• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tips for using NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be nice if "Mobile Warning" was mandatory when creating a heavy .gif OT . Most do it but I've browsed a couple threads at work on my phone only to have it catch fire.

I almost immediately disabled gifs in mobile settings when I first used mobile. Shit cripples browsing otherwise.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Would be nice if "Mobile Warning" was mandatory when creating a heavy .gif OT . Most do it but I've browsed a couple threads at work on my phone only to have it catch fire.
You can set it to make it "click to show" pictures. Saves RAM and data that way.

This is a great thread to ask because I am still confused....and miiiight have been banned for it...when can I bump an old thread versus when should I start a new thread? I read all the FAQs and not quite sure I am confident...so I just avoid bumping old threads at all.

You can set it to make it "click to show" pictures. Saves RAM and data that way.
Oh snap. I didn't know I could do this.

besada

Banned
This is a great thread to ask because I am still confused....and miiiight have been banned for it...when can I bump an old thread versus when should I start a new thread? I read all the FAQs and not quite sure I am confident...so I just avoid bumping old threads at all.

Oh snap. I didn't know I could do this.

New news, new thread. Basically, if a thread is old, don't bump it. When you do, people don't look at the last post, they look at the OP, and start responding to it again.

Platy

Here is one that took me a long time :

The and the tags exist but they are not avaliable on the posting menu.

Strike is specialy good for jokes but I haven't found much use for the highlight tag

Platy

If you click in an orange logo before the post it links to the first post you didn't read in a thread.

If you click in the number of posts the thread has it gives you the wall of shame

Shit, I totally forgot about that. Thanks, mate.
How are nested quotes done? I quotes aces&heights, and what he quoted from alr1ght disappeared. I've seen people nest quotes before with more than one level - how is it done?

You click on the + quote for all the posts you want ... and copy and past the quotes where you want them to go =/

AlexMogil

If you click in an orange logo before the post it links to the first post you didn't read in a thread.

If you click in the number of posts the thread has it gives you the wall of shame

You click on the + quote for all the posts you want ... and copy and past the quotes where you want them to go =/

Uh

Hey wow it works!

Thanks!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
it would be nice if there was a list of the banned websites (stuff you cant link) somewhere

Categories of site you can't link:
- Fake news sites (e.g. occupy democrats; addicting info; natural news; etc.)
- Fake gaming news sites (e.g. k pop starz, who claimed gta 6 houston was revealed behind closed doors at e3 2014)
- Nominally real gaming news sites that aggressively post fake E3 rumors and then double down when they get called out for it and then insist their sources are real and they aren't making things up even though they end up 100% wrong

Other random sites that we have blocked linking to historically:
- VG Chartz -- because it was pervasively a problem in sales discussion threads
- Daily Mail -- because that one guy who posted nothing but Liberal Welfare Queen Eats Hundreds of Big Mac outrage stories from there until he got permed for posting a stirring defence of beating the shit out of your kids

There are a few other one-offs, mostly from pre-2005, or websites that have spammed advertising through GAF PMs.

In general if you post something from one of these sites, the right behavior is just to edit out the post and say "oops, unreliable source" and we're not going to punish anyone.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Code:
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9taKa7UIAASSoI.jpg[/img]
omg, is this real?

Folks, there are only a scant few moderators for a board of this size and we cannot see everything. No one has the time to look through every thread.

If you have a problem in a thread, please PM an online mod. This will not always guarantee the outcome you're looking for, but at least we'll know a thread or a post is becoming a problem.
I'm wondering, any reason why there isn't simply a "report" system? "Report this post" is a basic feature in various forum softwares, and that's typically more intuitive than going to the staff list and finding a mod to PM.

Stop and think about the best way to convey your idea, and if that best way really involves sarcasm. Sarcasm is cheap and easy, doesn't make you look particularly clever, and on a forum causes all sorts of problems. Nothing wrong with the occasional quip, but if sarcasm is your primary mode of communication, you're doing neither yourself, nor the rest of us any favors.
:( Uh-oh...

Don't pre shit up threads. Just because you're sure someone is going to come in and say something stupid doesn't mean you need to come in and say it sarcastically first. This is irritating as shit, and shit posting, so you court a ban when you do it.
Agreed with this so much. It usually sets the tone too and insta-derails a thread.

New news, new thread. Basically, if a thread is old, don't bump it. When you do, people don't look at the last post, they look at the OP, and start responding to it again.
Another question: why not auto-lock old threads if it's that frowned upon? I'm sure there are forum software plugins for that. I guess we'd miss out on the few times where a bump is warranted and/or really funny though.

Ran rp

You can hide things like free game keys in tags. That way only gaffers can see them when they quote the post. Example: [EMAIL="lurkers drool! 😂😂😂"]🤔

Here is one that took me a long time :

The and the tags exist but they are not avaliable on the posting menu.

Strike is specialy good for jokes but I haven't found much use for the highlight tag

Scary Stories

PSA to new gaf members, never create threads that start with the following:

• Am I the only one...
  • Can we all agree to....

Threads with such titles will always fail, and incite mockery (deserved) against you.

besada

Banned
Another question: why not auto-lock old threads if it's that frowned upon? I'm sure there are forum software plugins for that. I guess we'd miss out on the few times where a bump is warranted and/or really funny though.

I don't know, but if I had to guess, it's a mixture of our old vbulletin software not being able to run plugins because they've all moved onto newer versions, and no one bothering to do it.

Stump may know more.

LeonSPBR

The + quote just blew my mind.... how the hell I didn't see that.

televator

Yeah, just imagine like a hundred of those all swimming through your vision.

It makes a white background hellish.

eye_diseases_and_cond_s17_floaters3.jpg

That and if I sit in a dark area, light GAF will burn my fucking retinas.

#DarkGAFrulez

Fat4all

Banned
when you hit Edit on the website edition, it changes your post into a box and gives you a few options for quickly editing your post, right?

Well, if you hit Edit again while that quick edit is up, it will send you to a new page similar to a posting page where you can edit your posts with more options then you have from a normal quick edit (like bullet points, indents, spoilertags, etc).

dunno if that was well known or not

also, dark theme is lame
it should be replaced with a purple theme

PSA to new gaf members, never create threads that start with the following:

• Am I the only one...
  • Can we all agree to....

Threads with such titles will always fail, and incite mockery (deserved) against you.
If you really want to ask the 'am I the only one" question, at least ask something like "who else in here"

Because am I the only one is my biggest pet peeve.

What's with all the dark theme hate some of us don't go outside and the light theme is like looking into the sun. I'd like to live in a world where darks and lights can get along

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm wondering, any reason why there isn't simply a "report" system? "Report this post" is a basic feature in various forum softwares, and that's typically more intuitive than going to the staff list and finding a mod to PM.

Being vaguely aware of other forums that had or have a similar feature. It ends up being a nightmare.

Aeana

Here is the best tip for using NeoGAF:

We can't make you be nice.

For the various folks who'd like to blame moderation for allowing people to act cruelly, that's something you should probably know. More to the point, you don't want us to try and make you be nice, because we have blunt tools, and the way we'd do it is tighten up on banning negative, hostile comments.

You don't want us to do that, because you're guilty of it. Go look in your reading history right now. If you can't find a single comment that someone might think was nasty or unpleasant, I will be deeply surprised. That means the rest of you would be banned.

No rule we can put up, no pogrom of bans, no effort on our part can make you change the way you talk to other people. I've spent a lot of time on OT trying to convince people not to be assholes directly to each other, with little success, so the idea that we're going to stop people from being assholes about someone who isn't here or made promises they didn't keep, is a fantasy.

The only person that can make you behave better, make you remember that there are people on the other side of the keyboard, is you. And you can't make anyone else behave better, either. Each of us can only be responsible for ourselves.

It's easy to blame "GAF" as if the software and hardware were making the comments. It's easy to blame moderation, although it's you guys who create all the content, not us. It's less easy to take a look at your own posting and make changes. But if you want GAF to be a nicer place, that's literally your only option, because GAF is a collective of thousands of different voices, and those voices create the chorus that people perceive.

So keep throwing stones -- at developers, at moderators, at your fellow posters -- but you're part of the problem, and rather than deal with your part in the problem, you're engaging in negativity about other posters, the forum, and its staff. Try, instead, treating fellow posters, developers, and staff as if they were people. Consider that your funny, cruel joke is less funny and more cruel, and maybe don't post it. Moderate your language and instead of calling people scam artists, or shoving your head up your ass in self-righteousness about your consumer rights, consider that the company you're railing against is really just people trying to make something neat and failing rather than a conspiracy to rob you and make you play bad games.

It also answers this post:

These 5 Easy Tricks Will Make You Immune To Bannings.

Do This One Thing If You Want To Become A NeoGAF Moderator.

During the last couple of rounds of new moderators, we have had quite a bit of trouble identifying candidates. People just haven't been contributing as positively as they did in the past.

Please be good and make this place better.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've never actually taken the time to figure this out but how do you link to to specific times in links to youtube videos?

add #t=5m30s to the end of the link where the part before the m is minutes and the part after the m and before the 3 is seconds:

For example, here is Harry Styles performing on SNL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNaz_UagRA#t=0m29s

The riff you hear at 0:29-0:31 is an exact copy of Badfinger's Baby Blue at 0:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkA7xQb6uPk#t=0m05s

Griss

You can use advanced search.

Search >> Advanced Search >> Enter your username and whatever keyword you want >> make sure "Find posts by user" and "Exact name" and "Search entire posts" are set. Show Results as posts.

Any search is limited to 1500 results, if you need to narrow it down from there without using a better keyword, you can use the "Find Posts from" and "Sort Results by" and "Search in Forum(s)" to help.

Thanks a whole bunch... for some reason I always thought you had to choose whether to search the username OR keywords but not both. That's where I was going wrong.

Fades

Banned
Hey there!

lurking at least 3 hours a day though ;)

I just became a member, like, last month, so it's been a while. I just lurked for a while because I didn't feel confident enough to post, and if I started posting back when I registered I would have been banned pretty quickly because I was kind of an idiot.

I've never actually taken the time to figure this out but how do you link to to specific times in links to youtube videos?

I'm not sure how on mobile (if you even can), but on regular YouTube, click on the share button below the video title, then the little box beneath it that says "Start at:"
NkYDIey.png

Or you can do it manually like Stump said.

Thanks for the write up and tips! I'll have to move on to using Code Tags for images now. Is there a specific reason why they have a different color background though? Always found in quite odd.

"Every Time I feel compelled to post a thread, it ends badly..." <--- I tend to repeat this to myself a few times a month so it helps protect GAF from my rants :)

Trouble

Banned
I suspect that if you are generally not a dick and play nice, but enjoy edging right up to what is acceptable, sometimes a nice mod will just delete your post instead of banning you.

I'm not saying it's ever happened to me twice or anything, just a feeling I have.

Ran rp

add #t=5m30s to the end of the link where the part before the m is minutes and the part after the m and before the 3 is seconds:

For example, here is Harry Styles performing on SNL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNaz_UagRA#t=0m29s

The riff you hear at 0:29-0:31 is an exact copy of Badfinger's Baby Blue at 0:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkA7xQb6uPk#t=0m05s

I just became a member, like, last month, so it's been a while. I just lurked for a while because I didn't feel confident enough to post, and if I started posting back when I registered I would have been banned pretty quickly because I was kind of an idiot.

I'm not sure how on mobile (if you even can), but on regular YouTube, click on the share button below the video title, then the little box beneath it that says "Start at:"
NkYDIey.png

Or you can do it manually like Stump said.

Just right click the video and select "Copy video URL at current time".

That's a better question for someone at admin level, but from someone who has modded other forums with that feature previously, the issue there is making it completely low efforts leads to a ton of false flags and harassment reporting.

Currently, you have to decide if it's really worth a report and then take the time to explain what you feel the problem is. Gives us more information than "Reported Post - Trolling" that I'd get on my other forums, which ultimately just turns into a bulleted list of stuff to sift through where 80% of the reports are just "I don't like this person."

I suspect that if you are generally not a dick and play nice, but enjoy edging right up to what is acceptable, sometimes a nice mod will just delete your post instead of banning you.

I'm not saying it's ever happened to me twice or anything, just a feeling I have.

It differs from mod to mod, but generally I would prefer to warn people that they're heading in a poor direction rather than banning them. The closer you are to civil, the more I'm able to choose that path.

Again, help us help you.

Am I the only one who misses gif avatars? That was one of my favourite features of GAF back in the day. Good o'l Enk, in particular....

It differs from mod to mod, but generally I would prefer to warn people that they're heading in a poor direction rather than banning them. The closer you are to civil, the more I'm able to choose that path.

Again, help us help you.
I think a mod PM quoting the message with a "Cut this shit out" comment would be pretty nice; but then again, with the sheer volume of posters here and the duties of moderators I understand the difficulty in that.

televator

Nobody mentioned the number 1 rule?

If you're gonna be first post in a fresh new thread, make sure you nail it. If you don't nail it, you'll ruin everything.

Nachos

Spoiler tags for images don't work on MobileGAF.

Juniors​

Don't Know​

How To Triforce Indent​
Careful, though: MobileGAF doesn't take to indents too well, and if you use enough of them (like some do to center their text), the text will be pushed right off the screen.

---

You can also stop GAF from formatting text tags by wrapping everything in noparse tags:

With noparse:
[i][b]Pointless Text[/b][/i]

Without:
Pointless Text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom