI and can even be done by accident more easily) and relegates the GI to situations where the Perfect Guard won't give you enough frame advantage (though in most cases its better to keep the meter for those combo extensions because lol damage)

Character-wise I'm open to whatever, though Amy and Ashlotte returning would be ace for me (I don't have any issues with viola per se, but her combo-centric gameplay makes me broil with anger... I want to fight my opponent, not put them to sleep with mindless rote juggling) Dampierre's female compatriot Giselle that someone mentioned earlier looks cool but I don't know much about her (I skipped the PSP version :p )

As for the plot, I think the story has gone to pot since SC4 in all honesty (Algol basically throws the original mystery of the swords origins out the window. I liked the 'rumour' mentioned in the early games of soul edge having been a normal weapon originally but gaining a life of it's own from all the souls that had been lost on it's cutting edge over the years) SC3's story wasn't amazing but it at least fit with the previous 2 and added some interesting elements to the 'world' such as Zasalamel's clan secretly watching over the swords as immortals and whatnot.

Which you still must do in 5.

Which you still must do in 5.
True. Perhaps, on second read, I should've made it more clear I had the function combos perform in mind rather than the whole game when I made that statement :p
That said, the combos lead to larger gaps between reads due to the game stopping while someone gets helplessly pummelled for more time than in previous entries, which I feel waters down that element somewhat in the overall context (though you must still get the reads to enter the glorified QTEs in the first place)

GamerSoul

Remove those weird "super" things and give me back my Cassandra. That will be a start. I was a big fan of Soul Calibur since being exposed to it on the GC, I loved SCII,III,IV, but V didn't really click with me. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future.

Skilletor

True. Perhaps, on second read, I should've made it more clear I had the function combos perform in mind rather than the whole game when I made that statement :p
That said, the combos lead to larger gaps between reads due to the game stopping while someone gets helplessly pummelled for more time than in previous entries, which I feel waters down that element somewhat in the overall context (though you must still get the reads to enter the glorified QTEs in the first place)

Combos are glorified QTEs.

lmao.

Annnnnd...done. See you guys in the next thread where we confirm SC is dead.

Nimby

Banned
Give us a versus game, cause at this point I don't think they can do anything to make a straight up Soulcalibur 6 popular enough to justify the production cost of the single player, create a character detail, and roster size that people would actually want.

This would work.

Combos are glorified QTEs.

lmao.

Annnnnd...done. See you guys in the next thread where we confirm SC is dead.
Yes, yes, I appreciate I'm being somewhat hyperbolic :p
My issue with combos as damage conversion is that it's usually just about finding the most efficiently damaging ones and then repeating them until they're muscle memory and you dole them out whenever you get the appropriate opener, hence my oversimplification of calling them QTEs (with the games where QTE button presses don't change in mind. I know in some they're randomised)

Even if they don't appeal to my tastes in the next game and continue down the SCV path I'm sure the series will be fine, it just means I'll be looking elsewhere for my mindgames fix. (the current gathering of soul calibur players I hang with seem to have gravitated back to SCIV of all things, so I guess it'd be that :eek: )

Kai Ozu

The system of SCV was the best it ever got, for me at least. It was much deeper than past games.

Just give that to me again with its excellent netcode and I'll be good.

Also, Talim is a wack character.

Soltype

Personally I'd like to see the game pare back on everything.A smaller roster, and a more focused slower paced fighting engine.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Outside of Viola and maybe Zwei, this doesn't happen.

Remove those weird "super" things and give me back my Cassandra. That will be a start. I was a big fan of Soul Calibur since being exposed to it on the GC, I loved SCII,III,IV, but V didn't really click with me. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future.
This is such an odd complaint. Meter was in Soul Blade. It was in SCIV. You had levels of soul charge in SC1 and 2 and... 3? Those all had meter functions in one way or another. SC IV had meter tied to in instant kill mechanic. They just toned it down and made it visible in SC5.

I don't recall people saying "Soul Charge ruined SC!!!" like... Ever. People barely said anything about Critical Finish. But somehow a slightly different way of enhancing a move, that's obscene?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
You know, I love SC so much, that I hope it's a RTS with completely different characters in a sci-fi setting. They shoudl reboot the title to SynapseFuseIoN while they're at it to make the game even better. God. I'm so sick of this game being a fighting game.

Outside of Viola and maybe Zwei, this doesn't happen.

Viola? Are you forgetting the madness of Natsu's critical edge combo? I used it so often I can still do it from memory even though I've forgotten half her moveset :p
Dampierre's got some surprisingly lengthy combos if you can get the input timing right too.

Super advanced story mode

Lizardman and Yoshi are good

Rafael doesn't suck so hard he's a joke character anymore (this will never happen)

Xianghua is balanced but still fun (this will never happen)

Zasalamel returns

There's still a create mode so I can make a robot girl with Astaroth's moves

Last boss isnt some Tekken reject

Link and Darth Vader killed each other and will never return and this should be canon in all universes forever

TreIII

Make the next Soul Calibur a Musou game.

Y'know, considering Sophitia's appearance in the final WO3 update and how Koei and Bamco are pretty tight as it is, it's almost surprising that something of this sort hasn't happened, already. Could be an interesting outlet for those types of things pertaining to the Soul series that wouldn't fit in a fighter.

But oh, Bamco made sure we got Legends!

Creaking

Super advanced story mode

Lizardman and Yoshi are good

Rafael doesn't suck so hard he's a joke character anymore (this will never happen)

Xianghua is balanced but still fun (this will never happen)

Zasalamel returns

There's still a create mode so I can make a robot girl with Astaroth's moves

Last boss isnt some Tekken reject

Link and Darth Vader killed each other and will never return and this should be canon in all universes forever

giphy.gif

Although I wouldn't mind Vader's basic moveset (minus force powers) being turned into some kind of longsword dealio. Of all the guests, his moveset had some of the most potential for recycling. More than Kratos, I should think, yet they pawned off a lot of his moves on Lizardman.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Viola? Are you forgetting the madness of Natsu's critical edge combo? I used it so often I can still do it from memory even though I've forgotten half her moveset :p
Dampierre's got some surprisingly lengthy combos if you can get the input timing right too.

Damp's Hat trick combo is 3 moves. It lasts about 2 seconds at most. Natsu's isn't super long either.

I'd manage combos about long with similar damage like that on SC2HDO with freaking Maxi.

This is hardly Marvel where you get touched once then have to go make a sandwich.

Top Bottom