• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thundercats Returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Dali said:
I think I've already said it once ITT, but I'm really liking the new designs. The animation in the promo was kind of iffy in spots. For instance it seemed to be lacking some movement and emotion when the characters speak and the iconic transformation looked like shit and didn't seem like a special moment at all. That's the biggest problem I spotted in the promo. The transformation scene was crap animation indistinguishable from everything else. Is splurging on a well-animated transformation scene that can be reused over the course of the series no longer considered an option? Hopefully this isn't indicative of the final product.

The parts where the characters look into the camera and speak in the promo doesn't appear to be animated by the show creators. I think those are simple "Flash-esque" animations created by the Cartoon Network folks just for the promo and are based on some character stills. You can clearly tell the difference between those stilted movements and the actual, fluid animation being done by Studio 4°C for the show. So, don't put too much stock into those moments from the promo.

As for the transformations, writer/producer Michael Jelenic mentions them in his IGN interview:

IGN said:
"Those scenes were one of the things that the 80s [series] did so well and people used to complain about them," Jelenic laughed. "But the entire episode could be terrible and you'd still be waiting for that moment -- that hero-up moment -- whether it's Voltron turning into the giant robot or Lion-O with the sword. We have a little less repetition in this show, but at the same time Mumm-Ra changing is one of those iconic moments. But we don't give it to the audience right off the bat. Everyone's going to want it as soon as they see him, but they're going to have to wait a while. But when he does it, he's pretty cool."

Slayven

Novid said:
Folks this just the start. You will say HOLY SHIT by the end of the first episode. We going on that Transendent phase you know - Batman TAS type series?
I wouldn't be mad if Silverhawks got a similar treatment.

Dali

ckohler said:
The parts where the characters look into the camera and speak in the promo doesn't appear to be animated by the show creators. I think those are simple "Flash-esque" animations created by the Cartoon Network folks just for the promo and are based on some character stills. You can clearly tell the difference between those stilted movements and the actual, fluid animation being done by Studio 4°C for the show. So, don't put too much stock into those moments from the promo.

As for the transformations, writer/producer Michael Jelenic mentions them in his IGN interview:
Wait... soooo is he saying Mumra's got a spiffy well-done transformation animation but Lion-O doesn't? I hope I'm just misinterpreting that quote. He's talking about how everyone would wait the entire episode to see Voltron change, then kind of adds some bs about repetition making a nice Lion-O transformation seem less a priority. Then he switches the subject to Mumra's transformation and pretty-much confirms he's got a nice animation, as though people care half as much about that. I've got to be misinterpreting because a quality Mumra transformation without a Lion-O one just wouldn't make any sense.

Tizoc

Glad to see LionO isn't a useless royal.
Also for those that are wondering, LionO's father
is voiced by LionO's original VA
Still sad Black Leonard Nimoy PanthrO isn't in this =/
Oh and I've never watched Thundercats, I just know stuff about it.

Tizoc

Liquidsnake said:
Now if they could just bring back MASK!!!!!!

I'd be a happy camper. I can't wait to watch this.
I watched Ep. 1 of MASK a few months ago...Venom were pathetic...intro song is still boss though.

LQX

Cheetara is not as hot but cant wait. Not sure what it is but it seems more animal focused than the original which I like. Weird that there is no Panthro and Thunder-Tank but I guess that plays out later.

spindashing said:
I call dibs on an OT.

wait, what

I had read that somewhere.. I can't find it now..

I've read another story saying that they'll start weekly episodes on august 5th.. but neither one was actually on an official site.. so I'm not sure if either one is official information.

edit:

Nevermind.. maybe that was the original air date..

Apparently there's a press release stating otherwise..

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...emiere-event-airs-friday-july-29-at-8p/96747/

Suairyu

Banned
Dragoon_lantz said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s9gkwZ3K4U&feature=share

nearly 10 mins of footage from the premiere episode
collection of a bunch of scenes
That music was tone perfect. Recalls the old tunes with the horns.

Animation was good enough. Cheetarah looks less ridiculous in motion.

Reinterpretation seems successful. Question:
Is this a sequel then to the old series? The King's speech seemed to hint at that.

Not so sure about LionO's old actor as the King. Sounds too young.

If I had one complaint of substance, it would be that it seems some very similar beats to the He-Man reboot - LionO, the somewhat rebellious young prince who isn't very princely at all with a massive chip on his shoulder about how everyone is better at fighting than him. I got tired of that trope a long time ago.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
This reboot is turning out better than expected. Very pleased with that footage.

LQX said:
Cheetara is not as hot but cant wait. Not sure what it is but it seems more animal focused than the original which I like. Weird that there is no Panthro and Thunder-Tank but I guess that plays out later.
Glad they're not blowing their load right out the gate. Gives the creators plenty of time to flesh out the characters and their world.

Panthro's gonna swoop in later and steal the spotlight Green Ranger style. Dude's just pimp like that.

ckohler

Holy shit. I was hyped already but that preview exceeded my expectations. The animation is stellar, voices sound great, and the concept looks solid. I especially love how they are giving the wily kittens a origin story arc of thier own. If there were two things I thought that might hurt the show it was Snarf and the kids but both are handled perfectly. In fact, the idea of the kittens starting out as sly street urchins is perfect.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
ckohler said:
Holy shit. I was hyped already but that preview exceeded my expectations. The animation is stellar, voices sound great, and the concept looks solid. I especially love how they are giving the wily kittens a origin story arc of thier own. If there were two things I thought that might hurt the show it was Snarf and the kids but both are handled perfectly. In fact, the idea of the kittens starting out as sly street urchins is perfect.
YES. My thoughts exactly.

This is how you do a reboot. I'm eager to see how all the other characters get translated.

the 30 second ad came on before transformers last night, and many people were cheering cause they had no idea a new thundercats was being made

was pretty cool to see, heh.

Slayven said:
So the 10 minutes that leaked has about 78x the budget of the new voltron show?
Every other cartoon has about 78x the budget of the new voltron show.

I tried watching that abomination. Worst decision ever...

But they have a black character, I give them props for that.

Slayven

spindashing said:
Every other cartoon has about 78x the budget of the new voltron show.

I tried watching that abomination. Worst decision ever...

But they have a black character, I give them props for that.
The back story on the show is more interesting then what they showed. They say the kid is a descendant of the people that originally built Voltron and he will be the key to giving it new abilities.

Slayven said:
The back story on the show is more interesting then what they showed. They say the kid is a descendant of the people that originally built Voltron and he will be the key to giving it new abilities.
That's actually pretty cool. I may give it another watch.

I feel that I'd do the original Voltron a disservice, for the new series just doesn't click with me.

tenchir

From The Dust said:
the new Wily Kittens. they look adorable

9LdPBl.jpg

Seems like they are peasants in this series because their cloth looked so common and ripped.

The primary thing that I don't like about this (from what I've seen so far) is that LionO appears about what? 16 or so? Yeah, not diggin' that one bit. It's like a Thundercats version of Ben10. So yeah, no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom