• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods arrested for DUI

Azzanadra

"Tiger Woods" is a name that screams 2010 to me, haven't even thought of the dude for years.

That mugshot though? That should be a stock image for "how the mighty have been brought low".

The Lamp

Stop pitying him. It's not like he needs to ever apply for a job. He's got enough money in the bank to die comfortably. Which is why it's even stupider he didn't buy a safe ride for this.

Hey Mr. Woods, bottle service?

VnDK9jb.jpg

Sorry, but there's no sex in the champagne room.

woods-1496072264.jpg

NYR

So he accidentally mixed up his medication at 3 in the morning?
I don't know. Just like you don't know yet still are assuming you know. We don't know all the facts. We know his side. We know he was released on his own recognizance within hours, which doesn't happen with drunks, they stick them in the tank and let them sleep it off. Until the facts come out, he has a right to the presumption of innocence, I can't believe this is even something that needs to be justified. You are entitled to your opinon, you are not entitled to presume guilt.

I don't know. Just like you don't know yet still are assuming you know. We don't know all the facts. We know his side. We know he was released on his own recognizance within hours, which doesn't happen with drunks, they stick them in the tank and let them sleep it off. Until the facts come out, he has a right to the presumption of innocence, I can't believe this is even something that needs to be justified. You are entitled to your opinon, you are not entitled to presume guilt.

Booked at 3 a.m. Released at 10:50 a.m.

He has the right to the presumption of innocence in court, not in my living room.

Welcome to Earth?

Well it wasn't opiates judging by pupil size. He'd be pinned out to have the rest of his face like that.

If the pill story is true, betting on a nerve pain drug such as neurontin or lyrica, or muscle relaxers.

Spladam

Then there's the story of the lunch, which spread throughout the Naval Special Warfare community. Guys still tell it, almost a decade later. Tiger and a group of five or six went to a diner in La Posta. The waitress brought the check and the table went silent, according to two people there that day. Nobody said anything and neither did Tiger, and the other guys sort of looked at one another.

Finally one of the SEALs said, "Separate checks, please."

The waitress walked away.

"We are all baffled," says one SEAL, a veteran of numerous combat deployments. "We are sitting there with Tiger f---ing Woods, who probably makes more than all of us combined in a day. He's shooting our ammo, taking our time. He's a weird f---ing guy. That's weird s---. Something's wrong with you."
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...-life-unraveled-years-father-earl-woods-death

The Lamp

What a shit line of thinking.

No. He has no consequences to face from this DUI other than some fines he can afford and some public embarrassment which will fade and will never be as embarrassing as his cheating scandals. He will never be turned down in a job application, he will not face a prison sentence, he won't have his life ruined by this like some other people. And his decision to drive drunk was inexcusable given how wealthy he is (not that he was probably even thinking rationally, although several people who drink with less money are smart enough to call themselves an Uber).

His possibly poor mental health and inability to responsibly avoid dangerous vices might be something to pity, but not his DUI.

Spladam

He has no consequences to face from this DUI other than some fines he can afford and some public embarrassment which will fade and will never be as embarrassing as his cheating scandals. He will never be turned down in a job application, he will not face a prison sentence, he won't have his life ruined by this like some other people. And his decision to drive drunk was inexcusable given how wealthy he is (not that he was probably even thinking rationally, although several people who drink with less money are smart enough to call themselves an Uber).

His possibly poor mental health and inability to responsibly avoid dangerous vices might be something to pity, but not his DUI.

This is true.

F34R

He released a statement..

“I understand the severity of what I did and I take full responsibility for my actions,” Woods wrote in his statement. “I want the public to know that alcohol was not involved. What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications. I didn’t realize the mix of medications had affected me so strongly.” Woods apologized to his fans and pledged to “do everything in my power to ensure this never happens again.” Woods closed his statement by thanking the Jupiter Police Department and the Palm Beach County sheriff’s office.
[LINK]https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/t...reaction-prescribed-medication-000638898.html

Syncytia

Well it wasn't opiates judging by pupil size. He'd be pinned out to have the rest of his face like that.

If the pill story is true, betting on a nerve pain drug such as neurontin or lyrica, or muscle relaxers.

Yeah, isn't his back pretty fucked up? How many surgeries has he had and then continued to golf? I know one of his knees is completely fucked, and I think a few years ago he was dropping out of tournaments for all kinds of back problems. Wouldn't be surprised if he's on all kinds of shit for nerve pain.

Edit: He just had another back surgery a month ago. Almost definitely was on some prescription(s) from that. http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/04/20/breaking-tiger-woods-undergoes-back-surgery-alleviate-ongoing-pain

M52B28

Banned
Why do people give such a damn about this man's personal life that he feels obligated to release a statement on what has happened?

As much as people obviously don't care about him on here, what difference would a statement do for him?

Why do people give such a damn about this man's personal life that he feels obligated to release a statement on what has happened?

As much as people obviously don't care about him on here, what difference would a statement do for him?
Because Tiger Woods, despite his fall from Grace, is still one of the most famous people on earth.

He wants to make money in the future.

Companies have millions of dollars invested in him.

AJLma

29,000 views and a few hundred people casting their pennys worth of judgement on this site alone. People obviously give quite a few damns. They take it more personally than Tiger.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No. He has no consequences to face from this DUI other than some fines he can afford and some public embarrassment which will fade and will never be as embarrassing as his cheating scandals. He will never be turned down in a job application, he will not face a prison sentence, he won't have his life ruined by this like some other people. And his decision to drive drunk was inexcusable given how wealthy he is (not that he was probably even thinking rationally, although several people who drink with less money are smart enough to call themselves an Uber).

Money doesn't fix everything. The idea that he can live a happy life because of money is a bullshit line of thinking, no debate to be had.

Nobody will believe it, because "court of public opinion" hurrr durrr

I don't normally share National Review pieces, but I like this piece by Kevin Williamson about the ignoble joy we take in the downfall of celebrities.

He begins with Allen Iverson (as he was editor of a Philadelphia newspaper during Iverson's highest highs and lowest lows), and how so many people took so much joy in the downfall of Iverson, but wonders whether people taking that joy would "pass the Iverson test"themselves...

We love a celebrity comeuppance. This is in part an ugly species of envy: Why should Tiger Woods get to live like a Roman emperor just for being really good at a game that is, after all, the very definition of a trivial pursuit? And how good an actor do you really need to be to star in Pirates of the Caribbean? How many hundreds of millions of dollars should someone get just for being pretty? There is something in our puritanical national soul that is satisfied by the fact that those who fly higher have farther to fall. These episodes bring out something ignoble in us. But it isn’t just celebrities, of course: The high and mighty are just the ones we talk about. An astonishing share of lottery winners go broke, and it isn’t because people with low character or weak wills are just lucky with the numbers. People like Tiger Woods and Allen Iverson, who win life’s lottery, often have the same bad luck in the end: the bad luck of being human.

(...)

Maybe you lead a more virtuous life. Maybe you just lead a smaller one. It is difficult to say without being tested. And that may be why we love the ritual public denunciation of fallen idols. If we convince ourselves that they are monsters and moral outliers, then we do not have to face the much more terrifying possibility that they are schmucks like us — and that we are schmucks like them.

We also expect a bizarre double-standard on celebrities and star athletes. Russel Wilson is routinely mocked by fans, sports media, and even other (anonymous) athletes because of the lengths he goes to "protect his brand." Things like taking away friends' phones when they come to his luxury box at sports events, making people sign NDA's when they go out with him, leading a very reclusive life by the standards of other star quarterbacks. Wilson gets shit on endlessly for these things, yet you take the opposite player -- a guy like Johnny Manziel -- who was at the apex of his talent as a 22-year-old or whatever, and was showered in whatever he could possibly want, and he was criticized for friends taking photos of them doing ice-luge shots, or getting shitfaced in public, and everything else.

Now, my penchant for pity only goes so far: Star Athletes are much less likely to have their lives brought rock-bottom by these offenses, compared to the hundreds of thousands of other people who drive drunk every month. Woods is going to hire a lawyer who will get him community service and he'll pay a fine that would bankrupt anybody else. Woods will still be able to play golf in 3 or 6 months, professionally, and will still get a sponsor to pay him $190,000 just to show up wearing a specific hat or have a specific logo stitched into his pullover. Multiple DUIs, for the average man, results in jailtime, fines that approach bankruptcy, and usually a loss of license leading to unemployment. So, for sure, the relative punishment for athletes and celebrities compared to the average man is much less, so this punishment that they get from the public sphere -- scorn by people who have really no moral highground on which to stand themselves -- might be part of the equalizer.

But, that being said, I don't think that I'd "pass the Iverson test," I'd like to think that I would now older and wiser in life, but I'm probably giving myself too much credit just, and I don't have anybody treating me like a sacred cow as these athletes (and celebrities) have had their entire lives. I take the same guttural, subconscious, immediate joy in the failure of athletes and celebrities, but I don't think it's a good or well-informed trait.

BigAT

Do people realize not realize that DUI includes things besides alcohol? Blowing a 0.0 doesn't really matter in the least.

Do people realize not realize that DUI includes things besides alcohol? Blowing a 0.0 doesn't really matter in the least.

This. It's still his fault, but it appears he was being factual. Still counts as a DUI though, because he was certainly impaired.

The Lamp

Money doesn't fix everything. The idea that he can live a happy life because of money is a bullshit line of thinking, no debate to be had.

Nobody will believe it, because "court of public opinion" hurrr durrr

I didn't say he can live a HAPPY life because of his money, go back and try reading. There are lots of rich people who don't break the law who are still unhappy. Instead, I specifically said his money will make any consequences of his DUI negligible or non-existent.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

It does matter, because everybody assumed he was lying. Pill combos can be an honest mistake that anybody could make, especially the drugs he's likely taking to help with his back.

The reason it's good to include that it's not alcohol is the stigma that surrounds it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
DUI means more than alcohol. He was still driving impaired. I added his statement to the OP, I can add the police report as well.

I know it doesn't necessarily mean drinking, but the vast majority of people will assume drinking once they see DUI.

edit-
I didn't say he can live a HAPPY life because of his money, go back and try reading. There are lots of rich people who don't break the law who are still unhappy. Instead, I specifically said his money will make any consequences of his DUI negligible or non-existent.

you said stop pittying him because of how much money he has. I pity him because of how far he's fallen and don't just assume that he's in a happy place, a fall like this comes from a dark place, where he's clearly been for years.

It does matter, because everybody assumed he was lying. Pill combos can be an honest mistake that anybody could make, especially the drugs he's likely taking to help with his back.

The reason it's good to include that it's not alcohol is the stigma that surrounds it.

If someone gets arrested at 3 in the morning for DUI, I'm going to assume alcohol is involved until given other information. This is a completely reasonable assumption, whether it's a celebrity or otherwise.

BigAT

Mixing prescription painkillers and driving around at 3:00 in the morning is no better than getting drunk and doing the same thing.

Tiger's admission being truthful should not be seen as a positive sign.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If someone gets arrested at 3 in the morning for DUI, I'm going to assume alcohol is involved until given other information. This is a completely reasonable assumption, whether it's a celebrity or otherwise.

which is exactly why I said change the title to clarify it wasn't alcohol.

Mixing prescription painkillers and driving around at 3:00 in the morning is no better than getting drunk and doing the same thing.

Tiger's admission being truthful should not be seen as a positive sign.

It is 100% better than drinking and driving in the right context. He may not have known the two combined would cause the effect it had.

Top Bottom