• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thundercats Returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ezekial45 said:
It's looks ok. I understand this is a different direction for it, but i'm a disappointed that they're going for a more epic fantasy setting with it. Technology was a big part of the older series, and it seems like they're not gonna have much of it in this new series.

Not sure about that, as on this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sizo8WYgmbE some of the new toys does show the Thundertank as well as a few other goodies we'll likely see on the show.

Wheeljack539 said:
Not sure about that, as on this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sizo8WYgmbE some of the new toys does show the Thundertank as well as a few other goodies we'll likely see on the show.

I'm buying the classic figures for sure! They look so awesome, and I recall the old toys with the five points of articulation. :(

IIRC. I think it was just hip, shoulder, and head like most toys of the time.

I hope they release all of the classic designs in this format.

Hmm, anyone notice the Mutant's lot so far in several scenes in the trailer? Looks like they're either being used as slave labor or lower class citizenry, from the beginning scenes and there are a few more sprinkled in the trailer in background scenes not at the forefront of the action.

I'd more or less guess there's going to be an uprising which would probably lead to the end of Thundera.

The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm buying the classic figures for sure! They look so awesome, and I recall the old toys with the five points of articulation. :(

IIRC. I think it was just hip, shoulder, and head like most toys of the time.

I hope they release all of the classic designs in this format.

It's all about ball joints in this market today. I loved when the G.I. Joe nerds bitched about the lack of the rubber band inside the figures for the 25th anniversary toys when those things were known to wear the hell out.

I just ordered that Lion-O/Tygra set. I originally had the Mezco 14" Lion-O ordered, but I feel I get more bang for my buck with the Bandai set.

Goddamn it. I got out of this hobby for a reason!

Novid

Banned
Its Party Time.

I can say a little more but it looks now that November 2011 is when the pilot premeres, but Corprate may want to air it in the Summer - some arguments here, but im not complaning.

We didnt forget any of the tech from the orginal series. I have some ideas but I cant reveal all of it until season 2.

Snarf doesnt work on stills, he works better in motion as you can see. I cant say much more if he talks or not.

As it being a prequel to the season one of the original as one poster stated, your in the right area. Its much more than that when your see the pilot.

Im happy they kept Kit and Kat kids and not moe-blob/shoto-bs.

Studio 4C is just getting started. You already seen what american money can do, imagine when Beserk first movie is finshed.

jett

D-Member
I saw the trailer. I said wat. I guess the plot in this cartoon has absolutely nothing to do with the original.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
ok, ive been listening to the thundertank theme in repeat for 30 minutes now. and one thing that i want are remixed versions of the original themes. this song is to badass to be forgotten.

jett said:
I saw the trailer. I said wat. I guess the plot in this cartoon has absolutely nothing to do with the original.

check Novid's post. this is so far a prequel to the original plot (not the show, the plot itself).

also, Novid, you work on the production team? do you guys think you can get to the second season? and is there an over arching story that last a season or multiple seasons?

Novid

Banned
From The Dust said:
check Novid's post. this is so far a prequel to the original plot (not the show, the plot itself).

also, Novid, you work on the production team? do you guys think you can get to the second season? and is there an over arching story that last a season or multiple seasons?

As far as I know, thats up to corprate. If the series succeeds, there going to be major changes in CN because the live action thing isnt pushing numbers like Disney did with Miss Cyrus/Lovato/Huggie-Chan-Bara(The latter is from me watching CN on a business perspective since Toonami ended)

And besides, Warners Got lot planned on the way to Comic-Con so lips are tight. Trust me, personally - for some this there last fucking chance.

Ah, the plot to restore Cartoon Network's dignity.

They can start by airing some content for classic animation aficionados again(Bugs and Daffy, Toon Heads, The Popeye Show, Bob Clampett, Late Night B&W, Tex Avery, Down Wit' Droopy D, etc etc). Then create a permanent block for modern action cartoons like they had with Toonami again.

Then the rest will fall into place.

Seth C said:
Dude, like, if you're 18, the show was off the air before you were born, or some shit.
I'm aware of that. whatever channel I watched it on (CN I think), aired it in the early 90s though

Novid said:
As far as I know, thats up to corprate. If the series succeeds, there going to be major changes in CN because the live action thing isnt pushing numbers like Disney did with Miss Cyrus/Lovato/Huggie-Chan-Bara(The latter is from me watching CN on a business perspective since Toonami ended)

And besides, Warners Got lot planned on the way to Comic-Con so lips are tight. Trust me, personally - for some this there last fucking chance.

fuck, I would gaurantee you my viewership, but I can't get CN here at college. and I would support this on principle alone. maybe iTunes

Novid

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Ah, the plot to restore Cartoon Network's dignity.

They can start by airing some content for classic animation aficionados again(Bugs and Daffy, Toon Heads, The Popeye Show, Bob Clampett, Late Night B&W, Tex Avery, Down Wit' Droopy D, etc etc). Then create a permanent block for modern action cartoons like they had with Toonami again.

Then the rest will fall into place.

Baby steps. Trust me, AS cant win "all the time" now can it?

Parallax

Novid said:

reinstating toonami would be a nice start. they already have a handful of action shows on the line-up, even its original programming only, i still think it could work. or if they plan on going the reality route, then more shows like unnatural and tower, and less like dude what would happen and the revival of slamball. the channel is segmented so badly that they heavily advertise for some shows, and not at all for others.

at least stuff like Adventure Time and Regular Show are doing well. I hope Young Justice is also do good. Green Lantern should do well (name recognition and movie should help it). Sym-bionic Titan should also be doing well. CN has been on a roll lately. however last I checked, they were still in third place behind Disney and Nick (1st, 2nd respectively). which is a shame since they have the best programming

Novid

Banned
From The Dust said:
I'm aware of that. whatever channel I watched it on (CN I think), aired it in the early 90s though

fuck, I would gaurantee you my viewership, but I can't get CN here at college. and I would support this on principle alone. maybe iTunes

We are working on that app ;)

sphagnum

Banned
There's not much of a point to bringing back Toonami, frankly. Adult Swim slowly brought on its death, because it sucked up most of the "cool" action anime and left Toonami with either a lot of crap (DICE, MAR, Rave Master, etc). Williams Street tried to shake things up in 2003 with the Tom 3.0 look, where they brought on YYH and Kenshin and had the weird gothic font, and with the Saturday night version, but the block had fallen into a weird position ratings-wise. Advertises want either kids 6-11 or adults 18-34. Toonami used to get the 6-11 demographic because its shows were "mature" and cool, but when all those sorts of shows (Bleach, Inuyasha, Trigun, etc) started airing on Adult Swim instead, it left Toonami looking kind of lame. Kids might still have been fine with Miguzi, and everyone was fine with ASA, but preteens want to look as "adult" as possible, so Toonami ended up looking like something too old for the kids but too "kiddy" to preteen audiences, hence the ratings slowly drifted away.

Toonami did a lot of good for action cartoons and especially anime in the US, but its time is over.

jett

D-Member
From The Dust said:

Oh a prequel...uhhhh hmmm okay.

Novid

Banned
From The Dust said:
at least stuff like Adventure Time and Regular Show are doing well. I hope Young Justice is also do good. Green Lantern should do well (name recognition and movie should help it). Sym-bionic Titan should also be doing well. CN has been on a roll lately. however last I checked, they were still in third place behind Disney and Nick (1st, 2nd respectively). which is a shame since they have the best programming

Nick and Disney had been fighting with each other for a long time. Toonami was CN's ace in the hole outside of the Loony Tunes marathons and other series. And trust me, when Willams Street [AS] is getting more and more of that Warner's House Money - the main network realize the writing on the wall.

And you have to realize that Nick for years after Ren and Stimpy ended have relyed on Pre-School - they were never really strong on the Boy Market and the Girl market they had so so results. Dora last i heard made Paramount nearly a billion dollars. Why you think Disney ended SoapNet?

The only money anybody is making conserning is in the Pre-school and the boy's market. Girls market has reach some sort of maturity. Boys market is where the action (to coin the phrase) is.

Parallax

sphagnum said:
There's not much of a point to bringing back Toonami, frankly. Adult Swim slowly brought on its death, because it sucked up most of the "cool" action anime and left Toonami with either a lot of crap (DICE, MAR, Rave Master, etc). Williams Street tried to shake things up in 2003 with the Tom 3.0 look, where they brought on YYH and Kenshin and had the weird gothic font, and with the Saturday night version, but the block had fallen into a weird position ratings-wise. Advertises want either kids 6-11 or adults 18-34. Toonami used to get the 6-11 demographic because its shows were "mature" and cool, but when all those sorts of shows (Bleach, Inuyasha, Trigun, etc) started airing on Adult Swim instead, it left Toonami looking kind of lame. Kids might still have been fine with Miguzi, and everyone was fine with ASA, but preteens want to look as "adult" as possible, so Toonami ended up looking like something too old for the kids but too "kiddy" to preteen audiences, hence the ratings slowly drifted away.

Toonami did a lot of good for action cartoons and especially anime in the US, but its time is over.

when toonami originally aired, the only anime series they had was voltron. johnny quest, thundercats and those hanna barbera action shows rounded out the block. they dont need anime to relaunch toonami. to be honest, they dont need tom either. just a reboot with the same feel as the original launch. they have enough action shows to fill up a line up of 2 hours. even if they were to use "classic" shows like the real adventures of johnny quest, swat kats and maybe pirates.

mokeyjoe

Looks good, faithful to the original vision but modernized well. I loved Thundercats back in the day, it was a natural transition from MOTU and, in retrospect, far superior. Although as I was a little older it didn't grab me quite as much and did recycle some of the same formulae.

itsgreen said:
Hmmm I wish Lion-o was 5 years older, looks a little too young for me. But might like it.

It makes more sense to me - Lion-O looked a little old for the character in the original, although that was part of the back-story I suppose.

Novid said:

What, are they just gonna remake/ bring back other old shows or will they be open to making new things in the action setting?

And how many success stories do they need? YJ, Ben 10 (or at least before he became a teen and the series turned to shit), Generator Rex and SBT all seem to be doing well if not VERY well in some cases ... and stuff like AT and RS are also doing very well from what I can tell.

Novid

Banned
Black-Wind said:
What, are they just gonna remake/ bring back other old shows or will they be open to making new things in the action setting?

And how many success stories do they need? YJ, Ben 10 (or at least before he became a teen and the series turned to shit), Generator Rex and SBT all seem to be doing well if not VERY well in some cases ... and stuff like AT and RS are also doing very well from what I can tell.

Its the DS/PSP success metric. Very well, but not Cable Breaking earthshattering Successes.

Suairyu

Banned
Wow. That looks really good. Cheetarah doesn't look any less ridiculous in motion, though. Is fine - I'll put up with it if this turns out good as a whole.

jett

D-Member
Thanks for the upload, looks decent.

From The Dust said:
I didn't hear the HOOOOOOOO. is it still in, or did the video just left that part out

Turn up the volume? It's there.

Noshino

sorry, my thundercats knowledge might have aged quite a bit.... who is the guy with the red mane on the first few scenes? doesn't look like Lion-O

GUUHHHH! I think I jizzed my pants a little

I don't remember the original TC being so technologicly advance

and a least this wont have the same problem as Sym Bionic Titan. they have a good line of toys to accompany the show. lets hope those actually sell though

USD

thundercatszut6.gif

thundercats22n8y.gif

I guess I'll still have a reason to watch Cartoon Network.

Qwomo

Something about the character line art looks a bit off. Not sure if it's the line width or just foreground-background differences, but it looked odd in a few frames here and there. Also the 3D mechs were jarring. Overall not Avatar: The Last Airbender quality, but it still looks rather promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom