• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

EL CUCO

I don't think watching videos can express it really, is that your only recent experience of Titanfall?
Yeah, I didn't play the first one so I've been watching A LOT of footage since the tech test ended. I was one of 8 people watching someone on stream till right now lol.

But I can see exactly whats going on. The core movement and fluidity is there. If we can have the proper canvas (maps) to mess around in we'll be good I think.

E92 M3

I like it better than where Titanfall 1 hipfire is at but man it's a bit too strong, no? They should do something about it.

That isn't a glitch, that's amped. lol

I knew I should have tried that gun! That said, I don't want them touching hipfire because like most of the time, it will get overnerfed and we will be back to ADSing everything lol.

Hipfire felt so REFRESHING in the tech test.

Don't speak for everyone. There's a lot of people very eager for the games release and most really good players are excited with the possibilities they've seen from the tech test.

WOW, i saw this posted on the subbreddit.

http://imgur.com/BTY0Siu

For those of you that think amped perk shouldn't be removed and that claim hipfire accuracy is "fine"

that's absurd, Respawn, seriously dudes.

Even with reduced accuracy that could haappen. We also know the game isn't even finished, they probably just haven't put in damage drop off over longer ranges.

I think people are forgetting this was a pre-alpha build being tested for their back end capabilities.

Skidd

I don't like slow gameplay, I love the fast paced gameplay of Titanfall 1&2.
This all feels very contradictory to me. You do not like chaos, yet you still like fast gameplay? I hope that you realize that as the pace of the gameplay increases, so too does the chaos. One can't ask for one when they are inherently related to each other.

At the fast end of that spectrum you have games like Quake, Unreal Tournament and to a certain extend, Titanfall 1. If aftermentioned games were not to your liking, then maybe you should consider the fact that maybe Titanfall is not a franchise for you. And I don't mean that in a condescending way; But as much as I may like (for example) the Starcraft universe, I don't go around demanding it to be anything other than an RTS. Maybe there is magical middle ground, but even then some would probably argue that it still does not feel like Titanfall.

It's okay to have different opinions but people should be a bit smarter about placing sometimes absurd demands on a game where they do not necessarily belong to. Although all this was enabled because folks at Respawn for reasons beyond my comprehension saw issues in an otherwise perfect formula and sought to fix something that was not broken besides a few issues outside the core gameplay.

People are free to disagree but please do not force your opinions or personal preferences onto people who like a game for very specific reasons. Or if you do decide to voice your opinion, then the least you can do is sympathize with those who would disagree with you and try to see where they're coming from when saying they are unhappy with the direction Titanfall 2 seems to have taken.

Hipfire was trash in Titanfall 1. CAR counterweight was ok. And of course the shotgun. That's about it. If they nerf it from the tech test, it needs to be the slightest of nerfs, otherwise it's back to ADSing at all times, zzzzz. Not sure why some people get mad at others for being able to aim from the hip.

As for the rest of the discussion I don't even know wtf is going on in this thread anymore. I kinda hope Respawn has already stopped reading it.

Hipfire felt amazing in the Tech Test. They can certainly drop off accuracy at crazy cross map ranges, but if they nerf it at midrange, I'm out. Midrange Alternator hipfire was the best thing about this.

Yes, NO NERFS. Destiny PVP got significantly worse due to nerfs.

It's fine, Titanfall isn't some crazy esport. A lot of casuals need the aim assist due to the fast speeds. Aiming felt smooth as butter.

It's too much ATM which is what is making the TTK unbearably low.

Yes, NO NERFS. Destiny PVP got significantly worse due to nerfs.
I know it's petty and off-topic but I reflexively have to say that Destiny PVP is the worst thing ever. From the 30 fps, to the insane lag (kill trades separated by like 3 seconds), to the FOV.... I just... I've never liked playing video games less than when Destiny's like "oh yeah but if you want the thing you have to knock out this part of the quest in the Crucible".

But the PVE is magic.

That's disgusting, surely that's not worth doing... right?

xim on console is really nasty (I secretly want one)
XIMception on PC is kind of the apex predator. Definitely worth doing if you're looking to maximize whatever advantage you can get. The only way to neutralize it is to kill aim assist for controllers on PC. And in Titanfall a controller without the huge aim assist will not have a good time against m+k players.

I think people buying an Elite controller over a XIM are insane but then again I didn't cut my teeth on Goldeneye or Halo. I do kind of want an Elite for Rocket League though... right tool for the right job I suppose.

E92 M3

It's too much ATM which is what is making the TTK unbearably low.

Honestly, it's about the same as the first one. Halo 5 has a horrible aiming system and Respawn did a good job with TF2. It's smooth as butter and I don't want them tinkering with it.

I know it's petty and off-topic but I reflexively have to say that Destiny PVP is the worst thing ever. From the 30 fps, to the insane lag (kill trades separated by like 3 seconds), to the FOV.... I just... I've never liked playing video games less than when Destiny's like "oh yeah but if you want the thing you have to knock out this part of the quest in the Crucible".

But the PVE is magic.

XIMception on PC is kind of the apex predator. Definitely worth doing if you're looking to maximize whatever advantage you can get. The only way to neutralize it is to kill aim assist for controllers on PC. And in Titanfall a controller without the huge aim assist will not have a good time against m+k players.

I think people buying an Elite controller over a XIM are insane but then again I didn't cut my teeth on Goldeneye or Halo. I do kind of want an Elite for Rocket League though... right tool for the right job I suppose.

Last post on Destiny, but year 1 PVP was a lot better than year 2 due to all of the nerfs. MW2 was one of the best shooters ever because of all the crazy shit going on and everything being so strong.

Balance isn't inherently fun.

IDC how aim assist works on consoles, everyone plays with that aspect so it's... fair... I suppose.

But on PC, I hope they disable it completely, even with controller usage it's not fair. And it's abuse-able if you use a mouse and emulate using a controller, you get that aim assist while using a mouse. RE should follow Blizzard in disabling aim assist for controllers on the PC version.

IDC how aim assist works on consoles, everyone plays with that aspect so it's... fair... I suppose.

But on PC, I hope they disable it completely, even with controller usage it's not fair. And it's abuse-able if you use a mouse and emulate using a controller, you get that aim assist while using a mouse. RE should follow Blizzard in disabling aim assist for controllers on the PC version.

Cosigned.

Trup1aya

I have a strong Halo bias, but I prefer the hip fire. This is one change I'm ok with.

Id actually be ok if they kept hipfire accuracy as it is, and removed the movement penalties associated with ADS. It should simply increase your range.

A game about moving and shooting, shouldn't encourage you to stop moving everytime you want to shoot.

Kinda wonder how long it'll be before we hear about any further changes based on feedback, if anything at all.

I'd love to put that preorder back in, but it's gonna take some doing.

SwolBro

Banned
This all feels very contradictory to me. You do not like chaos, yet you still like fast gameplay? I hope that you realize that as the pace of the gameplay increases, so too does the chaos. One can't ask for one when they are inherently related to each other.

At the fast end of that spectrum you have games like Quake, Unreal Tournament and to a certain extend, Titanfall 1. .
Not entirely true. Titanfall 1 is far more chaotic than those games despite those games being faster. Titanfall is not only chaotic because of the speed, it's chaotic because of the a.i shooting you, the titans, etc.

On the contrary, aim assist needs nerfing something fierce.

Don't you play on PC?

Yeah, but people still play with controller/xim on PC to benefit from aim assist.
He does play on PC and he has his own selfish reasons for suggesting the perfect aiming of Titanfall 2 to be nerfed. He gets salty, just like all the PC players when losing to game pad players.

Anyways, the hipfire is nice in Titanfall 2, but it's a little too nice. It needs a reduction on all guns. Hipfire shouldn't be more accurate or as accurate as ADS.

Honestly, it's about the same as the first one. Halo 5 has a horrible aiming system and Respawn did a good job with TF2. It's smooth as butter and I don't want them tinkering with it.

Last post on Destiny, but year 1 PVP was a lot better than year 2 due to all of the nerfs. MW2 was one of the best shooters ever because of all the crazy shit going on and everything being so strong.

Balance isn't inherently fun.

Agree that year one was better. MW2 was iffy though. I think we discussed before though (or I'm having deja vu).

SwolBro

Banned
Try playing dirty bomb. It in no way makes the game worse to have hipfire as accurate as ADS.

What's wrong with Hipfire being as accurate as ADS?
then no one would ADS and you might as well play Halo. the point of ADS is to use ads most of the time for accurate shots. i'm not a fan of having hipfire and ADS be the same accuracy, just a design decision i do not agree with. being able to move, jump, and do crazy shit and hit shots with ADS is a skill you have to acquire. An accurate hipfire is a lot easier and less challenging to pull off

then no one would ADS and you might as well play Halo. the point of ADS is to use ads most of the time for accurate shots. i'm not a fan of having hipfire and ADS be the same accuracy, just a design decision i do not agree with. being able to move, jump, and do crazy shit and hit shots with ADS is a skill you have to acquire. An accurate hipfire is a lot easier and less challenging to pull off

What does Halo have to do with anything? Why do people keep suggesting someone should play another game, be it cod or halo? That's just very weird.

Accurate hipfire is not easier to aim. And hitting someone who is moving fast using hipfire makes for a much higher skill game than ADSing. It's not even funny.

Accurate hipfire is the best thing that they could have done to TF gameplay, especially with the SMGs which have an even higher emphasis of shooting on the move, giving you access to shooting while sprinting for example.

Not entirely true. Titanfall 1 is far more chaotic than those games despite those games being faster. Titanfall is not only chaotic because of the speed, it's chaotic because of the a.i shooting you, the titans, etc.

He does play on PC and he has his own selfish reasons for suggesting the perfect aiming of Titanfall 2 to be nerfed. He gets salty, just like all the PC players when losing to game pad players.

Anyways, the hipfire is nice in Titanfall 2, but it's a little too nice. It needs a reduction on all guns. Hipfire shouldn't be more accurate or as accurate as ADS.

Yes, because this shit is skillful.

mOlkxfS.gif

gIjkquB.gif

(this is me not touching the right stick at all on very high sensitivity)

Come on. It's only "perfect" because it does half the job for you.

SwolBro

Banned
What does Halo have to do with anything? Why do people keep suggesting someone should play another game, be it cod or halo? That's just very weird.

Accurate hipfire is not easier to aim. And hitting someone who is moving fast using hipfire makes for a much higher skill game than ADSing. It's not even funny.

Accurate hipfire is the best thing that they could have done to TF gameplay, especially with the SMGs which have an even higher emphasis of shooting on the move, giving you access to shooting while sprinting for example.

maybe from a PC standpoint, sure. did you forget on console we have aim assist? it changes things.

Yes, because this shit is skillful.

mOlkxfS.gif

(this is me not touching the right stick at all on very high sensitivity)

Come on. It's only "perfect" because it does half the job for you.

Dude, why do i have to get into this argument with you? Don't you know by now that without aim-assist it would be like you playing Kb/m with your fucking feet?

two things would happen without aim assist on console: 1- you'd either have normal sensitivity and erratic shooting or 2. you'd have to lower your sensitivity settings so goddamn low that you would barely be able to turn. That's the limitations of gamepads and joysticks, it is what it is.

So go away with this nonsense. if you can't deal with a gamepad player playing on PC despite all your other inherent advantages with Kb/m then maybe come to grips with not being as good as you think you are.

maybe from a PC standpoint, sure. did you forget on console we have aim assist? it changes things.

Dude, why do i have to get into this argument with you? Don't you know by now that without aim-assist it would be like you playing Kb/m with your fucking feet?

two things would happen without aim assist on console: 1- you'd either have normal sensitivity and erratic shooting or 2. you'd have to lower your sensitivity settings so goddamn low that you would barely be able to turn. That's the limitations of gamepads and joysticks, it is what it is.

So go away with this nonsense. if you can't deal with a gamepad player playing on PC despite all your other inherent advantages with Kb/m then maybe realize you're not as good as you think you are.

Halo 5 does controller shooting well without babying the player.

SwolBro

Banned
Halo 5 does controller shooting well without babying the player.

Halo is also A LOT slower. Regardless, it still has aim-assit, so much so that i'm sure PC players would complain about it if it were on PC and allowed controller users the same luxuries. You'd hear the same exact bitching.

Why does that change things for hipfire accuracy? OW is played on console without ADS except on snipers. I'm just not seeing your point here.

um, exactly. it's not an ADS based shooter. lol

Halo is also A LOT slower. Regardless, it still has aim-assit, so much so that i'm sure PC players would complain about it if it were on PC and allowed controller users the same luxuries. You'd hear the same exact bitching.

I don't think controller complaints on PC are that common because typically PC players don't know it has aim assist or to what extent aim assist helps. My main problem is that it's not difficult to trick the game into thinking you're using a controller with a mouse. But I could also see that if the aim assist is too helpful, it doesn't even matter if the cheating potential is there, it may not be a fair playing field.

um, exactly. it's not an ADS based shooter. lol

You haven't clarified much if anything. I don't think aim assist is relevant towards hipfire accuracy. You said it changes things, what does it change? OW is a shooter that has no ADS so whats the problem?

WillyFive

I got into Titanfall because it's one of the very few PC FPS games that let you use a controller without the handicap of no aim-assist. It losing it would suck a lot, trying to use a controller while KB+M players have a massive advantage.

SwolBro

Banned
I know that Halo 5 also has magnetism, etc. It's just a lot more subtle and less hand-holdy than it was in the TF2 tech test.
You don't know to what extent each gun in either game has more or less aim assist unless you did a side by side comparison.
You think titanfall is worse because it's a faster TTK, easier to kill with a random spray of bullets.

I don't think controller complaints on PC are that common because typically PC players don't know it has aim assist or to what extent aim assist helps. My main problem is that it's not difficult to trick the game into thinking you're using a controller with a mouse. But I could also see that if the aim assist is too helpful, it doesn't even matter if the cheating potential is there, it may not be a fair playing field.

fair playing field for whom? kb/m should still have the advantage. you can do so many more things and do them faster, way faster. you already have far better precision with kb/m, WITH the ability to a 180 with a flick of the wrist.

this is an absurd argument, really.

You haven't clarified much if anything. I don't think aim assist is relevant towards hipfire accuracy. You said it changes things, what does it change? OW is a shooter that has no ADS so whats the problem?
ADS is supposed to allow for higher precision aiming, if you had just as high hipfire then a hipfire player would have an advantage. It's harder to ADS on a controller and still retain mobility like you could with hipfire. It's much harder than on kb/m.

On kb/m you can go from ADS to hipfire and back insanely fast, and still maintain your maneuverability. It's not like that on console.. bouncing off walls while ADSing, etc is a skill not easily acquired.

You don't know to what extent each gun in either game has more or less aim assist unless you did a side by side comparison.
You think titanfall is worse because it's a faster TTK, easier to kill with a random spray of bullets.

fair playing field for whom? kb/m should still have the advantage. you can do so many more things and do them faster, way faster. you already have far better precision with kb/m, WITH the ability to a 180 with a flick of the wrist.

this is an absurd argument, really.

The expectation is that if you are on PC, you are using KB/M. There is no good reason to introduce aim assist in that space, even if you are using controller.

WillyFive

The expectation is that if you are on PC, you are using KB/M. There is no good reason to introduce aim assist in that space, even if you are using controller.

Although a majority of players will use KB/M, that should definitely not be a reason to make non-KB+M players severely handicapped. It makes the game unplayable for anyone that isn't using KB/M, which defeats the entire purpose of allowing controllers. What a terrible post.

Although a majority of players will use KB/M, that should definitely not be a reason to make non-KB+M players severely handicapped. It makes the game unplayable for anyone that isn't using KB/M, which defeats the entire purpose of allowing controllers. What a terrible post.

That's like saying the game should be capped at 60fps even if people have a 144fps display.

Top Bottom