• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Tower |OT| Elevator action, Dream-Jobs & Bitbook updates

brotkasten said:
40 floors and still waiting for a mapple store or a private eye. Floor 41 is already under construction and it's going to be a retail store.
My Mapple Store opened on the 22nd floor, I didn't think it'd turn up for ages

thebeeks

Banned
hPCXm.jpg

Get to work, freeloaders!

Jonnyram

I keep going to my phone to check on my tower, only to realise I deleted the app.
Man, this really gets its hooks into you lol
So glad I removed it, though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I pretty much agree with every negative criticism in here, but it's still hard to walk away from. At least it doesn't require money or bugging friends to progress...

Jasoco

Banned
Now that I've finally gotten a gold elevator, I'm going to save up my Bux and do some cleaning house too removing all the Bitizens who don't belong here and replacing them with new ones.

Right now I have 13 people in Dream Jobs out of 63.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Zzoram said:
Has anyone gotten to 100 floors? Does this game ever "end"?

I dont think so, just check the leaderboards. I bet someone has over 500 by now, I haven't checked recently

Flunkie

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I keep going to my phone to check on my tower, only to realise I deleted the app.
Man, this really gets its hooks into you lol
So glad I removed it, though.
The formula they have is so crazily good that it really keeps you locked in. Glad this didn't come out during school.

Hige

Zzoram said:
Has anyone gotten to 100 floors? Does this game ever "end"?
I just constructed my 64th floor (no IAP) and I've been playing since the first or second day the game came out. The 65th floor costs 633,750. So even if someone bought the $29.99 IAP one time, that would give them 1000 bux to convert to 2,000,000 coins. That's barely enough to afford 3 floors at the stage I'm at.

I'm currently #1309 on the leaderboards and dropping daily as more hacked saves flood the top spots. I was ranked in the #500 range when the game had only been out for a couple days, so I think hackers have gradually taken over as the game gets more public exposure. My guess is the top legitimate player might have around 80 to 85 floors built unless someone went overboard with in-app purchases.

The developer has stated that you will never have a duplicate floor, so most likely any score above
floors is a hacked score.

Zzoram

People hack iOS games?

Is everything in the game earnable without paying real money?

Once you hit the maximum number of floors, will there be anything left to do?

Flunkie

Banned
Zzoram said:
People hack iOS games?

Is everything in the game earnable without paying real money?

Once you hit the maximum number of floors, will there be anything left to do?
Yes. Especially freemium ones. It's stupid.

Yes, it is. It's actually more enjoyable to play the game without any in-app purchases, I would think.

Yes and no. You can continue stocking your floors and earning money but if you can't proceed to climb up then there's really no point.

I'm interested to see what NimbleBit does in addition to this game. DLC of some sort? More default stores? Increased level cap? More elevators? Possibilities are endless, as they usually give their games great post-release support.

Zzoram

Flunkie said:
Yes. Especially freemium ones. It's stupid.

Yes, it is. It's actually more enjoyable to play the game without any in-app purchases, I would think.

Yes and no. You can continue stocking your floors and earning money but if you can't proceed to climb up then there's really no point.

I'm interested to see what NimbleBit does in addition to this game. DLC of some sort? More default stores? Increased level cap? More elevators? Possibilities are endless, as they usually give their games great post-release support.

Pocket Frogs hasn't been updated in over 3 months.

DGRE

Banned
Wow, this one has such a great facade of being different than all the other Farmville games, and it quickly washes away. It isn't different whatsoever. It's exactly the same. If you've built one of each type of store you've already reached end-game, as far as I'm concerned.

This formula can be used for good. I know it can. But Tiny Tower is not the game that proves it.

Neki

DGRE said:
Wow, this one has such a great facade of being different than all the other Farmville games, and it quickly washes away. It isn't different whatsoever. It's exactly the same. If you've built one of each type of store you've already reached end-game, as far as I'm concerned.

This formula can be used for good. I know it can. But Tiny Tower is not the game that proves it.

I doubt any of us will get each type of store anytime soon, lol. At 35 floors currently.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Tobor said:
Still waiting on my Mapple Store as well, I'm 34 floors high.
I have 37 floors and got my Mapple store around floor 34. Still can't build a private eye yet.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's two of my bitizens' birthdays today, I just got a pop-up telling me so and got a tower bux for each one. Nice touch! Also I got my Mapple Store on floor 27. Good stock levels! I feel like I should build more residential floors to try and grab more dream jobs, but it's nowhere near as fun/satisfying as opening new businesses and seeing what they'll be. Plus it takes forever to move people in when you have a lot of floors, they should put a weighting on getting people to those floors rather than others, although then you wouldn't be using tower bux..

Once you've got a decent set of businesses, moving people in is effectively free anyway. If you move in fifteen people at a cost of fifteen Towerbux, you only need five of them to have their dream job available and you've not lost anything*. That's not hard to achieve once you've got 30-40 shops open in your tower, and the more stuff you open, the more you'll start coming out on top and making more Bux than it costs.

*Obviously technically you'd lose fifteen Bux by not getting the residents via the elevator, but for the amount of time that'd take it's not really worth worrying over.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
If you stop using the elevator though, you're missing out on VIP's, which are the fastest way to make money.

Eggo said:
If you stop using the elevator though, you're missing out on VIP's, which are the fastest way to make money.
Well yeah, you can still use the elevator in general but it's not efficient to use it specifically to fill an apartment quickly. With a 41 floor tower you've got a 2.5% chance of the bitizen wanting to go to the floor you want to move them in to, and then you've got to get that to happen five times (or more, if you're evicting crap bitizens). You'll be there for hours, and it only gets harder the more you build.

Tobor

Might be a fairly obvious tip, but try to use the Big Spender VIP on floors that guarantee a buyout of the level 3 item, and one with a high level of stock. I made 20K coins on one pop by having one buy the level 3 item in the Museum.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think the dream job roulette is what makes this fun for me, it's definitely a rush to finally fill your businesses with dream jobbers.

50 floors, 87 tenants, 87 dream jobs. Whew.

Jasoco

Banned
Tobor said:
Might be a fairly obvious tip, but try to use the Big Spender VIP on floors that guarantee a buyout of the level 3 item, and one with a high level of stock. I made 20K coins on one pop by having one buy the level 3 item in the Museum.
Yeah, it's my favorite thing to do. I just wish I could tell when it's a "big spender" or a "celebrity". Are there any design differences? They both look like people with sunglasses.

Chopper

mattiewheels said:
I think the dream job roulette is what makes this fun for me, it's definitely a rush to finally fill your businesses with dream jobbers.

That's an amazing effort. Sounds expensive to me...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
50 floors, 72 of 82 dream jobs here. And no signs of me quitting this game. I've been slowing down in checking into my tower though, primarily just stocking the 3rd items for each store. For bucks, I've been farming them by moving people in and getting a very good success rate in getting dream job Bitizens. I don't care about evicting them!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
mattiewheels said:

Yeah, that's my main goal now that I'm working for it.

Currently around 80% dream jobs filled.

I'm up at 2 in the morning because I'm only 3,500 coins away from my next floor with something like a 19 hour build time, and so if I do it before I go to bed I can open it tomorrow.

Stupid game :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Jasoco said:
Yeah, it's my favorite thing to do. I just wish I could tell when it's a "big spender" or a "celebrity". Are there any design differences? They both look like people with sunglasses.

I believe big spenders are male, celebrities are female.

Tobor

Jasoco said:

Big Spender always wears green.

Chopper

dallow_bg said:
Yeah, that's my main goal now that I'm working for it.

Currently around 80% dream jobs filled.
But...I don't even.

How do you decide which bitizens to evict? Just any that doesn't correspond with a dream job? Should I just disregard their stats completely? I don't know if I have the bux for this...

mattiewheels

Chopper said:
That's an amazing effort. Sounds expensive to me...
Heh, I do babysit this game all day while I'm working, but they really shower you with enough free bux that it's pretty easy. Plus, paying for a new tenant that you have a dream job for gets you 3 bux, so you can constantly pump up your bux if you have a lucky streak with that stuff.

As far as who to evict, it's best not to go crazy with that till you hit 20 floors. Then, evict people who have the lowest numbers first, wait for elevator people to replace them or pay bux to do it faster, and eventually you'll start seeing people with dream jobs that you actually have in your building. I really think that's the real 'game' part that keeps me interested.

Hige

Does anyone have these service shops?

Tutoring Center
Martial Arts
Doctor's Office
Private Eye

They're the top 4 service shops in terms of stock amount, but not a single person in my friend list has any of them. Wonder if the floor requirement is really high or something.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Hige said:
Does anyone have these service shops?

Tutoring Center
Martial Arts
Doctor's Office
Private Eye

They're the top 4 service shops in terms of stock amount, but not a single person in my friend list has any of them. Wonder if the floor requirement is really high or something.
I have the Tutoring Center, but the other three are locked out. I'm guessing you need at least floor 50 before they are available. Currently have 38 floors. Also, the Cyber Cafe has more inventory than the Tutoring, so that's where my VIP goes. 36,000 every time I get a big spender.

Wallach

Eggo said:
I have the Tutoring Center, but the other three are locked out. I'm guessing you need at least floor 50 before they are available. Currently have 38 floors. Also, the Cyber Cafe has more inventory than the Tutoring, so that's where my VIP goes. 36,000 every time I get a big spender.

What do you mean they are locked out?

Chopper

mattiewheels said:
Heh, I do babysit this game all day while I'm working, but they really shower you with enough free bux that it's pretty easy. Plus, paying for a new tenant that you have a dream job for gets you 3 bux, so you can constantly pump up your bux if you have a lucky streak with that stuff.

As far as who to evict, it's best not to go crazy with that till you hit 20 floors. Then, evict people who have the lowest numbers first, wait for elevator people to replace them or pay bux to do it faster, and eventually you'll start seeing people with dream jobs that you actually have in your building. I really think that's the real 'game' part that keeps me interested.
Awesome. I gave this a go last night, and I now have 66 bitizens out of 84 in their dream job. Took me about an hour, and I ended up with 15 more bucks than I started with!

Presumably, this is only really possible if you're not stocking anything? I did it towards the end of the night, after all my major products had re-stocked and before I set up my restocking to take place overnighht. Otherwise, you are severely restricted as to who you can evict.

But you're right. That was the most fun I've had with the game in ages!

Wallach said:
What do you mean they are locked out?
Businesses are "locked" until you reach a certain floor. So you probably can't open a Mapple Store on the second floor when you start your tower because it's "locked" until your tower is 20 floors tall.

That's an example, I don't think anyone knows the actual specifics but that's the theory.

Wallach

toythatkills said:
Businesses are "locked" until you reach a certain floor. So you probably can't open a Mapple Store on the second floor when you start your tower because it's "locked" until your tower is 20 floors tall.

That's an example, I don't think anyone knows the actual specifics but that's the theory.

I know the theory, but his post seemed awful specific, like he knew they were actually locked out to him somehow.

Chopper

Yeah, I think the Mapple Store is a bad example. I got that quite early too. I'm at 49 floors, and haven't seen any of the rarer floors yet either. I don't think I'll see anything unusual for a long time, seeing as there are loads of common floors that I don't have yet.

I bet some of the floors are rare, and no-one seems to realise it cos they're boring. Does anyone have a Mens Fashion and Women's Fashion, for example? I'm past being able to find this stuff out. And I'm too anal to just build one kind of floor for ages in an attempt to get the later stuff.

I did not think this thread would last at all, but if anything, it looks like people are getting more enthused by this game as time goes on! Gambling for dream jobs has really livened it up for me!

Top Bottom