• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time: The 50 Best Video Games of All Time

No The Last of Us....

large.gif

Angry Birds is a better game than Street Fighter 2, Super Metroid, Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI...?

I find it hard to believe that Time actually believe that.

Salty Hippo

ROTR is not one of the best 20 games of all time but it doesn't deserve all this mockery. It's certainly better than garbage that is present on the list just because of wild commercial success, like Mortal Kombat and Angry Birds.

Sanctuary

No The Last of Us....

large.gif

Despite popular GAF opinion, it's not the best game ever made. Not that anything below the top ten makes a whole lot of sense anyway though.

ROTR is not one of the best 20 games of all time but it doesn't deserve all this mockery. It's certainly better than garbage that is present on the list just because of wild commercial success, like Mortal Kombat and Angry Birds.

Honestly not sure how you can compare Rise of the Tomb Raider to Mortal Kombat and claim that it's better. Not only are they generations apart and seperate genres, Rise doesn't even do anything new. It's also not being "mocked" as a game either, the inclusion of it over essentially every other more influential game is the problem. The original Tomb Raider games influenced a lot of the third person adventure games, and it greatly influenced Uncharted. Uncharted influenced the Tomb Raider reboots...

Saven

Banned
Did I read that right? No mgs or sonic game on that list? Not even a SF game or Chrono Trigger?

Shitastic list.

Wakka212

I feel these lists need to differentiate between game quality vs game influence / cultural impact.

Some of these titles are incredible for their time and stand the test of time as well - however have been eclipsed in terms of overall game depth and mechanics in their respective genres. At the same time, those advancements may not have been possible without the existence of these games and the impact they've had.

Idk, first thought that came to me just browsing through.

seady

I feel giving Tetris the #1 spot is like giving Candy Crush Saga #1 twenty years from now. It has a lot to do with mass appeal and nostalgic factor.

I feel these lists need to differentiate between game quality vs game influence / cultural impact.

Some of these titles are incredible for their time and stand the test of time as well - however have been eclipsed in terms of overall game depth and mechanics in their respective genres. At the same time, those advancements may not have been possible without the existence of these games and the impact they've had.

The problem with this list is, it can decide what it want to do.

I feel giving Tetris the #1 spot is like giving Candy Crush Saga #1 twenty years from now. It has a lot to do with mass appeal and nostalgic factor.

It really doesn't. Tetris is a timeless game and it absolutely deserves to be at the top spot, even if it's not my personal favorite.

Edit - You added in the "mass appeal" statement which, sure, is a part of it being #1.

People here really get kind of silly when a list doesn't fit their idea of what the best games are, huh?

A lot of enthusiasts tend to become too emotionally invested in their favorite things, so a number of them will take something that doesn't line up with their opinions as a personal offense It's definitely weird and honestly, a bit creepy.

People here really get kind of silly when a list doesn't fit their idea of what the best games are, huh?

I never really appreciated Tetris till a few years ago. Once I decided to really consider my placement and such, the gameplay really clicked with me.

Why they'd pick Starcraft 2 over Brood War is beyond me.

Otherwise it's a decent list of industry firsts and influencers. King's Quest 3 making the list was fun, the beginning of the game easily puts it over the others, though I have a soft spot for 6 in my heart.

Rise of the tomb raider is the only one that reeks of advertisement, since no one actually believes that.

Yea lots of mistakes in this list.

Time has always had a good relationship with Microsoft btw.

Tetris is actually a great first pick though. It's really hard to dispute that.

Rest of the list is garbage though.

.JayZii

Banned
Solid enough list, but these sort of ranking are rarely very interesting to read. They usually have to attempt a sort of "objective" best, which just makes them kind of bland. I think Tetris is a good choice for number one.

True. I think it's inherently flawed to try to rank any kind of art under the super broad category of "best".

Jumpman23

Nintendo getting 4 (5 if you count Tetris) of the top 10 is impressive. I would have expected Wii Sports to be in the top 10 considering it got pretty much every age demographic playing games from kids to grandparents.

Nintendo getting 4 (5 if you count Tetris) of the top 10 is impressive. I would have expected Wii Sports to be in the top 10 considering it got pretty much every age demographic playing games from kids to grandparents.

ctrl+f on every page to see if Wii Sports is mentioned, last post had it lol.

Yeah, sorta surprised at no Wii Sports on this list.

Ahasverus

ROTTR is a great game and one of the finest, most polished ones I've ever played. I can't find a flaw on it, so yeah, deserved.

It's a mixture of surprisingly good picks and head-scratchers. I'm happy to see they included my favorite arcade space shooter: Galaga! And good call picking the original Super Mario Bros as your 2D Mario choice. Can't argue with Tetris at #1 either.

The problem is that, while their list tends towards the older games in a series due to their influence (Super Mario Kart instead of MK8, Mortal Kombat instead of its' sequel), they then break that rule in puzzling ways. Like Rise of the Tomb Raider instead of the PSX original. Say what now? They also choose NES Zelda over Link to the Past as their 2D Action RPG because it came first (and Castlevania over CV 3 or SOTN), but then chose Ms Pac Man and Halo 2? Make up your mind, are you recognizing the original games in a series or their more polished sequels?

And like a lot of these lists, it's sadly missing Sega games.

Razzorn34

Top 10 is actually solid. But no mention of Street Fighter II is the top 50 is blasphemy. Especially with shit like Rise of the Tomb Raider on it.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Largely a good list, but Rise of the Tomb Raider at such a high spot is baffling. I like the game, but its certainly not one of the top 50 games ever made.

Chobel

Controversial opinion: Tetris doesn't deserve to be in the list let alone be #1.

Just because some feel nostalgic about it, that doesn't make it a good game, there's a shit ton better games than it.

Sanctuary

A lot of enthusiasts tend to become too emotionally invested in their favorite things, so a number of them will take something that doesn't line up with their opinions as a personal offense It's definitely weird and honestly, a bit creepy.

I've never been able to understand this either, and it's pretty rampant. Honestly though, I'm not sure you can even consider someone who acts this way as an "enthusiast" either.

Side note: If looking at the top ten list, and pretending the bottom 40 aren't even a factor, why are there so many "My favorite X game didn't make it = shit list" posts? The Souls games, really? They are some of my favorites from last gen and this gen, but they really aren't that influential for how long they've been out. Maybe if a new list is created in twenty years things might look different in terms of how many games they might have influenced, but I seriously doubt it.

If you look at the contributors of the article, it was made by a handful of people, and it reads like this:

1-10 (pretty accurate)
11-50 (whatever the fuck they drew from a hat out of the 150 selections each person decided to drop in from their "favorites")

I feel like Tetris is a perfect video game so it's fine that it's #1 but it's a boring choice. It's #1 on a lot of lists so whatever.

This list has committed way more crimes than that. It's insane to me that FF VI is higher than FF VII on a list like this though! They got that right at least.

This is a solid list but I'd call it "most important games of all time."

"Best" implies eternal replayability and most if not all of those games are extremely dated.

Stiler

"Best" implies eternal replayability and most if not all of those games are extremely dated.

If that was true then you should have Half Life 1 instead of Half life 2, half life 1 had a much larger impact on the entire genre of fps games then HL2 did

Same goes for Rise of hte Tomb Raider, the first Tomb Raider game basically set the gold standard for action-adventure games that others would follow like Uncharted, etc.

Yeah that's exactly what's wrong with it. Kind of blending what's best and what's most influential into a numbered list that makes no sense. Additionally, ignoring stuff like Street Fighter and giving a spot to a forgettable Tomb Raider title is confusing.

Top Bottom