• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiny Tower |OT| Elevator action, Dream-Jobs & Bitbook updates

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So far 28 floors, 50 bitizens, 18 dream jobs.

And screw the small inventory food shops, they're a nightmare to manage.

Cmagus

6 floors so far for me about 1000 coins from adding another apartment I need more employees.Right now my comedy club isn't doing much though.I am cmagus on game center if anyone wants to add

It's taking me a long time to progress in this game because I am obsessed with only employing bitizens in their dream jobs, and if I can't cater for them I evict them and move another one in.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The first store I opened (as part of the tutorial) was a pub, the 1-coin item has a stock of 15, easily what I spend most of my time restocking. At least it only takes 1m. Love the Wood Shop though, each of the items are in the thousands, can leave that alone for hours!

I can't make sense of why I love this game as much as I do. I keep trying to tell myself its more like sim tower than farmville. But whatever it is, it's awesome and I can't stop playing it.

I got a citizen with 0s for all stats. I keep her just for kicks.

Chopper said:
Yeah, I think the Mapple Store is a bad example. I got that quite early too. I'm at 49 floors, and haven't seen any of the rarer floors yet either. I don't think I'll see anything unusual for a long time, seeing as there are loads of common floors that I don't have yet.

I bet some of the floors are rare, and no-one seems to realise it cos they're boring. Does anyone have a Mens Fashion and Women's Fashion, for example? I'm past being able to find this stuff out. And I'm too anal to just build one kind of floor for ages in an attempt to get the later stuff.

I did not think this thread would last at all, but if anything, it looks like people are getting more enthused by this game as time goes on! Gambling for dream jobs has really livened it up for me!

I do.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am ready to write a lengthy post about how Tiny Tower has some of the best game design of any game on iOS.

But I can't stop playing it. Even after a backup restore lost me a day + of progress.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
enzo_gt said:
I am ready to write a lengthy post about how Tiny Tower has some of the best game design of any game on iOS.

But I can't stop playing it. Even after a backup restore lost me a day + of progress.
This isn't a new kind of game or something.

cjdunn

tt01.jpg

A Lewis Black reference. I love these devs.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Wallach said:
I know the theory, but his post seemed awful specific, like he knew they were actually locked out to him somehow.
They are locked out to me. I built one of every blue service store there was, in an attempt to force the Private Eye to appear. I need three more service stores to have them all, but when I try to build one more, I get the message "no new floors of this type for your level". Every time I build a new floor, I try to build a service floor, until it will let me. I assume lev 50 is the req. Curently at 38.

barnone

Is this game scheduled for content updates?

Farming bitizens is a pain... I try to keep each apartment 4/5 stock to maximize the variety of bitizens I get off the elevator. But I usually end up keeping the 9s even though I don't have their dream job

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Farming bucks is a pain, I wish I could organize Bitizens in the Bitizens list. Having to scroll 85+ Bitizens to find the unemployed one is annoying. I want some auto-sorting feature or something

Neki

I hate getting food floors. Creative floors are so much better, so much stock, but the demand for them is so low right now. :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
dallow_bg said:
This isn't a new kind of game or something.
Have a feeling he's talking about how incredibly well suited and designed it is in the context of iOS. It's incredibly intuitive, you can swipe around like a pro in about a minute of first playing, and it just sits so comfortably in iOS instead of feeling like a desktop game crammed onto an iPod. Kind of reminds me of the gaf webapp as far as maneuvering around without even thinking about it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just look at these guys. They jus don't give a dam.
8tB4hQG

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
mattiewheels said:
Have a feeling he's talking about how incredibly well suited and designed it is in the context of iOS. It's incredibly intuitive, you can swipe around like a pro in about a minute of first playing, and it just sits so comfortably in iOS instead of feeling like a desktop game crammed onto an iPod. Kind of reminds me of the gaf webapp as far as maneuvering around without even thinking about it.
This is exactly what I'm talking about, I never said this is the most original gme. Its has a pro notification system, a clean, purposeful, functional AND aesthetically pleasing UI, does not punish you for not playing (I wasn't sure of this when I read it in OP, or how it'd be even possible but this game has managed it), and is 'just right' when it comes to complexity and scaling difficulty for the game of this magnitude. Intentional or not, this game pulls off everything amazingly well, it's crazy.

And then..

a9XeX.png

..fucking awesome.

Hige

Eggo said:
They are locked out to me. I built one of every blue service store there was, in an attempt to force the Private Eye to appear. I need three more service stores to have them all, but when I try to build one more, I get the message "no new floors of this type for your level". Every time I build a new floor, I try to build a service floor, until it will let me. I assume lev 50 is the req. Curently at 38.
Hm, that's interesting. I'm starting to think that the store types are all grouped together and arranged by inventory level. The reason I think that is quite a few of my friends already have Mapple Stores and Cyber Cafes by floor 30 or 40, each store being the best in their category. In other words, you should be able to construct all the Food stores at a lower floor requirement than the Service stores. I was lucky with the Recreation stores and already constructed the top 4 stores in that category, but I haven't had any luck with the Service category.

Swig_

I'm trying to enjoy this game, and while it is addicting to play, it's getting annoying.

It seems like the game is basically designed to force you to buy bucks with real money. Yes, I realize they're trying to make money off of the game, but it's ridiculous when it takes 1 real life day to build a new floor waiting on money to come in. And I'm only at about 19 floors. If I keep playing this in a week is it going to take me a month just to build a new floor that costs 900,000 coins? Plus it just feels like cheating to me. It's the same as putting in a money code to SimCity.. except I have to pay real money for it.

I've grown tired of grinding the elevator in hopes of a free buck or VIP visit. I feel like a junkie jonesing for a fix.. "Come on man.. just give me a buck.. I'll do.. "landlord stuff".. just give me a buck.."

Plus I keep getting screwed with shops/citizens. I only have 2 shops that are dream jobs for my bitizens. I keep getting 4 people that want to work at an asian restaurant or a mmaple store, but I get a vegan restaurant or a volleyball court instead.

I really like the atmosphere and the charm, but it's wearing me thin because it's becoming so expensive to progress without buying bucks. And I'm just playing it like Bonsai.. letting it grow and making adjustments here and there. I couldn't imagine if I were playing it continually. I just wish there was more depth to it. It's really shallow after you look past how well designed the interface is and the charm of the characters and art design.

Tobor

You don't have to pay the developers a penny if you don't want to. The game is designed to work either way. Your "Bonsai" strategy is the problem. You don't have enough dream jobs. Work on that and the money will start piling in much faster.

Hige

Kod1ak said:
It seems like the game is basically designed to force you to buy bucks with real money.
Not at all. This is by far the most lenient freemium game I've played. I have 67 floors and I haven't spent a dime on this game. The game is quite generous with handing over bux and I've never felt the pressure to pay real money to progress unlike most other freemium games. I never buy anything in freemium games and usually lose interest after a week when I hit a wall all of a sudden, but I haven't had the same problem with Tiny Tower yet. I really like that Tiny Tower loads quickly, doesn't force ads upon you or make you add facebook friends to get better items. For me, it's been a very different experience from other games of this type.

Wallach

It's funny because after a while of not spending any money, I kind of felt like they hadn't really done much to make people want to spend real money. The only real reason I even paid these guys any money was to support them because I feel like this is a pretty solid little game. All I did was stuff that into my final elevator upgrade anyway. I'm at 27 floors and counting and I still don't feel very compelled to make any more IAPs for it. In fact I probably won't just to see how far I can get my tower without doing so, because it feels like they hand out a lot of "Tower Bux" just for playing it.

Swig_

Tobor said:
You don't have to pay the developers a penny if you don't want to. The game is designed to work either way. Your "Bonsai" strategy is the problem. You don't have enough dream jobs. Work on that and the money will start piling in much faster.

I can't make it give me dream jobs. All I can do is build floors and hope that I get residents to move in that want to work in those jobs. I guess I could start evicting people and hope some of the turnover would produce better citizens, but then that would affect my shops and income. I've only evicted a couple people so far, because they were worthless at everything.

Tobor

Kod1ak said:
I can't make it give me dream jobs. All I can do is build floors and hope that I get residents to move in that want to work in those jobs. I guess I could start evicting people and hope some of the turnover would produce better citizens, but then that would affect my shops and income. I've only evicted a couple people so far, because they were worthless at everything.
That's the game. You try to get dream jobs. Make more apartments, and evict people until you get dream jobs. Once you do, you'll start racking up money from the double stock bonuses.

mattiewheels

I think the natural selection that comes out of the dream job roulette is really interesting. These guys I have staffed definitely look evolved from the normals, ha.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Wario64 said:
Farming bucks is a pain, I wish I could organize Bitizens in the Bitizens list. Having to scroll 85+ Bitizens to find the unemployed one is annoying. I want some auto-sorting feature or something

If you don't have many unemployed Bitizens, it's easy. Look for the orange unhappy face on the right. I only have 5 bitizens out of 53 who are in non-dream jobs, and they are all employed, so only one person at a time is unemployed in my tower.

I'm not as heartless as you guys. I'm not going to evict everyone until I find people with dream jobs already set up.

Well I've been enjoying the game so much I splurged, paid $5 and upgraded my elevator twice. The devs deserve it, it's my favorite iOS game at the moment hands down.

Protip: instead of sitting and staring at the timers, just go and do something else and come back when it's ready.

You don't have to stop your life while you wait for something.

(I realise you didn't mean it literally, but my point still stands. There's no pressure to speed anything up and no punishment for not being there when something finishes building.)

toythatkills said:
Protip: instead of sitting and staring at the timers, just go and do something else and come back when it's ready.

You don't have to stop your life while you wait for something.

(I realise you didn't mean it literally, but my point still stands. There's no pressure to speed anything up and no punishment for not being there when something finishes building.)
Yeah I browse GAF on my iPad and then I get notifications when things have been restocked. Super convenient. This isn't really the kind of game where you have to, or want to, sit and watch it the whole time.

Plaguefox said:
But realistically, no thanks. I want to play games on my time, not when it tells me it's ready for me. This isn't a problem in games where your grind timers are well-balanced, but it's a huge problem when your grind timers are a built in mechanism for encouraging additional spend.
Whenever I want to play Tiny Tower (on my time) there's always something to do. Stuff needs stocking, people need ferrying. Your problem is just your own impatience and it's silly to criticise the game for something which is an issue with you.

Huff

Banned
Neuromancer said:
I'm not as heartless as you guys. I'm not going to evict everyone until I find people with dream jobs already set up.

Well I've been enjoying the game so much I splurged, paid $5 and upgraded my elevator twice. The devs deserve it, it's my favorite iOS game at the moment hands down.

I actually want to spend money on these devs, but I don't want to feel like I'm cheating at the game lol. Elevator upgrades sounds like the way to go

Plaguefox said:
Oddly, I thought the best time to criticize a game was when I had a personal issue with it.
You can criticise the game for a problem with the game. You can't criticise the game for a problem with you

BroHuffman said:
I actually want to spend money on these devs, but I don't want to feel like I'm cheating at the game lol. Elevator upgrades sounds like the way to go
Yeah fortunately it works out well when you spend $5 and get 100 game bucks.

1st elevator- 25 game bucks
2nd elevator- 75 game bucks

I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of spending 75 game bucks in the usual way.

Jasoco

Banned
All I need is a goddamned Sky Burger. I have three people with dreams of working there and had to evict a fourth so I could get a Bitizen for my mini golf.

Jasoco said:
All I need is a goddamned Sky Burger. I have three people with dreams of working there and had to evict a fourth so I could get a Bitizen for my mini golf.
I just got one, but nobody wants to work there.

Nori Chan

So something went wrong with my iPhone and I had to restore it.

Unfortunately everything in Tiny Tower was erased. Meaning I'm back to the tutorial. Every other game I have has retained their memory. Is there a way to return my past game or anything?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jasoco said:
The first Food Store I built was a Sky Burger, but no one in my Tower dreams of working there.

TheMan

A couple of questions...

How are you all getting money (not towerbux) so quickly? Are you paying for towerbux and then converting?

Second, am I imagning things or can shops only sell one item at a time? Maybe restocking takes so long that the first item sells out, but I'm not sure.

TheMan said:
A couple of questions...

How are you all getting money (not towerbux) so quickly? Are you paying for towerbux and then converting?

Second, am I imagning things or can shops only sell one item at a time? Maybe restocking takes so long that the first item sells out, but I'm not sure.
You want to have 3 workers in each shop, they will each be able to stock a product. The 3rd product will be your biggest money maker. I know you can have 3 products selling at the same time if you time it right; in fact you get a cash bonus for doing so.

I never convert bucks to money unless I'm really impatient about buying a new floor.

Noriega said:
So something went wrong with my iPhone and I had to restore it.

Unfortunately everything in Tiny Tower was erased. Meaning I'm back to the tutorial. Every other game I have has retained their memory. Is there a way to return my past game or anything?
I think you're hosed, sorry. =(

I really wish iOS games had cloud saving or something. That way I could play the same game save on my iPhone and iPad, alternately.

Top Bottom