• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

Izuna

Banned
Hopefully they're much more sparse tbh. I like the ziplines but too many ziplines made some maps a bit obnoxious, especially CTF maps that made some routes too easy to run flags through.

This was never the case imo. Use of ziplines in some maps was like using jump pads in Quake 3. You are guaranteed to die by any half-decent player that sees you.

rackham

Banned
Ziplines were a great risk/reward mechanic.

Your risk was being easily spotted and shot down while the reward was getting to a harder to reach area very quickly.

I really hate that Respawn listened to the whiners and now titanfall 2 sucks.
I enjoyed that you had to be a teammate and capture the objectives before you can get your Titan towards the second half of the match. Now everyone is getting a Titan within 2 mins into the match and getting 2-3 Titans per match ruining the match and making it so chaotic.
The wall running seems forced and like the computer is controlling it. I liked that it felt heavy to wall run and felt like you had more control.
I really didn't liked titanfall 1 but I really enjoyed titanfall 2. It felt like an upgrade to Titanfall 1.
I'm very disappointed.

E92 M3

I enjoyed that you had to be a teammate and capture the objectives before you can get your Titan towards the second half of the match. Now everyone is getting a Titan within 2 mins into the match and getting 2-3 Titans per match.
The wall ruining seems forced and like the computer is controlling it. I liked that it felt heavy to wall run and felt like you had more control.
I really didn't liked titanfall 1 but I really enjoyed titanfall 2. It felt like an upgrade to Titanfall 1.
I'm very disappointed.

The fuck?

TITANS SHOULDN'T BE A REWARD - EVERY PLAYER IS ENTITLED TO ONE

I will keep saying that until everyone understands Titans are just as important as Pilots. The game has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY better since they upped the speed of Titanfall. Honestly, the game might not be for you. Titanfall fans are trying to salvage as much as possible and bring it back to its roots.

The fuck?

TITANS SHOULDN'T BE A REWARD - EVERY PLAYER IS ENTITLED TO ONE

I will keep saying that until everyone understands Titans are just as important as Pilots. The game has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY better since they upped the speed of Titanfall. Honestly, the game might not be for you. Titanfall fans are trying to salvage as much as possible and bring it back to its roots.

No, Titans SHOULDNT BE AN ENTITLEMENT. You should earn it by working as a team. If you just want to play as a Titan than request a mode where you get a Titan as soon as you spawn. They had a really good formula in titanfall 2 too.
They lost my money.

Revas

I like how the non-custom titans allows them to balance them better and give them clearer advantages and disadvantages. The titans work more like a weapon than a separate player you transform into.

Scorch is a damage monster and really can fuck up other players and Titans, but he's slow as balls and useless at longer/mid range.

Ion is more balanced with a dash and effective long range options but at close range he loses to scorch easily.

And if you're thinking Titan fights are just 1 dimensional and dooming at the same time you're not using batteries, or using your auto titan to distract and do damage while you either rodeo the other Titan or use your Titan weapon to deal damage as well.

Theres a lot of ways to approach it depending on the situation. Sometimes it's best just to not engage if there's multiple titans around.

I think Titan fights in the TT lacked the depth that Titan fights had in R1. Yes Scorch and Ion both have their strengths and weaknesses and while it's not a complete **** show, when facing off against the same Titan that I'm using its pretty boring. TT maps did not help any.

E92 M3

No, Titans SHOULDNT BE AN ENTITLEMENT. You should earn it by working as a team. If you just want to play as a Titan than request a mode where you get a Titan as soon as you spawn. They had a really good formula in titanfall 2 too.
They lost my money.

No offense, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Titans are a FUNDAMENTAL part of the game - CoD players have a really tough time understanding that. Respawn are trying to save the game, not appease people that will quit in November anyways.

No offense, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Titans are a FUNDAMENTAL part of the game - CoD players have a really tough time understanding that. Respawn are trying to save the game, not appease people that will quit in November anyways.
No offense but if you don't want to move on to something new and different there's always titanfall 1 that you can go back to.
Yes Titans are a fundamental part of the game but it's not fun when you have 2-3 Titans already causing chaos within the first 2 mins of the match.

E92 M3

No offense but if you don't want to move on to something new and different there's always titanfall 1 that you can go back to.
Yes Titans are a fundamental part of the game but it's not fun when you have 2-3 Titans already causing chaos within the first 2 mins of the match.

It's a lot more fun than Pilots running around a map that doesn't even have parkour in mind. Titans can be Taken down easy enough anyways. In fact, Titanfall 2 is missing most of the chaos present in the first game. Titanfall fans want Titanfall. Just like Halo fans want Halo and CoD fans want CoD.

I had so much more fun with faster TItan build time. If they change it back to weekend 1 settings then I won't buy the game.

Keasar

They lost my money.

you+are+not.PNG

'Murica. Yeeeh

I liked it better when all players had access to Titans like in TF1, they acted as power-ups but if you were not careful other players could quickly take that away from you, and I did. A lot. So many Titans died by my hands. Glorious stuff.

I also liked it better cause you earned them much faster and they, by that extent, were also expendable. And I sacrificed many of my own Titans. So many of my Titans died by my hands just so I could get that one pilot kill. Glorious stuff.

Revas

What's the problem with 2-3 Titans on the map 2 minutes in?

It's a lot more fun than Pilots running around a map that doesn't even have parkour in mind. Titans can be Taken down easy enough anyways. In fact, Titanfall 2 is missing most of the chaos present in the first game. Titanfall fans want Titanfall. Just like Halo fans want Halo and CoD fans want CoD.

I had so much more fun with faster TItan build time. If they change it back to weekend 1 settings then I won't buy the game.

The pilot parkour was just perfect in week 1 settings. You didn't have that superhero speed when running on the walls. The hook made it even more fun to get to places and kill pilots and Titans. It was a good balance.

I know that most of the chaos is not present in Titanfall 2, which is one of the best things that could happen to it. Nobody wants to play with people that just runs around and not doing team based objectives. You were rewarded for being a teammate. It was fun having only a couple of Titans at the time during the game. It gave you the opportunity to rethink strategies to take down Titans. Now you got 2-3 Titans trying to take you down.

There's a reason why titanfall 1 died pretty quick after launch. Now I would expect the same from Titanfall 2. Because I was going to buy it day 1 and now I'm not. Some of my friends are in the same boat that I am.

What's the problem with 2-3 Titans on the map 2 minutes in?
In my opinion is too chaotic and takes away the fun of trying to capture objectives and trying to kill other pilots.

I don't want to be trying to capture a base and have 2-3 Titans already shooting at me. I loved what they had on the week 1 settings.

Izuna

Banned
Yeesh. What's going on in here.

If you want the weighty feel, you can still play the Training. It's exactly the same as week 1.

Edit: I'm gunna go try and get R1 for PC. :D

Keasar

There's a reason why titanfall 1 died pretty quick after launch. Now I would expect the same from Titanfall 2. Because I was going to buy it day 1 and now I'm not. Some of my friends are in the same boat that I am.

The lack of initial content and lacklustre post release updates that only introduced 9 maps and nothing else in DLC's that further split the community off into separate playlists since there existed nothing that had it all until years later when they released the Season Pass for free to everyone and created a unified playlist?

The gameplay was praised to hell, for me it was a slightly slower and more modern version of games like Quake and Unreal Tournament, it was great.

E92 M3

The pilot parkour was just perfect in week 1 settings. You didn't have that superhero speed when running on the walls. The hook made it even more fun to get to places and kill pilots and Titans. It was a good balance.

I know that most of the chaos is not present in Titanfall 2, which is one of the best things that could happen to it. Nobody wants to play with people that just runs around and not doing team based objectives. You were rewarded for being a teammate. It was fun having only a couple of Titans at the time during the game. It gave you the opportunity to rethink strategies to take down Titans. Now you got 2-3 Titans trying to take you down.

Titanfall 1 died for a couple reasons:

- The Xbone was a vastly unpopular console
- People love chasing carrots and the game didn't have enough of that

There are plenty of other games that cater to the slower types of battles you desire, but Titanfall isn't one of them. I don't understand why all shooters have to be homogenized? Respawn created a game that was a breath of fresh air.

If you don't like what Titanfall is, that's fine play something else.

--

The Souls franchise should be the perfect inspiration for all developers: Cater to the fans you have and don't dilute your game. Tons of people wanted Souls to have maps, easy mode and other things - but Miyazaki never faltered.

Revas

In my opinion is too chaotic and takes away the fun of trying to capture objectives and trying to kill other pilots.

I don't want to be trying to capture a base and have 2-3 Titans already shooting at me. I loved what they had on the week 1 settings.

For me titans are so integral to the game that it's kind of odd when they aren't making impact. I enjoy the calm in the beginning of the game when it's just pilots (and AI), but after the first wave in Bounty Hunt the good players should be dropping titans. I thought the rate that I earned my titan in the 2nd week of the TT was about right.

You can run around and parkour and still play the objective. If you were content to not play the objective in week 1, the movement settings still allowed you to run around without being a good team mate.

I really, really don't think chaos had much to do with people leaving R1. It just didn't have enough stuff for most people. I've been active in R1 communities pretty much since launch and Steve Fukuda was the first person I heard criticizing the game for being too chaotic.

Titanfall 1 died for a couple reasons:

- The Xbone was a vastly unpopular console
- People love chasing carrots and the game didn't have enough of that

There are plenty of other games that cater to the slower types of battles you desire, but Titanfall isn't one of them. I don't understand why all shooters have to be homogenized? Respawn created a game that was a breath of fresh air.

If you don't like what Titanfall is, that's fine play something else.

Yes gameplay was great it was fast paced which I really liked and titanfall 2 carry that. I really like the way titanfall 2 controls, the guns are well balanced and everything is good as far as gameplay.

My grip is how chaotic and unorganized it is now.
You know there's a reason why Respawn opted to optimize Titanfall 2 to week 1 settings. And like I said before if you didn't like it then you should of went back to titanfall 1.

E92 M3

Yes gameplay was great it was fast paced which I really liked and titanfall 2 carry that. I really like the way titanfall 2 controls, the guns are well balanced and everything is good as far as gameplay.

You know there's a reason why Respawn opted to optimize Titanfall 2 to week 1 settings. And like I said before if you didn't like it then you should of went back to titanfall 1.

It's not chaotic if you know what's going on. Why should the old fans have to leave for the old game when the old fans made it popular? The sequel is here because of us. That is some backwards logic. Let's be real, son: you and your friends will leave as soon as the CoD releases.

Titanfall is a fast game. Did you ever play Unreal Tournament or Quake?

Trup1aya

If I can shoot my gas, primary and flame wall all at once, giving me enough time to dash away and use smoke, I can wait until they all recharge again. The fact that I have activation time to use each is the only thing that stops me from utterly destroying a Titan all at once.

I don't know, Titan's being 1 dimensional is more to do with the Primaries and slow movement.

If you are suggesting that there are no potential downsides to "blowing your load" all at once, then IMO that's an issue with balancing of the abilities, not with the idea of multitasking.

I think people want Titan fall 2 to be successful. Part of the reason they were holding a Tech Test was to get feedback.

If you have an attitude that people that didn't like Week 1 should shut up and go play the original, then you are encouraging an echo chamber environment. By that's logic, Respawn shouldn't have had a test and instead, should have told every to just be happy with whatever they get.

Revas

Week 1 reminded me of the CoD with wallrunning, I think it's BO3. It's something that you COULD do but it didn't really impact the game that much. In Titanfall parkour should be really impactful. Saying that we could go back to R1 is just as relevant as saying that those that don't like the week 2 setting can just go play BO3.

It's not chaotic if you know what's going on. Why should the old fans have to leave for the old game when the old fans made it popular? The sequel is here because of us. That is some backwards logic. Let's be real, son: you and your friends will leave as soon as the CoD releases.

Titanfall is a fast game. Did you ever play Unreal Tournament or Quake?
I've played unreal tournament. Not my cup of tea.
I have said before that Titanfall 2 is nowhere near as chaotic as the first one. Well now it's a little more chaotic after the update. Respawn is trying to grow and appeal to more people. They're not trying to just appeal you, things change all the time.

By the way I've been done with CoD for years. I really don't even play video games anymore but I wanted to try Titanfall 2 and it pulled me back into gaming. I played the whole weekend compared to only a couple days of Titanfall 1.

E92 M3

I've played unreal tournament. Not my cup of tea.
I have said before that Titanfall 2 is nowhere near as chaotic as the first one. Well now it's a little more chaotic after the update. Respawn is trying to grow and appeal to more people. They're not trying to just appeal you, things change all the time.

By the way I've been done with CoD for years. I really don't even play video games anymore but I wanted to try Titanfall 2 and it pulled me back into gaming. I played the whole weekend compared to only a couple days of Titanfall 1.

I am being serious here, but you should try Black Ops 3? They've stolen a lot from Titanfall and slowed things down. I actually think you might like it. I am sorry for making assumptions, but the game you want Titanfall to be is a game most fans don't want. Respawn started changing things because of all the disappointment.

rac

Banned
The problem I have with titanfall 2 so far is the maps. A huge field in which they stuck one random wall, a building that's cramped with doorways and halls that feels claustrophobic, and a city area that encourages camping and has a huge deadzone in the middle of the map.

My favorite part of tf1 was wall riding and the hip fire, and of what I played of titanfall 2, while fun, just doesn't match it. And I didn't even play very much of tf1.

I am being serious here, but you should try Black Ops 3? They've stolen a lot from Titanfall and slowed things down. I actually think you might like it. I am sorry for making assumptions, but the game you want Titanfall to be is a game most fans don't want. Respawn started changing things because of all the disappointment.
Black ops 3 was garbage. Even the zombies mode was garbage. I don't like slow gameplay, I love the fast paced gameplay of Titanfall 1&2. The Titan timer and wall running is what killed Titanfall 1 for me and now it's killing Titanfall 2 after the update.

A lot of people didn't like that MW2 had way more killstreaks than MW1 or the faster gameplay. Yet MW2 is one of the best online shooters ever made.

E92 M3

Black ops 3 was garbage. Even the zombies mode was garbage. I don't like slow gameplay, I love the fast paced gameplay of Titanfall 1&2. The Titan timer and wall running is what killed Titanfall 1 for me and now it's killing Titanfall 2 after the update.

A lot of people didn't like that MW2 had way more killstreaks than MW1 or the faster gameplay. Yet MW2 is one of the best online shooters ever made.

Well, I agree with you there - MW2 was one of the best online shooters I ever played lol.

Revas

Titans and wallrunning is Titanfall though.

Titans and wallrunning is Titanfall though.
I'm very aware of that. They had the perfect wall running and perfect Titanfall timer in Titanfall 2 before the update. I hate that people want Titans just handed to them instead of working to get one as fast as possible.
They had won me over the Titanfall craze with TF2 after the huge disappointment TF1 was for me. Now it looks like I won't purchase. I'll move on. I was just trying to voice my opinions after the change.

Izuna

Banned

Wallrunning killed Titanfall for you?

Okay maybe... maybe you should git gud?

Anyway, I can get a Titan within 20 seconds of attacking another, regardless of the update. It's honestly not a big change imo.

Question, did you even play the update? -- do you know that Training Mode hasn't change at all?

This was never the case imo. Use of ziplines in some maps was like using jump pads in Quake 3. You are guaranteed to die by any half-decent player that sees you.

That isn't true even on PC. Some maps did zip lines pretty well, others just overused them. I can think of a couple that just made CTF routes too easy. Some were the fastest route by foot too.

Izuna

Banned
That isn't true even on PC. Some maps did zip lines pretty well, others just overused them. I can think of a couple that just made CTF routes too easy. Some were the fastest route by foot too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk39IhJDyoM

I don't have all the clips to demonstrate this, but ziplines had nothing on good CTF play.

If you are suggesting that there are no potential downsides to "blowing your load" all at once, then IMO that's an issue with balancing of the abilities, not with the idea of multitasking.

I am suggesting that. But I'd rather Respawn not try to completely regear Titans. Their issue is their speed and lackluster primaries, not overall design. This is one area that while I prefer in R1, it's not THAT important.

Revas

I rarely use zip lines, it provides one of the few times in the game where you're on a predictable trajectory. People who overused them were mostly cannon fodder, but I've seen some work magic in CTF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk39IhJDyoM

I don't have all the clips to demonstrate this, but ziplines had nothing on good CTF play.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with ziplines in general, just the abundance on certain maps. And in general you're starting off from a slow pace when you pick up the flag from their base, making ziplines give you the fastest speed boost when they're right next to the flag point.

I don't even know what you're trying to say with that clip. I know you can move fast... I played the game for quite a long time and knew about bunny hopping and strafe jumping from pretty much day 1 or earlier.

Izuna

Banned
Like I said, I don't have a problem with ziplines in general, just the abundance on certain maps. And in general you're starting off from a slow pace when you pick up the flag from their base, making ziplines give you the fastest speed boost when they're right next to the flag point.

I don't even know what you're trying to say with that clip. I know you can move fast... I played the game for quite a long time and knew about bunny hopping and strafe jumping from pretty much day 1 or earlier.

I mean, I'm just saying that I have no example in my mind of what you could be talking about. Which maps? Which lane? It's not entirely important, but if IMC Rising is any example, even those maps didn't have enough (I wish Pilots had a way to traverse the sand on top etc..)

I can't imagine ever using a cross map zipline in R2... I'll get murdered as I'll glow as if I'm a flag carrier.

SwolBro

Banned
I'd argue that it adds strategy, rather than removing it. Titans are too slow now to be able to dodge all of the opponent's stuff at once. I feel like both Titans will get Doomed in a 1v1 most of the time.

Titans do have more variety of attacks all at once here. It's not directly comparable.
We'll have to wait and see. These two Titans might have been the slowest, it looks like we'll have two stryder type classes this time though.

If anything, the smart pistol contributed to people never getting decent at Titanfall. .
This is true and it pushed out a lot of people. It's an awful weapon, one of the worst in FPS history.

It's not nostalgia goggle's. People are very aware that TF1 had flaws. But we had a general expectation that TF2 would build upon the successes of TF1 and fix the flaws. Instead, it appears the baby was thrown out with the bath water. TF1's core gameplay loop is superior to TF2's at the present.

Love parkouring around the map? Great here's a bunch of open fields with no cover and no walls to run on.

Love feeling empowered as a pilot v Titan ? Great, we've locked rodeors into a canned animation that is easily exploitable by Titan users

Liked having a standard set of abilities that would allow you to be effective regardless of your loadout/kit? Great, because we designed the maps so that only people with the proper gear selected can excel.

Liked the chaos associated with having AI liven up the battlefield. Good, we've made then scarce.

Loved the immersion of the excellent first person presentation. Great we now transition to 3rd person, and it's predictably disorienting at times.

They took 1 step forward, two steps back. This game would have been much better if they just fixed the things you listed.
Valid points that i think Respawn will take into consideration and will most likely than not tweak in some capacity.

Some of those aren't that bad. You can't really spam grenades unless you're using a burn card, and the arc grenades aren't that effective against pilots. Smart pistol is an old debate, but I don't meet that many players using it, showing that it's not the ultimate weapon in the game (I only use it myself when I want to farm bots more than kill pilots).
I think the arc cannon is more effective without the capacitor (you have more control on your shots), and I don't think nuclear explosion is that effective either (you usually have more than enough time to run for cover and avoid it).
Uh, i should probably just ignore this post...yeah, lets move on.

I've said before that the time to kill is not factually different from titanfall 1, but a result of the slower movement and auto aim, as well as the increased visibility on players, and the maps having more wide open spaces that are meant to be dangerous to be in on purpose.

Pilots were really hard to pick out from the environment in titanfall 1 for new players. It was pretty frustrating to get killed by players you didnt notice.
Yeah, it's not different. Other things are contributing to the TTK feeling lower

When I played I didn't even know titans had smoke, I thought one had vortex and the other the fire shield.
That's because the UI was terrible. I've stayed away from criticizing it because i think it might just be place holder for the tech test

I think only bad players trade Titan kills. They can't be played the same as the pilots. That's why this franchise is so great - two games in one basically.
Exactly, this is one of my main concerns that they took away this other dimension of the game. Titan combat needs to be just as good as the pilot combat.

The pilot parkour was just perfect in week 1 settings. You didn't have that superhero speed when running on the walls..
Please, no. Just, no. There's blop3 for you and your friends.

I enjoyed that you had to be a teammate and capture the objectives before you can get your Titan towards the second half of the match. Now everyone is getting a Titan within 2 mins into the match and getting 2-3 Titans per match ruining the match and making it so chaotic.
The wall running seems forced and like the computer is controlling it. I liked that it felt heavy to wall run and felt like you had more control.
I'm very disappointed.

LOL wut?

The Titan vs Pilot(s) interplay is the central crux of the Titan Fall gameplay loop.

Titans should not be some rare occurrence for each player, per match. They aren't kill streak rewards a la COD. Limiting the usage of Titans and forcing players to 'earn' them makes about as much sense as limiting the use of parkour and forcing players to 'earn' wall-running. It's nonsensical to lock a central pillar of the gameplay loop behind an in-match progression wall.

They should be relatively common, and there should be a steady churn through the build cycle to ensure relatively consistent Titan vs Pilot interaction throughout the match. Good players will still have faster build timers than bad players, they will get their Titans faster, they will make their Titans last longer. But poorer players still get in on the fun and a chance to experience Titan vs Titan combat and Titan vs Pilot combat from the POV of the giant robot.

If Titans are relatively rare, the game isn't balanced properly.

The week 2 balance changes to Titan build times were a HUGE improvement.

Now the key issues are map design and mode design.

I'm very disappointed.
If you feel disappointed how do you think fans of titanfall 1 feel right now?

SwolBro

Banned

Don't speak for everyone. There's a lot of people very eager for the games release and most really good players are excited with the possibilities they've seen from the tech test.

WOW, i saw this posted on the subbreddit.

http://imgur.com/BTY0Siu

For those of you that think amped perk shouldn't be removed and that claim hipfire accuracy is "fine"

that's absurd, Respawn, seriously dudes.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Basically, nobody is happy, not the OG's or the newbies who remember there good times of the first weekend.

What a cluster(missile) fuck.

That crappy joke is all I came to post. Sorry.

Don't speak for everyone. There's a lot of people very eager for the games release and most really good players are excited with the possibilities they've seen from the tech test.

For those of you that think amped perk shouldn't be removed and that claim hipfire accuracy is "fine"

Hip fire could probably use a nerf at extreme range, but I want it to be super good at least out to medium range. Gives the gunplay a unique and satisfying flavor from most other stuff that's out there. Also keeps the game moving fast.

EL CUCO

I went back to watch a bunch of Titanfall 1 footage, and the only thing I could say looks better are the map layouts. Apart from a few features like having to chose between sidearm and anti titan, everything else seemed like a substantial improvement from TF1. I think I even prefer the 3rd person animation for jumping into Titans. They just need to smooth out the animation a bit, or make it a tad quicker.

You should just play call of duty then.

E92 M3

That's awesome - I am all for hipfire. ADS just slows things down. That said, sniping cross map with an SMG seems like a glitch.

Gator86

I'm very disappointed.

I couldn't be happier your idea of Titanfall is dead. Having titans in play is the core component of the game, and that counts for both sides. It's fun fighting titans and using them. They are essential for the game to function. Titans aren't a fucking killstreak.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I went back to watch a bunch of Titanfall 1 footage, and the only thing I could say looks better are the map layouts. Apart from a few features like having to chose between sidearm and anti titan, everything else seemed like a substantial improvement from TF1. I think I even prefer the 3rd person animation for jumping into Titans, they just need to smooth out the animation a bit, or make it a tad quicker.

I don't think watching videos can express it really, is that your only recent experience of Titanfall?

SwolBro

Banned
Hip fire could probably use a nerf at extreme range, but I want it to be super good at least out to medium range. Gives the gunplay a unique and satisfying flavor from most other stuff that's out there. Also keeps the game moving fast.
I like it better than where Titanfall 1 hipfire is at but man it's a bit too strong, no? They should do something about it.

That's awesome - I am all for hipfire. ADS just slows things down. That said, sniping cross map with an SMG seems like a glitch.

That isn't a glitch, that's amped. lol

Top Bottom